Notices

Chris Kelly needs to show up (NOW) or ship out this summer

Old
07-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Dennis Bonvie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
I understand our cap is still iffy but I think Kelly brings so much more to the team than what some people here are giving him credit for. I'd prefer to keep him myself.
Completely agree.

Also don't think he would bring back enough at this point to make it worthwhile.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:55 AM
BruinsBtn

Kelly was a disaster all year. Hopefully they can find someone to take him.

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:08 AM
tragos

I think Kelly's a great guy but I'd have kept Ference over him in a heartbeat. I think his value to the team is too wildly different from his paycheck to keep him on. Hope they figure it out to move him for someone cheaper and speedier.

tragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwm View Post
From the main board:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!
In all fairness here, that article was written prior to the Seguin and Peverley trade.

I wonder if Bill would post that link on our board today and if his opinion has changed

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Yeti34

I cut him some slack. These half seasons really can hurt some players more an others.

Yeti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:50 AM
CanadianBruinsFan

Let him rehab the leg he broke then see if he's half as bad as he looked at the end of last year. People need to give a little more slack to guys that play hurt. Seidenberg, Kelly were pretty banged up.

CanadianBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:04 AM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
I wonder if Bill would post that link on our board today and if his opinion has changed
Yeah, I'm "hearing" he's safe for one more year. Unfortunately my opinion has changed and I feel a little bad about riling people up. I got excited myself when I saw that article. Especially considering what the alternative is (in terms of who we're going to have to deal to free up the same amount of money).

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:10 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Yeah, I'm "hearing" he's safe for one more year. Unfortunately my opinion has changed and I feel a little bad about riling people up. I got excited myself when I saw that article. Especially considering what the alternative is (in terms of who we're going to have to deal to free up the same amount of money).
With a NTC, I don't see how they'd be able to to deal him. My guess is that the venn diagram of teams willing to take on his contract and teams he's willing to go to has no intersection. My worry is that they already know this and PC is being made to wait a year to buy him out.

The only thing about trading one of the defensemen (and I don't love the idea by any stretch) is that either of them would bring back a pretty hefty return, given the dearth of defensemen that were available. The downside is that none of the young D play the same type of game as Boychuk, and don't bring the immediate help in keeping Chara's minutes down that Seidenberg does.

From a fan standpoint, I'd rather they run Soderberg-Spooner-Smith or something like that than try to replace one of the top 4 D.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:14 AM
RussellmaniaKW

With this much turnover, I don't feel super comfortable with dealing Kelly right now. He's one of the leaders of this team and I think having that stability down the middle while our new wingers assimilate will be important. Does anyone really want to see a 3rd line where all 3 guys are new to the NHL (Something like Soderberg/Spooner/Knight)? I would be excited about that line once a couple of those guys have had time playing with a guy like Kelly, but I wouldn't throw an all rookie 3rd line out there to start the season.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:16 AM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBruinsFan View Post
Let him rehab the leg he broke then see if he's half as bad as he looked at the end of last year. People need to give a little more slack to guys that play hurt. Seidenberg, Kelly were pretty banged up.
But he looked bad before the broken leg. Maybe it was the short season... I don't know.

Fwiw, I've never been one of Kelly's big supporters. I recognize that, when he's playing well, he's a strong defensive center, but I don't think he's the "perfect 3rd line center" for our team. Maybe on a team that asks their 3rd line to play a checking role but on this team our top2 centers go head to head with the other team's best leaving Kelly to play against weaker competition. This team is at it's best when that 3rd line contributes offensively.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:28 AM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
But he looked bad before the broken leg. Maybe it was the short season... I don't know.

Fwiw, I've never been one of Kelly's big supporters. I recognize that, when he's playing well, he's a strong defensive center, but I don't think he's the "perfect 3rd line center" for our team. Maybe on a team that asks their 3rd line to play a checking role but on this team our top2 centers go head to head with the other team's best leaving Kelly to play against weaker competition. This team is at it's best when that 3rd line contributes offensively.
IIRC, Kelly was starting to come out of his funk right when the broken leg happened.

As for offense, Kelly has shown that he can contribute offensively if given productive linemates. When stuck with Pevs and Bourque he was dying out there because he's not a guy who creates his own offense, but with Seguin and Paille making plays he looked better because he's good at crashing the net and tapping in goals (that one play in the finals notwithstanding). I think Soderberg will be hungry and show more than Peverley did last year. The X factor will be who ends up on the right side. If it's someone with a little creativity I expect Kelly to bounce back.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:35 AM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
With this much turnover, I don't feel super comfortable with dealing Kelly right now. He's one of the leaders of this team and I think having that stability down the middle while our new wingers assimilate will be important. Does anyone really want to see a 3rd line where all 3 guys are new to the NHL (Something like Soderberg/Spooner/Knight)? I would be excited about that line once a couple of those guys have had time playing with a guy like Kelly, but I wouldn't throw an all rookie 3rd line out there to start the season.
Who do you feel comfortable dealing? Because IMO (and I'm not alone on this) the B's will move one more player to reduce that cap penalty they're facing. If not Kelly, then it's going to be someone who was much more instrumental in their Cup run...

That said, I hear what you are saying about an all-rookie 3rd line and I think it's why the B's are reluctant to move CK23. Spooner may have looked great in his first pro season, but so did Krejci his first year, yet Krejci was a complete non-factor for the majority of his rookie season. I think we're going to see a lot of these young guys moved in and out and we'll see Kelly moved around (LW/RW/C, some 4th line) as they try to get some of the young kids up front some big league playing time.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:41 AM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
IIRC, Kelly was starting to come out of his funk right when the broken leg happened.

As for offense, Kelly has shown that he can contribute offensively if given productive linemates. When stuck with Pevs and Bourque he was dying out there because he's not a guy who creates his own offense, but with Seguin and Paille making plays he looked better because he's good at crashing the net and tapping in goals (that one play in the finals notwithstanding). I think Soderberg will be hungry and show more than Peverley did last year. The X factor will be who ends up on the right side. If it's someone with a little creativity I expect Kelly to bounce back.
I don't know, I feel like the only way he contributes is when he's being carried by superior offensive players who are playing well. And I don't know that two rookies are going to be enough to push him back up to "offensive contributor" level.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:48 AM
CanadianBruinsFan

Put Seguin on his right wing, that'll add some scoring punch to the line.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:55 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Who do you feel comfortable dealing? Because IMO (and I'm not alone on this) the B's will move one more player to reduce that cap penalty they're facing. If not Kelly, then it's going to be someone who was much more instrumental in their Cup run...

That said, I hear what you are saying about an all-rookie 3rd line and I think it's why the B's are reluctant to move CK23. Spooner may have looked great in his first pro season, but so did Krejci his first year, yet Krejci was a complete non-factor for the majority of his rookie season. I think we're going to see a lot of these young guys moved in and out and we'll see Kelly moved around (LW/RW/C, some 4th line) as they try to get some of the young kids up front some big league playing time.
I feel like if it's not Kelly it's gotta be someone on D, right? McQuaid or Boychuk?

Or would that leave a bit too much young blood on the back end?

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Numbah4

We can't be sure Soderberg is going to cut it. I'm glad we signed him at such a low figure. But, he is a tad slow. And, he prefers center to LW. Looks like we're going to start the season with Kelly/Soderberg as our lw/c on the 3rd line. If Soderberg can't cut it, we can always use Spooner there. He might beat him out anyway. I haven't seen Spooner play. But, defensive play and checking aren't his specialties. Seems like Kelly would be a really good fit with Spooner. My 3rd line would be Kelly-Soderberg/Spooner - Paille. I know we're breaking up the Merlot line. But, Paille looked really good last year and wouldn't mind seeing him get more PT. Caron or R. Smith can battle it out for that spot on the 4th line.

Other teams are spending tens of millions of dollars on buyouts. I don't think paying Chris Kelly and going over the cap by a little and paying Savvy's LTIR should factor in the decision. Does he help the team? I would say yes. He could become expendable with great camps by Soderberg and Spooner. But, let's not put the carriage in front of the horses yet.

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:17 AM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
I feel like if it's not Kelly it's gotta be someone on D, right? McQuaid or Boychuk?

Or would that leave a bit too much young blood on the back end?
Moving McQuaid doens't save you any money. It would have to be one of Boychuk or Seidenberg and JB has already been rumored to be available. And yes, that leaves you very green on your back end with Hamilton, Krug and one of Bartkowski/Morrow (less than 100 NHL games combined) all skating regular spots.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Yeti34

Quote:
Moving McQuaid doens't save you any money. It would have to be one of Boychuk or Seidenberg and JB has already been rumored to be available. And yes, that leaves you very green on your back end with Hamilton, Krug and one of Bartkowski/Morrow (less than 100 NHL games combined) all skating regular spots.
Noooooo. Trading Boychuck would be a huge mistake.

Yeti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:

If not Kelly, I think only Boychuk would fit that bill, but then we would have a serious problem, because Johnny Rocket is becoming a very good top 4 dman. We would need a cost controlled young dman, however I don't know if Boychuk + Koko (assuming he is available again) would bring that piece.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:29 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
I believe he's safe until they see how Spooner is progressing. He'll be here a week from tomorrow to get his measurables. FOS tell me he's having a nice summer and working on what he needs to improve on. I think Linus (and not their first round pick) would have an easier time giving up his blanket than Claude would Kelly; but all bets off after this year if Spooner steps up

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Boston XII
Believe in Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBruinsFan View Post
Put Seguin on his right wing, that'll add some scoring punch to the line.
So are you suggesting trading Kelly to Dallas?

Boston XII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Lord Ahriman

Assuming salary cap at $70M:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($7.000m) / Jared Knight ($0.870m)
Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / Reilly Smith ($0.900m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Enforcer XXXXX ($1.000m)
Ryan Spooner ($0.870m) / Cap Penalty ($4.830m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m)
Torey Krug ($2.000m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)
Matt Bartkowski ($2.000m) / Dougie Hamilton ($1.494m)
Joe Morrow ($0.863m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($6.750m)
Niklas Svedberg ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,769,167; BONUSES: $1,057,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $288,333

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:33 AM
CanadianBruinsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
If not Kelly, I think only Boychuk would fit that bill, but then we would have a serious problem, because Johnny Rocket is becoming a very good top 4 dman. We would need a cost controlled young dman, however I don't know if Boychuk + Koko (assuming he is available again) would bring that piece.
Like Kelly's game, but I dump Kelly 100 times over Boychuk right now. Love Johnny Rocket.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I believe he's safe until they see how Spooner is progressing. He'll be here a week from tomorrow to get his measurables. FOS tell me he's having a nice summer and working on what he needs to improve on. I think Linus (and not their first round pick) would have an easier time giving up his blanket than Claude would Kelly; but all bets off after this year if Spooner steps up
Which is why I made you the bet

Don't think Kelly finishes his contract up in Boston.

But the $$$ tell me, there has to be another move pending. It really doesn't have to be this season, they can take the cap penalty into next season, but without knowing the actual cap number, its a huge risk....which is why I think there is another move to come before September

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:39 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
Which is why I made you the bet

Don't think Kelly finishes his contract up in Boston.

But the $$$ tell me, there has to be another move pending. It really doesn't have to be this season, they can take the cap penalty into next season, but without knowing the actual cap number, its a huge risk....which is why I think there is another move to come before September
Spooner according to OUR mutual friend lol says he is doing well this summer- raved about his shot and says he is looking good. Hope it shows up next week in testing

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote