HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Province and Vancouver Sun subscriptions

Old
05-30-2013, 03:23 PM
stickside

vCash: 500
The Province and Vancouver Sun subscriptions

I live outside of Vancouver and used to rely on The Province and Vancouver Sun online editions for at least some of my Canucks coverage. Now that they've gone to a subscription format, I can only see 5 free articles per paper per month.

At first I was a little pissed that it's not free anymore, but after a week or so of not visiting the sites becasue I don't want to pay the subscriptions, I can honestly say I don't miss their coverage.

Anyone else in the same boat? There are plenty of sources to get Canucks coverage other than those two papers.

I understand their reasoning for charging, but if I'm going to pay to read a newspaper it'll be a quality edition like the New York Times.

Adios, paper boys!

stickside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Tanevian*

vCash: 100
Unless an article is posted here I wouldn't know either paper exists.

Tanevian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Carl Carlson

HF boards, and various sports websites are all you need for hockey coverage.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:01 PM
dave babych returns

I stopped reading the local rags long ago, and for sports coverage I didn't miss them one bit. When I do occasionally check their websites now the vast majority of the content is scarcely better than what some posters have to offer. For breaking news of course there are message boards and twitter. Honestly other than guys like Gallagher and Cam Cole I don't know what they have to offer at this point.

For national or international news there are far better sources as well of course.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
I live in Montreal and outside HF and TSN, we don't hear a lick about anything not Habs related or RDS trashing Toronto and Boston. And the bias reporting here is borderline hilarious. You'd think Montreal won the cup for the last ten years and counting. Frankly, I've gotten more information from this board and wikipedia than anything half those articles would cover, at least from the few I have seen. TSN is also pretty solid for the most part.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:23 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
People still read articles? Twitter destroyed them

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:31 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 50
Do to people have stopped reading the print stuff and rely more and more on tablets. More and more papers are now charging to read their stuff on line and that make sense

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
http://canucksarmy.com/

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/topics/...passittobulis/

http://blogs.theprovince.com/categor...e-white-towel/

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Hollywood Burrows

agreed 100%

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Dado

vCash:
Most of the "content" in those papers are just AP and CP stories anyway. What's the point?

Old
05-30-2013, 09:18 PM
lush
@jasonlush

http://newspaperdeathwatch.com/

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Invictus146

Agreed with pretty much everyone above on how those papers aren't that great...

As a general tip - for all these sites that track your cookies (NYtimes, G&M) - this trick shoudl work - assuming you use Chrome

1. Install this extension - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...omclgfbg?hl=en
2. Once installed you will have a cookie icon (it really looks like a cookie) in the top right of your browser
3. When you're blocked, press it
4. Choose delete all
5. Reload and profit

Alternately you could manually delete cookies yourself - this just makes it easier to delete just the ones for that website (where would you be without your hfboards auto login!)

Invictus146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickside View Post
I live outside of Vancouver and used to rely on The Province and Vancouver Sun online editions for at least some of my Canucks coverage. Now that they've gone to a subscription format, I can only see 5 free articles per paper per month.

At first I was a little pissed that it's not free anymore, but after a week or so of not visiting the sites becasue I don't want to pay the subscriptions, I can honestly say I don't miss their coverage.

Anyone else in the same boat? There are plenty of sources to get Canucks coverage other than those two papers.

I understand their reasoning for charging, but if I'm going to pay to read a newspaper it'll be a quality edition like the New York Times.

Adios, paper boys!
But in any event, if you *really* want to read a Province article, you can read it anyway, between the bottom of the blocker and the bottom of your screen, scrolling down more or less line by line, and maybe brightening it up a bit.

Sometimes the blocker thingy doesn't work right, so that's a bonus. If reading the Province could ever be called a bonus . . .

701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:13 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
All you really need is HF, IMO. Most topics that are being discussed in the papers are already being discussed here, in greater detail. Any good articles are usually included in someone's post, or posted in a new topic if they have any hint of importance to it anyways.

Articles from Canucks Army and the like can have some good articles, but they're usually posted here anyways. I rarely visit their website to read articles because the ones that are good reads are usually posted in the topics I'm posting in already.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:55 PM
vadim sharifijanov

unlike the new york times or globe and mail, the province and sun websites are (for now) very primitive. if you'll notice, the article loads, then a subscription thing loads on top of it. as soon as the story image loads and before that subscription thing comes up, just hit the "stop" button your browser.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote