Notices

Group of NHL rookies spotlighted in Minnesota Wild prospect awards

Old
05-05-2013, 12:35 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Group of NHL rookies spotlighted in Minnesota Wild prospect awards

Most of the professional leagues around the world of hockey are done or wrapping up their playoffs. The prospect awards are really an opportunity to assess what some players were able to accomplish in their seasons, good, bad, or mixed, and to look forward to next season.

Hardest Worker: Charlie Coyle, RW/C, Minnesota Wild (NHL)

Hockey is not a kind sport at any level to players who do not give a good effort on the ice. Sometimes a player does a little more to make sure he or she makes the most of an opportunity. This year's award for hardest worker goes to Charlie Coyle.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:37 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
The only real surprise to me is Mario Lucia as best offensive prospect. I won't argue with it, but I could see a guy like Zucker or Granlund win that. Good article though.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Dampland
Overly Moderated

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
The only real surprise to me is Mario Lucia as best offensive prospect. I won't argue with it, but I could see a guy like Zucker or Granlund win that. Good article though.
why would you reward Granlund for a poor season with an award?

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:14 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
why would you reward Granlund for a poor season with an award?
Because a PPG in the AHL at 20 years old is miles ahead of where Lucia is right now. I hope Lucia becomes a great scorer in the future, but right now he isnt even close to being the Wilds best offensive prospect.

J22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Peter Prohaska
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Because a PPG in the AHL at 20 years old is miles ahead of where Lucia is right now. I hope Lucia becomes a great scorer in the future, but right now he isnt even close to being the Wilds best offensive prospect.

Part of my point with this section is just what you're saying. The Wild hasn't drafted or developed a game-breaking type of offensive threat since Gaborik. Now there's Parise on the team, but there's no one in the system with that kind of skill set. A few guys are in that 60-70 point range (Zucker, Coyle, Granlund) but prospect-wise, it would be nice to have someone with a higher ceiling. I put Lucia down here because of all the guys I hadn't mentioned already, he has the best projection right now.

I'm sure it's been covered at length elsewhere, but when I was writing this I thought there was no way Brodin didn't get a Calder nomination. Just none at all.

Peter Prohaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Zucker's the only guy I've seen with that game breaking speed and shot aside from Gaborik. Seto in theory has speed and a shot but he can't think the game quick enough. Would be great if Granlund can get quicker and grow into that offensive role, but I'd agree, I wish we had some guy with big time offensive potential even if he was a long shot.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Tuomaz

ppg players are very very rare in today's NHL.

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote