HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's in and who's out next season?

Old
05-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 500
Who's in and who's out next season?

When looking at the roster we finished with I think it is safe to say that Latendresse, Regin, and O'brien are out.

On the bubble are Gonchar, Benoit, and Alfredsson.

Young players who will make the team next year I think are Pageau, Gryba with considerations going to Hoffman, Stone, Borowiecki

Depending on what we do with Gonchar will effect Wiercioch's role with us

We definitely need to add a top line forward to improve.

Silfverberg, Zibby, Cowen, Conacher, have to take their game to another level to really help this team move forward.

With seeing the type of depth we have right now I think we should look at moving some our prospects/picks for good players who can fill some of our holes.

As far as line ups go I will let other come to those conclusions.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Parker

Doesn't JOB have one year left on his contract?

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 09:37 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Doesn't JOB have one year left on his contract?
And could easily be a spare.

Pretty much all the guys who are UFA except for Alfie are out. They can be replaced internally.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Cherith Cutestory

I'm one of those who hope that Stone rolls into training camp and gets a spot next season. Not sure in place of who but I'm holding out hope he makes it. Big hopes for this kid!

Cherith Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 09:48 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherith Cutestory View Post
I'm one of those who hope that Stone rolls into training camp and gets a spot next season. Not sure in place of who but I'm holding out hope he makes it. Big hopes for this kid!
He could prolly play in the NHL, but he could also benefit from having a dominant season in the AHL.

No need to rush him with all the depth right now.

Detroit RW style

Old
05-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

I think it's mostly open season at camp. The more I look at our prospect list, the more I see some major trades coming. We've got way too many good young prospects, and no real options to transfer them into our lineup in the foreseeable future, since our team is already crazy young.

Guys I want to build around or refuse to trade:
Spezza, Condra, Neil, Alfie, Karlsson, Methot, Weir, Cowen, Zibby, Andy, Phillips

Undecided:
Stone, Noesen, Silf, Pageau, Puempel, Prince, Ceci, Vikstrand

Tradeable Players (Packaged to upgrade a roster spot, moved for picks or to move up in the draft):
Michalek, Turris, Greening, Smith, Conacher, Boro, Gryba, Lehner, JOB, Da Costa, Grant, Dziurzinsky, everyone else

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:04 AM
18Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
I think it's mostly open season at camp. The more I look at our prospect list, the more I see some major trades coming. We've got way too many good young prospects, and no real options to transfer them into our lineup in the foreseeable future, since our team is already crazy young.

Spezza, Condra, Neil, Alfie, Karlsson, Methot, Weir, Cowen, Zibby, Andy, Phillips

Undecided:

Tradeable Players (Packaged to upgrade a roster spot, moved for picks or to move up in the draft):
Michalek, Turris, Greening, Smith, Conacher, Boro, Gryba, Lehner, JOB, Da Costa, Grant, Dziurzinsky, everyone else
Lehner???
Letshave lawson as the back up next year and see how that goes

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:04 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

What happened to JOB the last third of the season? So far down the depth chart he ceased to exist? Some sort of hush-hush injury?

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:12 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Silfverberg View Post
Lehner???
Letshave lawson as the back up next year and see how that goes
Not to mention Turris who is likely the best forward on the team right now

Old
05-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Not to mention Turris who is likely the best forward on the team right now
We need to give to get, and center and goal are our strongest positions. If the value is right, pretty much anyone is tradeable.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Synthetek

Send a message via AIM to Synthetek
Quote:

Undecided:

I would take Turris off that list, we have legit #2 center with him... and The Lehner? come on now.

Synthetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:22 AM
MAK19

Quote:
We need to give to get, and center and goal are our strongest positions. If the value is right, pretty much anyone is tradeable.
Turris is the last centre and Lehner the last goalie I would trade

Old
05-25-2013, 10:22 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

I think this is the year we make our big move for a top liner. Players I could see being dealt for the right deal:

Michalek, Zibanejad, Wiercioch, Lehner/Anderson, Greening, Conacher... Extreme outside chance at Cowen, Turris, or Spezza.

Very few guys "safe" this offseason but I do think they will keep the general makeup of the team the same. 1-2 guys who are a big part of our team will be shipped out for one top piece, though.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetek View Post
I would take Turris off that list, we have legit #2 center with him... and The Lehner? come on now.
Do you know how hard people would have objected a few years back if I suggested trading Rundblad? Players get traded and life goes on. You would absolutely trade Turris for literally dozens of players in this league without thinking twice about it.

What you're really saying is that you do not believe that a team would offer the correct value in return for Kyle Turris, and as such, you do not think that a trade would happen.

If it makes you feel better, I listed these guys as "tradeable", not "shop them around for the first bag of pucks someone offers."

Old
05-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

I'm predicting this will be one of the most exciting off-seasons in Ottawa history

Old
05-25-2013, 10:33 AM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

We spend the entire history of the franchise looking for solid consistent goaltending, and missing that piece during cup runs. Now we have it, so lets trade some of it away from pieces that are much easier to come by.

Oiy.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:39 AM
mcnorth

Who we move, and for what, very much depends on what the timeline of management is and what they think they'll do next season. The team is trying to build a perennial, but I think they'll approach things differently if Alfie is back. If Alfie is back it solidifies the top six and we're talking about adding one other top six forward, the value of having a guy like Gonchar around, and the need for two great goalies.
If Alfie goes, and I'd wager they're making this plan A as the just in case scenario, they're looking at adding a couple of pieces for the top six, but players of a different age perhaps - as opposed to the Briere type bandied about on the board - and trying to add someone who might flourish and grow if given the opportunity rather than a guy who is more of a surefire add, and Gonchar is out and I'd wager they'd even be considering moving Andy/Lehner if through the other deals another NHL quality goalie could be had.

Alfie stays:
- add a top six forward who may be 30+
- resign Gonchar
- lots of RWers, lots of competition

Alfie goes:
- need two top six
- veterans on block
- lots of RWers, lots of competition

Re: Jared Cowen. Don't give up on him. This fanbase was more than fine with letting a young Chara walk away after an especially horrific play-off performance - let's not make that same mistake again. He's good now, he might be great one day. Already a legit 3-4 pairing guy.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Orr123

Trading lehner wont happen. If it does I'll be very upset.

It's like rebuilding, then tossing it in the garbage.

Andy is our starter, but Lehner is our future. You keep both.

Turris I'd keep keep too. But he's at least more tradeable than Lehner.

Of course you need to give to get, but you don't give up key pieces of your rebuild for that.

The players to me that are no trade, are lehner, Andy,.spezza, alfie, karlsson for sure.

Then I'd rather not trade, turris, methot, Neil, zibby, silf, cowen.

IMO, I really hope we pick up some top 6 Ufa (I'm not totally aware of who is available).

IMO this team needs two top six wingers, maybe just one. And another top d.

Beyond that we have great pieces, that require some development and experience still.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Senator67s

Quote:

Undecided:

I would take Turris and Greening and put them on the top list. And take Condra and Neil and put them on the bottom list.

Senator67s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:47 AM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
We spend the entire history of the franchise looking for solid consistent goaltending, and missing that piece during cup runs. Now we have it, so lets trade some of it away from pieces that are much easier to come by.

Oiy.
Is it so crazy to consider moving Andy/Lehner for a guy like, say, Bishop, if you were getting Bishop + a piece for our guy? That's a fair deal.

I love having ALL THE GOALIES!!! But man, have to think whole picture and moving one of the two starters we enjoy for a legit back-up and someone we need... have to at least think about it.

And Lehner is not a sure thing yet. And neither is Andy. We just saw the value firsthand of having the best goaltending ever over a season. I know that. But that season is over. Lehner has never gone through 80 games as a starter, I'm sure we're in for some horrific swiss cheese stretches sometime in the next decade with him when he's struggling - and he will struggle, just like every other guy in the league. And Andy has been amazing. So great me might be able to get a great piece for him and have Lehner, the guy who sparks polls regularly and whom many here think is the next big thing, start for us. That's not a terrible place to be if you have, say, a guy like James Neal playing in your top six.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

You would trade Neil??

IMO, he's the 2nd most important guy in that dressing room.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:50 AM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
You would trade Neil??

IMO, he's the 2nd most important guy in that dressing room.
I would now. And I LOVE HIM. He's such a valuable player, but in the offseason he's such a valuable piece. (I died a little typing that)

But it's a new day, new team. If Neil was LW I probably wouldn't consider it right now, actually. But man, go on CapGeek and look at the RWers. Something has to give.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Orr123

Obviously lehner will likely struggle. But you don't give up on one of best goalie picks the franchise has ever had.

We have lots of cap space, why not use a bit to pick up a UFA.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:08 AM
MtRundle
Shawville Strong

NoTrades:
Alfie, Karls, Spezz, Turris, Greening, Pageau, Lehner, Andy, Neil, Zibanejad, Condra, Cowen, Gryba, Weircrotchety

Guys I would be willing to part with (if we get something good in return)
Michalek, Smith, Silfverberg, Peumpely,

MtRundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 11:11 AM
robsenz

I really hope Ottawa packages Michalek and Cowen for a decent forward, IMO these two guys do more damage for the team than good.

robsenz is offline   Reply With Quote