HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching Staff Discussion: Summer Rehab Edition

Old
05-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Sidgeni Malkby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Jesus that's insane.

Rookies and young kids are going to make mistakes. If HCDB wanted to coach a bunch of "mistake-free" veterans, he can **** off and coach the Red Wings then.
Imagine what would have happened if HCDB was coaching a rookie Malkin??

No....I can't even imagine .

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:20 AM
Bengui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
I'm pretty sure he's been quoted as saying that he was afraid to make a mistake because DB would bench him. I know Lovejoy and Tangradi both said that.
True. That's three rookies who all said the same thing after being traded to three different teams. And we all saw how he handled Bennett this season. Scary.

Bengui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:07 AM
heretik27

Wasn't much wrong with Tampa's former coach. His goalies and defense were completely lacking though. I'm just not sure you guys want to watch the boring style of hockey he had them play for a while...

heretik27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 06:32 AM
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengui View Post
True. That's three rookies who all said the same thing after being traded to three different teams. And we all saw how he handled Bennett this season. Scary.
And how he handled Despres... and Bortuzzo... and Jeffrey... and Vitale...

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:33 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Anybody down for Tippett? Contract coming up, could get a "system" goalie and with our D it would be lethal. I dunno if he will stay with them, i'm sure they will be moving pretty soon. Pens aren't moving anytime soon. Pens would also own the Flyers under Tippett. Would have to keep Murray.
I'm pretty sure just about everyone here would welcome Tippett outside of Crosby and Malkin.

As far as a "system" goalie.....WTF people? We already have (by far) a better goaltender than any hitting the market in Vokoun. He's already signed for next year, and has the 5th best 5v5 SV% of all NHL goaltenders over the last 4 years. You cannot do better than him unless you sign Thomas, Rask, or Lundquist. We already have the solution, he is already signed, and Shero is 1 year ahead of you in solving it. Vokoun probably has another 2 decent years in him as well after his current contract.

Before anyone mentions another goaltender, look at this list to see where your suggestion ranks out first.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rati...tA&sortdir=ASC

I know you guys are desperately wanting to get back into having crappy goaltending by wanting to sign goaltender X.or Y...but we already have a guy who would be in HOF talk if he ever played for a better than average team.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

I mentioned it before, but if Shero really does part ways with Fleury (which won't happen, sadly--he'll play out his contract here, at least), I'd like to see him go after Bernier from LA.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

We will need a goalie to share the load with Vokoun, at least. He's no longer a 60-game goalie. So, if he's good for 45-55 games next season then we still need somebody to help him out. There are plenty of options, depending on how much you wanna spend.

As for Dave Tippett, no thank you. The next coach has to cater to the strengths of our BEST players (for a change).

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Still don't know about Voukoun as a starter. At this stage of his career, I wouldn't give him more than 30 games, and that's pushing it.

Old
05-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Sidgeni Malkby

Agreed on the Vokoun...
People seem to forget that HE was the one who had decided to take pay cuts to win a cup. He tried with the Caps which didn't work...and now with us. He could have gone the Bryzgalov route and gotten his payday.

He's been pretty consistent in his career, and should have a few good year left.

The only reason we don't know if he can handle 1st string goalie duties anymore because he has delegated himself to backup roles. There are much older guys out there who can, so I don't see why Vokoun couldn't play 50-60 games a season.

Anyhow....cart before the horse here....
Let's first win game 5 .

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:58 AM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Yet another reason to can Bylsma. I guarantee you Bortuzzo, Despres, Bennett, Jeffrey, and Vitale feel the same way.
Lots of other coaches are scratching much better rookies these playoffs.

Freaking Tarasenko has been scratched for crying out loud.

Dougie Hamilton has been a scratch for the Bruins.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:01 AM
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post

I'm taking about the regular season. There is nothing we can do about it now since they don't have enough experience to play in the playoffs.

Also that point is irrelevant when we are dressing and have dressed inferior players.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

I'd give Vokoun a 1 year extension this summer so we have an insurance policy this year and next. Worse comes to worst you see what you have in Zatkoff and make a deadline move next spring.

Bernier is definitely worth an offer sheet, although it's not Shero's style. But he's at a salary now where it could be done without costing us too much. Offer 4 years, 3.5M hit... something like that. That's over a 100% raise (but reasonably affordable), and a good term. And he would know he'd be The Man from Day 1.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 05-09-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:05 AM
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I'd give Vokoun a 1 year extension this summer so we have an insurance policy this year and next. Worse comes to worst you see what you have in Zatkoff and make a deadline move next spring.

Bernier is definitely worth an offer sheet, although it's not Shero's style.
That's a great idea. I wonder where I heard that before.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
That's a great idea. I wonder where I heard that before.
Probably one of the posts I didn't take the time to read because I'm too lazy.

They don't call me and Neal "Lazy" for nothin'. I should probably infract myself for talking about goalies in the Coach thread.

I feel shame.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:17 AM
zero8771

vCash: 920
Even colin dunlap gets it:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/...jnyP0.facebook

zero8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:38 AM
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Probably one of the posts I didn't take the time to read because I'm too lazy.

They don't call me and Neal "Lazy" for nothin'. I should probably infract myself for talking about goalies in the Coach thread.

I feel shame.
It's ok I still love you.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post

Those are dumb decisions, too. The Blues need Tarasenko's offense to beat the Kings. They'll go down because they simply can't score enough.

Redden has been putting up points but has looked bad defensively. Hamilton would be a better option for the B's, but whatever.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:14 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
The bolded is where Bylsma's roster decisions come into play, though. Okay, adding Morrow and Murray didn't help the foot speed. So as a coach, what do you do to offset that? Play Kennedy and Vitale instead of Glass and Adams, and play Despres instead of Eaton.

You maximize the qualities Morrow and Murray bring by also minimizing their weaknesses by playing players who provide what they don't. Instead, Bylsma inserts guys who are redundant to Morrow and Murray, without offsetting their weaknesses.

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Cooke
Jokinen - Vitale - Kennedy

Despres - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Murray - Niskanen

... is a lot better than what Bylsma currently insists on dressing because it adds more speed to the 4th line and adds more mobility and puck movement to the top 4 defense.

Not to mention the fact it re-unites the best line in the NHL from last season, while adding a sniper to Crosby's wing (who also gets to play his natural RW side).

But no, Bylsma's arrogance is causing him to ice an inferior lineup than what he could be icing with regards to what pieces he's got available to him.
Well, Bylsma has made some blockbuster changes in store for tonight. First line will stay the same, hopefully less ineffective by divine will. Third line will stay the same, hopefully less slow because they down 10 gallons of Red Bull today. Fourth line looks like it will be Adams-Vitale-TK. BUT, the biggest change of all . . . Neal is now LW and Iginla is now RW with Malkin. Praise be the hockey Gods. All our problems are solved.

EDIT: Seriously, this is what we've got to show for that canceled practice yesterday. The fourth line is changed, and Neal/Iginla flip sides, as if that somehow solves anything. No line changes that might make a big difference. I shudder to think of what's coming in terms of tactical adjustments. Bylsma's idea of adjusting is to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardin087 View Post
Even colin dunlap gets it:
Man. I'm all for questioning the coach but that article is pathetic.

How does that ******* even have a job as a hockey reporter (radio or otherwise)? What a clueless, unprofessional dewshbag. "Mr. Disco"? "You're coaching for your job unless you make the Finals"?

Who the **** do you think you are, Dunlap? You're not the GM of the Pengiuns, you're a ****ing RADIO GUY. And you're talking trash to a man who has earned his way behind the bench of an NHL franchise, as part of an editorial (I guess CBS Pittsburgh deserves to be lumped in with all the other jackasses in Pittsburgh media for allowing such a hack-job editorial to be published under their banner)? There's cahones and then there's just idiocy.

I don't care how much Bylsma pisses us off (we can call him Disco because it's a free-for-all internet forum not a public letter to the coach), what that guy wrote is a disgrace to journalism, to CBS and to his employer. "Go curse Malkin out in Russian", he's "worn out his welcome with fans"? ****ing unbelievable a guy would have the gaul to write that. I guess he missed the part where he's scoring 2PPG and is no more guilty of making bad decisions than most of the other players on the team this series. Acting like a 6 year old? Only Dunlap, as far as I can tell.

This guy's bias against Russians is obvious and pathetic. No doubt if Crosby had been doing 2PPG and had some bad giveaways and penalties, he'd be talking about "who can blame the guy for losing his cool; he's got such heart!" So ****ing sick of the double-standard applied to N. American stars in certain parts of the country and especially in Canada. I hope Malkin never reads that POS or if he does I hope he laughs at it.

You want to speak for yourself Dunlap, fine... but don't ****ing speak for all of us as fans, you arrogant, halfwit dickbag. I would LOVE to see you say any of that "Mr. Disco" **** to Bylsma's face. Might be the first time ever we get to see a coach beat the crap out of a clueless reporter. Would be worth it.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 05-09-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old
05-09-2013, 11:06 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt
Advanced Stats

I was going to respond to that pathetic article (that has an obvious axe to grind) but I thank you for doing it much more eloquently than myself, CV. Kudos.

That guy has probably been waiting for years for Malkin to ***** something up (that isn't even the dagger in this series... by a long shot) so he could find an excuse to crap all over him.

Malkin has to be better. In the balance... he's been good. But he has to be better... everyone knows that -- I'm sure even Geno, himself. But that crap is way over the top.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Anyone but Bob McKenzie is worthy of Ilyn Payne's sword in CV's eyes. Can't say I disagree though.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Anyone but Bob McKenzie is worthy of Ilyn Payne's sword in CV's eyes. Can't say I disagree though.
And Jim Hughson... don't forget about Jim.

Seriosuly though I can occasionally give some credit to Yohe or Kovacevik or even Errey but I know an unpolished, trolling, hack-job editorial when I see one. It would be one thing if this guy knew his hockey and was respected for same outside of Pittsburgh, and he cut out the snarky "Mr. Disco" crap... then I could at least tolerate it as an opinion piece. But the way he did it was amateur in every way.

Can't abide that. This dude does not abide....

Old
05-09-2013, 11:26 AM
TheFlightlessBird

It makes my heart hurt to know that HCDB is wasting 12 by not putting him with 87.

TheFlightlessBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlightlessBird View Post
It makes my heart hurt to know that HCDB is wasting 12 by not putting him with 87.
Agreed. Years and years of wishing for a winger of Iginla's caliber on Sid's wing and Bylsma throws him on the opposite wing, on Geno's line. Solid.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Agreed. Years and years of wishing for a winger of Iginla's caliber on Sid's wing and Bylsma throws him on the opposite wing, on Geno's line. Solid.

When put that way, it screams of a script for a future comedy...or at the very least a blues song.