HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Thread Part 2: Bark to the Future

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2013, 09:27 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
A signed Malkin gets the same or more in a trade than Weber. Think HUGE package. Unsigned its hard to know- HUGE risk of losing him would dampen the enthusiasm.

Old
06-08-2013, 09:36 PM
WartracePred

Why give so much for Malkin? I know he's about as good as it gets for a forward. But giving up Willy, our #4 pick, and another solid player is gutting the team. The 2 best players in the game, playing on the same line were just swept by the Bruins because Boston plays a team oriented style.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Why give so much for Malkin? I know he's about as good as it gets for a forward. But giving up Willy, our #4 pick, and another solid player is gutting the team. The 2 best players in the game, playing on the same line were just swept by the Bruins because Boston plays a team oriented style.
Yep agree.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
How is trading 2 roster players for 1 roster player gutting the team?

Old
06-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
We don't need Saku...
While I agree Nashville is better off taking Barkov/Lindholm/whomever than signing Saku Koivu I think it is quite bad underestimation of Koivu's worth if you think that signing him would be a bad decision. Since 2002 he would have been 1st or 2nd line center for Nashville outside the 2011-2012 season. And 2001-2002 he wouldn't have been mainly because he was battling cancer. And even if Koivu is only a 40-50 point third line center now, signing Koivu would make any NHL team better and having him on the team would take some pressure off the newly drafted center prospect.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:49 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
While I agree Nashville is better off taking Barkov/Lindholm/whomever than signing Saku Koivu I think it is quite bad underestimation of Koivu's worth if you think that signing him would be a bad decision. Since 2002 he would have been 1st or 2nd line center for Nashville outside the 2011-2012 season. And 2001-2002 he wouldn't have been mainly because he was battling cancer. And even if Koivu is only a 40-50 point third line center now, signing Koivu would make any NHL team better and having him on the team would take some pressure off the newly drafted center prospect.
It was no knock on Koivu but we don't need another 3rd line center. We need a top 6 center.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Don't want Malkin. Unsigned, he is very unlikely to stay here for more than a year; signed, you're looking at a monstrous package to even be in the conversation. Agree with the "team" comments from Wartrace. It's fun to think of all the trade options that the #4 pick opens the door to, but we develop well and I think we stay the course and draft Barkov or Nichushkin is the rumor mill is correct. Still would be surprised if we did take Nich.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:57 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Don't want Malkin. Unsigned, he is very unlikely to stay here for more than a year; signed, you're looking at a monstrous package to even be in the conversation. Agree with the "team" comments from Wartrace. It's fun to think of all the trade options that the #4 pick opens the door to, but we develop well and I think we stay the course and draft Barkov or Nichushkin is the rumor mill is correct. Still would be surprised if we did take Nich.
The post says we would only make a deal for malkin if we could negotiate a long term contract before trading for him.

Old
06-09-2013, 04:50 PM
PFL615

If Nashville stands a chance at Malkin it will be unsigned and hope we can sign him long term. Ellis + 2014 1st is a good start.

Old
06-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
If Nashville stands a chance at Malkin it will be unsigned and hope we can sign him long term. Ellis + 2014 1st is a good start.
I'm sure they want Josi or Wilson + 2013 1st to start.

I'd rather not trade a whole bunch for Malkin. He's a great player, but he's a luxury. While our centers aren't the best scorers in the league I'd rather have Legwand/Fisher/Spaling and Weber-Josi then Malkin/Legwand/Fisher and have to look for a top pairing defenseman to go with the top 4 defenseman we are currently missing.

Old
06-09-2013, 05:04 PM
PFL615

Malkin is good but Nashville never makes a dumb move like that for a possible rental.
There is a reason Nashville is normally in the playoffs and not picking in the top 5 an absurd number of times.

Old
06-09-2013, 05:18 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
For who? Nashville sure but Shero would laugh at Poile and then hang up, call the other 28 GM's and let them have a good laugh as well. The second best player in the world and we're offering a pick in next years draft and an unproven defenseman? Even as a deadline deal that would be a joke of an offer. Remember, Fisher and Gaustad both were traded for 1st rounders. And there is no way Poile is going to trade for a guy like Malkin unless he knows he's got him locked up long term and if he does, the price goes up significantly. You're realistically looking at 4th overall, Wilson, 1st rounder in 2014 and someone like Ekholm, Beck or Bourque included in the deal.

Old
06-09-2013, 05:44 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
For who? Nashville sure but Shero would laugh at Poile and then hang up, call the other 28 GM's and let them have a good laugh as well. The second best player in the world and we're offering a pick in next years draft and an unproven defenseman? Even as a deadline deal that would be a joke of an offer. Remember, Fisher and Gaustad both were traded for 1st rounders. And there is no way Poile is going to trade for a guy like Malkin unless he knows he's got him locked up long term and if he does, the price goes up significantly. You're realistically looking at 4th overall, Wilson, 1st rounder in 2014 and someone like Ekholm, Beck or Bourque included in the deal.
All that for possibly 1 year of Malkin. You would have to be one dumb sob to do that.

Old
06-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
All that for possibly 1 year of Malkin. You would have to be one dumb sob to do that.
Just because you think Ellis+'a 1st is a fair offer for he preds I think u don't realize there is no chance I'm hell Shero takes that. Other teams will out bid that. That's why your offer looks so bad. To get him would take an offer like posted above.

Old
06-09-2013, 07:45 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
You know how upset we get with poor offers for Weber, go to the Pitts boards and see what they think of your offer.

Old
06-09-2013, 07:56 PM
PFL615

I really don't care what they think. It's the center of a deal i would offer and would add but not over due it.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:55 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
there is no way in hades Poile trades for an unextended Malkin, regardless of the price.

Malkin for one year and an uncertain future is the kind of deal you make when you think next year is your last shot at the Cup. For a team like San Jose or maybe the Capitals or even Vancouver you could see it. (ie teams whose window is clearly closing)

We are clearly not in that situation.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Yes, other teams would kill that offer, because the teams that will pursue and unextended Malkin - if he is even available - will be teams that think they have a legitimate shot at re-signing him. If Malkin would sign here long term, it's worth Wilson+#4+ IMO, but losing that package for a year of him is the kind of move that could set this franchise back 5 years.

Yes, that offer would get topped, but that doesn't mean we should match the other ones.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:13 PM
maplepred

Quote:
It was said if poile could negotiate him to long term deal. But even if it was for just one year of malkin, it's worth a lot more than Ellis and a first, othe teams would crush that offer,

Maybe the pride is too high and people are right, he isn't what we need based on what would be paid to get him. But damn would it be nice seeing him in gold!

Old
06-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

My gut is sensing that Malkin is the one staying & Letang is the one who will be gone

Old
06-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Barkov may well be the pick. But just remember there is question on his skating ability. Now many play that down but in Trotz system it will be important getting back on D. And if Barkov is the one taken there will be much gnashing of teeth and turmoil among the fanbase when Barks is benched or sent to the Admirals. And another point not considered here that will influence his skating is his age at 17 6'2 and 215 he is a monster but he may well grow another couple inches and gain 20 to 30 pounds. His speed or skating will not improve as he fills out. No doubt he would be able to grind with the best of them but the system now used here hes gonna take heat.
Craig Button rated all Barkov attributes and the only one he didn't give a 5/5 on was skating. It wasn't a 2/5 or 3/5. It was a 4/5. If that is the only attribute that isn't perfect but is still very strong I'll be super happy with him in a Preds uniform.

The one thing that stuck out to me on the scouting of barkov was while his skating may not be elite, his position and ice IQ more than makes up for it. At first glance some scouts reported him being a little lax and lazy but after watching him more they relalised he wasn't skating all over the place like a mad man because he read the game so well he was skating to the right areas faster than most elite level skaters.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:55 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Craig Button rated all Barkov attributes and the only one he didn't give a 5/5 on was skating. It wasn't a 2/5 or 3/5. It was a 4/5. If that is the only attribute that isn't perfect but is still very strong I'll be super happy with him in a Preds uniform.

The one thing that stuck out to me on the scouting of barkov was while his skating may not be elite, his position and ice IQ more than makes up for it. At first glance some scouts reported him being a little lax and lazy but after watching him more they relalised he wasn't skating all over the place like a mad man because he read the game so well he was skating to the right areas faster than most elite level skaters.
Really, what's not to like about barkovs game?! The kid can do it all, would be #1 overall next year if he was born month later. I really don't see how mackinnon is really rated any higher than barkov, they can both so it all, but barkov has way better size than Mack.

Either way, if we trade up for mackinnon I will be happy and if we stay out with barkov I am more than happy as well. I would rather keep assets of trading up and just draft our future #1 centre in barks!

Old
06-10-2013, 09:05 AM
iKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Really, what's not to like about barkovs game?! The kid can do it all, would be #1 overall next year if he was born month later. I really don't see how mackinnon is really rated any higher than barkov, they can both so it all, but barkov has way better size than Mack.

Either way, if we trade up for mackinnon I will be happy and if we stay out with barkov I am more than happy as well. I would rather keep assets of trading up and just draft our future #1 centre in barks!
Because Mackinnon is Canadian..I really really really really hope we end up with Barkov! Only 20 more days to go!!

Old
06-10-2013, 09:14 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Just came home to a fresh Red Line Report. Top 5 (no huge suprise):

1) Jones
2) Drouin
3) Mac
4) Barkov
5) Nish

I'll provide Barkov's writeup later when I have some time. Let me know if there's anyone else you'd like me to show.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Filip Forceberg

Can we create a separate thread for the Malkin talk and get back to discussing the draft? I know the discussion involves trading our pick this year, but the conversation has gotten really sidetracked.

Closed Thread