HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ron Rolston named head coach (Patrick, Adams fired)

Old
05-07-2013, 10:29 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I know he likes to have his own guys around him, just wondering if there is anyone he's worked with who has experience as an NHL assistant. I can't see guys he worked for like Jackson or York leaving the collegiate ranks for an assistants gig -- they're NCAA lifers. But if he's going to go with "his" guys, outside of Cassidy, who might that be?
Im sure he has relationships with many coaches.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
And that's why the Sabres have no problem being bad and provide a boring and talentless product.Why wouldn't the Sabres raise prices, spend less and intentionally tank, thousands of people will continually pay for it.
I don't think that's true at all. The Sabres fanbase is a bunch of fair weather bandwagoners. They'll come to figure this out in time.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Squantosawuss

I still can't believe Darcy admits to NOT talking to any other candidates for head coach.

Darcy loves his players AND his coaches.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:57 PM
VaporTrail
GOODBYE D'arse !!!

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Wake me when this boring nightmare is over.
alarm clock set for 2019...abou 6 more years of Darcy's shenanigans sounds about right...now go back to sleep

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Sabretip

FWIW, Hamilton in his afternoon interview with Schopp said that Patrick was "on the outs" with the coaching staff - which sounded like he and Rolston weren't on the same page. Hamilton suggested that Patrick may leave the organization and that if Ruff gets hired this summer, Patrick is sure to join him.

Hoppe's report hints at the assistants being replaced:

Quote:
He hopes to name his coaching staff within a week. He noted the professionalism of the current assistants and said they will be considered
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/new...was-their-man/

In that same article, Ott's comments about Rolston were certainly positive and encouraging but it's also hard to know if he isn't just being the optimist and toeing the company line to keep everyone's spirits up.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 01:45 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
FWIW, Hamilton in his afternoon interview with Schopp said that Patrick was "on the outs" with the coaching staff - which sounded like he and Rolston weren't on the same page. Hamilton suggested that Patrick may leave the organization and that if Ruff gets hired this summer, Patrick is sure to join him.

In that same article, Ott's comments about Rolston were certainly positive and encouraging but it's also hard to know if he isn't just being the optimist and toeing the company line to keep everyone's spirits up.
Ott doesn't strike me as the type of guy to say something disingenuous. If he didn't feel strongly about Rolston, I don't think he would be as effusive in praising him as he was. Obviously I could be wrong.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 02:12 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Ott doesn't strike me as the type of guy to say something disingenuous. If he didn't feel strongly about Rolston, I don't think he would be as effusive in praising him as he was. Obviously I could be wrong.
Not necessarily disingenuous but let's admit that, when everyone else saw the writing on the wall about the Sabres missing the playoffs, he still was saying in interviews that he felt the Sabres could make them and cause some damage in them. He may be an honest, straightforward guy but other than his rant of the fans' booing, nearly every interview I read or heard with him sounded like he only speaks in positives and refuses to say anything negative or critical.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 02:26 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Not necessarily disingenuous but let's admit that, when everyone else saw the writing on the wall about the Sabres missing the playoffs, he still was saying in interviews that he felt the Sabres could make them and cause some damage in them. He may be an honest, straightforward guy but other than his rant of the fans' booing, nearly every interview I read or heard with him sounded like he only speaks in positives and refuses to say anything negative or critical.
Good point. The parallel to making the playoffs commentary is legitimate to draw from.

Though I see a bit of a difference between speaking on something he has somewhat of a say or a hand in (playing hard to finish the year and hope for playoffs) versus the selection of the coach. But you're probably right in that he may just be speaking like a company man regarding Ronnie.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:24 AM
Jacob582

Quote:

Chadd Cassidy handled the defensemen during games in Rochester. Jay McKee left as assistant after one year. As has been said before, Rolston (and every coach/manager, right?) likes his own people.

Count me in as someone who wants more change. Just sad for me as Patrick and Teppo were some of my favorite players.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Chadd Cassidy handled the defensemen during games in Rochester. Jay McKee left as assistant after one year. As has been said before, Rolston (and every coach/manager, right?) likes his own people.

Count me in as someone who wants more change. Just sad for me as Patrick and Teppo were some of my favorite players.
Fine players, not so great as coaches.

05-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Niagaradad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan213 View Post
This is going to be the 1st season in quite a while that will have very little hype going into it. I don't know what to do with my season tickets. I can't suffer through 3 more years of what happened this season.
A guy parked outside of First Niagara phones the police, says his car was broken into. The police ask if anything was stolen. "No, worse" the guy says, "I had a pair of Sabres tickets on the dashboard, when I got back to my car there were four!"

But really, scalp your Leafs, Habs and (starting next year) Wings tickets. They'll pay for your season tickets or close enough, and you can pick and choose which other games to attend.

Niagaradad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Niagaradad

With the Sabres expecting to draft in the first handful of picks the next year or so, possibly lose Miller and Vanek, and fill the ice with younger players, what's so wrong about retaining Rolston, an experienced teaching coach for young players?

If Regier went through an interview process but at the end of it retained Rolston isn't it possible we'd be arguing that the decision was already made to retain Rolston and the interview process was just for optics?

Realistically this could be a bad two or three years if they actually stick to a plan. Who else would be chomping at the bit to come to a team that plans on bottoming out?

Niagaradad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:24 AM
CowbellConray

Don't expect adams teppo or patrick back for next season. I know people who have told me teppo and adams both expect to be let go this offseason.

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:54 AM
JLewyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagaradad View Post
With the Sabres expecting to draft in the first handful of picks the next year or so, possibly lose Miller and Vanek, and fill the ice with younger players, what's so wrong about retaining Rolston, an experienced teaching coach for young players?

If Regier went through an interview process but at the end of it retained Rolston isn't it possible we'd be arguing that the decision was already made to retain Rolston and the interview process was just for optics?

Realistically this could be a bad two or three years if they actually stick to a plan. Who else would be chomping at the bit to come to a team that plans on bottoming out?
It depends on how he coaches him. When DR fired Lindy, he gave the reason that a coach has to be adaptable to his players. Basically what he was saying, that he(DR) put into a place an aggressive offense first player corp and Lindy was a defense first coach who refused to let them loose. Now, obviously, Rolston had to fix and focus on our own end this year but he clearly still has a Ruffian mentality that might get in the way in the future. By the end of year, our defense was so conservative that teams began to pinch at will . I want a coach who realizes that there is something beyond defense and positioning, that goals just dont grow on trees especially with this team. Over the past few years, We are at our best when we are pinching, attacking and creating rushes by taking risks. Instead, RR might stunt the growth of our core by forcing them to play a game theyre not best at or worst not playing them at all(see grigs and hodgson on the forth while putting Hecht on the first).

JLewyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:03 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Teppo hasn't had a shot as a proper assistant coach though has he?

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:19 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I don't think that's true at all. The Sabres fanbase is a bunch of fair weather bandwagoners. They'll come to figure this out in time.
What exactly is so special about the Buffalo Niagara region where the Buffalo fanbase is a bunch of bandwagon fans but nowhere else in the country is?

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
alarm clock set for 2019...abou 6 more years of Darcy's shenanigans sounds about right...now go back to sleep
disgusting... you must work for TBN!!! How dare you question this well-thought-out hiring process.

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:59 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagaradad View Post
But really, scalp your Leafs, Habs and (starting next year) Wings tickets. They'll pay for your season tickets or close enough, and you can pick and choose which other games to attend.
As much as people say this, it's not really true. I get a bit more for those teams in normal years, but this past year I had a tough time getting rid of any tickets, Leafs or otherwise.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
I know he likes to have his own guys around him, just wondering if there is anyone he's worked with who has experience as an NHL assistant. I can't see guys he worked for like Jackson or York leaving the collegiate ranks for an assistants gig -- they're NCAA lifers. But if he's going to go with "his" guys, outside of Cassidy, who might that be?
Rolston played juniors in the NAHL with the St. Clair Shore Falcons. Jeff Jackson was his head coach in 1984-85, with Chris Luongo among his teammates. Jackson is currently the head coach at Notre Dame, while Luongo was the head coach at UAH from 2010-12.

Rolston continued playing collegiately at Michigan Tech, where Mel Pearson was an assistant and Randy McKay, Jamie Russell and Davis Payne were among his teammates. Currently: Pearson is the head coach at Michigan Tech; McKay a former volunteer assistant at Michigan Tech; Russell an assistant at Providence College and former head coach at Michigan Tech; and Payne an assistant with the LA Kings and former head coach with St. Louis and Peoria-AHL.

Rolston was hired by his former coach Jeff Jackson as an assistant at LSSU in 1990-91. Jim Roque and Paul Pooley were also assistants in Rolston's three-season tenure and among the players coached were Jim Dowd, Doug Weight, Doug Laprade, Brian Rolston, Bates Battaglia and John Grahame. Currently: Roque is the head coach at LSSU; Pooley an associate at Notre Dame and former head coach at Providence College; Dowd retired; Weight an assistant with the NYI; Laprade an assistant at LSSU; B.Rolston retired; Battaglia retired (and Amazing Race winner); and Grahame retired.

Rolston next joined the staff at Clarkson as an assistant in 1996-97, reuniting with Jim Roque. Mark Morris was the head coach in Rolston's three-season tenure and among the players coached were Todd White, Jean-Francois Houle, Chris Clark, Philippe Roy, Chris Bernard, Erik Cole, Willie Mitchell and Kent Huskins. Currently: Morris is the head coach of Manchester-AHL; White retired; Houle a head coach with Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL); Clark a development coach with Columbus; Roy an assistant at Clarkson; Bernard a head coach at SUNY-Potsdam; Cole active; Mitchell active; and Huskins active.

Rolston then joined the staff at Harvard as an assistant in 1999-00. During his three-season tenure, Mark Mazzoleni was the head coach and Nathan Leaman an assistant, while among the players coached were Dominic Moore. Currently: Mazzoleni is an assistant at St. Norbert College and former head coach at Green Bay (USHL); Leaman a head coach at Providence College and former head coach at Union; and Moore active.

Rolston next joined BC as an assistant in 2002-03. During his two-season tenure, Jerry York was the head coach and Jimmy Logue and Mike Cavanaugh assistants, while among the players coached were Andrew Alberts, Patrick Eaves, Stephen Gionta, Peter Harrold, Ben Lovejoy and Brian Boyle. Currently: York is the head coach at BC; Logue an assistant at BC; Cavanaugh an assistant at BC, but soon to be UConn head coach; Alberts active; Eaves active; Gionta active; Harrold active; Lovejoy active; and Boyle active.

Rolston then joined the USNTDP program as a head coach, alternating between the U18 and U17 teams over seven seasons. Among the assistants were Nate Leaman, John Lilley, Chadd Cassidy, Patrick Foley, Joe Exter and Matt Greason. Rolston also assistant-coached at the WC with Scott Gordon, Todd Richards and Joe Sacco one year. Currently: Leaman, as previously noted, is head coach at PC; Lilley a scout with Toronto; Cassidy an interim head coach with Rochester-AHL; Foley an assistant at Northeastern; Exter an assistant at Ohio State; Greason a head coach at Trinity College; Gordon an assistant with Toronto; Richards a head coach with Columbus; and Sacco a former head coach with Colorado. Also, some of the notable players coached were mentioned in this NHL.com article from his interim hiring:
Quote:
His first season with the USNTDP was 2004-05, and he capped it by guiding the U-18 team to a gold medal at the World Under-18 Championship. The three leading scorers on that team were Kessel, Gerbe and Florida Panthers forward Peter Mueller. In all six players from that U-18 team were picked in the first round of an NHL Draft -- forwards Kessel, Mueller and Jack Skille, and defensemen Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson and Mark Mitera.

Rolston worked the following season with the USNTDP U-17 team, and when that group graduated to the U-18 level, he went with them. Emerging from that group were nine players who went on to be first-round NHL picks, among them Toronto forward James van Riemsdyk, Nashville Predators forward Colin Wilson and St. Louis Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk.

The following season he inherited a new group of players, and after a season of grooming them with the U-17 team, he helped them emerge as a championship group at the U-18 level, taking home the gold medal at the 2009 World Under-18 Championship.

That wasn't the only gold medal that group won. Just nine months later, seven members from Rolston's U-18 champions -- forwards Jerry D'Amigo, Jeremy Morin, Ryan Bourque and Jason Zucker; defensemen Cam Fowler and John Ramage; and goaltender Jack Campbell -- won the United States' second-ever gold medal at the 2010 World Junior Championship.

Rolston had one more golden run in him, leading the U.S. to another gold medal, at the 2011 World U-18s. Much like the previous group he led to U-18 gold, the 2011 group wasn't satisfied with winning only one medal. Just last month, 10 players from that U-18 championship team -- forwards J.T. Miller, Rocco Grimaldi, Tyler Biggs, Blake Pietila and Cole Bardreau; defensemen Seth Jones, Jacob Trouba, Connor Murphy and Jake McCabe; and goaltender John Gibson -- captured the gold medal at the 2013 World Junior Championship.
* Followed by the obvious Rochester, interim Buffalo and permanent Buffalo head coach jobs.
** Included active players in addition to those in coaching for possible UFA/trade consideration.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 01:33 PM
French Connection

Quote:

Didn't RR also get rid of his only NHL experienced coach in Rochester? Now he is doing it again. I don't think its the fact they where former NHL players as much as maybe not American born. Anybody check to see if the two where not from the US?

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 01:37 PM
French Connection

Quote:
That is a crock. Many articles can be found from the developmental camp highlighting the fact Both, and in particularly Patrick where held in high standards by the players.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
That is a crock. Many articles can be found from the developmental camp highlighting the fact Both, and in particularly Patrick where held in high standards by the players.
Most coaches are held in high regard by players... doesn't mean they are or aren't good coaches

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 02:41 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
I'm sure they loved the guys, and I'm sure the coaches were good teachers, but if you look at the product on the ice, it reflects the coaching staff. If people want to blame Ruff for the team's shortcomings, then the assistants need to be held accountable too. Though Ruff may have a system in place, the assistants need to coach these players the small things in the game.

When you watch this team, they failed at coaching the small things to become successful; these include, but are not limited to: Winning Faceoffs, Body positioning with and without the puck, PP movement, Skating, Hand Eye Coordination drills, strength and conditioning, penalty killing, clearing the zone, defensive awareness, offensive awareness, etc. When you add those things together they can equate to a functional and successful team. This coaching staff, as a whole, failed.

I'll give Ron a chance, but I'm not giving him the amount of rope Ruff had. I would like to see what kind of staff he can put together.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:16 PM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

Seems about right. Congrats to him getting the full time nod. He deserves to have a full run. Especially coming up from Rochester, it makes sense to transition the team from the former (Ruff) to the new.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Jeremy2020

He may end up being a good coach. It's certainly uninspiring to the fans. Not that it's a good thing to make decisions based on fans.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote