HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Thread Part 2: Bark to the Future

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 05:50 AM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Just an example, I'd rather keep the pick and draft a top 5 prospect then move down to the next tier and pick up a 2nd or whatever.

Worst case scenario out of the four would be Jones, IMO, and even then we draft him and ship him out for a great return or have a great top four for a decade win-win.
definitely a good problem to have but it would still SUUUUUUUUUCK to not come out of this draft with a stud forward

Old
06-19-2013, 06:56 AM
glenngineer
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
definitely a good problem to have but it would still SUUUUUUUUUCK to not come out of this draft with a stud forward
We have two glaring needs. A defenseman to pair with Klein and elite talent up front. Forsberg looks like he can fill in some of that. Obviously we need some more talent up front. If we get Jones, we have two pairs of D that will be pretty good for us for a long time and we can fill out our talent up front via trade or free agency. If we look at Jones as a trading piece, we can land an elite forward in a trade for him or a few pieces like a top 6 and a top 4 defenseman more than likely. If Jones is gone then we get a stud forward. I can't see Colorado, Florida AND Tampa all passing on Jones when they all need help on the back end. No reason for Colorado to draft Barkov as they already have a lot of depth at center and unless they are going to make a ton of moves, the draft Jones and move forward with their talent up front.

A little history with Colorado/Quebec. At one point at center they had Sakic, Forsberg, Sundin and Nolan. They traded Sundin and Nolan over time to land valuable pieces for their Cup runs in the late 90's. Unless they make those sort of shrewd trades with the three centers they already have and Barkov, if they choose to add him, it's pointless to draft him. I mean other than Johnson, who do they have on the back end? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head and I know rosters pretty well.

The other possibility is if Poile feels that he wants one of the top forwards, he makes a trade to move up to grab one of them and gives up a prospect or two mixed with draft picks. I just don't see Poile moving down at all, only moving up. Then again, the only way he moves down is if he can pick up a second pair defenseman and still be able to land Lindholm or Monahan. I don't think that's the right move. I think you go for the elite talent and hope it pans out as opposed to going for a top 6 talent and a second pairing defenseman.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:07 AM
PFL615

We definitely need to pick up a center. I would do what it takes and overpay some to get Mac or Bark. I hope Poile and staff feel the same.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:15 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
We definitely need to pick up a center. I would do what it takes and overpay some to get Mac or Bark. I hope Poile and staff feel the same.
I agree 100%

Getting jones would suck! We would be just like before with Ryan suter, so much defense and can't do anything in playoffs cuz nobody can score.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:24 AM
glenngineer
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I agree 100%

Getting jones would suck! We would be just like before with Ryan suter, so much defense and can't do anything in playoffs cuz nobody can score.
Then again, a team full of offense and no defense doesn't do so well either. 2 goals in 4 games for Pittsburgh. There is a fine line the two.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Then again, a team full of offense and no defense doesn't do so well either. 2 goals in 4 games for Pittsburgh. There is a fine line the two.
The balance on this team isn't there though. To contend for the cup you need it. We have a Stud D-man and a stud goalie. Now we need a scorer we can count on to smooth out the scoring on this team. When picking in the top 10 of most drafts you are almost always better off picking a forward. D-men can be found in later rounds that can fill the hole we have right now down the road.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:38 AM
PFL615

In my opinion Josi has fit right in for Suter. We have two star dmen and star goaltender.
We absolutely HAVE a desperate need at center. Barkov or Mac imo make this team A LOT better. You finally move Fisher to a line he belongs on and move Legwand to wing.

Centers.
Line 1. Wilson
Line 2. Barkov/Mac
Line 3. Fisher
Line 4. Goose

Old
06-19-2013, 07:43 AM
glenngineer
HF Partner

I know we need a forward with dynamic ability. Two of them would be great. If Jones was there we'd have the ability to move him for a player that could fill that role. It may not be this year but we'd have a huge chip in the trading market. The other possibility is if Jones pans out the way he's projected, it would also afford us the luxury of moving Weber if we so choose. And trust me, we'd get what we wanted in a deal for Weber so while drafting Jones doesn't seem sexy or complete the team, it gives us options down the road.

What happens though if a few of our prospects turn into good if not great top 6 players? Then we are set on D and have pretty decent depth up front.

And don't take my position on this as a call not to draft a top notch forward, I'm all for it but if we can't land one of the top 3, it's not the end of the world if we draft Jones.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:14 AM
RaiderDoug

I don't buy for one second that Colorado isn't going to draft Jones.

But, if Jones is there at 4 (and the top 3 forwards are gone), you have to take him. In developmental sports like Hockey (and baseball), there's never a justification for not taking the BPA.

This isn't the NFL/NBA where you just insert your draft pick to a major role on the team next year to plug a hole. You're drafting an 18 year old kid who might not hit his prime for a half decade. There's no telling what the team will look like then, or what the needs might be (how many concussions does Shea Weber have on his record?- Two?).

Not to mention the trade possibilities, or the fact that a budget team like ours (despite the rhetoric, i'll see us as a cap team only when it actually happens), might need to let someone go for a cheaper alternative.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:26 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I don't buy for one second that Colorado isn't going to draft Jones.

But, if Jones is there at 4 (and the top 3 forwards are gone), you have to take him. In developmental sports like Hockey (and baseball), there's never a justification for not taking the BPA.
100% how I feel

Old
06-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Top 6 Spaling

TSN reports the Avalanche have no interest in Seth Jones at #1 overall. If that's true - and it easily could be a smokescreen and not true at all - it's easy enough to put that with the fact that they interviewed Barkov twice and speculate he could be their guy. Which means they will try to trade back to 2-3-4 and get him. Unless that deal is with us, we may not be getting Sasha.

Note: The Barkov stuff is my speculation. No source has officially said that, but it makes sense to me with them interviewing him twice, one of which was only scheduled after the first interview went well.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:49 AM
alexmanu

If Seth Jones fell to us I'd be ecstatic TBH. Yes, forward is a bigger need but he is clearly the best player in the draft IMO. He could've played in the NHL last season. Imagine Weber, Josi, Klein and Jones as our top 4.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:52 AM
PFL615

We haven't had a top 5 pick since Legwand. We don't just need a top 6 forward. We need a bonified number 1 line center or forward who can change the game on a nightly bases.
If im Poile i bring out all the stops to get Mac or Bark.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:57 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
TSN reports the Avalanche have no interest in Seth Jones at #1 overall. If that's true - and it easily could be a smokescreen and not true at all - it's easy enough to put that with the fact that they interviewed Barkov twice and speculate he could be their guy. Which means they will try to trade back to 2-3-4 and get him. Unless that deal is with us, we may not be getting

Note: The Barkov stuff is my speculation. No source has officially said that, but it makes sense to me with them interviewing him twice, one of which was only scheduled after the first interview went well.
Smells of BS to me. If true i would be concerned about why Colorado who needs D would pass on the BPA and Jones.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:58 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
If Seth Jones fell to us I'd be ecstatic TBH. Yes, forward is a bigger need but he is clearly the best player in the draft IMO. He could've played in the NHL last season. Imagine Weber, Josi, Klein and Jones as our top 4.
Is that much better than Suter-Weber-Klein-Josi or Suter-Weber-Timonen-Hamhuis? We've tried to all elite defense route. We need a threat up front.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:05 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Is that much better than Suter-Weber-Klein-Josi or Suter-Weber-Timonen-Hamhuis? We've tried to all elite defense route. We need a threat up front.
That's what i am screaming!

Old
06-19-2013, 09:10 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
The problem with that is even though that's what we need - that might not be what's available at #4.

If Barkov, MacK, Drouin are all gone, would you really pick Lindholm (more good than elite, IMHO), Monahan (Legwand II), or Nikushkin (bust written all over this guy) over Seth Jones? Not to mention, the guy can probably play on the 2nd pair right away, thereby filling a hole we'd need to fill in UFA. Those 2nd tier forwards are far less likely to make an impact for a few years.

Obviously, we don't know Poile's draft board - but many many people have Jones as a clear #1 best player in the draft. Drafting a lesser player simply because we already tried the elite defenseman route is a bad idea.

Worst case scenario (as long as Jones pans out) is we can trade Josi/Jones or even Weber a few years down the line for some major pieces.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Top 6 Spaling

If Jones is on the board at 4, we should trade it for Philly's 1st+Couturier. Getting something like Monahan/Lindholm/Shinkaruk+Couturier is still a great draft.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Jubal

Oh hell. Avalanche says they won't pick Jones. But a forward instead.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/6/1...che-seth-jones

Old
06-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Not only that, but they can't pass up on "The Three Forwards". Barkov is absolutely in play for them.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:38 AM
glenngineer
HF Partner

Which means to tell me maybe they've talked to Jones already and he either won't sign there or won't sign there for the money they're offering. Colorado is known to be a cheap franchise.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Jubal

I really hope it is a smokescreen and they're trying to get panicking teams to offer trades.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:41 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Not only that, but they can't pass up on "The Three Forwards". Barkov is absolutely in play for them.
I think you are undervaluing the russian kid. The comparison to Malkin makes some drool.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:41 AM
maplepred

If we don't get Mack drouin or bark, trade the pick and get Lindholm and something damn good, if nichushkin slips take him

Old
06-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think you are undervaluing the russian kid. The comparison to Malkin makes some drool.
From the article posted earlier:

Quote:
"If we do pick first, we're leaning more toward one of those three forwards.

"We feel those three forwards are just too good to pass up." - Joe Sakic

Alexander Barkov, Jonathan Drouin and Nathan MacKinnon are the candidates being considered, according to Dater.
Nich isn't on Colorado's radar apparently, for #1 at least.

Closed Thread