HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL.com announces Calder Trophy Finalists

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 07:42 AM
tony d
The franchise

vCash: 500
Yeah, figured 1 of Schultz or Brodin would have got to have been a finalist ahead of Saad.

05-07-2013, 07:44 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Did Pacioretty and Plekanec get traded out of Montreal or something?
Calling Gallagher the best forward is a stretch by any means but...

Pacioretty got a ton of pts this year but beyond getting pts, he's been rather horrible in everything else this year (invisible is probably apt). Course, Max playing with Desharnais who is also having a really bad year probably has something to do with it.
Plekanec pretty much played defensive 2nd line C all year (well, this year and last).
Actually, there really wasn't a 1st line at all.
So Gallagher mostly played with an inept Desharnais line (with Pacioretty) or played on a line with a Galchenyuk (with sometimes Eller) all year round.
Probably why some folks thinks he's the best forward on the team. The one thing he is best forward at is pure effort and the will to do what needs to be done to get the puck. I'll give him that

Old
05-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
Dillion in Dallas played against the top lines in the West all while being an un-drafted rookie! He had 74 block shots (1st among rookies), 133 hits (3rd among rookies), 21:23 TOI (4th among rookies) and people are *****ing about Brodin not being a finalist? Blah!
Still see Brodin's name coming up with people throwing a hissy!

Old
05-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Calling Gallagher the best forward is a stretch by any means but...

Pacioretty got a ton of pts this year but beyond getting pts, he's been rather horrible in everything else this year (invisible is probably apt). Course, Max playing with Desharnais who is also having a really bad year probably has something to do with it.
Plekanec pretty much played defensive 2nd line C all year (well, this year and last).
Actually, there really wasn't a 1st line at all.
So Gallagher mostly played with an inept Desharnais line (with Pacioretty) or played on a line with a Galchenyuk (with sometimes Eller) all year round.
Probably why some folks thinks he's the best forward on the team. The one thing he is best forward at is pure effort and the will to do what needs to be done to get the puck. I'll give him that
Plus he only averages 12-13 minutes of ice time compared to huberdeau 16 minutes of Ice time, I would hardly say if you out him in the panthers he would have a bad season...that's not how these things work.

What a great 5 round draft pick

Old
05-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Why is the NHL even bothering with this "finalist" dog-and-pony show this year, considering they aren't even doing their lame Oscar-style awards night? Just name the winners and be done with it.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:43 AM
VoicexOfxReason
RIP Lounge

Gallagher is a great young player, and i love how he plays, but Huberdeau was very very clearly the most important forward, maybe even player, on Florida this year. Very difficult to say the same about Gallagher or Saad, although both put up excellent seasons.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:49 AM
flyingsouth

Without getting into who should or shouldn't be on the list, I think Huberdeau wins this.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:50 AM
aemoreira1981

Who should win it: Brendan Gallagher. Who WILL win it: Toss-up between Gallagher and Saad.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:55 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeNachos View Post
I really hope Huber gets the nod for this. I can forgive his plus/minus b/c of the team he is on, but good lord can he play. Nothing against Saad or Gallegher, but 10$ says if you put either of those 2 on the Panthers they wont come close to Hubes production and this is coming from a Wild fan.
Exactly. I'm so certain Huberdeau wins this that I'm willing to be my avatar on it.

Old
05-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Halifaxhab*

I would love to see Gallagher win....now, it's not necessarily a homer thing....I want to see the "show"

If Gallagher wins, that obviously means Huberdeau has lost. On all french based sports shows, Huberdeau has been touted as a "super rookie" based partly on him being "un p'tit gars de chez nous" --- a guy from home.

So, If Huberdeau loses, they'd be pissed....BUT, a Montreal Canadien won it. So, what do they do? They will be split against each other, but the stuttering and back stabbing will be hilarious to watch

Old
05-07-2013, 10:59 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Judging it by points alone is dumb though when Saad and Yak are only what, 4 points difference? Saad played better and had a bigger role on a better team. He actually formed a potent unit with a superstar, as was Brodin. Yakupov was basically told to go out there and run around trying to score.

Yakupov may have had a marginal amount more points, but did not outplay Saad or Brodin.
Resorting to making up stuff is embarrassing. Yakupov was never allowed to run around trying to score. That's why his point totals didn't blow every other rookie's out of the water.

Nobody should care about team success when judging the Calder. It's not a team award and rookies are generally not the best players on their team. Even a rookie Crosby (who oddly enough didn't win the Calder) with 100+ points couldn't bring the Penguins past 29th in the league.

If Saad formed a potent unit with a superstar, Yakupov formed a potent unit with non-superstars. Saad is a joke of a pick. It should be Brodin, Yakupov, and Gallagher

Old
05-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Resorting to making up stuff is embarrassing. Yakupov was never allowed to run around trying to score. That's why his point totals didn't blow every other rookie's out of the water.
I'm sure that if Huberdeau was allowed to aimlessly skate up and down the opposing teams blueline during his entire 50 second shift, he would have lead the League in goals.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:05 PM
nickschultzfan

Brodin needs no Calder. His shelf is going to be too filled with Norris trophies by the end of his career.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:17 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Brodin needs no Calder. His shelf is going to be too filled with Norris trophies by the end of his career.
Really? What's going to happen to Weber ,Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Suter, Ekman-Larsson, Hedman, Doughty, Keith, Seth Jones, Larsson, Letang, Subban, McDonagh, etc. that makes you think this is going to happen?

Old
05-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Really? What's going to happen to Weber ,Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Suter, Ekman-Larsson, Hedman, Doughty, Keith, Seth Jones, Larsson, Letang, Subban, McDonagh, etc. that makes you think this is going to happen?

Old
05-07-2013, 01:19 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
He'll need to pump up his offensive stats significantly for that to happen. Of the past 25 Norris trophy winners 19 of them were top 3 in defensemen scoring, and only three of them were not top 5.

2009: Chara #12 -- one of the more debated voting results
1998: Blake #8
1993: Chelios #9 -- notably mean SOB who had previous top 5 scoring finishes and a Norris already.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:20 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
I'm sure that if Huberdeau was allowed to aimlessly skate up and down the opposing teams blueline during his entire 50 second shift, he would have lead the League in goals.
Cool story, bro. What is your point?
The only reason Yakupov didn't absolutely crush the rest of the rookie crop in offensive production is because Krueger made him defensively responsible.

I feel bad for Brodin and Yakupov, but it doesn't really matter in the long run. They will greatly exceed Saad and Gallagher in value. Huberdeau and Galchenyuk will likely be up there with Brodin and Yakupov.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
The only reason Yakupov didn't absolutely crush the rest of the rookie crop in offensive production is because Krueger made him defensively responsible.
1. The only way Yakupov will ever get enough minutes to suit his talents is if he can play on the ice against tougher competition. For example, one of the reasons that Skinner is relegated to the 2nd (and 3rd for the last 4 games of the season) line is because he is so brutal defensively. We couldn't put him with E. Staal, our best offensive player, because those two just bleed goals faster than they could score. Good for Krueger on demanding that his players be held accountable for more than just points.

2. The Calder isn't voted on what could have been. If Yakupov was allowed to totally ignore the defensive side of the game, then sure, he would have lead rookies in points. Just like if Saad got prime PP time with Toews, Kane and Hossa. Or if Huberdeau was allowed to cherry pick the entire game.

I dislike arguments like that go along the lines of "If X player had Y conditions differently, than Z results would become Z'!!". While possibly true, awards are not voted on Z', they're voted on Z. Especially an award like the Calder, where Z is, at best, 80 or so games. Even worse here, where Z is 48 games and there is little separation between the pack.

Last edited by Finlandia WOAT: 05-07-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old
05-07-2013, 01:50 PM
MilanKraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Be honest. Did you see Brodin play this year?
Never even heard of him till people start crying about his ROY nominee....

He must not have much of an impact.

Why not Dougie Hamilton?

Brodin did nothing special, would be the worst rookie of the year in the history of sports.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:53 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Galchenyuk might be up there had he been given more minutes a game. That being said, he has the type of raw talent where you can't just throw him out there, he needs to learn the game, kinda like Subban a few years ago. I think Gallagher is the most complete player here. I think Huberdeau will have the better career, but Gallagher had a crazy season, and totally deserves this.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:09 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanKraft View Post

Why not Dougie Hamilton?

Brodin did nothing special, would be the worst rookie of the year in the history of sports.
Oh man, I lost it at the bolded part, and then it just got better as it went on. Pure comedic gold, my friend.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Grammar Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanKraft View Post

Why not Dougie Hamilton?

Well, says more of you than Brodin.

Karlsson & OEL are the only Swedish defensemen i take over Brodin at the moment.
Hedman had a great year, but i have been rather disappointed of his play in previous years.
Kronwall is way to sloppy in his own end, and i don't like his stupid hitting either. Great on the PP thou.
Eriksson in Det also had a great year as Hedman in TB, but the same goes for him, he's previous years has not been that solid.
Edler I dunno, not that impressed with him lately.
Larsson, no, not yet anyway.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:34 PM
dre2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Galchenyuk might be up there had he been given more minutes a game. That being said, he has the type of raw talent where you can't just throw him out there, he needs to learn the game, kinda like Subban a few years ago. I think Gallagher is the most complete player here. I think Huberdeau will have the better career, but Gallagher had a crazy season, and totally deserves this.
If Galchenyuk played 1 PP shift a game I think he'd lead in rookie scoring.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:54 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Yeah, figured 1 of Schultz or Brodin would have got to have been a finalist ahead of Saad.
They both sucked in comparison to Saad.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:57 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Huberdeau was the one that should have been left out. Oh well.

Closed Thread