HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Part Agoogleplex

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Curious if NYI will be calling about Luongo this summer?
They're half a period from taking the Crosby and Malkin to Game 7, I'm not sure they'll be viewing goaltending as something to give up assets for.

Old
05-11-2013, 08:20 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
They're half a period from taking the Crosby and Malkin to Game 7, I'm not sure they'll be viewing goaltending as something to give up assets for.
Maybe its the other team that needs Luongo more.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Not that it means much, but most Isles fans appear ready to show Nabokov the door.

Old
05-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Nuckles
On the IR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Curious if NYI will be calling about Luongo this summer? If they do, would Luongo ever go there?

I want Brock Nelson. He's the ideal 3C on the Canucks team IMO. Big, can be used a checking centre who can contribute offensively. He's 6'4 too. He's NHL ready after spending a full yr in the AHL.
I extremely doubt it.
They already have DiPietro's contract, and I think there is no way they want another very long goalie contract even if they buy out DiPietro.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
05-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
I'd say it is the exact opposite. Were Luongo or Schneider (non-injured) in nets. They'd likely have beaten Pittsburgh. Nabokov was bad more often than he was good. Fleury just managed to be even worse. Anywho, it'd be Schneider they want. Frankly, I am beginning to believe no one takes Lu for one reason or another.

Old
05-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I'd say it is the exact opposite. Were Luongo or Schneider (non-injured) in nets. They'd likely have beaten Pittsburgh. Nabokov was bad more often than he was good. Fleury just managed to be even worse. Anywho, it'd be Schneider they want. Frankly, I am beginning to believe no one takes Lu for one reason or another.
Kind of like how the Flyers-Pens series turned out last year. Brzy was awful but Fluery stunk even worse.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I extremely doubt it.
They already have DiPietro's contract, and I think there is no way they want another very long goalie contract even if they buy out DiPietro.
Bob McKenzie disagrees. He said last night that with the current team and pending move to Brooklyn, Lu makes sense for the Isles.

Isles, Flyers and Panthers all make some sense.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Not that it means much, but most Isles fans appear ready to show Nabokov the door.
Sure. The question is whether they're willing to give away their youth for another old goalie experiment.

I suspect the answer is no.

But with Charles in Charge, you never really can tell what'll happen next!

Old
05-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Sure. The question is whether they're willing to give away their youth for another old goalie experiment.

Lu, does have 9 years left on his contract, but he's not going to play more than 5 more years IMO. Last 4 years his salary drops to 3.4, 1.6, 1, and 1 million dollars. His 12 year $64 million deal is really a $57 million 8 year deal. His cap hit now is $5.333 million, but his real cap hit is $7.125 million.

Thus in the final 4 years of his deal, if he retires, about $3.6 million per season of cap hit must be applied to some team to recapture the salary cap savings over the first 8 years of his contract.

So, the Isles would be acquiring Lu's deal and at an avg salary of $6.7 million over that 5 years, and the $5.33 million cap hit, they would have to average back $1.8 million in dead cap space when Lu retires with 4 years left. Are they comfortable going forward with that cap hit?

Then the Isles have to consider what they have depth wise in goal coming up. A couple of years ago when Poulin was first called up to the team, he was looked upon as a goalie of the future. Is he still? If not and no other goalie in the system can step their game up, then they need to get a goalie and develop a young one to take over in 5 years.

Then there is the Dipietro thing. Due to the term of his deal, insurance would only cover so much. So, do they opt to buy out his remaning $36 million left on his deal. Cost is $24 million to Wang.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Dado

vCash:
Meanwhile, Reimer has carried his team to a game 7, pitching a Sv% north of 0.930.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Meanwhile, Reimer has carried his team to a game 7, pitching a Sv% north of 0.930.
Reimer has been hit or miss. In his series he's let in 4 goals in 3 of the games, and the Leafs lost all of them, but in the other 3 games he's played very well. I would say he's been good enough for Toronto to not look to acquire Luongo though (and that makes me happy).

05-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Strombone ‏@strombone1 1h
#REIMS4SOCHI

Old
05-12-2013, 10:19 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Reimer has been hit or miss. In his series he's let in 4 goals in 3 of the games, and the Leafs lost all of them, but in the other 3 games he's played very well. I would say he's been good enough for Toronto to not look to acquire Luongo though (and that makes me happy).
Kinda like Lu in the playoffs?

Old
05-12-2013, 10:35 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Kinda like Lu in the playoffs?
Except Lu was our 2011 playoff MVP. Reimer has a ways to go before achieving that status.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:48 PM
KeninsFan

Goalie market looks to be more saturated this off-season. Looks of openings for a #1 as well.

When NYI move to Brooklyn a name like Luongo would sell a lot of tickets. Okposo seems like a Gillis player.

Is Minny a candidate if Backstrom leaves?

If PIT loses early again maybe Shero tries to assemble Team Canada with Lu in net.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:51 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Goalie market looks to be more saturated this off-season. Looks of openings for a #1 as well.

When NYI move to Brooklyn a name like Luongo would sell a lot of tickets. Okposo seems like a Gillis player.

Is Minny a candidate if Backstrom leaves?

If PIT loses early again maybe Shero tries to assemble Team Canada with Lu in net.
I hope we don't target Okposo. Not that high on him. Niederreiter would be my target and considering he's already asked for a trade it could be feasible.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:53 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Lu, does have 9 years left on his contract, but he's not going to play more than 5 more years IMO. Last 4 years his salary drops to 3.4, 1.6, 1, and 1 million dollars. His 12 year $64 million deal is really a $57 million 8 year deal. His cap hit now is $5.333 million, but his real cap hit is $7.125 million.

Thus in the final 4 years of his deal, if he retires, about $3.6 million per season of cap hit must be applied to some team to recapture the salary cap savings over the first 8 years of his contract.

So, the Isles would be acquiring Lu's deal and at an avg salary of $6.7 million over that 5 years, and the $5.33 million cap hit, they would have to average back $1.8 million in dead cap space when Lu retires with 4 years left. Are they comfortable going forward with that cap hit?

Then the Isles have to consider what they have depth wise in goal coming up. A couple of years ago when Poulin was first called up to the team, he was looked upon as a goalie of the future. Is he still? If not and no other goalie in the system can step their game up, then they need to get a goalie and develop a young one to take over in 5 years.

Then there is the Dipietro thing. Due to the term of his deal, insurance would only cover so much. So, do they opt to buy out his remaning $36 million left on his deal. Cost is $24 million to Wang.
I think he's a lock for 6 years IMHO unless he's so bad they have to send him away to minors, $3.4m is bucket load of cash to leave behind.

Crazy market though, Miller, Fasth/Hiller, Luongo, Halak and then guys looking to find starters jobs Khudobin, Bernier. Possibly Backstrom. Fleury or Bryz if they are bought out, if they aren't that is two less teams. There may be more contestants than chairs.

Last edited by me2: 05-12-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old
05-12-2013, 11:06 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Except Lu was our 2011 playoff MVP. Reimer has a ways to go before achieving that status.
He's gotta start somewhere.

Old
05-12-2013, 11:17 PM
goodluckchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post

except all that doesn't matter because Luongo came out and said that his contract sucks. He killed whatever value he had leftover after saying that.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:19 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:

I don't think the Isles would have a problem giving away youth, they've been drafting high for long enough that now would be the perfect time to make those sorts of trades. Rather the likely killer to any deal is a Charles Wang team acquiring a contract where the salary is greater than the cap hit.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:11 AM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodluckchuck View Post
except all that doesn't matter because Luongo came out and said that his contract sucks. He killed whatever value he had leftover after saying that.
So, you think that GM's around the league didn't already have an opinion about Luongo's contract?

Old
05-13-2013, 01:40 AM

I'm actually 100% willing to trade either Schneider or Luongo at this point.

The main reason is because I am uncertain that we will be competitive enough to convince Schneider to stay when he hits UFA while Luongo might be tradable if his play keeps up and there are less years on his contract (despite the fact that he should be worth more with as good years left as possible).

Old
05-13-2013, 09:16 PM
SunshineRays

Was really hoping we'd never EVER hear another Luongo to Toronto rumor. After tonight, I doubt it. A few more months of crappy Toronto media trying to spin everything.

We can probably add Washington back to the list too...

Old
05-13-2013, 09:17 PM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Strombone ‏@strombone1 1h
#REIMS4SOCHI
he jinxed him, that sly dog

Old
05-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Wcstripes

A question for you all.

What if Loungo can not be traded and is bought out instead? The Canucks are dealing from a real weak postion imo and may not get any offers at all.

How many teams do you think would go after him?

Closed Thread