HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 7.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2013, 07:30 AM
  #1
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,551
vCash: 500
2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 7.0

Continue the draft discussion here SVP...

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 07:59 AM
  #2
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,815
vCash: 612
Last night makes me want Bergevin to break the bank for Nurse or Zadorov.

le_sean is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 08:05 AM
  #3
ccgg
Registered User
 
ccgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rimouski
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,526
vCash: 500
Baie-Comeau vs Halifax tonight.

Félix Girard, Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau, Jérémy Grégoire, Valentin Zykov, Philippe Cadorette vs Mac Weeger, Jonathan Drouin, Nathan MacKinnon, Matt Murphy, Zachary Fucale

It should be very interesting. Lot of good 17/18 years old players for the draft and all the history between MacKinnon and Baie-Comeau.

ccgg is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 08:57 AM
  #4
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Last night makes me want Bergevin to break the bank for Nurse or Zadorov.
Why? You think they would have thrown Anderson off his game?

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 09:10 AM
  #5
JustAHabFan
Registered User
 
JustAHabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Why? You think they would have thrown Anderson off his game?
Karlsson will not be able to dance through the defense without even a touch. Price will not be screened while Methot took the shot. No way Latendresse could push to the net like that. I have said before, we should try to trade up to about 10th spot to get one of Nurse or Zadorov.

JustAHabFan is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 09:20 AM
  #6
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Karlsson will not be able to dance through the defense without even a touch. Price will not be screened while Methot took the shot. No way Latendresse could push to the net like that. I have said before, we should try to trade up to about 10th spot to get one of Nurse or Zadorov.
They should have stood up Karlsson and Turris at the blueline, but in order to win playoff games your goalie HAS to stop weak ass shots like that one and the Silverburg one.

I think you're living in la la land if you think players can't screen your goalie because you have a couple big d-men. 3 of the players screening on the 3rd goal were closer to the blueline than the net.

Fans need to stop grasping at straws, our skaters badly dominated theirs and their goalie dominated ours.

They also got lucky on their last 2 goals(through 43 bodies on the 3rd, then off Subban on the 4th) and the Habs 3rd(nice dive by Anderson, goal should have counted).

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 10:14 AM
  #7
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,815
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Why? You think they would have thrown Anderson off his game?
Okay, maybe not just last night. But the entire season should have made it clear that the team needs some size on defence. Look at the difference Tinordi has made on the PK alone, and he's a rookie. Get Nurse or Zadorov in the system to go with Dietz and Tinordi. We have the finesse guys in Subban and Beaulieu.

le_sean is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 10:46 AM
  #8
MaxLacoste
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Okay, maybe not just last night. But the entire season should have made it clear that the team needs some size on defence. Look at the difference Tinordi has made on the PK alone, and he's a rookie. Get Nurse or Zadorov in the system to go with Dietz and Tinordi. We have the finesse guys in Subban and Beaulieu.
Samuel Morin is also a good option if we can't trade up.

MaxLacoste is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 10:48 AM
  #9
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Okay, maybe not just last night. But the entire season should have made it clear that the team needs some size on defence. Look at the difference Tinordi has made on the PK alone, and he's a rookie. Get Nurse or Zadorov in the system to go with Dietz and Tinordi. We have the finesse guys in Subban and Beaulieu.
That's why they signed Emelin 2 years ago and drafted Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Didier and traded for Pateryn.

I don't see size on defense as a big need based on who they have at this point. Other than Diaz the rest of the defense and prospects are all above 6' and 200lbs...a non issue.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 10:50 AM
  #10
JustAHabFan
Registered User
 
JustAHabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
That's why they signed Emelin 2 years ago and drafted Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Didier and traded for Pateryn.

I don't see size on defense as a big need based on who they have at this point. Other than Diaz the rest of the defense and prospects are all above 6' and 200lbs...a non issue.
Size may not be the issue but nastiness. play with an edge on defense is an issue.

JustAHabFan is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 10:56 AM
  #11
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Size may not be the issue but nastiness. play with an edge on defense is an issue.
Emelin is one of the "meanest" defensemen in the NHL, hits like a truck and doesn't pick his spots.

Subban throws some huge hits.

Tinordi is probably THE best "big mean stay at home" defense prospect in the game.

If you load up with big behemoths that only hit you won't win anything. LA won the cup with a pretty small defense and only Greene as a big bruiser.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:08 AM
  #12
BrimStone64
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
That's why they signed Emelin 2 years ago and drafted Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Didier and traded for Pateryn.

I don't see size on defense as a big need based on who they have at this point. Other than Diaz the rest of the defense and prospects are all above 6' and 200lbs...a non issue.
Bouillon? Gorges?

BrimStone64 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:14 AM
  #13
Tribu
Registered User
 
Tribu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Thrower and Dietz are also tough guys if they pan out.

Tribu is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:21 AM
  #14
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Bouillon? Gorges?
Gorges is 6'1" 205lbs and Bouillon won't be here long term he is 37. His spot get taken up by 6'7" Tinordi, 6'3" Beaulieu 6'2" Pateryn or Ellis or Didier Dietz etc all at 6' + 200+lbs.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:25 AM
  #15
Templeton
Registered User
 
Templeton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rimouski
Country: Canada
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Bouillon? Gorges?
Gorges ???

Templeton is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:29 AM
  #16
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,815
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
That's why they signed Emelin 2 years ago and drafted Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Didier and traded for Pateryn.

I don't see size on defense as a big need based on who they have at this point. Other than Diaz the rest of the defense and prospects are all above 6' and 200lbs...a non issue.
They aren't mean. Emelin is a threat for an open ice hit, but after the whistle he isn't an intimidating player. Only Tinordi is.

le_sean is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:58 AM
  #17
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,742
vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=669004

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 11:59 AM
  #18
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
They aren't mean. Emelin is a threat for an open ice hit, but after the whistle he isn't an intimidating player. Only Tinordi is.
Games are won before not after the whistle. Toronto dressed a bunch of good "after the whistle" guys against Boston and got badly outplayed. Give me a big hitter like Emelin any day over a pilon like Carkner that will shove guys after the puck is in his net.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:11 PM
  #19
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 6,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Emelin is one of the "meanest" defensemen in the NHL, hits like a truck and doesn't pick his spots.

Subban throws some huge hits.

Tinordi is probably THE best "big mean stay at home" defense prospect in the game.

If you load up with big behemoths that only hit you won't win anything. LA won the cup with a pretty small defense and only Greene as a big bruiser.
Really you need to watch St.louis play LA and see the size of their players, Ottawa looks like a Pee- Wee team in comparison.

S Bah is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 01:01 PM
  #20
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Really you need to watch St.louis play LA and see the size of their players, Ottawa looks like a Pee- Wee team in comparison.
You mean the St.Louis team with Shattenkirk at 5'11" 193lbs, Leopold 6'1" 206lbs, Jackman at 6' 203lbs on defense?

...or LA with Doughty 6' 212lbs at Martinez at 6'1" 206lbs Voynov at 5'11" 199lbs on defense.

Those guys are all big minute guys on their teams and sub 6'1" other than Leopold who's hardly a bruiser. If we have Emelin plus Tinordi and Beaulieu on the same squad, that's as big and physical as any current NHL team.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 01:08 PM
  #21
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 6,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You mean the St.Louis team with Shattenkirk at 5'11" 193lbs, Leopold 6'1" 206lbs, Jackman at 6' 203lbs on defense?

...or LA with Doughty 6' 212lbs at Martinez at 6'1" 206lbs Voynov at 5'11" 199lbs on defense.

Those guys are all big minute guys on their teams and sub 6'1" other than Leopold who's hardly a bruiser. If we have Emelin plus Tinordi and Beaulieu on the same squad, that's as big and physical as any current NHL team.
Don't treat me like the NHL does the fans, go watch the games and then come back and honestly say they aren't huge. Don't pick and choose which players prove a BS point of view. Team overall built to hurt buddy and you could go by descriptions by announcers, so that even the blind can picture it. Prust is also about that size.

S Bah is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 01:09 PM
  #22
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,815
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Games are won before not after the whistle. Toronto dressed a bunch of good "after the whistle" guys against Boston and got badly outplayed. Give me a big hitter like Emelin any day over a pilon like Carkner that will shove guys after the puck is in his net.
Okay, that would be fine if I said draft Diaby. Nurse and Zadorov are skilled players with a lot of grit.

le_sean is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 01:21 PM
  #23
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 6,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Okay, that would be fine if I said draft Diaby. Nurse and Zadorov are skilled players with a lot of grit.
Every sport show I've heard or watched today says the team has to get bigger and not just the defence. Tinordi is a start but there is lots of change to be made before teams don't try to intimidate and the NHL won't change, I've seen no change in 60 yrs.

S Bah is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 01:38 PM
  #24
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Don't treat me like the NHL does the fans, go watch the games and then come back and honestly say they aren't huge. Don't pick and choose which players prove a BS point of view. Team overall built to hurt buddy and you could go by descriptions by announcers, so that even the blind can picture it. Prust is also about that size.
Size doesn't win or lose games. Vancouver had a bigger team than Boston by an inch and 5 or 6 lbs 2 years ago and they roughed them up at every turn.

Habs need to do the same thing to Ottawa, have guys like Bourque Prust White Moen take runs at Karlsson Alfredsson and Turris. Ottawa has little depth of skill so punish their best guys.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 01:43 PM
  #25
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Okay, that would be fine if I said draft Diaby. Nurse and Zadorov are skilled players with a lot of grit.
Not sure I understand your point.

Of those 3 only Nurse will be an NHL skill player and he'll be a top 10 pick(or he may slide to 11 or 12). Zadorov will be similar to Tinordi, a big bruising #2-3-4 defenseman. Diaby may never play in the NHL, he could be a solid #5-6 like McQuaid or a career minor leaguer, high bust potential IMHO.

Bottom line, winning in the NHL you need all elements, skilled and buising players up front and on defense and a top goalie. Drafting 5-6 big stay at home d-men is not a shortcut to winning a cup.

Monctonscout is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.