HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Report: Leafs talk to Crosby about AHL

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I really don't think the difference will be as great as you're suggesting. Certainly not where these would be make-or-break contracts in terms of cap space. You're still going to have bonuses for rookies; we know it'll be less but we don't know how much less as of yet.

We're still only talking about a relative handful of guys that are in this situation anyway...really it's the top 2003 picks that were signed that we're talking about. Not enough bodies to make this a major financial issue, IMO.

I also think that, assuming the Flyers and other teams with unsigned draftees do ultimately get away with not signing them last summer, the Flames will happily take the salary cap system as the greater good in this situation.
I guess that is true both ways though .. If only a handful of top picks are effected then why all the fuss?? .. Just set them free and problem solved .. No discrimination against former teams that signed players old CBA and/or against players themselves as their former teams decided they where not worth the money and so they have not court case opportunity for damages old to new CBA, and they have UFA status now ..

If I was a small market team owner like Calgary(Phaneuf), or Anaheim (Getzlaf, Corey Perry) or Florida (Anthony Stewart) and money and profitability meant everything then I would be pissed off if the NHL made special rules for others, particularly if its a big market team that has endless money to throw around foolishly.. Even more so if that team like Philly had no problem stealing away another teams 1st round prospect RJ Umbeger etc. and now is rewarded with time and special rules to protect its own players.

Old
05-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Huge differences in overall salary costs.

Difference could be 2-3 million per year per rookie, for 4 years.
Thats true I did the math a while back Carter to Phaneuf old to new CBA ..

With his signing bonus and if he wins the Calder or other award or meets various acheivable milestones Phaneuf can earn and will earn more money in year 1 than Carter will in his first 4 years of NHL play regardless if he wins the Calder, Conn Smythe and/or leads the leage is scoring ..

Also old CBA had 3 year entry level and new is suggesting 4 years .. That means the players signed under the old have 1 less year to get into real contract money after the entry is complete..

Current CBA talks have entry level contracts set at 850K base and 350K max (for all bonuses) .. That is Phaneuf base alone Old CBA ..

Old
05-09-2005, 03:22 PM
BuppY

I believe if you reach all of your bonsus requirements, you can earn up to 5 million a season.

Closed Thread