HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rating the new top 20

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-08-2005, 05:51 PM
  #26
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
Indeed he was a fairly reliable player for the Baby Leafs. He was not dominant, though, and I am beginning to lose hope that he will ever make an impact at the NHL level.

In contrast, Colaiacovo looked very good whenever he wasn't injured ( ) , White was very strong for a rookie, and Wozniewski- in his brief season- looked liked the player Harrison was supposed to be.

Honestly, I think even Marc Moro has a better chance than Bell to play for Toronto.
I couldn't disagree more.

LeafErikson* is offline  
Old
05-08-2005, 05:54 PM
  #27
timlap
Registered User
 
timlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 7,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedaeagle20
I couldn't disagree more.
Really? You mean you disagree with everything I said?

Give me your opinion on Leafs defensive prospects.

timlap is offline  
Old
05-08-2005, 06:09 PM
  #28
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
That assumes Falon is responsible for the orignal set of rankings as well- and I gather that's not the case. Perhaps he just felt that the original rankings were high (if he even consulted them- which he didn't need to do).
yes i did assume falon made the original rankings as well. did he not?

either way, the answer to mooseoak's question is obvious. either falon thinks their play went down this year, or else he thinks the original rankings were too high.

Quote:
And I don't think its a stretch to suggest that Wellwood improved his value as a prospect this season.
i don't think so either.

but if someone thought his stock went down, it would have to be because of his invisible playoff performance.

Frankie is offline  
Old
05-08-2005, 06:11 PM
  #29
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedaeagle20
I'm not sure I'm getting the lack of love for Bell, he was probobly one of the baby Leafs more reliable defenceman, who definatly deserves to be higher than he's being placed.
bell was the 6th most reliable defenceman. behind moro, carlo, kiwi, white, and harrison. ahead of only kelly.

that's why there's no love.

Frankie is offline  
Old
05-08-2005, 07:11 PM
  #30
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
31 points isn't a bad season, I can see however Bell didn't have a great year defensivly, a -15. However, for him to be rated around 17th in the system is too low. He's definatly behind Carlo and White, and Wozniewsky probobly deserve the better ranking, but he shouldn't be behind harrison.

LeafErikson* is offline  
Old
05-08-2005, 08:15 PM
  #31
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
are we just going to argue in circles?

their rankings went down, right? isn't that a pretty good indication that, in the opinion of whoever made up those rankings, their play went downhill?

why else would their rankings go down?
All I asked was for an explanation until some moron jumped into the middle of the discussion.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
05-08-2005, 08:22 PM
  #32
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
All I asked was for an explanation until some moron jumped into the middle of the discussion.


my explanation makes perfect sense. in fact its the only explanation that makes any sense.

wasn't a very intelligent question you asked. why do you think falon gave them lower rankings? because they played so well?

Frankie is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 12:00 AM
  #33
timlap
Registered User
 
timlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 7,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
. . .
my explanation makes perfect sense. in fact its the only explanation that makes any sense.
. . .
It makes sense, but it isn't an explanation. I think the question could be restated as, "What specifically about their seasons led to a lower ranking?"

timlap is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 08:24 AM
  #34
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
It makes sense, but it isn't an explanation. I think the question could be restated as, "What specifically about their seasons led to a lower ranking?"
well that clearly was not the question. it can't be "restated", but i supposed it could be changed, or a new question asked.

falon would have to answer your new question.

Frankie is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 12:59 AM
  #35
Falon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon
Since there is unfortunately, no leafs writer to do a new top 20, what would you all rate the new top 20? My ratings are below:

#1 - Carlo Colaiacovo - 7.5A
#2 - Alexander Steen - 7.5A
#3 - Kyle Wellwood - 7B
#4 - Ian White - 7B
#5 - Jeremy Williams - 7B
#6 - Justin Pogge - 7B
#7 - Robert Earl - 7C
#8 - Dmitri Vorobiev - 7C
#9 - John Mitchell - 6A
#10 - Jean-Francois Racine - 6B
#11 - Todd Ford - 6B
#12 - Martin Sagat - 6B
#13 - Markus Seikola - 6C
#14 - Staffan Kronwall - 6C
#15 - Alexander Shinkar - 6C
#16 - Ben Ondrus - 5.5A
#17 - Brendan Bell - 5A
#18 - Jay Harrison - 5A
#19 - Dominic D'Amour 5.0B
#20 - Konstantin Volkov - 5C

Bring on the critics
Thank you for your opinions. Some ratings had changed for the players since I originally posted them, some had not. Since however, many of you are wondering why I rated what I rated, here is my reasoning.

Both Colaiacovo and Steen had sub par years this but I believe are NHL ready. Hence the "A" rating which I beleive to be their max potential. Should Steen move to the wing, I would increase it 8.0A as I feel he will be a much better winger then center. And if Colaiacovo can make it a full season without getting hurt, I would put him up to 8.0 as well. This is not to say he is injury prone, but that the freak injuries he has sustained may now be starting to hamper his development.

Wellwood, White, Williams and Pogge actually went up. Not in number, but in letter. Which means that I feel that there performance warranted the acknowledgement that their odds of making and performing well in the NHL are improving. However, I think we all can agree that at this point, none are potential stars.

Earl, Vorobiev and Mitchell ratings did not change ratings however their position may have, I am not sure. All had very good seasons that justified their ratings perfectly, yet none took their games up a notch to warrant an increase in number.

Players 10-15 all had improved seasons and progressed in their development, therefore receiving higher ratings. Whether or not they continue to progress or come to N.A., was not taken into account.

Ondrus's rating did not change because I think he will make the NHL as a 4th line player. D'Amour is a project D for the leafs, but did ok in limited AHL action this season. Volkov is a cautious pick because so many other prospect agencies have him in the top 20 even though information on him is skeptchy. His rating did not change because despite what others may say, not making the RSL yet does not bode well IMO. Bell and Harrison both went down because I think the leafs are gonna cut Harrison loose this off season. His performance has not improved since his first season with the buds, it has only gotten worse. I don't think it is a tstretch to call him a bust at this point. Finally, Bell will never make the NHL IMO simply because he cannot do everything well. He can do one thing or the other but not both. He can play ok defensively, but then does nothing on offense. Or he tries to run the offense and completely misses his D assignments. It's like he can;t walk and chew gum or something. This season was his chance to establish himself, to make his presence felt. We all chalked up the same blown opportunity last season to a rookie year. This season, he still battled consistency. IMO Ian White was the best defenseman on the buds this year and he WAS a rookie. No excuses, and he silenced many critics. Just the way I see it.

Falon is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 09:00 AM
  #36
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,617
vCash: 500
Ratings are going to be somewhat skewed in Europe as many NHLers took time away from prospects there, whereas in the AHL it was mostly younger NHLers, and journeymen NHL players who competed for time.

Looking at Russia, the Leafies had 2 prospects who got lots of playing time on defense for the, what 2nd. best RSL team that had been reinforced by lots of NHLers.

So when you look at Semenov and Vorobiev, how do you compare their performances against Carlo and White?

Could the RSL winners best the Calder Champs in a 7 game series?

How competitive would the Marlies be in the NHL reinforced RSL?

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 10:17 AM
  #37
Falon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Ratings are going to be somewhat skewed in Europe as many NHLers took time away from prospects there, whereas in the AHL it was mostly younger NHLers, and journeymen NHL players who competed for time.

Looking at Russia, the Leafies had 2 prospects who got lots of playing time on defense for the, what 2nd. best RSL team that had been reinforced by lots of NHLers.

So when you look at Semenov and Vorobiev, how do you compare their performances against Carlo and White?

Could the RSL winners best the Calder Champs in a 7 game series?

How competitive would the Marlies be in the NHL reinforced RSL?
Vorobiev did have an outstanding season this year. His offensive prowess was shown off at the WJC. Semenov however, has done little to impress me. I think his performance may be the direct result of playing with Vorobiev. And yes, both did play alot in the RSL which did have a fair bit of NHL players. But in all fairness, so did the AHL and the SEL. That aside however, I put both White and Colaiacovo ahead of Vorobiev and Semenov due to their development and experience. Also, most would agree that the jump from he AHL to the NHL is a much shorter one then the RSL to the NHL, simply by virtue of the style of play, ice surface, etc. Not to mention the fact that the offensive games of Cola and White are much more pronounced IMO then Vorobiev.

Falon is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 10:26 AM
  #38
Pappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon
Since there is unfortunately, no leafs writer to do a new top 20, what would you all rate the new top 20? My ratings are below:

#1 - Carlo Colaiacovo - 7.5A
#2 - Alexander Steen - 7.5A
#3 - Kyle Wellwood - 7B
#4 - Ian White - 7B
#5 - Jeremy Williams - 7B
#6 - Justin Pogge - 7B
#7 - Robert Earl - 7C
#8 - Dmitri Vorobiev - 7C
#9 - John Mitchell - 6A
#10 - Jean-Francois Racine - 6B
#11 - Todd Ford - 6B
#12 - Martin Sagat - 6B
#13 - Markus Seikola - 6C
#14 - Staffan Kronwall - 6C
#15 - Alexander Shinkar - 6C
#16 - Ben Ondrus - 5.5A
#17 - Brendan Bell - 5A
#18 - Jay Harrison - 5A
#19 - Dominic D'Amour 5.0B
#20 - Konstantin Volkov - 5C

Bring on the critics
Maybe 2 or 3 might be roll players in the NHL, a couple of others might spend their time between the NHL and the AHL, the others the ECHL and Central league, this list should be forwarded to Bettman who then should award Crosby immediatley to the Leafs, even with Sid we well still have a chance at Kessell next year.

Pappy is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 11:11 AM
  #39
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
Maybe 2 or 3 might be roll players in the NHL, a couple of others might spend their time between the NHL and the AHL, the others the ECHL and Central league, this list should be forwarded to Bettman who then should award Crosby immediatley to the Leafs, even with Sid we well still have a chance at Kessell next year.
Why do you keep coming back here?

Serious question. You obviously aren't a Leaf fan, so what is the attraction? Do you get off on predicting misery for the team? What is it?

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 11:48 AM
  #40
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon
Vorobiev did have an outstanding season this year. His offensive prowess was shown off at the WJC. Semenov however, has done little to impress me. I think his performance may be the direct result of playing with Vorobiev. And yes, both did play alot in the RSL which did have a fair bit of NHL players. But in all fairness, so did the AHL and the SEL. That aside however, I put both White and Colaiacovo ahead of Vorobiev and Semenov due to their development and experience. Also, most would agree that the jump from he AHL to the NHL is a much shorter one then the RSL to the NHL, simply by virtue of the style of play, ice surface, etc. Not to mention the fact that the offensive games of Cola and White are much more pronounced IMO then Vorobiev.
Not sure about agreeing on making the jump from AHL or RSL, because I do not support that a prospects potential is measured on how quickly he makes the jump but rather the NHL success he has once he has made it .. A players own abilities should not be measured by the league in which he plays, however I agree that it makes the projection of the person doing the judging a little more difficult because of the difference in surroundings.

Mess is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 03:32 PM
  #41
RussianProspects
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
My thoughts on Toronto’s Russian prospects:

1. Dmitri Vorobiev – put together a very solid season. Best defenseman on the U20 national team. Could make an argument that Megalinsky and Belov were up there too, but neither one logged nearly as many minutes as Vorobiev. God regular minutes with Lada and was one of the club’s go to guys. Loves to hit and play physical hockey. I asked him about it once and his eyes lit up. I think he was an utter steal that late in the draft. Keep in mind, also, that Lada won the silver in the RSL, losing in the finals to Dynamo. Vorobiev logged regular minutes in the playoffs too. Good skater – can keep up with action even on the smaller rink against the US in the U20s. Good offensive talent – did not hesitate to get into the zone and mix it up.
RANK – I would say 5th or 6th place.

2. Maxim Semenov - a great pick up for Toronto. Top two defenseman with Lada. Ahead of Kondratiev and Vorobiev too. I put him behind Vorobiev though since his upside is a bit lower and he is older (’84). Unfortunately, you won’t see him on Russia’s national team since he is Kazakh, but who knows, maybe he’ll make the Kazakh team if they ever get their act together. A very good skater, with a good offensive upside. Sees the ice well.
RANK: I would say 11th or 12th.

3. Konstantin Volkov – He started the season with Lada Togliatti, but was then loaned to Metallurg Novokuznetsk. He didn’t really get to see much Super League ice time, with the exception of the one game with Lada, which didn’t mean anything and he got very few minutes. I would say he is very raw, but has a lot of potential and despite not playing, spent a lot of time practicing with the Super League clubs. Judging by potential, he is a top 20 guy, but his accomplishments don’t yet show it. But give him time, he is only a late ’85 born, so still needs time to find himself a situation in Russia where he could effectively develop.
RANK: 16-17th

4. Alexander Shinkar – This guy is a bit of a mystery. While I respect what he accomplished this year without any support from the coaching staff, I still don’t think he is a great prospect. He is talented, but at the same time, his upside is not very high. At this point he scores from the third or fourth line, and it would be great if he could find a team that trusts him with a top two spot and see how he could handle the minutes and the pressure. Judging by accomplishments, he should be higher, but judging by ability, he is right around the bottom of the 20.
RANK: 19-20th

RussianProspects is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 04:28 PM
  #42
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianProspects
My thoughts on Toronto’s Russian prospects:

1. Dmitri Vorobiev – put together a very solid season. Best defenseman on the U20 national team. Could make an argument that Megalinsky and Belov were up there too, but neither one logged nearly as many minutes as Vorobiev. God regular minutes with Lada and was one of the club’s go to guys. Loves to hit and play physical hockey. I asked him about it once and his eyes lit up. I think he was an utter steal that late in the draft. Keep in mind, also, that Lada won the silver in the RSL, losing in the finals to Dynamo. Vorobiev logged regular minutes in the playoffs too. Good skater – can keep up with action even on the smaller rink against the US in the U20s. Good offensive talent – did not hesitate to get into the zone and mix it up.
RANK – I would say 5th or 6th place.

2. Maxim Semenov - a great pick up for Toronto. Top two defenseman with Lada. Ahead of Kondratiev and Vorobiev too. I put him behind Vorobiev though since his upside is a bit lower and he is older (’84). Unfortunately, you won’t see him on Russia’s national team since he is Kazakh, but who knows, maybe he’ll make the Kazakh team if they ever get their act together. A very good skater, with a good offensive upside. Sees the ice well.
RANK: I would say 11th or 12th.

3. Konstantin Volkov – He started the season with Lada Togliatti, but was then loaned to Metallurg Novokuznetsk. He didn’t really get to see much Super League ice time, with the exception of the one game with Lada, which didn’t mean anything and he got very few minutes. I would say he is very raw, but has a lot of potential and despite not playing, spent a lot of time practicing with the Super League clubs. Judging by potential, he is a top 20 guy, but his accomplishments don’t yet show it. But give him time, he is only a late ’85 born, so still needs time to find himself a situation in Russia where he could effectively develop.
RANK: 16-17th

4. Alexander Shinkar – This guy is a bit of a mystery. While I respect what he accomplished this year without any support from the coaching staff, I still don’t think he is a great prospect. He is talented, but at the same time, his upside is not very high. At this point he scores from the third or fourth line, and it would be great if he could find a team that trusts him with a top two spot and see how he could handle the minutes and the pressure. Judging by accomplishments, he should be higher, but judging by ability, he is right around the bottom of the 20.
RANK: 19-20th
Thank you very much .. That was very educational

Finding info in English and following progress other then stats is difficult ..
Greatly appreciated

Mess is offline  
Old
05-11-2005, 08:30 AM
  #43
RussianProspects
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
You are welcome. We have tons of info like this on RussianProspects. Really, it's a matter of you telling us what to publish and what you would like to see. You'd be surprised how responsive we are to requests and questions. A good location to publish questions for RP is the RP Message Board. For example, currently we have a profile of Semenov in the pipeline.

RussianProspects is offline  
Old
05-11-2005, 09:07 AM
  #44
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianProspects
My thoughts on Toronto’s Russian prospects:

1. Dmitri Vorobiev – put together a very solid season. Best defenseman on the U20 national team. Could make an argument that Megalinsky and Belov were up there too, but neither one logged nearly as many minutes as Vorobiev. God regular minutes with Lada and was one of the club’s go to guys. Loves to hit and play physical hockey. I asked him about it once and his eyes lit up. I think he was an utter steal that late in the draft. Keep in mind, also, that Lada won the silver in the RSL, losing in the finals to Dynamo. Vorobiev logged regular minutes in the playoffs too. Good skater – can keep up with action even on the smaller rink against the US in the U20s. Good offensive talent – did not hesitate to get into the zone and mix it up.
RANK – I would say 5th or 6th place.

2. Maxim Semenov - a great pick up for Toronto. Top two defenseman with Lada. Ahead of Kondratiev and Vorobiev too. I put him behind Vorobiev though since his upside is a bit lower and he is older (’84). Unfortunately, you won’t see him on Russia’s national team since he is Kazakh, but who knows, maybe he’ll make the Kazakh team if they ever get their act together. A very good skater, with a good offensive upside. Sees the ice well.
RANK: I would say 11th or 12th.

3. Konstantin Volkov – He started the season with Lada Togliatti, but was then loaned to Metallurg Novokuznetsk. He didn’t really get to see much Super League ice time, with the exception of the one game with Lada, which didn’t mean anything and he got very few minutes. I would say he is very raw, but has a lot of potential and despite not playing, spent a lot of time practicing with the Super League clubs. Judging by potential, he is a top 20 guy, but his accomplishments don’t yet show it. But give him time, he is only a late ’85 born, so still needs time to find himself a situation in Russia where he could effectively develop.
RANK: 16-17th

4. Alexander Shinkar – This guy is a bit of a mystery. While I respect what he accomplished this year without any support from the coaching staff, I still don’t think he is a great prospect. He is talented, but at the same time, his upside is not very high. At this point he scores from the third or fourth line, and it would be great if he could find a team that trusts him with a top two spot and see how he could handle the minutes and the pressure. Judging by accomplishments, he should be higher, but judging by ability, he is right around the bottom of the 20.
RANK: 19-20th
Thanks. Semenov and Vorobiev sound like real finds, and nice to hear something positive about Volkov.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
05-11-2005, 10:39 AM
  #45
cleduc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianProspects
My thoughts on Toronto’s Russian prospects:
Great post. Thanks.

cleduc is offline  
Old
05-11-2005, 11:38 AM
  #46
Pappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Why do you keep coming back here?

Serious question. You obviously aren't a Leaf fan, so what is the attraction? Do you get off on predicting misery for the team? What is it?
Young Man I've been a Leaf season ticket holder for almost 30 years, when I was young and stupid I took vacations around Newmarket and Leaf games so I could spend a week at a time watching the Leafs and their farm team, I went to many drafts starting in 81 when they took Jim Benning, even with Ballard as the owner every year I would get pumped up and think the Leafs would be better, I went to junior games to see Leafs prospects.

After going to the 89 draft when they picked Thornton, Pearson, and Bancroft, I made the trip to Kitchener to see all three play, I couldn't believe it they were terrible Pearson couldn't even skate at the OHL level, Bancroft he was just ordinary at the OHL level, and Thornton who was big but certainly not a dominating player, I then watched them in Windsor a few times and couldn't believe they could have made such mistakes, I knew then the Leafs scouting was a joke. I knew an ex NHL'er who scouted for New Jersey so I would get his input on the Leafs drafts, every year I was pumped after the draft thinking the Leafs might have gotten an impact player, so I would visit him to see what his thoughts were, every year he would just shake his head and say I can't figure out how they took that guy, ex. Convery, Ware, he said flat out they will never make it, even then I would say to myself maybe's he's wrong but unfortunatly he never was, to look at New Jersey's drafts vs the Leafs obviously he knew and I did too but I always wanted to hope he was wrong.

So after watching Quinn spend his way to respectability but ignore the scouting staff for years I knew it was only a matter of time before we would be in the soup again, that time has come especially after the shortsighted trades that Quinn and Ferguson made, If we are not allowed to spend twice as much or the owners won't pay the luxury tax the rebuilding process will be long and painfull. As for being a Leaf fan I've spent thousands of dollars over the years for the right to be one, and after 30 years I'd say I got my monies worth perhaps 6 times, but like the Leaf sheep I am I just keep forking it over because I'm addicted to mediocre hockey, I mean come on when you look at the Flyers who finish ahead of us almost every year and they have players like Carter Richards, Umberger, and Pitkannen in the bank and we have Carlo Steen, and Wellwood I just can't swallow the company line, I did it for years but the taste was just too bitter, so thats why I'm mad as Hell and I'm going to keep on taking it some more. When they do something positive I'll be the first to congratulate them. You might say I'm like a Senator my purpose is to provide a Sober Second Look. Go Leafs Go!

Pappy is offline  
Old
05-11-2005, 11:42 AM
  #47
bingo_vodun
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Thanks. Semenov and Vorobiev sound like real finds, and nice to hear something positive about Volkov.
I'm still afraid that we over-rank our prospects. This leads many fans to belive that we'll win a cup without a big change. it is what is called truth, concrete, something solid, something will no room for error, it is understanding both of each thing.

so in all my writing I am saying stop thinking our prospects are better then they are, because most only get half way. Fear stops us from learning the other side of things, because learning reality hurts. So if I can equate all things in my life with a simple 1 + 1 then I must have a sold, concrete, or error free understanding, correct?

bingo_vodun is offline  
Old
05-11-2005, 12:15 PM
  #48
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
You might say I'm like a Senator my purpose is to provide a Sober Second Look.
You are the designated second guesser, in other words.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
05-11-2005, 12:59 PM
  #49
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
Young Man I've been a Leaf season ticket holder for almost 30 years, when I was young and stupid I took vacations around Newmarket and Leaf games so I could spend a week at a time watching the Leafs and their farm team, I went to many drafts starting in 81 when they took Jim Benning, even with Ballard as the owner every year I would get pumped up and think the Leafs would be better, I went to junior games to see Leafs prospects.

After going to the 89 draft when they picked Thornton, Pearson, and Bancroft, I made the trip to Kitchener to see all three play, I couldn't believe it they were terrible Pearson couldn't even skate at the OHL level, Bancroft he was just ordinary at the OHL level, and Thornton who was big but certainly not a dominating player, I then watched them in Windsor a few times and couldn't believe they could have made such mistakes, I knew then the Leafs scouting was a joke. I knew an ex NHL'er who scouted for New Jersey so I would get his input on the Leafs drafts, every year I was pumped after the draft thinking the Leafs might have gotten an impact player, so I would visit him to see what his thoughts were, every year he would just shake his head and say I can't figure out how they took that guy, ex. Convery, Ware, he said flat out they will never make it, even then I would say to myself maybe's he's wrong but unfortunatly he never was, to look at New Jersey's drafts vs the Leafs obviously he knew and I did too but I always wanted to hope he was wrong.

So after watching Quinn spend his way to respectability but ignore the scouting staff for years I knew it was only a matter of time before we would be in the soup again, that time has come especially after the shortsighted trades that Quinn and Ferguson made, If we are not allowed to spend twice as much or the owners won't pay the luxury tax the rebuilding process will be long and painfull. As for being a Leaf fan I've spent thousands of dollars over the years for the right to be one, and after 30 years I'd say I got my monies worth perhaps 6 times, but like the Leaf sheep I am I just keep forking it over because I'm addicted to mediocre hockey, I mean come on when you look at the Flyers who finish ahead of us almost every year and they have players like Carter Richards, Umberger, and Pitkannen in the bank and we have Carlo Steen, and Wellwood I just can't swallow the company line, I did it for years but the taste was just too bitter, so thats why I'm mad as Hell and I'm going to keep on taking it some more. When they do something positive I'll be the first to congratulate them. You might say I'm like a Senator my purpose is to provide a Sober Second Look. Go Leafs Go!
So really you've been second-guessing the team for decades, patting yourself on the back at every single thing that turned out wrong. Whatever floats your boat, Keon. I hope you've enjoyed yourself! I would rather that your season tickets be held by somebody who deserves them more, like a real fan of the Maple Leafs. Why did you change your mind about selling them, by the way? Nothing will ever change for the Leafs, so why did you keep your seats, Red? Or did you just make a fuss to try and get some attention?

p.s. a "Sober Second Look" does not mean everything that can possibly be painted negatively, is. People who are negative for the sake of being negative ALWAYS excuse their behaviour by claiming to be objective or realistic, something I've always found quite funny.

Anyway, after all that, you didn't even answer my question. What is your point in coming here? All you do with your negative comments is piss people off. If that is your motivation that's one thing, but you won't even admit it.

Your crude tactic of saying "he won't make it" about every prospect is a good strategy to make yourself look smart, because more often than not you'll be right --the odds of making the NHL are typically slim. But you're not fooling anybody into thinking you know the game or know a bad prospect from a good one, because you don't.

I don't care if you've been watching the game 50 years. I've been posting for a long time and I've never seen you say anything worth a damn when it comes to evaluating players. If it's a Leaf guy he sucks and won't make it, if it's anybody else he's automatically better.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
05-11-2005, 01:36 PM
  #50
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
I knew an ex NHL'er who scouted for New Jersey so I would get his input on the Leafs drafts, every year I was pumped after the draft thinking the Leafs might have gotten an impact player, so I would visit him to see what his thoughts were, every year he would just shake his head and say I can't figure out how they took that guy, ex. Convery, Ware, he said flat out they will never make it, even then I would say to myself maybe's he's wrong but unfortunatly he never was, to look at New Jersey's drafts vs the Leafs obviously he knew and I did too but I always wanted to hope he was wrong.
So did your scouting friend own up to all the errors the Devils make in regards to their busts?

The majority of Devils' picks make the NHL?

ULF_55 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.