HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Part Agoogleplex

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-08-2013, 05:46 PM
  #326
Grumbler
Registered User
 
Grumbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Cory was bad in game 4. If Luongo's GTG in game 2 is considered weak, then the GWG Schneider gave up last night was absolutely weak. Also, the GTG Schneider gave up was very weak too. He's gotta freeze the puck with his glove. He was battling the puck all night and gave up a ton of bad rebounds. It could have been a lot worse.

I would actually say Schneider was the reason we lost both games. Game 3 we only scored 2 goals so the offense wasn't there, but Schneider's meltdown early in the 3rd sealed the deal for us. And in game 4 he couldn't make the big saves when we needed and let us down with a weak GWG in OT.
We didn't even deserve to score 3 goals in game 4. We should have had just 1 goal. The offense didn't generate **** that game and got two lucky bounces. Even the hockey gods were helping us and gave us 2 FREE GOALS and they can't win the game. Now I agree with you this offense is "sad sac". Schneider and the defence then can't handle their pp. PK sucked in game 4, main reason is SCHNEIDER, plain and simple and we were undisciplined with the plays and hits, all of them testing the refs (which you know is a bad idea when they already against us and stupid ****ing bieksa calling them out before the game). I thought they had a meeting about discipline the day before but then they remain undisciplined all game in game 4. Very ********.

Grumbler is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 05:51 PM
  #327
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 20,639
vCash: 500
"It's time to move on..."
"It's Cory's team..."

-Roberto Luongo

Just a reminder for those still clinging to the notion that Luongo will somehow stay and Schneider gets moved.

Canucker is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 05:53 PM
  #328
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,385
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
"It's time to move on..."
"It's Cory's team..."

-Roberto Luongo

Just a reminder for those still clinging to the notion that Luongo will somehow stay and Schneider gets moved.
Oh Roberto is definitely gone. I just say be careful for what you wish for to all those who have been bashing Luongo throughout this whole process while pumping Schneider's tires. Schneider is not a better goalie than Luongo, and he is not impenetrable. This years playoffs proves that.

__________________
Please have mercy on us Canucks fans! Fire Benning! Fire Linden! Fire Weisbrod! #Bexit #Lexit #Wexit
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 05:57 PM
  #329
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 20,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Oh Roberto is definitely gone. I just say be careful for what you wish for to all those who have been bashing Luongo throughout this whole process while pumping Schneider's tires. Schneider is not a better goalie than Luongo, and he is not impenetrable. This years playoffs proves that.
No goalie is impenetrable, especially with a soft defense and the added pressure to not allow any more than 1-2 goals because the offense has extreme difficulty generating anything beyond that.

And I'm not bashing Luongo, just stating that he's a goner and people need to get used to that idea.

Canucker is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:17 PM
  #330
Scurr
Bear G
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Oh Roberto is definitely gone. I just say be careful for what you wish for to all those who have been bashing Luongo throughout this whole process while pumping Schneider's tires. Schneider is not a better goalie than Luongo, and he is not impenetrable. This years playoffs proves that.
Using a 4 game sample size to say that Schneider is not better than Luongo is funny. Schneider played better than Lu and beat him for the net with his play two years in a row. He looks better in the net, his stats are better and his coach keeps picking him to go in the net. He is better. You can like Luongo and still say that.

Scurr is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:18 PM
  #331
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,385
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Using a 4 game sample size to say that Schneider is not better than Luongo is funny. Schneider played better than Lu and beat him for the net with his play two years in a row. He looks better in the net, his stats are better and his coach keeps picking him to go in the net. He is better.
Have you seen his stats these playoffs? Has he outplayed Luongo these playoffs? Schneider in the playoffs has 1 career win to his name, how exactly is he better?

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:19 PM
  #332
Castle1*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Oh Roberto is definitely gone. I just say be careful for what you wish for to all those who have been bashing Luongo throughout this whole process while pumping Schneider's tires. Schneider is not a better goalie than Luongo, and he is not impenetrable. This years playoffs proves that.
Two playoff games don't prove anything. However, I agree with your position that some may regret what they are wishing for.

Castle1* is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:23 PM
  #333
Pip
[hello] :)
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 59,642
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Have you seen his stats these playoffs? Has he outplayed Luongo these playoffs? Schneider in the playoffs has 1 career win to his name, how exactly is he better?
in the last two series, how many wins does Lu have?

They've started the same amount of games I believe

Pip is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:45 PM
  #334
Scurr
Bear G
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Have you seen his stats these playoffs? Has he outplayed Luongo these playoffs? Schneider in the playoffs has 1 career win to his name, how exactly is he better?
Luongo .919/.916

Schneider .927/.922

Those are their career regular season/playoff save percentages. He's better because he stops more pucks.

Scurr is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:49 PM
  #335
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,385
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Luongo .919/.916

Schneider .927/.922

Those are their career regular season/playoff save percentages. He's better because he stops more pucks.
So I guess you'll admit that Schneider cost us the series this year because he stopped fewer pucks? Maybe he's regressing?

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:52 PM
  #336
CanaFan
Registered User
 
CanaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
So I guess you'll admit that Schneider cost us the series this year because he stopped fewer pucks? Maybe he's regressing?
Hard to believe you really want to base this on two games. I know you will defend Luongo to the death but he's had numerous blowout games in the past 5 years. Schneider came in cold and may have still been injured. Did he play poorly? Ya, no argument. But I'm not willing to draw any serious conclusions from 2 games, sorry.

CanaFan is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:53 PM
  #337
LiquidSnake*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
It'll be hilarious when Luongo wins a cup before this team does and I'm going to be behind him 110%
Just make sure you pick the right matchup in NHL13 otherwise Lu may fold in that too.

LiquidSnake* is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:54 PM
  #338
LiquidSnake*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
in the last two series, how many wins does Lu have?

They've started the same amount of games I believe
Giguerre has a cup. He's better than Luongo right now. Great logic

LiquidSnake* is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:57 PM
  #339
Scurr
Bear G
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
So I guess you'll admit that Schneider cost us the series this year because he stopped fewer pucks? Maybe he's regressing?
We were down 0-2 when he got into the series. Might be a little strong to say he cost us the series.

Cory played bad. That happens to every goalie. You can call it a "meltdown" if it makes you feel better about Lu's past but it really wasn't that. He hadn't played in two weeks. He just wasn't right when he came back.

I expect him to get back to playing great because that's what he's done since he got here.

Scurr is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:58 PM
  #340
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Have you seen his stats these playoffs? Has he outplayed Luongo these playoffs? Schneider in the playoffs has 1 career win to his name, how exactly is he better?
He was either rusty, injured, or both. Using stats from this series is disingenuous. It's like using only Aluobgo's bad games to categorize his abilities.
Why can't it be that they are both terrific goalies, both have the occasional bad game, and one is younger and cheaper and likely to stay. Some of these posts are like two guys with tiny dicks fighting over whose is bigger.

kevinsane is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:26 PM
  #341
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,385
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
We were down 0-2 when he got into the series. Might be a little strong to say he cost us the series.

Cory played bad. That happens to every goalie. You can call it a "meltdown" if it makes you feel better about Lu's past but it really wasn't that. He hadn't played in two weeks. He just wasn't right when he came back.

I expect him to get back to playing great because that's what he's done since he got here.
Right, so it's a meltdown if it's Luongo, but if it's Cory giving up 3 weak goals in the span of 2 minutes in the third period of a 1-goal game it's not a meltdown.

And now come the excuses of him having not played in two weeks. Didn't you say earlier that people don't make excuses for Schneider because he gives up less goals?

I rest my case.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:29 PM
  #342
Zarpan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Actually, he was very good over the course of about 3 weeks. The 9 or 10 game string of playing bottom feeders inflated his stats, otherwise he was merely adequate.
Ok, I went and looked it up.

Schneider's regular season save percentage vs. playoff teams: .928 (which is actually a tad better than his overall average).

If you include the playoffs, then his save percentage vs. playoff teams is .920.

For comparison, Luongo's was .880 vs. playoff teams in the regular season (mainly due to Detroit), and .889 vs. playoff teams including the SJ series.

I think that utterly and completely destroys that argument of yours that Schneider only put up good numbers against bottom feeders.

Zarpan is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:43 PM
  #343
Pip
[hello] :)
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 59,642
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Right, so it's a meltdown if it's Luongo, but if it's Cory giving up 3 weak goals in the span of 2 minutes in the third period of a 1-goal game it's not a meltdown.

And now come the excuses of him having not played in two weeks. Didn't you say earlier that people don't make excuses for Schneider because he gives up less goals?

I rest my case.
on the flipside, Luongo getting lit up in the Boston series was on the Sedins not scoring, but when Cory gets scored on it's on him?

there is bias on both sides

Pip is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:52 PM
  #344
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,385
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
on the flipside, Luongo getting lit up in the Boston series was on the Sedins not scoring, but when Cory gets scored on it's on him?

there is bias on both sides
Funny story: Luongo won 3 more games in the Boston series than Schneider did in this series, with less than half the goal support.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:54 PM
  #345
Lindt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Oh Roberto is definitely gone. I just say be careful for what you wish for to all those who have been bashing Luongo throughout this whole process while pumping Schneider's tires. Schneider is not a better goalie than Luongo, and he is not impenetrable. This years playoffs proves that.
Hilarious. Two games from a rusty Schneider coming off injury and suddenly he's not a better goalie than Luongo. I'll make my decisions based on what's been evident over the past three seasons, thanks.

By the way, nobody has really been bashing Luongo. Acknowledging that Schneider's the better goalie is not bashing Luongo. He played well, obviously.

Lindt is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 08:26 PM
  #346
Hammer79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindt View Post
Hilarious. Two games from a rusty Schneider coming off injury and suddenly he's not a better goalie than Luongo. I'll make my decisions based on what's been evident over the past three seasons, thanks.

By the way, nobody has really been bashing Luongo. Acknowledging that Schneider's the better goalie is not bashing Luongo. He played well, obviously.
If Schneider was off for months with an injury, it might be easier to buy that excuse. He played a tonne down the stretch and missed 4 games before the playoff starts and took the ice for practices before coming back. There was no rust. He was just nervous, and battled the puck in both games. I really think it was the pressure of being the designated starter and living up to those expectations that affected his game.

I know most of us here aren't saying Luongo is bad, but I think that saying Schneider is better is premature. He hasn't played enough in the playoffs to make that determination. The jury is still out on him as far as I'm concerned.

Hammer79 is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 08:46 PM
  #347
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Would it have been better If Luongo was traded at the deadline for playoff help?

Considering that Luongo value was probably very low at the deadline (And probably lower if you want playoff help instead of future asset like scriven +2nd).

Considering that Luongo was actually needed in the playoff while Schneider was injured.

i know it could not have been really worse, but how could trading Luongo for a low return be a better option if Schneider wasn't able to play the 2 first games and lack is injured?

What if instead we traded Schneider for playoff help? (well, what if he was traded in 2011? to get playoff help for the playoff 2011-2013?)

Well my question is : "If you could go back in time as far as 2011, would you do a different decision about our goalie? (Keeping in mind that one of the reason we kept them both is because the offer for them never been good enough for Gillis to accept, especially for current help, instead of draft pick/prospect.)

palindrom is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 08:47 PM
  #348
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Funny story: Luongo won 3 more games in the Boston series than Schneider did in this series, with less than half the goal support.
God, this must be like Christmas in July for you.


 
Old
05-08-2013, 08:51 PM
  #349
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,385
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
God, this must be like Christmas in July for you.

Well not really, the whole thing is frustrating. Everyone jumped all over Luongo for doing what Schneider has done in his past two games, yet Schneider apparently deserves a free pass? I don't think either goalie should be crucified, but the double standard makes me sick.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:00 PM
  #350
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
I think we can both agree that it would be nice for Lu to go to Tampa Bay...

My first horrible trade proposal of the offseason! Lu + Edler + Alain Vigneault to TB for ?
Agree that Tampa would still be the best place overall for all parties involved (Nucks, Lu, and Bolts). But if we're going to include coaches as part of the deal, I'd have to ask for Cooper in return. I'd be willing to give up picks for him (serious).

vanuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.