HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Part Agoogleplex

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2013, 06:01 PM
LolClarkson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
While we're at it, we can throw in Hamonic, Strome, Reinhart & Mayfield. Just make sure we get Keith Ballard back.

I don't see any DP/Luongo deals happening, but if it does, I really don't think you guys will be pleased with the asset that goes back. because it isn't going to be a difference maker.
If no difference maker comes back then you can keep the worst contract in history.

Old
06-03-2013, 06:20 PM
YouppiKiYay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
I am curious what adding Bieksa to Luongo might bring
Joy to the fan base?

Old
06-03-2013, 06:22 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 53
The only way a Luongo/DiPietro deal happens is if the Canucks get a good player packaged with DP. It's the only way.

Old
06-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
If no difference maker comes back then you can keep the worst contract in history.
Well the deal wouldn't just be DP+ for Luongo. It would be DP+ for Lunongo, Booth/Ballard/another bad contract you're looking to move.

it's basically the assets for a cap-dump. I don't think the Isles are at a point in their rebuild where they can trade say a Ryan Strome or Griffin Reinhart for a 34 year old goalie with a lot of contract left, a 30 year old sub 6'00" Dman who hasn't been particularly good the last few years &/or a 28 year old LW (which we have plenty of) who hasn't been skating like a top 6 player for about 5 years now.

I just think for as much fun as it is to talk about this, and as much as on the surface both teams could benefit, in the long term it's a move that winds up hurting the Islanders.

There are plenty of goalies avaliable this summer. Granted none as good as Luongo, but there are #1 goalies out there. To me it just makes more sense to get a goalie elsewhere if the price is giving up a difference maker. To me the Isles difference makers are way more valuable than getting rid of Ricks deal. It isn't as if we're going to be up against the cap anyway.

Old
06-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
The only way a Luongo/DiPietro deal happens is if the Canucks get a good player packaged with DP. It's the only way.
It amuses me how people think owners will pay $24 million just for a mid round first. I know HF has a love affair with picks that borders on obsession, but bloody hell.

Old
06-03-2013, 06:32 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
It amuses me how people think owners will pay $24 million just for a mid round first. I know HF has a love affair with picks that borders on obsession, but bloody hell.
Aquilini isn't going to shell out $24M of his own money for just a draft pick. It has to be an impact player or a highly touted prospect so he knows what he's paying $24M for. With our history of drafting, I wouldn't pay $24M for a draft pick, especially if it was my money.

Old
06-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Aquilini isn't going to shell out $24M of his own money for just a draft pick. It has to be an impact player or a highly touted prospect so he knows what he's paying $24M for.
Agreed. And that is likely the same for every team Isle fans are now bringing up Nino is a gamble, but young enough most teams would probably be comfortable taking a chance on - his AHL numbers this year help. Anything short of him and Long Island best begin the paper to buy DP out themselves.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Fictional Realism
What is going on?

vCash: 894
Quote:
Aquilini isn't going to shell out $24M of his own money for just a draft pick. It has to be an impact player or a highly touted prospect so he knows what he's paying $24M for. With our history of drafting, I wouldn't pay $24M for a draft pick, especially if it was my money.
Pretty freaking much.

All this calculation of what $24MM is worth in assets really serves no purpose. It's worth what an owner is willing to take for $24MM in cash basically. I don't buy some of the main board speculation that there will be a lot of teams lined up for this one. It's sure nice for fans to speculate on "free" assets, but for an owner it is a big bite to take. You'd really have to sweeten the deal I'd think for any ownership group to swallow that entire deal.

Gillis (or any GM for that matter) would have to bring a deal to ownership that actually justified such a massive expense. Regardless of the assets coming back most of the league likely doesn't make enough profit to swallow a buy out of that size anyway.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
To me the Isles difference makers are way more valuable than getting rid of Ricks deal.
To you, absolutely. You're not stroking the $25mil cheque.

Ask season ticket holders if they want to pitch in an extra ten grand to help buyout Dipietro or instead move him with Nino and a pick and I can tell you opinions would change pretty quickly.

Old
06-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

Ask season ticket holders if they want to pitch in an extra ten grand to help buyout Dipietro or instead move him with Nino and a pick and I can tell you opinions would change pretty quickly.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:

I have a feeling some of those season ticket holders could probably afford to pay for the entire buyout.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:32 PM
LolClarkson*

Quote:
Well the deal wouldn't just be DP+ for Luongo. It would be DP+ for Lunongo, Booth/Ballard/another bad contract you're looking to move.

it's basically the assets for a cap-dump. I don't think the Isles are at a point in their rebuild where they can trade say a Ryan Strome or Griffin Reinhart for a 34 year old goalie with a lot of contract left, a 30 year old sub 6'00" Dman who hasn't been particularly good the last few years &/or a 28 year old LW (which we have plenty of) who hasn't been skating like a top 6 player for about 5 years now.

I just think for as much fun as it is to talk about this, and as much as on the surface both teams could benefit, in the long term it's a move that winds up hurting the Islanders.

There are plenty of goalies avaliable this summer. Granted none as good as Luongo, but there are #1 goalies out there. To me it just makes more sense to get a goalie elsewhere if the price is giving up a difference maker. To me the Isles difference makers are way more valuable than getting rid of Ricks deal. It isn't as if we're going to be up against the cap anyway.
It was the Isles who brought up their intention to trade DP as a buyout. It had nothing to do with Luongo.

So the question is, what will the Isles have to package with DP in order to move him ?

I would say it has to be Okaposo , Nino or somebody like that plus picks.

Old
06-03-2013, 08:35 PM
LolClarkson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
You know how else you get top prospects ?

-losing a lot which isn't cheap
-breaking up your core by trading your top roster player (intending to lose a lot in the future)

Old
06-03-2013, 09:00 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Pretty freaking much.

All this calculation of what $24MM is worth in assets really serves no purpose. It's worth what an owner is willing to take for $24MM in cash basically. I don't buy some of the main board speculation that there will be a lot of teams lined up for this one. It's sure nice for fans to speculate on "free" assets, but for an owner it is a big bite to take. You'd really have to sweeten the deal I'd think for any ownership group to swallow that entire deal.

Gillis (or any GM for that matter) would have to bring a deal to ownership that actually justified such a massive expense. Regardless of the assets coming back most of the league likely doesn't make enough profit to swallow a buy out of that size anyway.
Sheesh, where were you guys when I was getting killed for saying that Aquilini probably wouldn't be on board with buyouts or retaining any of Luongo's salary when it they could just get rid of them for picks?

I just don't see it happening. This franchise could easily lose it's cash cow status, how quickly we forget.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:16 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Pretty freaking much.

TO would be the obvious candidate if it was owned by a hockey crazy private owner. It isn't, it is a profit making business.

Philly still have Bryzgalov's potential buyout to deal with, rules them out IMHO.

NYR maybe, but after all of Sather's screw ups that ended in buyouts they probably want to play it safe.

Who else is left that has the financial clout? Montreal? Detroit? Chicago? Vancouver? Boston (Jacobs, not likely)?

Of those who has the will power/need? Vancouver.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:30 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Last 20 years of 15th overall picks

Jason Bowen
Mats Lindgren
Alexander Kharlamov
Martin Biron
Dainius Zubrus
Matt Zultek
Mathieu Chouinard
Scott Kelman
Artem Kryukov
Igor Knyazev
Jesse Niinimaki
Robert Nilsson
Alexander Radulov
Ryan O'Marra
Riku Helenius
Alex Plante
Erik Karlsson
Peter Holland
Derek Forbort
J. T. Miller
Cody Ceci

I wouldn't pay $24m for a 1 in 20 shot at Karlsson

Old
06-03-2013, 09:32 PM
yarder

Quote:
Pretty freaking much.

Was it not Francesco Aquilini that was the driving force behind Lu's contract. I seem to remember that circulating at the time of the deal.
I think it is no coincidence that the price hikes are occurring at the time of buyouts. It might be how Gillis saved his job

Old
06-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
I wouldn't pay $24m for a 1 in 20 shot at Karlsson
a better way to compile this would be to look at the last four years of the 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, and 17th.

Zack Kassian
Dmitri Kulikov
Peter Holland
Nick Leddy
David Rundblad
Brandon Gormley
Jaden Schwartz
Derek Forbort
Vladimir Tarasenko
Joey Hishon
Duncan Siemens
Ryan Murphy
Sven Baertschi
Jamie Oleksiak
J.T. Miller
Radek Faksa ----- (Colten Teubert)
Zemgus Girgensons ----- (Zach Boychuk)
Cody Ceci ----- (Erik Karlsson)
Tom Wilson ----- (Joe Colborne)
Tomas Hertl ----- (Jake Gardiner)

you could leave out 2012 if you think those five are too uncertain - see (players)

id say it seems more reasonable that a 15th this year is closer in value (in that draft picks are more valuable because scouting has improved at the top level) to a 13th in 2010 than it is a 15th in 1997

Old
06-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Wisp

The Luongo deal strikes me as something typical of transplanted Italians, where one Italian homie gives special treatment to another Italian just because he's Italian.

I can't tell you how many ****** business contacts my Grandfather kept just because they were also Italian. He expected my mom to take us to every new Italian dentist, doctor, whatever he found (wanting us to drop our current doctor, etc) and they were almost slimy and creepy.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

Luongo for Malkin

Old
06-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Wisp

If we're buying 1sts, I'd rather try to relieve Tampa of theirs (for Vinny).

Old
06-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
its not a $25mil cheque, it's sixteen $1.5m cheques, possibly even divvied up in a pseudo-salary way (biweekely/monthly/whatever). paying $1.5m now and getting interest/value on $23.5m this year, then $22m next year etc is a lot easier to justify.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Carl Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Luongo for Malkin
I was just going to say looks like the pens could use a goalie...

Old
06-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

Nearing 1k posts, continue here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1440955

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Old
06-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
a better way to compile this would be to look at the last four years of the 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, and 17th.

Zack Kassian
Dmitri Kulikov
Peter Holland
Nick Leddy
David Rundblad
Brandon Gormley
Jaden Schwartz
Derek Forbort
Vladimir Tarasenko
Joey Hishon
Duncan Siemens
Ryan Murphy
Sven Baertschi
Jamie Oleksiak
J.T. Miller
Radek Faksa ----- (Colten Teubert)
Zemgus Girgensons ----- (Zach Boychuk)
Cody Ceci ----- (Erik Karlsson)
Tom Wilson ----- (Joe Colborne)
Tomas Hertl ----- (Jake Gardiner)

you could leave out 2012 if you think those five are too uncertain - see (players)

id say it seems more reasonable that a 15th this year is closer in value (in that draft picks are more valuable because scouting has improved at the top level) to a 13th in 2010 than it is a 15th in 1997
Still a whole lot of mediocre players who I wouldn't give up that much money for.

Closed Thread