HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Questions for you fine folks

Old
05-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Mentallydull

vCash: 500
Questions for you fine folks

I just had a couple questions for you all but wasn't sure which thread to put it in (as it covers a variety of topics) so thought I'd throw it in here.

Firstly, I just want to say that prior to Winnipeg coming back, you're the only other Canadian team I've been able to stand so it's great to see you doing so well in the playoffs

Secondly, I hated that suspension on Gryba, thought it was a fine hit.

As for the questions:
Unfortunately I missed the game today but did Conacher do something in particular that seemed to raise the ire of the Canadiens? I was watching replays and it seemed like he was targeted specifically for some reason (2 elbows, slash, sucker punch).

Who is this Pageau kid? Has he been a highly rated prospect in the minors for you or is he more of a limited prospect who may/may not pan out but just had an amazing game?

Were there any indicators prior to the game today to indicate something like this was eventually going to happen?

Last question: I'll be honest and say I don't watch a whole lot of eastern games (almost none) but when I saw you all slot up against the Canadiens (who seemed to be flying), I thought you may be in trouble. I'm happy to be wrong but what do you think the main reason is you're winning these big games? It looked like Anderson stood on his head in the first game but is there anything else in particular?

Thanks for any answers and keep on winning, I'm rooting for you!

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:38 AM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
I just had a couple questions for you all but wasn't sure which thread to put it in (as it covers a variety of topics) so thought I'd throw it in here.

Firstly, I just want to say that prior to Winnipeg coming back, you're the only other Canadian team I've been able to stand so it's great to see you doing so well in the playoffs

As for the questions:
Unfortunately I missed the game today but did Conacher do something in particular that seemed to raise the ire of the Canadiens? I was watching replays and it seemed like he was targeted specifically for some reason (2 elbows, slash, sucker punch).

Who is this Pageau kid? Has he been a highly rated prospect in the minors for you or is he more of a limited prospect who may/may not pan out but just had an amazing game?

Were there any indicators prior to the game today to indicate something like this was eventually going to happen?

Last question: I'll be honest and say I don't watch a whole lot of eastern games (almost none) but when I saw you all slot up against the Canadiens (who seemed to be flying), I thought you may be in trouble. I'm happy to be wrong but what do you think the main reason is you're winning these big games? It looked like Anderson stood on his head in the first game but is there anything else in particular?

Him shutting down Sean Couturier so badly in the Q playoffs their draft year is the speculated reason the Sens passed on Couturier to pick Mika Zibanejad.

Our head scout was reportedly in love with him, and begged Brian Murray to pick him.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Him shutting down Sean Couturier so badly in the Q playoffs their draft year is the speculated reason the Sens passed on Couturier to pick Mika Zibanejad.

Our head scout was reportedly in love with him, and begged Brian Murray to pick him.
What's he projected to be? Shut-down 3rd/4th liner? 2 way player? Top 6 with defensive upside?

Old
05-06-2013, 12:39 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think our PK has been pretty good at limiting Montreal's ability to gain momentum.

Killed off a 5 min major and 5 on 3 with only 1GA in Game 1, killed a bunch of penalties early tonight.

05-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

Hey! =D

Conacher is a bit like Gallagher, in that he can be annoying for other teams to play against, partly because he is fast and it works, and partly because he can talk the trash pretty well too. The difference, of course, is that Conacher doesn't crosscheck goalies in the face or sucker punch people before they can take their gloves off.

Pageau wasn't a first round pick or anything. But the Sens needed a guy late in the season because of all our injuries and such. Our AHL coach (Luke Richardson) put for JG Pageau's name, and the team has kept in on since. Great call by Luke on that one. He know his guys well.

Lastly, the Habs are fast and skilled, but they are small, and to be honest, they are a bit dirty and rat-like. Our guys got motivated to fight back and play hard. We won game one because of Anderson, yes, but in game three, they got our boys REALLY motivated to hit back, partly because of Prust's classless comments about our coach (he called MacClean a "bug eyed, fat walrus"), and they are all going on about how Gryba's hit (which was clean) was dirty. The Sens wanted to get even. We beat them on the score sheet, then they tried to get physical, so we beat them with fists as well.

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:42 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
What's he projected to be? Shut-down 3rd/4th liner? 2 way player? Top 6 with defensive upside?
Claude Giroux with second line minutes.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:44 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Top six 2 way player. He has too much creativity and hockey IQ to be stuck on a 3rd or 4th line role.

He is already among one of our best defensive forwards and what he makes up for his height is his phenomenal skating and feisty gritty play and his 100% every shift.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:47 AM
Ed Wood

Quote:

As for the questions:

Conacher is our smallest player. That's all there is to it. Pretty sad really.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 12:59 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Pageau is crazy. The Sens were scouting Sean Couturier hard. We had a top pick in the draft. The Sens pass on Couturier based on his compete level in the playoffs, and in the fourth round draft a Gatineau kid (Sens are always high on locals...always). Getting more info, we learn he outplayed Couturier in the playoffs big time and was awesome.

His callup this season was unexpected. He didn't have a lot of points in the AHL, although he wasn't bad. We had Stone down there who was doing great and has already played some games with the big club. I don't think anyone was injured, but we were on a big losing streak late in the season. He comes into the game in Philadelphia, plays great and gets his first point in an Alfie ENG. Empty net, not impressive, right? It actually is. It shows MacLean trusted him enough to defend a one goal lead late in the game in his first NHL game. He also killed a penalty late in the game when it was tied 1-1. His second game he got his first NHL goal, a beauty deflection which turned out to be the GWG against Brodeur and the Devils.

His next big game was the season finale against Boston. Tied 2-2, a win was huge. If we lost in regulation, we play Pittsburgh. If we lost in overtime, we play Boston. If we win, we play Montreal. Boston was 4-0 against us this year. Pageau scores a clutch goal with three minutes left. Sens win, and lock up a seat against the Canadiens.

Kinda long, but for visitors wondering about Pageau, that's his story in the NHL so far. He's living the dream. Local kid, gets a hat trick in his first NHL home playoff game and gets his name chanted to the tune of the rivals chant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Was there anything signalling this would happen today? Ehhh, hard to say. You never expect a full brawl. Ever. They're pretty rare so it's pretty neat when it happens. But Prust did say that he hopes Gryba isn't suspended, implying he'd go after him (whether that's asking him to fight, cheapshotting him, jumping him, we don't know). The game got chippy. The Sens were throwing some nice hits and getting the hometown crowd going, and then a blowout started happening. Montreal has some meatheads on their team, and a brawl started. So I don't think anyone really expected a brawl to happen, but there was always a possibility of it getting very out of hand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown0 View Post
Hey! =D

Conacher is a bit like Gallagher, in that he can be annoying for other teams to play against, partly because he is fast and it works, and partly because he can talk the trash pretty well too. The difference, of course, is that Conacher doesn't crosscheck goalies in the face or sucker punch people before they can take their gloves off.

Pageau wasn't a first round pick or anything. But the Sens needed a guy late in the season because of all our injuries and such. Our AHL coach (Luke Richardson) put for JG Pageau's name, and the team has kept in on since. Great call by Luke on that one. He know his guys well.

Lastly, the Habs are fast and skilled, but they are small, and to be honest, they are a bit dirty and rat-like. Our guys got motivated to fight back and play hard. We won game one because of Anderson, yes, but in game three, they got our boys REALLY motivated to hit back, partly because of Prust's classless comments about our coach (he called MacClean a "bug eyed, fat walrus"), and they are all going on about how Gryba's hit (which was clean) was dirty. The Sens wanted to get even. We beat them on the score sheet, then they tried to get physical, so we beat them with fists as well.
Is there anything more satisfying than that? Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Conacher is our smallest player. That's all there is to it. Pretty sad really.
How has Conacher been playing for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Top six 2 way player. He has too much creativity and hockey IQ to be stuck on a 3rd or 4th line role.

He is already among one of our best defensive forwards and what he makes up for his height is his phenomenal skating and feisty gritty play and his 100% every shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Pageau is crazy. The Sens were scouting Sean Couturier hard. We had a top pick in the draft. The Sens pass on Couturier based on his compete level in the playoffs, and in the fourth round draft a Gatineau kid (Sens are always high on locals...always). Getting more info, we learn he outplayed Couturier in the playoffs big time and was awesome.

His callup this season was unexpected. He didn't have a lot of points in the AHL, although he wasn't bad. We had Stone down there who was doing great and has already played some games with the big club. I don't think anyone was injured, but we were on a big losing streak late in the season. He comes into the game in Philadelphia, plays great and gets his first point in an Alfie ENG. Empty net, not impressive, right? It actually is. It shows MacLean trusted him enough to defend a one goal lead late in the game in his first NHL game. He also killed a penalty late in the game when it was tied 1-1. His second game he got his first NHL goal, a beauty deflection which turned out to be the GWG against Brodeur and the Devils.

His next big game was the season finale against Boston. Tied 2-2, a win was huge. If we lost in regulation, we play Pittsburgh. If we lost in overtime, we play Boston. If we win, we play Montreal. Boston was 4-0 against us this year. Pageau scores a clutch goal with three minutes left. Sens win, and lock up a seat against the Canadiens.

Kinda long, but for visitors wondering about Pageau, that's his story in the NHL so far. He's living the dream. Local kid, gets a hat trick in his first NHL home playoff game and gets his name chanted to the tune of the rivals chant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Was there anything signalling this would happen today? Ehhh, hard to say. You never expect a full brawl. Ever. They're pretty rare so it's pretty neat when it happens. But Prust did say that he hopes Gryba isn't suspended, implying he'd go after him (whether that's asking him to fight, cheapshotting him, jumping him, we don't know). The game got chippy. The Sens were throwing some nice hits and getting the hometown crowd going, and then a blowout started happening. Montreal has some meatheads on their team, and a brawl started. So I don't think anyone really expected a brawl to happen, but there was always a possibility of it getting very out of hand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Awesome summation of Pageau, I appreciate it!

Fair enough point about the line brawl but sometimes you're not as surprised by it happening as you normally would due to elevated levels of "chippyness" through the series.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:25 AM
Topside

Conacher has been invisible when he's not getting attacked by Habs players. Not sure why they targeted him. I guess because he's small and they wouldn't get their ***** handed to them like they did when they went after actual tough guys.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:44 AM
Iconoclast
Get back

I have a question for the rest of you: I was unable to watch the game tonight but what exactly gave us the power to curbstomp the habs so awesomely? We struggled for a win in game 1 and took a tough loss game 2... And when I get off work and see 6-1 Sens? Wow. What happened?

Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Topside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
I have a question for the rest of you: I was unable to watch the game tonight but what exactly gave us the power to curbstomp the habs so awesomely? We struggled for a win in game 1 and took a tough loss game 2... And when I get off work and see 6-1 Sens? Wow. What happened?
It was close until Pageau sniped to make it 3-1. A pinching D (which is normal when you're down 2) led to a 3 on 1 which the Sens scored on. Then the Habs tried to be tough and act hard and got put in their place. After that they just ran around trying to cheapshot people and the Sens scored on the ensuing powerplays (of which there were many). So some outstanding personal effort by Pageau on his first two goals led to the unravelling of society on the Habs bench.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:07 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
I don't want to say it was all Pageau but offensively... it was all Pageau. He ignited the fire almost singlehandedly. This team has been so snake-bitten offensively that it's limited our ability in the offensive zone which lead us to watch our backs cause of a missed offensive chance being brought back the other way.

Pageau scored a beautiful goal on his first and sniped his second. After that goal, Sens relaxed so much and just took it to them when they started playing dirty.

A big hand has to go to Anderson because when it was 3-1 it seemed they gave up because they felt they couldn't get 2 past him. Especially that breakaway save on Gionta which could have made it 3-2.

In short, brilliant goals by Pageau and brilliant stops by Anderson lifted the weights out of everyone else' shoulders and they started dominating everywhere else.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:12 AM
Hutz

Quote:
The Sens came out with far more jump than game 2... They weren't afraid to get physical and that got under the habs skin... I think they also drew inspiration from a crowd that was far louder and more into the game than usual.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:24 AM
peter67

Home ice meant getting the last line change -- something I think MacLean used real well this year. Tonight, when MTL put out five goons (yes -- they did that), OTT did the same and we saw fireworks. We couldn't do that in Montreal.

peter67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 08:57 AM
sens2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter67 View Post
Home ice meant getting the last line change -- something I think MacLean used real well this year. Tonight, when MTL put out five goons (yes -- they did that), OTT did the same and we saw fireworks. We couldn't do that in Montreal.
Actually if you listen to Neil's postgame he says they're usually the line out there after they score a goal. Their job is to put the puck back deep and keep the forecheck going.
His best line was "and thats what we did right? .... heh I don't think the puck even left the neutral zone"

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote