HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread III (6/30, 3PM EDT)

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2013, 01:43 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Q: ďIn your evaluations of the talent in this draft do you think itís more beneficial for this franchise to have the quantity of those three first round picks or would it be more beneficial to get the quality and move up?Ē

JK: ďItís not easy to move up, I can tell you that. Iíve talked with a couple of you and just from my past experience with the draft was here in 2007 we had three first round picks with St. Louis [Blues]. We tried every possible scenario to try to move up from nine to one, from nine to two, from nine to three, and so forth. We couldnít even move from nine to seven and seven was Columbusí pick at the time. We tried a lot of different things to try to move up. When other teams know that there are good players and they do their homework, it is not easy to move up.Ē

JK: ďOne thing I learned from my drafts--I was fortunate enough to have general managers that had experience in the scouting field and they understood how the draft worked obviously--I think that as a general manager I was fortunate that those guys always provided the best possible opportunity for the scouting staff with the moves they made so thatís the philosophy Iíll have going into this weekend where we have three first round picks and weíre going to do everything we can to provide our scouting staff the best possible opportunity, whether itís keeping those picks, moving up, or possibly moving back and getting some more picks and opportunities to pick players. The probabilities are not that high but if you have ten picks and the probability at the end of the day doesnít really matter if the quantity of the players you get that might contribute in the NHL. So if you have 15 darts to throw and you count the thirty percent or the fifty percent out of that or whatever your percentage might be, itís a lot more quantity than taking the same thirty percent out of eight picks or six picks.Ē
More here.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
In bold, some comments.

And out of all of those players, I think only Tarasenko was taken later than 14th (16th), our 1st pick.
7 out of 15 of the guys picked late in the 1st round, 2010, played 10 or more NHL/KHL games last season.

Thats 2 or less seasons of development after being drafted.

JK is being vague, understandably, but believe me he knows it doesn't take 3-6 years to develop most forwards picked in the 1st round.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:52 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
7 out of 15 of the guys picked late in the 1st round, 2010, played 10 or more NHL/KHL games last season.

Thats 2 or less seasons of development after being drafted.

JK is being vague, understandably, but believe me he knows it doesn't take 3-6 years to develop most forwards picked in the 1st round.
JK said make an impact.

I think only Tarasenko, Coyle and Kuznetsov, Etem in playoffs, maybe Bennett made one.. depending on the definition. And all of them have more development ahead of them.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
JK said make an impact.

I think only Tarasenko, Coyle and Kuznetsov, Etem in playoffs, maybe Bennett made one.. depending on the definition. And all of them have more development ahead of them.
And they did it in less than 3-6 years...

Quote:
I don't think you can really go into the draft and talk about needs now.
I don't believe him.

Call me crazy, but I think he'll use at least 2 of those first round picks to address our needs at forward. Of course, he's not going to tip his hand. Instead he'll make vague comments like above.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:07 PM
RDriesenUD

Odds are at least 2 of the first round picks will be forwards, but that is because odds are forward will be the BPA when we pick.

Old
06-25-2013, 05:06 PM
RDriesenUD

Kyle Woodlief's NHL mock draft

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eport/2454363/

Old
06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Another 2 D guy. WTF is wrong with these people? Do they have clue? I can see (grudgingly and if he is clearly the best prospect at that point) one but not 2. Sheesh.

Ad he writes like we actually need them. Where exactly would RR fit next year?

Old
06-25-2013, 05:22 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I'd go offense-offense-offense for all three picks in the first round. Then just hope two of them pan out.

Old
06-25-2013, 05:26 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'd go offense-offense-offense for all three picks in the first round. Then just hope two of them pan out.
I would go BPA, BPA, and BPA. I like his first 2 picks, but not the 3rd. I might have drafted someone different at 19, with who is availalbe, but Ristolainen would be very good value at that pick.

Old
06-25-2013, 05:29 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
BOPA,BOPA,BOPA,BOPA - all the way thru 45th.

With this theory in play, his draft could would have looked like Shinkaruk, Zykov, Klimchuk. Much better, imo.

Old
06-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Odds are at least 2 of the first round picks will be forwards, but that is because odds are forward will be the BPA when we pick.
Not so sure the 14th BPA will be a forward though. Later in the first you might be right.

Old
06-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Xoggz22

In Woodlief's draft, if Ristolainen is available at #19 (highly doubtful) that would be a steal in my opinion. I'm not opposed to Mueller at 27 but think Klimchuck would be a better choice. I didn't see Burakowsky in his top 30. at 27 he could be the steal of the draft...

Old
06-25-2013, 07:16 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
BOPA,BOPA,BOPA,BOPA - all the way thru 45th.

With this theory in play, his draft could would have looked like Shinkaruk, Zykov, Klimchuk. Much better, imo.
Yeah, I agree. That would be a very good draft for us.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:17 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
Not so sure the 14th BPA will be a forward though. Later in the first you might be right.
Yeah, it all depends on when the defensemen get picked. BPA at 14 or 19 could be a defenseman.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:19 PM
RDriesenUD

MacKinnon tops McKenzie's final draft rankings

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426318

Old
06-25-2013, 07:33 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Is Mantha really falling out of the first round?

There is absolutely nothing special about Mirco Mueller. Have zero interest in seeing us draft a guy who will be a one-dimensional, defensive defenseman in the first round.

Old
06-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Okay, I recognize I've been away for a while, but y'all deserve fair warning so y'all can get the bomb shelters up and running. If I see one more - ONE ****ING MORE - dumb**** dip**** so-called hockey "expert" insist that JK's going to draft Rasmus Ristolainen, with no basis for this opinion beyond "he's also Finnish", I'ma ****ing SET THE WORLD ON FIRE.

I haven't even been paying attention for the last few weeks and it's STILL getting to me.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-25-2013, 08:27 PM
CBJ Tiffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Okay, I recognize I've been away for a while, but y'all deserve fair warning so y'all can get the bomb shelters up and running. If I see one more - ONE ****ING MORE - dumb**** dip**** so-called hockey "expert" insist that JK's going to draft Rasmus Ristolainen, with no basis for this opinion beyond "he's also Finnish", I'ma ****ing SET THE WORLD ON FIRE.

I haven't even been paying attention for the last few weeks and it's STILL getting to me.
did you c this one yet?

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=98084

Old
06-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Is Mantha really falling out of the first round?

There is absolutely nothing special about Mirco Mueller. Have zero interest in seeing us draft a guy who will be a one-dimensional, defensive defenseman in the first round.
Quote:

Here's a couple names I haven't seen in a while...

Old
06-25-2013, 10:11 PM
EDM

It has been pleasant without irrational, uncontrolled screeching rants lately.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:58 PM
jackets4life
Battle On 2014!

Quote:
I am in total agreement with you all about going BOPA-BOPA-BOPA, just makes common sense seeing where the organization stands right now.

I will say though, I hope this Woodlief guy is correct about us getting Shinkaruk at 14. Would be an excellent selection if he is there.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Some of you probably saw this on the mains draft board, but I thought it was interesting.

Based on analysis of a HD video from a special on Vancouver's 2010 draft, it appears it's possible to see the Vancouver draft list.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...57&postcount=1

If you compare it to say any consensus list from that year, you get a feel for just how much variability there probably is in the rankings from team to team.

From a Jacket's perspective, it's interesting to see they had Johansen at 11. (Keep in mind, Vancouver didn't pick until the 4th round this year so maybe the top of the list wasn't worried about as much).

Also, we took Corbeil-Therault at 102, they had him ranked at 24. What a steal! Oh yeah, he was released from a contract a couple of years ago - just shows how inexact these scouting lists are in hindsight.

Old
06-26-2013, 05:44 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackets4life View Post
I am in total agreement with you all about going BOPA-BOPA-BOPA, just makes common sense seeing where the organization stands right now.

I will say though, I hope this Woodlief guy is correct about us getting Shinkaruk at 14. Would be an excellent selection if he is there.
In MacKenzie's ranking Shinkaruk is 14 also, surrounded by Horvat at 13 & Mantha at 15. Looks like a top offensive guy will be there for us.

Lazar (18). Erne (20) Rychel (21) Gauthier (22) for the second pick

Zykov (25) Hartman (26) De La Rose (29) Klimchuk (30) for the third

Lehkonen, Bailey, Poirer is the vicinity of 45

Could be a nice haul of forwards

Last edited by EspenK: 06-26-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old
06-26-2013, 06:37 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Good to have you back, skreeching rants and all!

Old
06-26-2013, 06:42 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Tiffin View Post
That would be what prompted this "screeching rant".

Closed Thread