HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL.com announces Calder Trophy Finalists

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Regardless of not getting nominated,
You're merely the last of several people to say this, so forgive me if it seems like I'm solely picking on you.

The trophy finalists are not "nominees", and by the time the finalists are announced, the winner has already been chosen.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:43 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Saad doesn't deserve to be there because he plays with Toews but Brodin deserves the nomination even though he plays with Suter. Ok.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:44 PM
shogun99

No offence taken. I do know that tHe winner has already been chosen. The "nominees" are simply the top three. Regardless of me being an Oiler fan, it's pretty sad when the leading scorer isn't even top 3 in voting and will probably not even make the all rookie team.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Green Blob*

Saad? Huh?

Where is Brodin?

Old
05-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Regardless of not getting nominated, here are some things that the voters should have considered about Yakupov.

- Besides the obvious of leading all rookies in goals, tied for lead in points

- It was his 18/19 year old season, junior to NHL

- Named second star for the month of April, I do believe that no other rookie was a top 3 player of the month this season

- Tied for 10th in the NHL amongst RW's for goals scored

- Tied for 23rd in the NHL amongst RW's for points

- If Edmonton offered Yakupov for one of Huberdeau, Gallagher or Saad, that teams GM would personally piggy back Yakupov from Edmonton to Florida, Montreal or Chicago.
Where'd you get that from? NHL.com's 3 stars for April were Ovy, Elliot and Stepan. And aside from that, no, no rookie was a star of the month in any month.

Also, who is Brodin's usual linemate?

Old
05-06-2013, 11:44 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Would have been nice to ride the coattails of Toews instead of, well you know, Belanger or Horcoff.

If individual play is strictly looked at as the guiding factor, Yakupov blows Saad out of the water.
not that I dont think Yak deserves to be on here, but Yakupov has Hall, Eberle, and Hemsky/Gagner...

Both have plenty of offensive support

Old
05-07-2013, 12:09 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
not that I dont think Yak deserves to be on here, but Yakupov has Hall, Eberle, and Hemsky/Gagner...

Both have plenty of offensive support
By that logic why can't every other third liner out there take advantage of the fact that their top line is talented?

Old
05-07-2013, 12:15 AM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
By that logic why can't every other third liner out there take advantage of the fact that their top line is talented?
I was just stating that Yak has a cast of support just like Saad...

And to answer your question, those guys can take advantage of other teams easier because they get more favorable match-ups compared to the top lines.

Once again I'll say none of this reflects my opinion of Yakupov.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Hawks fan here saying I'd rather see the finalists be Huberdeau, Yakupov, and Brodin.

Both Saad and Gallagher had really good seasons but neither had the production that Yakupov did, as far as forwards go. I do think Gallagher is more worthy than Saad but neither should be there over Yakupov.

Brodin should have been on there easily as the last one. Don't know how or why he was snubbed. Been playing top-pairing minutes ever since he was recalled and played really well. I don't care if he's with Suter. Sure it helps, but your partner can only cover for you so much so Brodin has to be doing something right. He's not feeding off of Suter by any means. He's being helped by him but he certainly isn't a product of Suter at all. Put Suter with a guy like Brett Lebda and we'll see if Suter makes him an All-Star. Won't happen.

I think Huberdeau should get it though. Of all three forwards he was most productive and had the best season. Gallagher second and Saad third.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Maxxed Out

vCash: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I'm one of the first to point toward that bias but they picked Saad so it debunks that theory here.
Sure they did pick him, but he isn't going to win, all parts of big ugly plan

Old
05-07-2013, 12:32 AM
4EDM14OIL93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Where'd you get that from? NHL.com's 3 stars for April were Ovy, Elliot and Stepan. And aside from that, no, no rookie was a star of the month in any month.

Well I got a notification from NHL gamecenter that Yakupov was the 3rd star in April. Not sure what's with the differing 3 stars

Old
05-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post

That would be Ryan Suter. They've played on the top-pairing all season long.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:50 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
It's a travesty that Brodin is not there.

He should be #1.
Pretty obvious East Coast timezone bias

Brodin and Yakupov are more deserving than all 3 nominees.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:03 AM
Ace88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Hawks fan here saying I'd rather see the finalists be Huberdeau, Yakupov, and Brodin.

Both Saad and Gallagher had really good seasons but neither had the production that Yakupov did, as far as forwards go. I do think Gallagher is more worthy than Saad but neither should be there over Yakupov.

Brodin should have been on there easily as the last one. Don't know how or why he was snubbed. Been playing top-pairing minutes ever since he was recalled and played really well. I don't care if he's with Suter. Sure it helps, but your partner can only cover for you so much so Brodin has to be doing something right. He's not feeding off of Suter by any means. He's being helped by him but he certainly isn't a product of Suter at all. Put Suter with a guy like Brett Lebda and we'll see if Suter makes him an All-Star. Won't happen.

I think Huberdeau should get it though. Of all three forwards he was most productive and had the best season. Gallagher second and Saad third.
Judging it by points alone is dumb though when Saad and Yak are only what, 4 points difference? Saad played better and had a bigger role on a better team. He actually formed a potent unit with a superstar, as was Brodin. Yakupov was basically told to go out there and run around trying to score.

Yakupov may have had a marginal amount more points, but did not outplay Saad or Brodin.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:13 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Judging it by points alone is dumb though when Saad and Yak are only what, 4 points difference? Saad played better and had a bigger role on a better team. He actually formed a potent unit with a superstar, as was Brodin. Yakupov was basically told to go out there and run around trying to score.

Yakupov may have had a marginal amount more points, but did not outplay Saad or Brodin.

"Yakupov was basically told to go out there and run around trying to score."

Do you have a link for that? No, of course you don't. Now stop posting about matters which you do not have the slightest clue about; You're just embarrassing yourself.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:21 AM
Ace88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post

"Yakupov was basically told to go out there and run around trying to score."

Do you have a link for that? No, of course you don't. Now stop posting about matters which you do not have the slightest clue about; You're just embarrassing yourself.
Lol im not embarrassed in the slightest. But i would be if i was Ralph Krueger and watched video replay of my coaching decisions.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Lol im not embarrassed in the slightest. But i would be if i was Ralph Krueger and watched video replay of my coaching decisions.
Like what? Benching Yakupov when he wasn't good defensively even when it wasn't warranted at times? That tells you that he had free rein to do whatever he wanted on the ice?

Krueger is a terrible coach but he held Yakupov accountable for his poor defensive play early in the season.

Saying that a player doesn't have any defensive responsibilities in today's game is utterly ridiculous.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:46 AM
Ace88*

I never said he didnt have any defensive responsibilities. I said no such thing.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:13 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

********* year for a Calder. Not enough time for a good choice to be made.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:31 AM
Isaak16
The Universe Is Here

vCash: 400
Let's say there are five kids outside playing king of the hill and each child is using whatever particular advantages they might have to participate in the game. Now let's also say three of these children's fathers arrive home from work two hours earlier than the other two children's and begin to watch the proceedings. They watch for a while and begin to realize that the two boys who do not have a father present clearly have more ability to win the game. Rather than let this inevitable event take place they walk over, pick up their children, and place them at the top and declaring them the winners.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:37 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

lol interesting first page

these were my picks as well

I believe Saad should win but Huberdeau will win

Old
05-07-2013, 02:38 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

from this thread

Saad underrated

Brodin overrated

Old
05-07-2013, 03:29 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
Does it really matter who made it ?

Trophy was all Gallagher seriously. Best forward on a Division winner. No brainer really.
Did Pacioretty and Plekanec get traded out of Montreal or something?

Old
05-07-2013, 04:33 AM
dre2112

Anyone taking Gallagher off the list.... are you f---ing kidding me?

Guy was an absolute beast. Every time he was on the ice, something positive was happening. Every time.

He never took a shift off. He played hard. He took abuse to get into the areas most players are too scared to go into. He fought and battled and his numbers are really good too: 2nd in goals, 3rd in points, 5th in +/- and averaged less minutes, less games and less shifts than most rookies, including the top scorers.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:06 AM
SupremeNachos

vCash: 638
I really hope Huber gets the nod for this. I can forgive his plus/minus b/c of the team he is on, but good lord can he play. Nothing against Saad or Gallegher, but 10$ says if you put either of those 2 on the Panthers they wont come close to Hubes production and this is coming from a Wild fan.

Closed Thread