HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Rolston named head coach (Patrick, Adams fired)

Old
05-21-2013, 03:48 PM
sjci

vCash: 313
@JoshRimerHockey 6m
Congrats to Phil Housley who was hired as Nashville Predators assistant coach!

sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:26 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

vCash: 500
Ron Rolston, Patrick Roy, Jon Cooper, Dallas Eakins, Alain Vigneault, Guy Boucher, and John Tortorella.

How would you rank these coaches? Just wondering how everyone thinks we did after its all played out.

I would rate Rolston last, but that's mainly because he hasn't really done anything yet.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:30 PM
gallagt01

Does it matter?

Regier gave Rolston his vote of confidence a while ago. Whether or not it's a smart hire (even with all of the more proven coaches now available), Rolston's the guy. We'll know if he was the right choice after he flops or succeeds.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:48 PM
tsujimoto74

Has there been any new news on who Rolston is looking at for assistants?

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:57 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Im guessing that after all the other teams hire their assistants we can begin to hire ours.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:16 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
There is mounting speculation hes looking to grab Grand Rapids HC Dean Blaishill. So we may hear something very soon as a win tonight wins the Calder Cup for GR

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:20 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Ron Rolston, Patrick Roy, Jon Cooper, Dallas Eakins, Alain Vigneault, Guy Boucher, and John Tortorella.

How would you rank these coaches? Just wondering how everyone thinks we did after its all played out.

I would rate Rolston last, but that's mainly because he hasn't really done anything yet.
All of the bolded have accomplished nothing yet as NHL coaches.

We wont start to know how we did until they start playing games next season nor will the other teams.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
It is very difficult to grade coaches to the point of being nearly useless. Coaches have more room than players to evolve positively and negatively over their careers, and the thin line between having an underachieving or overachieving affect on a team is largely about fit and circumstance. Sure, great coaches are great coaches, but pretty much every great coach has struggled with different rosters in their careers.

Eakins to me is the most intriguing of the newbies both for Buffalo and in general. He would have been my first choice for Sabres coach.

Vigneault is probably the coach I'd choose for Buffalo out of the established guys. He's made some incredibly questionable coaching moves but I feel his GM completely screwed him over as time went on. If Maloney went to market it'd be close between those two.

The rest of the names are really no more interesting to me than Rolston. Let's just hope that firstly he is the right guy to coach up this young team, getting the team to work hard within an effective system and developing the talent. If he can be that, then you have to see if he can also be the guy to lead them through the playoffs.

I was and still am upset that they didn't have an in depth hiring process, but the result is acceptable to me at this point.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I have no idea if Rolston will succeed, but I imagine his success or failure will be directly related to the talent of his players.

If nothing else it's boring, and generates zero excitement. If they fail to make a move at the draft to add an NHL ready kid at the top, or fail to change the look of the team through a trade and FA it's gonna hard to sell me on the 2013-2014 Buffalo Sabres.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:10 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I have no idea if Rolston will succeed, but I imagine his success or failure will be directly related to the talent of his players.

If nothing else it's boring, and generates zero excitement. If they fail to make a move at the draft to add an NHL ready kid at the top, or fail to change the look of the team through a trade and FA it's gonna hard to sell me on the 2013-2014 Buffalo Sabres.
Thats true for any coach.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Thats true for any coach.
Yup. That's kind of my point. Rolston, Eakins, Roy, whoever will be awful head coaches if they have ****** players. I don't think you can coach up a garbage team, and I'm sure it's pretty easy to coach a talented team

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Jacob582

Paul Hamilton ‏@pham1717 1h
Numminen will handle defense and PP. Sacco PK and communicate with Forton upstairs. Rolston will change (forward) lines

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote