HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Edler

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Hey, Chara drinks coke on the bench. Maybe the franchise defensemen know something we don't about keeping fit?

Old
06-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Just because the guy eats burgers does not mean he is not committed to fitness. Yet, it is a valid concern, considering: as Edler's minutes go up, so do his mistakes. This could be a fitness issue, much like Kassian.
Of course not. Hence the

As far as Edlers mistakes rising with his ice time goes, I don't think he ever fully recovered from his surgery and this plays a major factor in that.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:15 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I think a guy like Garrison can probably be a 40 point guy on a reworked top unit power play in Vancouver. Edler has looked more like a 40 point guy than a 50 point guy the last few years, but he's certainly more offensively rounded than Garrison. Edler moves the puck better up the ice, passes the puck better, and has good vision. You pay a real premium to get those extra 5-10 points on defense, for sure.

But if the Flyers swapped 1st round picks at the same time, I think it's a deal you make that would make sense for both clubs. It would also allow the Canucks to move Garrison back to the left side and add more flexibility to the back end.
You mean the 45 games he played this season?

Because the two seasons before he's put up right around a 50 point pace.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Of course not. Hence the

As far as Edlers mistakes rising with his ice time goes, I don't think he ever fully recovered from his surgery and this plays a major factor in that.
That's a good point. Didn't Edler claim this season that his back is not 100% or something like that? I had forgotten about that issue. It could certainly hinder his off-ice training.

Old
06-05-2013, 05:08 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
You mean the 45 games he played this season?

Because the two seasons before he's put up right around a 50 point pace.
and the difference between a 40 and 50 point pace isn't much in a shortened season. If our PP didn't go through that massive slump he couldn't been on pace for 50

Old
06-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
That's a good point. Didn't Edler claim this season that his back is not 100% or something like that? I had forgotten about that issue. It could certainly hinder his off-ice training.
Found it.

I posted this back on page 7:

Quote:
According to The Province, Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alexander Edler has been removed from the injured reserve list and cleared for play after spending the past three months rehabilitating from a back injury. It's not all good news, however, as Edler believes the ongoing issue will prevent him returning to 100 percent in the future.

"There haven't been any red lights. I can do everything, but that doesn't mean I'm not feeling it. Sometimes it's sore and stiff, but it was sore and stiff last year and I played 82 games."

It's these honest words which worry and relieve fans at the same time.

For Edler, this clearly means he may play out the remainder of his career in significant discomfort. But as he said, he played 82 games through his injury last season and more importantly, he was among the best defenders in the league with 49 total points.

Old
06-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
and the difference between a 40 and 50 point pace isn't much in a shortened season. If our PP didn't go through that massive slump he couldn't been on pace for 50
If Edler hadn't have sucked our PP wouldn't have slumped.

Old
06-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Ah, the chicken and the egg query.

Old
06-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
Daniel not being able to score to save his life was the biggest factor imo.

Old
06-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Daniel not being able to score to save his life was the biggest factor imo.
Too much time playing the point

There were a bunch of reasons for the PP slumping, Edler's play being only one of them. Lets not act like it was the PP that hurt Edler.

Old
06-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
Too much time playing the point

There were a bunch of reasons for the PP slumping, Edler's play being only one of them. Lets not act like it was the PP that hurt Edler.
Well, you said if Edler hadn't sucked our PP wouldn't have slumped, when I don't think that's at all true. Edler is pretty low on the blame tree for our PP, behind Brown, Daniel, and lack of Kesler, imo.

Old
06-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Well, you said if Edler hadn't sucked our PP wouldn't have slumped, when I don't think that's at all true. Edler is pretty low on the blame tree for our PP, behind Brown, Daniel, and lack of Kesler, imo.
I think you're wrong. Our PP going in the tank coincides with the dramatic slip in Edler's play half way through last season.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:29 PM
LPH

Quote:
Kesler being absent is a much bigger reason our PP struggled. Also Daniel having a poor year. A revolving door of Hansen and Burrows as well as having point guys like D Sedin and Schroeder killed our PP

Edler looked very good offensively this year

Old
06-05-2013, 08:23 PM
leftwinglockdown
Dude Guy

Quote:
I think you're wrong. Our PP going in the tank coincides with the dramatic slip in Edler's play half way through last season.
Then how come PP points make up 45% of Edler's point totals (highest on the team) this season? The PP is only part of the game, it does not explain Edler's even-strength play and in my opinion, his PP play made his season look a lot better than it did. When the PP dried up in March, he fell off a cliff. The PP drying up hurt him, not the other way around.

The PP tanking is due to a myriad of factors: The predictability of always setting up on the right-side of the ice, missing Kesler and the presence of right-hand shots in general and most importantly the decline of Daniel's shot totals.

Daniel was moved to the point because he never got to touch the puck. We see it as a dumb move because scoring is harder from the point but I think it was an attempt to get Daniel more touches because other teams basically cut off the left-side of the ice when we setup our PP.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Nuck This

What are you guys talking about...Our pp woes had nothing to do with Edler, gawd. Kesler being injured and Daniel losing his finish were to blame. It's shocking that some people would attribute it to Edler. Are you joking?

Old
06-05-2013, 09:09 PM
thepuckmonster
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
What are you guys talking about...Our pp woes had nothing to do with Edler, gawd. Kesler being injured and Daniel losing his finish were to blame. It's shocking that some people would attribute it to Edler. Are you joking?
That and our shocking inability to adjust to adversity. Teams knew how to shut down our PP from January on last season (and all this season) and we failed to do anything about it.

Edler has his faults but he's still a very good PP option and was no reason why is blew dogs for quarters this season.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
The PP started to suffer half way through last season... with Kesler in the lineup and Daniel still scoring goals.

Edler has been playing poorly... we all agree on that... right? Why wouldn't that effect the PP?

Old
06-05-2013, 09:15 PM
thepuckmonster
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
The PP started to suffer half way through last season... with Kesler in the lineup and Daniel still scoring goals.

Edler has been playing poorly... we all agree on that... right? Why wouldn't that effect the PP?
Honestly, he hasn't been that bad. He's been bad for what we expect out of him, which is 1D performance. Even with his bad year he played like a pretty average 2D on most teams.

Except with injured Bieksa.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:04 PM
LPH

Quote:

Edler has been playing poorly... we all agree on that... right? Why wouldn't that affect the PP?
Our PP went on its zero for thirty-something run without Kesler in the lineup and I remember someone saying that the PP was around 20% when he returned which isn't that bad. Kesler's presence on the PP also made it noticeably better than when RK17 was injured.

Daniel was on pace for (in an 82 game season) for 21 goals. Goal scoring for him has been an issue all season.

Old
06-06-2013, 06:37 AM
leftwinglockdown
Dude Guy

Quote:

If it was really all his fault, how come he leads the team with 5 PP goals, followed by Raymond (4) . Last I checked, our PP goal leader is supposed to be Daniel who only had 3.

Quote:
Our PP went on its zero for thirty-something run without Kesler in the lineup and I remember someone saying that the PP was around 20% when he returned which isn't that bad. Kesler's presence on the PP also made it noticeably better than when RK17 was injured.

Daniel was on pace for (in an 82 game season) for 21 goals. Goal scoring for him has been an issue all season.
Yeah, that's ugly, he'd only have 5 PP goals if the PP stayed this bad for 82 games.

Old
06-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Apple Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Oh great, Eddies on the Tkachuk off season regiment.

Hope he doesn't have to pass a physical with his new team before the trade is finalized.
Haha well he was with a couple friends so it probably wasn't all for him..

Quote:
Just because the guy eats burgers does not mean he is not committed to fitness. Yet, it is a valid concern, considering: as Edler's minutes go up, so do his mistakes. This could be a fitness issue, much like Kassian.
You mean Kyle Wellwood/Dustin Byfuglien fitness issue?

Old
06-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Scurr

Quote:

But the last half of last season was when the PP started to really struggle. That was with Daniel Sedin still scoring and Kesler still in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinglockdown View Post
If it was really all his fault, how come he leads the team with 5 PP goals, followed by Raymond (4) . Last I checked, our PP goal leader is supposed to be Daniel who only had 3.
His shot didn't leave him, his ability to make a good play with the puck did. As a result, we didn't get out of our end or into the other teams end as much and the plays he made in the zone weren't as good. That meant a lot less opportunities for everyone else.

He's not the only reason but the biggest imo.

Old
06-06-2013, 06:56 PM
DJOpus

The only way I want Edler to be traded is if its for, directly or indirectly, a franchise defenseman (obviously in a package).

Old
06-06-2013, 06:57 PM
LPH

Quote:
But the last half of last season was when the PP started to really struggle. That was with Daniel Sedin still scoring and Kesler still in the lineup.
D Sedin struggled all year with scoring, all year. Also our PP didn't struggle near as bad at the end of the season when Kesler was in compared to when RK17 was in.

Old
06-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Scurr

Quote:
D Sedin struggled all year with scoring, all year. Also our PP didn't struggle near as bad at the end of the season when Kesler was in compared to when RK17 was in.
The 2012 season is when the PP started to struggle, halfway through. It has not been the same since Edler's play fell off a cliff + injury halfway through that season.

Closed Thread