HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

TSN calls the World Championship a "Best-on-Best Tournament"

Old
05-05-2013, 06:54 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

vCash: 500
Canadians should learn to love the World Championship more... For them it's all about the Olympics...

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:58 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Canadians should learn to love the World Championship more... For them it's all about the Olympics...
I`d say its the same for European now too,interest is dwindling rapidly every year and its damn obvious.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:58 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
This. Its ridiculous idea.. I think IIHF president's would've told something for media about it if it was really on intrest.

Just play the World Championships when NHL normally has training camps, then it becomes best on best, and it works as training camp in the same time for some players, they get some games in their belt. It would be so easy that way. But of course no, things must be done wrong.
It was discussed in a recent IIHF congress as early as last summer in Barcelona. I read the article and it has been written about mostly in the Russian press. I am looking for the article now which I read just last week in an interview with Tretyak where he talked about it ans said, quite frankly, it won't happen as it would mean No NHL players. Nevertheless, the KHL does want to go to a longer schedule and you know they don't want that to impact their NT. Looking for the article on sovsport.ru

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:01 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
It was discussed in a recent IIHF congress as early as last summer in Barcelona. I read the article and it has been written about mostly in the Russian press. I am looking for the article now which I read just last week in an interview with Tretyak where he talked about it ans said, quite frankly, it won't happen as it would mean No NHL players. Nevertheless, the KHL does want to go to a longer schedule and you know they don't want that to impact their NT. Looking for the article on sovsport.ru
Well not really,KHL IS interested in prolonging the season its the Federation of hockey in Russia thats not allowing it and KHL wants to get rid of FHR`s influence after Sochi.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:05 AM
gretskidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTukka View Post
Goes double for the U.S especially.

Look at what they're missing right now:

Brown, Backes, Callahan, Kessel, Gardiner (not the biggest loss, until you look at what they have for D over there), Suter

Then you have guys like Wheeler and Buff who didn't even bother making the trip
We have pretty much our entire team in the playoffs.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary + Lundqvist

Obviously it's best on best.

gretskidoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
Well not really,KHL IS interested in prolonging the season its the Federation of hockey in Russia thats not allowing it and KHL wants to get rid of FHR`s influence after Sochi.
Whatever the KHL wants, then they'll push that agenda in the IIHF, whether or not the KHL and the FHR are officially linked, the FHR will not want it's World Championship team impacted by a longer KHL season and will lobby the IIHF it's position. Needless to say, nobody wants a World Championship were there is Zero NHL participation.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:09 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Whatever the KHL wants, then they'll push that agenda in the IIHF, whether or not the KHL and the FHR are officially linked, the FHR will not want it's World Championship team impacted by a longer KHL season and will lobby the IIHF it's position. Needless to say, nobody wants a World Championship were there is Zero NHL participation.
They can say whatever they want KHL will send FHR to screw themselves after sochi.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Colorado Avalanche

best europe players maybe

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:10 AM
NewFang

Is TSN broadcasting the games? If so that would explain their use of this lie.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:17 AM
roto

There is no such thing as best-on-best tournament. There are only tournaments. All the best players are never available and healthy at the same time.

This might not be a problem for country like Canada, which has always excellent replacement players available. It's a problem for smaller countries with few NHLers and poor depth. Denmark didn't make Sochi olympics and that's basically because the qualifications were played when Denmark didn't have its best players available.

I understand why many people think that the olympics is best-on-best tournament. That's the best that we have but still it's not best-on-best. Half of the best players are not playing NHL playoffs anyway. Half of the NHLers are playing NHL playoffs. Some 60-70 percent of the best players of participating countries don't play in NHL at all. There is ice hockey outside NHL and top countries.

roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
This. Its ridiculous idea.. I think IIHF president's would've told something for media about it if it was really on intrest.

Just play the World Championships when NHL normally has training camps, then it becomes best on best, and it works as training camp in the same time for some players, they get some games in their belt. It would be so easy that way. But of course no, things must be done wrong.
http://news.sport-express.ru/2013-04-30/583477/

There's the article. run it through an on-line translator. The final 3 questions.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roto View Post
There is no such thing as best-on-best tournament. There are only tournaments. All the best players are never available and healthy at the same time.

This might not be a problem for country like Canada, which has always excellent replacement players available. It's a problem for smaller countries with few NHLers and poor depth. Denmark didn't make Sochi olympics and that's basically because the qualifications were played when Denmark didn't have its best players available.

I understand why many people think that the olympics is best-on-best tournament. That's the best that we have but still it's not best-on-best. Half of the best players are not playing NHL playoffs anyway. Half of the NHLers are playing NHL playoffs. Some 60-70 percent of the best players of participating countries don't play in NHL at all. There is ice hockey outside NHL and top countries.
We all understand the predicament, but when the Top 8 countries have 70 to 100% of their rosters playing in the NHL, then the NHL's involvement is critical. But I wouldn't be opposed to Canada not playing at all in the World Championships. Shut down for the Olympics, but I would not shed one tear if Canada suddenly said tomorrow, ah the World Championships? Why bother. The world Championship games are just a warm up for me anyway for NHL playoff games. I'll be watching the NY -Pitt game today not the Canada Swiss game. And I'm not a fan of either of those two NHL teams.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:24 AM
QnebO

Has it ever been thought in IIHF and NHL, what if the World Championships were played at fall, when the NHL training camp is normally going? It would always be close to best on best that way.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:26 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Has it ever been thought in IIHF and NHL, what if the World Championships were played at fall, when the NHL training camp is normally going? It would always be close to best on best that way.
NHL doesnt care about anything other than NHL and thats the reality of situation and probably will stay that way forever.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:27 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
Where did you read/hear this? Sounds like quite a drastic change to how international competitions work in hockey, and I would assume that the NHL isn't exactly enthusiastic about such a change.
That is preparing deal of KHL and NHL, not official yet. I read it on multiple websites, does not make sense to copy all o them.

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Not sure if it has ever been presented. Personally, I'd prefer a later start. May 15th and limit the number of teams to 12... I'm not a fan of the 16 team format. There are only 4 teams remaining in the NHL POs by mid-May and Europe keeps its traditional springtime hockey celebration. win win for everybody.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
regardless of the innuendo and rumors you may read in these forums, it will never happen. The NHL will never shut down for 3 weeks in February to accommodate the IIHF. any suggestion to the contrary is just laughable.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:48 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure if it has ever been presented. Personally, I'd prefer a later start. May 15th and limit the number of teams to 12... I'm not a fan of the 16 team format. There are only 4 teams remaining in the NHL POs by mid-May and Europe keeps its traditional springtime hockey celebration. win win for everybody.
you are wrong with later start and almost everything.

As I wrote, nobody cares about FHR´s wishes and what Tretyak said. KHL will do what is best for the league, has power to influence IIHF and what it most important - HAS A DEAL WITH NHL.

There is a deal:

1. NHL will get World Cup playing in february
Quote:
Those discussions would include "reviving the World Cup of Hockey as a midseason tournament to be played every four years between Olympics, thus guaranteeing a defined cycle of international best-on-best competition with which to showcase the sport
http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dai...odies/NHL.aspx

2.KHL will get "normal schedulling", so can play league´s play offs until late May or so.

Yes, it is not official, maybe it will not happen, but KHL-NHL´s discussion are there for year or two, if not more.

for russian speaking fans, more info and proof of my words

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2AxRp4lIrg

Old
05-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
you are wrong with later start and almost everything.

As I wrote, nobody cares about FHR´s wishes and what Tretyak said. KHL will do what is best for the league, has power to influence IIHF and what it most important - HAS A DEAL WITH NHL.

There is a deal:

1. NHL will get World Cup playing in february

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dai...odies/NHL.aspx

2.KHL will get "normal schedulling", so can play league´s play offs until late May or so.

Yes, it is not official, maybe it will not happen, but KHL-NHL´s discussion are there for year or two, if not more.

for russian speaking fans, more info and proof of my words

You said it yourself, may not happen. I'll say it will not hapen. What the KHL wants makes no difference at all to the suits in New York. The World Cup in February may come off, 1 in 4 in between Olympics is a reasonable proposition, provided the economics make it so, but what we are discussing here is the World Championships moving to February, closing down the NHL every other February, for the World Hockey Championships is not going to happen.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:08 AM
toewsintangibles

Can't ever see there being a true best on best competition. That'd require having the best players from every hockey country in the world shared evenly on two teams

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:11 AM
JackSlater

The WC is a fun tournament, but no one can actually think it's a best on best. I laud TSN's valiant effort though, and I'm happy that they put the effort that they do into covering this tournament. I honestly do think that it's slowly growing in popularity in Canada at least.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:30 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
You said it yourself, may not happen. I'll say it will not hapen. What the KHL wants makes no difference at all to the suits in New York. The World Cup in February may come off, 1 in 4 in between Olympics is a reasonable proposition, provided the economics make it so, but what we are discussing here is the World Championships moving to February, closing down the NHL every other February, for the World Hockey Championships is not going to happen.
Did you watch youtube what I posted? No, you did not.

1. OG
2. WHC (without NHL)
3. World Cup
4. WHC (without NHL)
5. OG
6. WHC (without NHL)
7. World Cup
8. WHC (without NHL)

for correction watch YT

If WHC does not move to february, we will have NO World Cup. NHL is only one who wants World Cup. KHL is only one who wants WHC in FEB. Nice deal of both leagues. IIHF will aprove. All story, not discuss anymore, especially not with people who have no infos.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:47 AM
QnebO

But what do other hockey Federations say? Its not yet been even in discussion. Ofcourse Russia and Canada can play their two team World Cup without negociating with every country and IIHF. Other countries do have alot of influence in this: they can just reject to play, and it will spoil the fun for the others too.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Did you watch youtube what I posted? No, you did not.

1. OG
2. WHC (without NHL)
3. World Cup
4. WHC (without NHL)
5. OG
6. WHC (without NHL)
7. World Cup
8. WHC (without NHL)

for correction watch YT

If WHC does not move to february, we will have NO World Cup. NHL is only one who wants World Cup. KHL is only one who wants WHC in FEB. Nice deal of both leagues. IIHF will aprove. All story, not discuss anymore, especially not with people who have no infos.
Again the NHL is negotiating with the IIHF and IOC for future participation in the Olympic games, both the IIHF and the IOC want NHL participation, as a trade off for NHL participation at the Olympics the NHL and NHLPA want a revived World Cup. KHL has nothing to do with the negotiations...if it makes you feel better to think differently, then by all means, knock yourself out. The World Hockey Championships may indeed move to February, but it will do so without NHL participation. I repeat without the NHL. and quite frankly, I don't care what happens to the World Championships, if in fact there is a revived World Cup and NHL participation in the Olympics, then that's more than enough international hockey for me.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:37 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
But what do other hockey Federations say? Its not yet been even in discussion. Ofcourse Russia and Canada can play their two team World Cup without negociating with every country and IIHF. Other countries do have alot of influence in this: they can just reject to play, and it will spoil the fun for the others too.
Nobody will ask them.

Quote:
KHL has nothing to do with the negotiations
LOL, therefore is Medvedev every second weekend in NHL´s HQ in NYC