HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL.com announces Calder Trophy Finalists

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 01:51 PM
clownquestionbro*

vCash: 500
quit whining about brodin or yakupov. gallagher is winning so them not being nominated would just help you feel less down on awards night.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Age played a factor in that decision.
Fair enough, but that's not why I brought it up. He made it sound like the leading rookie goal scorer is basically a guarantee to be nominated, but just last year that didn't happen.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Fataldogg

Huberdeau should win.

I have a feeling voters will penalize him for being on the worst team in the NHL, as if a rookie who leads all rookies in goals scored has any control over it.

He's a bright spot for Florida's future.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Easy: Brodin is overrated.
Yup, the defensive defenseman not nominated as a finalist is extremely overrated.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
Fair enough, but that's not why I brought it up. He made it sound like the leading rookie goal scorer is basically a guarantee to be nominated, but just last year that didn't happen.
Good point.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
How can anyone disagree with Bob McKenzie?
well a lot of people obviously did, because Brodin's not a nominee...errr, finalist.

I don't get it, I also don't watch MN hockey so I'm obviously missing the legend of Brodin. Based on hearsay on HF, he should be a finalist.

Wasn't Roman Josi also playing top pair minutes with Weber... how come there's no mention of him?

Old
05-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
He also wasn't tied for rookie points.
That's really not relevant. He brought up an incorrect stat to make it sound like Yakupov was screwed over, but the same thing happened last year.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:57 PM
SephF
Patreeky

Has there ever been a year where the leading rookie scorer didn't get a nomination for the calder? Has history been made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnacity View Post
quit whining about brodin or yakupov. gallagher is winning so them not being nominated would just help you feel less down on awards night.
Sucks for the player though, if you're nominated for the calder while on your ELC you get a nice bonus.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:57 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Germaine View Post
well a lot of people obviously did, because Brodin's not a nominee...errr, finalist.

I don't get it, I also don't watch MN hockey so I'm obviously missing the legend of Brodin. Based on hearsay on HF, he should be a finalist.

Wasn't Roman Josi also playing top pair minutes with Weber... how come there's no mention of him?
Because Brodin is that good. The people saying he deserves to win are people who have watched him play. When two rookies are playing in similar positions like Brodin and Josi, and one is getting recognition from major sources, and one isn't, it's because the one is playing phenomenally.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:58 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
But Matt Read wasn't nominated last year and he led rookies in goals.
It's just scoring points in general is what the streak was . Not since 50-51 has the leading scorer not been in top 3 for the Calder.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Red Alberks

Quote:

If you watched him, you would get it.

All you need to do is watch Brodin play pretty much just 1 shift and you wil see his impact. He plays like a 10 year vet, but the dude is 19 years old. Tremendous skater, amazing vision, elusiveness, great decision making, great break out passes, elite defense. I could go on and on with the things he is great at, and so could many others around here, if you need us to.

Without him, the Wild would not have made the playoffs. You will not find a Wild fan who disagrees with that.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Because Brodin is that good. The people saying he deserves to win are people who have watched him play. When two rookies are playing in similar positions like Brodin and Josi, and one is getting recognition from major sources, and one isn't, it's because the one is playing phenomenally.
If he is that good , then he should be a finalist for the award. I guess a lot of media aren't watching him because he didn't receive any major recognition compared to Huberdeau, Yak, Gally, I even heard more about Josi this season.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
It's just scoring points in general is what the streak was . Not since 50-51 has the leading scorer not been in top 3 for the Calder.
Ah, ok.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:02 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
If he is that good , then he should be a finalist for the award. I guess a lot of media aren't watching him because he didn't any recognition.
Precisely.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Inkling

Quote:
How can anyone disagree with Bob McKenzie?
Bobby Mac, Elliott Friedman...pretty much says it all.

It's a cliche, but the old "Eastern Conference" bias probably plays a role. The writers from the East probably know enough about the Hawks, being a high profile team, but probably don't follow the Wild much, if at all. No inter-conference games this year.

Old
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

I'm confused, are people saying that Josi should've been considered? Because he played 52 games last year...

Old
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
The leading scorer was in the top-3. One of the leading scorers wasn't. It's not like Yakupov outscored the other rookies by 10-15 points and wasn't a finalist. He outscored them by 4 (at most) and had 2 points on the next closest rookie, ending up in a tied with Huberdeau, who is a finalist.

Gallagher and Saad were both far more consistent than Yakupov and both are much better two-way players.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Power Forward

Quote:
Yup, the defensive defenseman not nominated as a finalist is extremely overrated.
Not by the media; by the people on this message board grieving the travesty that Brodin was not a finalist.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:06 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Gallagher and Saad were both far more consistent than Yakupov
This has already been debunked.

# of games that each nominated rookie had points in;
Yakupov - 25 games
Gallagher - 23 games
Saad - 21 games
Huberdeau - 20 games

Last edited by MessierII: 05-06-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old
05-06-2013, 02:09 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Not by the media; by the people on this message board grieving the travesty that Brodin was not a finalist.
How many games did you watch Brodin play this year? 0? .33?

Old
05-06-2013, 02:09 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
The leading scorer was in the top-3. One of the leading scorers wasn't. It's not like Yakupov outscored the other rookies by 10-15 points and wasn't a finalist. He outscored them by 4 (at most) and had 2 points on the next closest rookie, ending up in a tied with Huberdeau, who is a finalist.

Gallagher and Saad were both far more consistent than Yakupov and both are much better two-way players.
Scoring titles go to guy with most goals if points are tied. That's pretty standard and is taken into account with the streak.

I don't disagree with your other comments. Everyone was close this year. Also, many ballots were likely in before Yak took the rookie scoring lead. In a longer season one or 2 guys might have separated themselves from the pack more, but this is how it turned out.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Correct picks if you ask me. Huberdeau to win it.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Scoring titles go to guy with most goals. That's pretty standard and is taken into account with the streak.

I don't disagree with your other comments. Everyone was close this year. Also, many ballots were likely in before Yak took the rookie scoring lead. In a longer season one or 2 guys might have separated themselves from the pack more, but this is how it turned out.
Do you have a link to Calder trophy nominees throughout the history of the league? I wasn't able to find anything when checking nominees and I had to resort to Google searching each individual year.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:13 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Scoring titles go to guy with most goals if points are tied. That's pretty standard and is taken into account with the streak.

Point was, Yakupov tied for the scoring lead. It's not as if Yakupov stood alone atop the rookie scoring leaders.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Power Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
How many games did you watch Brodin play this year? 0? .33?
Zero.

Closed Thread