Chris Kelly needs to show up (NOW) or ship out this summer

Old
06-15-2013, 10:48 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
On behalf of people who get the concept of team play, I graciously accept your humble redaction.

Hey now, part of team play is also being accountable for oneself. But he did play well tonight, that's for sure in the end. This line has to keep it up to give us the three lines we must have to win. I still wouldn't become to attached to him emotionally, he's gotta go.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Trap Jesus

vCash: 500
Willing to eat crow on this one. He was great from the second period on. Still need a lot more out of him on a consistent basis though. Hopefully that new third line keeps clicking.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:46 PM
mattbnh

nothing makes me happier than when a Bruin I have criticized plays a key role in a win. Nice jacket, Mr. Kelly.

PS - agree with cat400 - Kelly and Pevs have played just fine on the PK. I always hope for more, but their PK has been consistently good.

Do you think that didn't have an effect on the Pens?

Last edited by mattbnh: 06-15-2013 at 11:51 PM.
mattbnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:29 AM
Colt.45Orr

Let me get this straight:

We point out that Kelly needs to do more --he needs to show up and help bear a little bit of the offensive load and that it would be HUGE if he did.

He f----i----n---a----l---l----y does help out.... doing, by definition, the very thing that we have been begging him to do for a month+ and now we should somehow eat crow???? WTF?

It's like if you kept taking your car to the mechanic and he kept sending it back without fixing the problem so you decide to bad-mouth him and question his abilities. Finally (on the 10th time you send your car there) he decides to fix it... does that now make him a great mechanic and does it mean you should eat crow for calling him out for his previous piss poor performances? Use your brain, people. Keep it up Kelly, we may need you to chip in again before it is over... in 4 more games I think that is a reasonable expectation.

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:31 AM
N o o d l e s

Why do we have to eat crow? He's finally played a good game after a year of suck, I think he needs to prove something again game 3 before we get too excited. Of curse knowing him from what we've seen in the past I bet you he will. I was really happy to see him score tonight. If he can start to produce now and over the course of the next 5 games I think he will be forgiven for all the horrible play/invisibility

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 06:50 AM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalus View Post

Just thought it was interesting to know they shopped Pevs around.
I never said it was Pevs, I said 1 of the 2 !!

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:17 AM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Heh.

Here's the thing, critics of Cage; I think you'll find that even the most ardent supporters of Kelly's will say he hasn't had a good year. While his game brings a lot of those crazy intangibles that don't translate into the sexy stats, his play has come up short in some very key places that matter a lot. A realistic fan knows that.

Title of this thread says Chris Kelly needs to show up NOW. Like, in CAPS because its serious. In this what have you done for me lately world, we like our immediacy.

As such, the most immediate play of Chris Kelly is a huge part of this team walking out of United Center with a split and coming home with home-ice advantage. He hit harder last night, was strong on the Puck, skated with more authority and played what was probably his best game all year. To the surprise of almost everyone but me (yes I'm going to pat myself on the back for a while for that most improbable call) and maybe 1-2 others tops, he scored the type of dirty goal we've wanted to see all year and was on ice for the game winner. He challenged his teammates to be better and led by example and they rewarded him for his leadership.

Its not my problem that past critics want to "eat crow." People will do what they do and I'm not in the business of telling people how they should or shouldn't respond. Me, I'm in a discussion thread about how Kelly needs to respond NOW pointing out how he responded NOW at the time when his teammates and the fans that cheer for him needed it the most.

So yeah, you folks have had all season to deservedly dump on him. Just don't be surprised when on the night of his best game of the season that fans of him want to celebrate his success, and I'm damn sure none of us are as happy and relieved as 23 himself. I'm sure that the next time he's on the ice for a goal against all the happy thoughts will be gone and status quo maintained.

But for now, in this what haves you done for me lately world of results, of NOW, Kells delivered you a Game 2 SCF win. So yes, ill enjoy a side of crow with my eggs and toast....for NOW.

#vivalacage

Culture of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Kalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
I never said it was Pevs, I said 1 of the 2 !!
Touche!

Kalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Mpata

Plays one good game.

Anybody whoever mentioned all the bad games must now eat crow.

Mpata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:36 AM
dtam83

he had one great game. let's hope he keeps it up.

dtam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpata View Post
Plays one good game.

Anybody whoever mentioned all the bad games must now eat crow.
Clearly, no bird need be eaten.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Claude tells Kelly to still embrace his leadership role despite his sub par performance on the ice.

Kelly lays into the team after the horrible 1st period of game 2. Then he goes out and scores his first goal of the playoffs in the 2nd.

The team loves Kelly, and the way game 2 went down was so bloody awesome, I just can't see anyone beating us.

We are the best team in the NHL. Bar none.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Colt.45Orr

He played better after the goal (likely helps to skate without all that weight on your shoulders) so hopefully he keeps it up tonight and the rest of the series.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:38 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Kelly showing some June 2011 tonight

DKH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:15 PM
rocketdan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Kelly showing some June 2011 tonight
its not by fluke. When you have zero chemistry with your linemates, than your confidence and game suffers. He didn't do much offensively bc, he was worried the lack of chemistry will result in a turnover and was more concerned about defense.

The problem with that third line was having too much speed but no board play, no passing. Peverly is a freaking hog imo. Step in Paille and Seguin/Kelly look 100 percent better.

This line should be the 3rd line for next year

rocketdan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:16 PM
TMac21
Save us Sweeney

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Couldn't have picked a better time to start playing again....secondary scoring has been huge.

TMac21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

I think I'll park this here for the time being.

Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins 5m
Quote:
Chris Kelly passed on the Player of the Game Jacket tonight to Dennis Seidenberg ^CS
#results

Culture of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Tonight is why he is on the team next year, he had a broken leg, his conditioning had to have been below 85% by the time the play-offs started, game every other night and you need to be at your peak.

Line chemistry was never there, the third line was lost with Bourque and never found thier groove.

Now he has Paille instead of Peverly whom has been our worst forward this post season well Dogman is trying to take the cake, oh yeah and Dogman was another winger he had to deal with, Kelly now has 2 legit top 9 nearly top 6 wingers and he has been playing amazing.

If he did not get the Jacket Saturday he would have gotten it tonight for sure atleast 3 diveing poke checks to break up a oddman or get the puck out or keep the puck out of the zone, Backchecked to hell, drew a penalty, great forcheck he was vintage tonight.

His leadership is showing up in this series it is easy to see, the team loves him and he is a perfect leader.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:24 PM
missingchicklet

Kelly was great again tonight. What a difference your linemates can make.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post

its not by fluke. When you have zero chemistry with your linemates, than your confidence and game suffers. He didn't do much offensively bc, he was worried the lack of chemistry will result in a turnover and was more concerned about defense.

The problem with that third line was having too much speed but no board play, no passing. Peverly is a freaking hog imo. Step in Paille and Seguin/Kelly look 100 percent better.

This line should be the 3rd line for next year
Yeah but our top 2 right wings are Free agents, Paille is going back down becuase Spooner is not going to be here to play wing on line 4, he will center Kelly and whomever.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:08 PM
neelynugs

nice hands, kelly

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
nice hands, kelly
Heh, yup.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Colt.45Orr

Kelly played really well but it sucked that he missed that open-net tap in. Looks like he has hit his quota for goals for these playoffs.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:37 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Kelly played really well but it sucked that he missed that open-net tap in. Looks like he has hit his quota for goals for these playoffs.
Sadly this is the truth.

We are getting very solid play from Kelly. Goals...dunno. If he gets a chance that easy next game I'd bet on him missing it.

But Kelly stepping up has been big, his line has been good. We will need them, particularly since after tonight our first line will have a hard time matching Toews/Kane line going forward.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:43 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

I think he was pretty good again tonight.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote