HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greatest Leaf of All Time ?

View Poll Results: WHO IS THE BEST?
Syl Aps 4 9.09%
George Armstong 1 2.27%
Johnny Bower 0 0%
Carl Brewer 0 0%
Turk Broada 0 0%
Wendle Clark 2 4.55%
Charlie Conacher 6 13.64%
Doug Gilmour 2 4.55%
Tim Horton 0 0%
Tedder Kennedy 1 2.27%
Dave Keon 8 18.18%
Borge Salming 4 9.09%
Darryl Sittler 9 20.45%
Mats Sundin 7 15.91%
Rick Vaive 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2005, 06:07 PM
FerrisRox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
To be fair to you .. I can't think of a modern day player who's style is similar to what Borje brought to the game.

I think the closest approximation of Borje Salming in a modern day NHL player would be Teppo Numminen.

Teppo has been an absurdly under-rated player throughout his career, in large part due to spending his best years in smaller market outposts like the 'Peg and Phoenix. If he had spent his career in Toronto or Detroit instead it would have been very different.

Dating back to his early years in Winnipeg, I always thought he reminded me of Salming.

As for the question, I can't believe Sittler is winning this poll. There are much more deserving players in the Leafs alumni, cheif among them Syl Apps, George Armstrong, Dave Keon, Turk Broda, Frank Mahovolich and especially Teeder Kennedy. Sittler, a Hall of Famer who obviously had a great career, would be very hard pressed to be in the Leafs All-Time Top Five.

Last edited by FerrisRox: 05-10-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old
05-10-2005, 11:52 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
. . .
As for the question, I can't believe Sittler is winning this poll. There are much more deserving players in the Leafs alumni, cheif among them Syl Apps, George Armstrong, Dave Keon, Turk Broda, Frank Mahovolich and especially Teeder Kennedy. Sittler, a Hall of Famer who obviously had a great career, would be very hard pressed to be in the Leafs All-Time Top Five.
I voted for Sittler, but I see your point. These questions are quite subjective. They played in very different eras, fans have limited knowledge of the players, and it's difficult to know in which sense we think of the player as representing the Maple Leafs, as opposed to any other team.

Most of your list are good candidates, although I don't think George Armstrong merits serious consideration. Mahovolich suffers in my mind, because he is so famous for being traded away from the Leafs.

Of the others on the list, I think Sittler is superior to them in the high profile area of offensive skill- with the possible exception of Syl Apps. And it doesn't hurt that he is the all time leading scorer for the franchise.

Sittler also bled blue and white and continues to have a relationship with the team to this day. All of that contributes to his being "great."

But I reiterate- its a subjective thing, and I would not quarrel with any of your choices, other than Armstrong who while certainly an important part of our history, doesn't merit serious consideration alongside the rest.

Old
05-11-2005, 01:16 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

The NHL Network had its "Top 10 players to ever skate in a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey" recently .

The Results were as following compiled by a panel of experts ..

Here is the Top 10

1) Dave Keon
2) Mats Sundin
3) Darryl Sittler
4) Dougie Gilmour
5) Johnny Bower
6) Borje Salming
7) Frank Mahovlich
8) Wendel Clark
9) George Armstrong
10) Syl Apps

Old
05-11-2005, 02:05 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
The NHL Network had its "Top 10 players to ever skate in a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey" recently .

Here is the Top 10

1) Dave Keon
2) Mats Sundin
3) Darryl Sittler
4) Dougie Gilmour
5) Johnny Bower
6) Borje Salming
7) Frank Mahovlich
8) Wendel Clark
9) George Armstrong
10) Syl Apps

lmao no conacher and no horton

what a joke

was the panel of experts a bunch of monkeys...i think so!

Old
05-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander

what a joke

would Conacher replace Sundin and Horton replace Salming?

Old
05-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander

what a joke

Yeah, they have guys on there who don't own coffeeshops!!

Ridiculous, huh???

Old
05-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Leaf Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Yeah, they have guys on there who don't own coffeeshops!!

Ridiculous, huh???

ridiculous comes to my mind as well as the words ignorant ungrateful short sighted blah blah blah

Old
05-11-2005, 08:19 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:

Here is the Top 10

1) Dave Keon
2) Mats Sundin
3) Darryl Sittler
4) Dougie Gilmour
5) Johnny Bower
6) Borje Salming
7) Frank Mahovlich
8) Wendel Clark
9) George Armstrong
10) Syl Apps
I can't imagine any panel of experts at any level having Wendel Clark on the Top Ten Maple Leafs list. That's just absurd. How they could have Clark ahead of players like Teeder Kennedy, King Clancy and Turk Broda is truly ridiculous. That list is a joke.

Old
05-11-2005, 09:42 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
I can't imagine any panel of experts at any level having Wendel Clark on the Top Ten Maple Leafs list. That's just absurd. How they could have Clark ahead of players like Teeder Kennedy, King Clancy and Turk Broda is truly ridiculous. That list is a joke.
Not a joke, just subjective. Wendel had an injury plagued career that prevented him from compiling an impressive statistical record. But on the other hand, he's Wendel Clark. At his best he could singlehandedly turn a game around with hit, a fight, or his incredible shot. He was the only bright spot during a bad time for the Leafs, and he was absolutely *loved* by the fans.

I wouldn't describe him as one of the greatest, but I also wouldn't hesitate to say that he's one of my favourites.

Old
05-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
To be fair to you .. I can't think of a modern day player who's style is similar to what Borje brought to the game.

Salming was absolutely fearless on the ice .. He would slide face first to block a shot in his own zone, and was great defensively and would log 35+ minutes a game easily in all situations.

He would QB the PP and play nearly the full PK often taking the puck and going for a skate to play keep away as the time would run down.

He was a fluent skater that glided on the ice and could change direction on a dime.

Also offensively gifted in his playmaking ability more so as a playmaker then true goal scorer.

He wouldn't back down from no one, and even when the leagues toughest team Philly and their Broadsteet Bullies tactics could not take him off his game via insults " Chicken Swede" or intimidation. They left the game saying they underestimated his character.

The NHL has seen lots of players with styles similar to Tim Horton, and I give him his dues as surprisingly he was built the same as Ian White is only 5'10" 180 lbs.. He made a lot out of that

The NHL has seen very few players that resemble Salming past or present .. he was truly unique in his on ice abilities. All this playing under the shadow of Owner Harold Ballard who despised Euro players, well maybe all except one who wore #21 for his own Toronto Maple Leafs .. Same owner who commented on fellow Swede and Borje's team-mate Inge Hammerstrom "He could go into the corner with a pocket full of eggs and come out and not break a single one"

King Salming stands alone IMO
Hmmmmmm Pronger perhaps? Maybee Blake a few years ago?

allthough Salming didn't have the advantadge of being a giant like them.

I voted Sundin, I didn't see the Leafs untill late 80's early 90's

so it comes down to Clarke, Douggy and Sundin for me, and I love all 3 but it's Mats by far.

Old
05-12-2005, 04:45 PM
ogimaa

Graetest Leaf Of all Time

Ok this is my first post here, i noticed you people are looking for the greatest Leaf of all time, now I also noticed it is very subjective. So I will give 3 players not named who maybe should get some consideration. But before I do that I have a question, Why isn't Rick Vaive given more credit, he is the first Leaf to score 50 in a season? Just wondering. Anyways here goes:

1. Hap Day (1924 - 1937)
2. Gordie Drillon (1937 - 1942)
3. Red Kelly (1959 - 67)

Granted these guys are from different era's, but hey they are in HOF , and they at least have Stanley Cup's to there name. Food for thought. Oh yeah for the person (or people) saying Borje Salming is the Sergei Gonchar of his era, what hockey did you watch? If any one from the Leafs of that era can be compared to Sergei Gonchar it should be Ian Turnbull (as said by The Messenger) Anyways, just an opinion.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Leaf Lander

i love being corrected over and over again about the same post

the comments from the peanut gallery sucks

Old
05-12-2005, 06:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:

Here is the Top 10

1) Dave Keon
2) Mats Sundin
3) Darryl Sittler
4) Dougie Gilmour
5) Johnny Bower
6) Borje Salming
7) Frank Mahovlich
8) Wendel Clark
9) George Armstrong
10) Syl Apps

Dave Keon? What the hell?

Old
05-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Damn Straight .. !!!

More then one list of Leaf Greats has found Davey Keon firmly entrenched as the Greatest Leaf of all time .. and no argument from me on that one ..

Old
05-12-2005, 06:24 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Just because you don't know who he is doesn't mean anything, he's the best choice.

Old
05-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
What's wrong with that?

I don't think the Leafs have a clear cut number one player of all time, but Keon's as good a choice as anybody.

Old
05-13-2005, 05:08 AM
Leaf Lander

keon conacher aps kennedy horton sittler salming even sundin can all lay claims on beign the # one leaf of all time...maybe even broda or bower too

it is all good...can't wait till crosby joins that list

Old
05-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Keon was a top 2-way player and definitely a solid choice for top Leaf. I only wish there was some way for the organization to mend the fences with him. Damn that Ballard.

Old
05-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Keon was a top 2-way player and definitely a solid choice for top Leaf. I only wish there was some way for the organization to mend the fences with him. Damn that Ballard.
I think we can say that bridge is permanently broken. Dryden tried several times to woo him back for cermonies, but he has no interest which is a little perplexing. I understand his bitterness for Ballard and his associates, but this is a totally different ownership group which puts a great deal of effort and emphasis into Leaf history and alumni, not to mention the fans still love him.

Old
05-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Leaf Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
I think we can say that bridge is permanently broken. Dryden tried several times to woo him back for cermonies, but he has no interest which is a little perplexing. I understand his bitterness for Ballard and his associates, but this is a totally different ownership group which puts a great deal of effort and emphasis into Leaf history and alumni, not to mention the fans still love him.
It is abundantly clear to me that ony the bwo could get keon back
into the leafs fold

Old
05-13-2005, 09:20 AM
ogimaa

Rick Vaive

Nobody a fan of Rick Vaive I see, LOL. Hey in all this I also noticed there is no mention of 2 of the most charismatic Leafs of all-time, namely Mike Palmateer and Lanny McDonald. Any comments?

Old
05-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Keon's Resume

15 Seasons... 1960 -1975

1052 Games as Leaf - 4th most (Armstrong 1188, Horton 1184, Salming 1099)

858 points in Blue and White- 2nd most all-time (Sittler 916)

4 Stanley Cups Rings including .. 36 points in 36 games and

The Conn Smyth Trophy winner in Leafs Last Cup in 1967 as Playoff MVP

He really doesn't need defending .. His accomplishments speak for themselves.

and as you said Pep .. Had Ballard not gotten involved Keon may never have left for the WHA .. and would have lead in all statistical categories during his distinguished career.

Last edited by Mess: 05-13-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old
05-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Leaf Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogimaa
Nobody a fan of Rick Vaive I see, LOL. Hey in all this I also noticed there is no mention of 2 of the most charismatic Leafs of all-time, namely Mike Palmateer and Lanny McDonald. Any comments?

I remember rick vaive playing that man could shoot the puck better then 99% of the nhl. Because he was slowing down from age 24 on he was a bit of a floater who at times played at the other teams blue line awaiting a pass from john anderson or salming but that sort of thing occured in the 1980's.

He was the leafs franchise in the 1980's he was a classy man and was the face pf the eafs at every function going then sadly he was quickly disgarded when # 17 wendle clark came to town.

Old
05-13-2005, 01:27 PM
timlap

Quote:
Keon's Resume

15 Seasons... 1960 -1975

and as you said Pep .. Had Ballard not gotten involved Keon may never have left for the WHA .. and would have lead in all statistical categories during his distinguished career.

Keon is a good choice and he was my first favourite Leaf. As a kid I had a number 14 Leafs jersey. For the sake of comparison, here are Sittler's stats:

As a Leaf, 916 points in just 848 games (389 goals, 527 assists).

Fought Bobby Clarke before the first puck was dropped in a playoff game against the Flyers! (Surely that should count for something)

For a scorer, he was never afraid to get his nose dirty, racking up almost as many pims as points.

Scored one of Canada's biggest goals ever in the 1976 Canada Cup.

Much like Keon, Sittler's story was messed up by Harold Ballard. Had the old goat not traded Lanny MacDonald in a deliberate attempt to upset Sittler, Darryl would likely have finished his career as a Leaf and become the only thousand point player in team history. Who knows? A Macdonald/Sittler combo might have even led Roger Neilson's squad to a Stanley Cup.

Frank Mahovlich is another player who should have played his entire career in Toronto, if not for stupid ownership.

I love Keon, but he loses a few points for not forgiving and forgetting- especially when another hockey great- Ken Dryden- made such a push to welcome him back.

Last edited by timlap: 05-13-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old
05-13-2005, 01:36 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Keon's Resume

15 Seasons... 1960 -1975

Another interesting stat is 117 penalty minutes in 1286 NHL games.

Closed Thread