HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Anybody else worried about our Pro Scouting heading into Free Agency?

Old
05-15-2013, 06:37 PM
uocooco

vCash: 500
Anybody else worried about our Pro Scouting heading into Free Agency?

Seeing as how the Drewiske pick-up was horrible; they said they watched him closely all season, but I don't know what they liked in him... He has the size (220 lbs), but he can't clear the crease or make a hit to save his life... I only watched a couple of his games after the trade and I don't know what they liked in him. Hell, even Pierre McGuire said it was a good pick-up, so you know it's bad.

I think the ones who scouted him were Ethan Moreau and/or Vaughn Karpan. Not sure if Scott Mellanby or Larry Carrière had anything to do with this decision.

Anyways... I'm no expert, but where I'm getting at is, with the UFA market closing in, is anybody else slightly worried about us making bad signings?

uocooco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Not really.

The habs d sucked as a group. If your goalie doesn't make a save, it makes you look even worse.

When we were winning, he looked good, so did the others. When we lost, he looked terrible and so did the rest of the d-core.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Stripper

Drewiske was brought in when a lot of our defenceman were injured. He was a back up plan just in case...

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Kriss E

Drewiske was brought in as a 7th Dman. Unfortunately, Emelin got injured as we clinched a PO spot and then our team went into a little slump where everybody looked bad.
Drewiske wasn't able to really make himself valuable, but I don't think he was brought in to be a regular. In any event, they seemed it worthy of a gamble for a 5th rounder.

I'm not worried in the slightest. I like where their mind is at though, find some low key Dman that you hopefully hit a homerun with instead of overpaying for a rental.

But no, I'm not worried about the open market.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:00 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Drewiske was brought in when a lot of our defenceman were injured. He was a back up plan just in case...
Exacly, and cheaply too. A late 5th rounder. To say it was a horrible pickup is exageration at its finest.

No scouting worries here.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Not sure what expectations should be when we're only giving up a 5th round pick. Here's a few comparables from this season:

Ryan O'Byrn = 2014 4th-round pick
Blake Comeau = 2013 5th-round pick
Jerred Smithson = 2013 4th-round pick
Michal Handzus = 2013 4th-round pick
Wade Redden = 2014 7th-round pick
Matt D'Agostini = 2015 conditional 4th - or 5th round pick
TJ Brennan = 2013 5th -round pick
Matt Kassian = 2014 6th -round pick
Mike Brown = 2014 conditional 4th -round pick
Simon Gagne = 2013 conditional 4th -round pick
Keaton Ellerby = 2013 5th-round pick
Ben Lovejoy = 2014 5th -round pick
Andrei Loktionov = 2013 5th -round pick
Matthew Lombardi = 2014 conditional 4th -round pick

However, I do agree it's a shame to give up a pick and than have the player leave a few months later. Not always the best asset management. I guess Mtl thought Drewiske was worth taking a shot at considering his salary, size, and our injury situation at the time.

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:37 PM
shutehinside

Gorges wasn't very good the year we got him in the rivet trade and barely played. He turned out pretty good.

Sometimes being traded, new system, new city, new conference with new teams people forget these guys are human. It's not so easy to step into a line up and play with 100% confidence especially for a guy who played a depth role.

Ruth time I'm sure he'll be better and this is not a great example of poor pro scouting. Way happier now than when Goat was out pro scout and thought Gomez was worth McD FFS.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:59 PM
hey

The same pro scouts that added Prust last year...I'm not worried

hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:18 PM
vik352

vCash: 50
A 5th pick really isn't much for a big vet D at the deadline. Expectations weren't high on Drewiske and he played mostly during our slump. There isn't much to see here considering the small sample we got

vik352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:39 PM
la25ecoupe

OMG I completely forgot about him, did he play last season or this season? Anyways, where was he lately?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik352 View Post
A 5th pick really isn't much for a big vet D at the deadline. Expectations weren't high on Drewiske and he played mostly during our slump. There isn't much to see here considering the small sample we got
IMO the problem isn't so much Drewiske as a player, I agree that it's hard to make a judgement considering the small sample and odd situations he was playing in.

It's more the disconnect somewhere between management, scouting and Therrien that looks bad. MT clearly decided in the end that he'd rather have Tinordi in the lineup than Drewiske. The team should have been clear on what skillset the coach needed, what the available options could bring to the table and what he thought of the kids currently in the system. In hindsight the traded pick looks like a (minor) wasted asset. Not a big deal, but hopefully the situation doesn't repeat with bigger pieces involved.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO the problem isn't so much Drewiske as a player, I agree that it's hard to make a judgement considering the small sample and odd situations he was playing in.

It's more the disconnect somewhere between management, scouting and Therrien that looks bad. MT clearly decided in the end that he'd rather have Tinordi in the lineup than Drewiske. The team should have been clear on what skillset the coach needed, what the available options could bring to the table and what he thought of the kids currently in the system. In hindsight the traded pick looks like a (minor) wasted asset. Not a big deal, but hopefully the situation doesn't repeat with bigger pieces involved.
Definite armchair QB effect in this post... would you have had Therrien scout LA games to make sure he agreed with the trade? Drewiske came in as a decent defensive D with size that wasn't overly physical but wouldn't get pushed around - would have been nice to get a more physical D but pretty close to what we needed as "safety" without breaking the bank.

Injuries resulted in him playing some important minutes which he hadn't done in LA - this provided Therrien a good chance to evaluate him (although still limited to a small sample of games). He decided that Tinordi would be a better fit although this could probably have changed depending on how he (Tinordi) actually performed. Not really seeing the "disconnect" part b/w scouts/management/Therrien in your post other than hindsight = 20/20.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:21 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

The drewiske trade was 'horrible'?

God I hate HF at this time of year.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
The drewiske trade was 'horrible'?

God I hate HF at this time of year.
I'd rather moderate Habs-Bruins games all day than read most of what has been posted here lately.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
Definite armchair QB effect in this post... would you have had Therrien scout LA games to make sure he agreed with the trade? Drewiske came in as a decent defensive D with size that wasn't overly physical but wouldn't get pushed around - would have been nice to get a more physical D but pretty close to what we needed as "safety" without breaking the bank.

Injuries resulted in him playing some important minutes which he hadn't done in LA - this provided Therrien a good chance to evaluate him (although still limited to a small sample of games). He decided that Tinordi would be a better fit although this could probably have changed depending on how he (Tinordi) actually performed. Not really seeing the "disconnect" part b/w scouts/management/Therrien in your post other than hindsight = 20/20.
Drewiske only played 9 games with the Habs. That's really not that much time for the organization's opinion of Drewiske or Tinordi to change. I think someone in the organization thought they were getting a different skillset than what Drewiske actually brought - that's either on evaluation or communication. Based on Therrien's scattered use of defencemen over the last part of the season, I'd guess communication.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Would you guys be willing to re-sing him for two years at $750K?

Old
05-15-2013, 10:35 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
No. Brings nothing to the game that all our other don't already bring.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:55 PM
25get

IF we would keep him, Drewiske would be behind:
Subban, Markov, Emelin, Gorges, Tinordi, Diaz, Beaulieu, Bouillon and maybe Pateryn and Ellis.

At that time, we needed a band aid and Drewiske was the answer.

Going back to your point about Pro-scouts, we need to see how next season unfolds.
Dudley, Mellanby, Carriere are all part of the decision process.
But we need to wait till the end of next season to judge.
Given that MB was hired in may, we should wait before judging the Pro-staff.

For now, we have to agree that they did delivered above expectations in their first season.

Last edited by 25get: 05-16-2013 at 03:33 AM.
25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:05 PM
25get

Quote:
He is gone: Behind Markov, Subban, Emelin, Tinordi, Bouillon, Diaz, Gorges.
Next season, we have Pateryn and Beaulieu ahead of him.

Plus Ellis, Nygren and Dietz in the pipeline.
Was a rental worth the try, but we have better for a 8th d-men.
I would be ready to trade him back to LA for a Roach or Gravel...

Old
05-15-2013, 11:31 PM
25get

Quote:
Management though he could be ahead of Tinordi, Pateryn and Ellis on a short term mandate.

We now know Tinordi is already better than him (as should be expected but the question was when?).

Next season, Pateryn and Ellis should rise above him.

Two years is above and beyond: Tinordi, Pateryn, Ellis, Bennett, Nygren, Dietz, Beaulieu, Thrower, Didier.
I think we can expect three or four of these to rise above Drewiske level.

Last edited by 25get: 05-16-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old
05-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Not sure what expectations should be when we're only giving up a 5th round pick. Here's a few comparables from this season:

Ryan O'Byrn = 2014 4th-round pick
Blake Comeau = 2013 5th-round pick
Jerred Smithson = 2013 4th-round pick
Michal Handzus = 2013 4th-round pick
Wade Redden = 2014 7th-round pick
Matt D'Agostini = 2015 conditional 4th - or 5th round pick
TJ Brennan = 2013 5th -round pick
Matt Kassian = 2014 6th -round pick
Mike Brown = 2014 conditional 4th -round pick
Simon Gagne = 2013 conditional 4th -round pick
Keaton Ellerby = 2013 5th-round pick
Ben Lovejoy = 2014 5th -round pick
Andrei Loktionov = 2013 5th -round pick
Matthew Lombardi = 2014 conditional 4th -round pick

However, I do agree it's a shame to give up a pick and than have the player leave a few months later. Not always the best asset management. I guess Mtl thought Drewiske was worth taking a shot at considering his salary, size, and our injury situation at the time.
Your list consists mainly of forwards The Habs needed a depth Dman with size and a modicum of NHL experience. Drewiske is a far cry from Emelin but I couldn't see using both Tinordi and Beaulieu (or Pateryn) in the playoffs. It was not much of a sacrifice, considering that the Habs have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds (and 7 in the first 4, for those who insist on counting pennies).

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
IF we would keep him, Drewiske would be behind:
Subban, Markov, Emelin, Gorges, Tinordi, Diaz, Bealieu, Bouillon and maybe Pateryn and Ellis.
No Weber?

Old
05-16-2013, 12:53 AM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
the Drewiske trade was low risk/medium reward and we could afford a 5th given we have several high picks.

I'm not concerned about this at all. I just hope we can beef up the Dcore at the very least.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:59 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Worst Pro-Scouting of any Sport Ever

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:01 AM
StellerEller
Canada's Team