Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Phaneuf

Old
05-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Neely08

vCash: 500

Dafoomie has it in slow mo at the end.

He'll get a game, maybe 2. As he's coming in on Paille, he has all day to plant his shoulder into his shoulder, or chest, but clearly explodes upward going for his chin.

Would rather have had the 5, totally blown call.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Morlu

Phaneufs elbow was tucked at initial contact. I think you should look at Stanley Cup forums for unbiased reviews of the hit.

Leafs fans will say clean.
Bruins will say dirty.

What happens, happens. Best of luck next game hope the rest of the series is as entertaining as this game was.

Morlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:35 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
As i explained above, no it wasn't. Tonight's hit was mostly head contact. So was Ference's. And according to your explanation of the wheel of justice, since Grabo wasn't injured, why was Ference suspended?
Ference's hit wasn't "mostly" head contact, it was only head contact. There's no choice but to suspend when that happens. Had he been injured it would have been 2+ games. Had he been injured and it was in the regular season, probably 4+. It's not right, it's just the way it is. If you think there was any similarity whatsoever between those two hits, or that Grabovski didn't receive an elbow to the jaw then I really don't know what to say. There's not going to be much debate on either of these hits from fans of neither team.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:41 PM
winterwill
Mercy Buckets

I don't visit the other teams' boards often, but were there this many Bruin's fans on the Leaf board trying to justify the Ference hit?

winterwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlu View Post
Phaneufs elbow was tucked at initial contact. I think you should look at Stanley Cup forums for unbiased reviews of the hit.

Leafs fans will say clean.
Bruins will say dirty.

What happens, happens. Best of luck next game hope the rest of the series is as entertaining as this game was.
Matt Cooke had his arm tucked in, too. You can no longer plant your shoulder pad into someone's face and call it a clean hit. I know it's euphoria time up in Toronto, first playoff win since the invention of the internet and all. But, it's been a rule for a while now.

They just suspended a guy who made only secondary contact w/ the head on a perfectly clean north south hit.

Bruins fans, the majority, called Ference elbow what it was, I'm so glad B's fans don't act like this.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:49 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Matt Cooke had his arm tucked in, too. You can no longer plant your shoulder pad into someone's face and call it a clean hit. I know it's euphoria time up in Toronto, first playoff win since the invention of the internet and all. But, it's been a rule for a while now.

They just suspended a guy who made only secondary contact w/ the head on a perfectly clean north south hit.

Bruins fans, the majority, called Ference elbow what it was, I'm so glad B's fans don't act like this.
With the Gryba hit I'm pretty convinced they suspended based on the result, not the hit. Shanahan's explained in the past how hitting through the body and making contact with the head is still allowed, and that's exactly what happened.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Morlu

Quote:

You are mad. I didn't post to troll or anything I genuinely like the Bruins and their fans. You're glad that Bruins fans don't act respectful to other fans???

I said that both fan bases are biased and "what happens, happen." If the league decided suspension then so be it. I think the Bruins are a great team and am just hoping for more good hockey.

Morlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
With the Gryba hit I'm pretty convinced they suspended based on the result, not the hit. Shanahan's explained in the past how hitting through the body and making contact with the head is still allowed, and that's exactly what happened.
His shoulder never made contact w/ any other part of his body other than his face. He didn't have to explode upward to make contact w/ his shoulder, but he did, b/c he wasn't going for his shoulder. Why he could get more than 1 game.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:10 AM
northeastern

Hate him. All i have to say about him. He's no jvr but I hate him

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:18 AM
ChesapeakeRipper
Dr. Hannibal Lecter

vCash: 50
phaneuf won't get a hearing. i'd be shocked if he did, let alone a suspension. move on, and look forward to game 3.

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:37 AM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
How bad could this hit have been? Paille didn't even fall let alone land in a heap on the ice Like Grabo did after the Ference hit. All Paille did was bend over at the waist then stand back up. After watching the replay several times I don't know why there is still a discussion. The discussion surrounding this hit is a whole lot of nothing. I doubt the hit is even reviewed because it isn't really significant.
Not every player embellishes every hit.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:37 AM
SCBruCrew4

When I saw it, I thought Ference. Immediately. Now seeing it in Slow-Mo (thanks Dafoomie) I do think he will get a game. You clearly see him leave his feet and the shoulder meets the head for principal contact.

I don't think it can be argued any way, but Shana-ban will review this I think.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:40 AM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
How bad could this hit have been? Paille didn't even fall let alone land in a heap on the ice Like Grabo did after the Ference hit. All Paille did was bend over at the waist then stand back up. After watching the replay several times I don't know why there is still a discussion. The discussion surrounding this hit is a whole lot of nothing. I doubt the hit is even reviewed because it isn't really significant.
First, Grabovski wasn't "injured" he was knocked on his ass. Was it still dirty? Yes it was. Now, because Paille stayed on his feet, doesn't mean the hit wasn't dirty. Just 'cause there is no injury or no player lying on the ice, shouldn't determine whether a hit is dirty or not.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Phaneuf is a cowardly player. He pushes around Marchand, gets tough with Chara when a ref is nearby but when Lucic is right on top of his goalie he does nothing.

Seems like thats the MO of most the Leafs except Orr, Fraser & Mclaren.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:44 AM
jomas

Quote:

Dafoomie has it in slow mo at the end.

He'll get a game, maybe 2. As he's coming in on Paille, he has all day to plant his shoulder into his shoulder, or chest, but clearly explodes upward going for his chin.

Would rather have had the 5, totally blown call.
It does look high, but it also didn't look intentional either, you can even see Phaneuf realize it was.
I can see why Bruins fans would be mad, but I highly doubt anything will come from something like that.

jomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:46 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

Phaneuf is garbage. Always has been.

Last edited by trenton1: 05-05-2013 at 01:43 AM.
trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:04 AM
Colt.45Orr

Seemed to me that Phaneuf could have easily just thrown a garden variety shoulder-to-shoulder check (the hit was there to make) but instead chose to go for the head instead.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:18 AM
LyricalLyricist

Ouf that's a tough one. Shoulder hit body and head at same time I think. Granted I'm on my phone so didn't see it perfectly but that's a tough one. From what I gather head is not targeted but it hits. Don't think it was intentional but most aren't. Not sure if he'll get anything but review should be done. I assume paille is okay which is always good to hear.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:29 AM
FlowNoMo
GO MARLIES!!!

This forum is so mad. It was a borderline bad hit.

Why isn't anyone talking about lucic's headshot on grabo? It was far more obvious.

This isn't even close to ference's hit. Ference was a straight up elbow, didn't hit any other part of the body other than the head. Phaneufs hit was a high hit that made contact with all of the body

i dont know why im using caps

FlowNoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:35 AM
Patrice37

Send a message via AIM to Patrice37
the amount of leafs fans coming over to the bruins board to defend this is maddening. go back to celebrating the first win in 9 years holy ****

we do not care about your opinion at all

Patrice37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 01:55 AM
jomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
This forum is so mad. It was a borderline bad hit.

Why isn't anyone talking about lucic's headshot on grabo? It was far more obvious.

This isn't even close to ference's hit. Ference was a straight up elbow, didn't hit any other part of the body other than the head. Phaneufs hit was a high hit that made contact with all of the body

i dont know why im using caps
It's a Bruins forum, you can expect them to be mad, and as biased as can be, that's why each team has a different section.
If you came here expecting a sober and well thought out discussion you're bound to be disappointed.
Every team has their own section where they can blast suspicions and conspiracy theories, go back if it upsets you.

jomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:09 AM
Kessley Snipes

Can't believe you guys are complaining about this. I thought better of you Boston. Jack Edwards made it sound like Phaneuf assassinated someone.

Kessley Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy

Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
This is a nothing hit that resulted in nothing but a little cut. Two minutes. Four for the blood. Maybe.

Don't pander to the NHL's current idea of what a real hit to the head is, and say this is one of those.

Rancid McGoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:57 AM
GloveSave1
- 1 -

Alright, well we'll see if the league stays true or if it's Bruins rules in terms of justice.

Hit, contact with the head, injury.

Should be 1 game. Cut and dry.

This is what we've become now. I'm personally not a big fan of it...But it is what it is...Keep it uniform...

...And as far as Paille staying on his feet, maybe he can teach a few Leafs players that trick. It's called integrity. I haven't seen players fall down so easily - outside of Montreal, of course. Grabo should put on his hockey resume, "adept at falling down." Laughable.

Last edited by GloveSave1: 05-05-2013 at 03:03 AM.
GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:46 AM
SPB2776

A kid I work with said Phaneuf would make a great NBA player. Total fake tough guy.
How it doesn't called on the ice is beyond me. Officiating had me scratching my head a few times. But hey, the Bruins DID get their ONE power play. So what if it was 9 seconds?

SPB2776 is offline   Reply With Quote