HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

James van Riemsdyk

Old
05-09-2013, 11:26 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Man View Post
Hi there Leafs fans, I dont follow the Leafs much but I see that JvR is kinda having a breakout season. Was just wondering how he is doing for your guys? Have he changed his style of play much since coming to the Leafs?
Absolutely. He went from being pillow soft to actually laying out big hits. He protects the puck very well and has really found that extra gear. Plus he's actually looked kinda mean this series. Almost like an incredibly poor man's Eric Lindros.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:45 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Him and Reimer have definitely been our best players this series.

HM to Kessel.
Yes...absolutely. Reimer has given the Leafs a chance to win every game. JVR has been awesome. Kessel has been dynamic and very good. Can't argue with any of your assessements.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:02 PM
allyb

Send a message via ICQ to allyb Send a message via Yahoo to allyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Yes...absolutely. Reimer has given the Leafs a chance to win every game. JVR has been awesome. Kessel has been dynamic and very good. Can't argue with any of your assessements.
Big fan of Kessel but if that was a regular season game I think he would have missed a few shifts for his stupid/selfish plays

JVR has been great especially with Kulimen as he dominating the boards

allyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:05 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
JVR and Lupul are currently the longest signed Leafs players(2018-2019), and I have absolutely no problem with that.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:46 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
JVR and Lupul are currently the longest signed Leafs players(2018-2019), and I have absolutely no problem with that.

wow, didn't know JVR was signed for that long
we are lucky to have a potential superstar on our team for a long time

and yes, i said superstar, this kid has that kind of talent

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:08 PM
The Wall

With Kessel/Dion/Gards/Lups/JVR and of course Optimus we have such a bright future ahead of us. Don't get too down on this series, we'll be back. btw cheers to Burkie for getting all these guys

The Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:43 PM
moonbal

moonbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:54 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wall View Post
With Kessel/Dion/Gards/Lups/JVR and of course Optimus we have such a bright future ahead of us. Don't get too down on this series, we'll be back. btw cheers to Burkie for getting all these guys
Gotta get the fathead in there eh? He wasn't responsible for Optimus..probably would have ditched him for Looooooooooooooooooooooooou...given the chance. Dion is okay but giving him the C is a mistake. Kessel cost a lot...but a good player. "Gards and Lups and JVR" probably his greatest accomplishments. And actually McClement surprisingly the only decent FA signing in his tenure. Four years of bottom finishes...wow...is this some kind of huge accomplishment? Had previous GMs done nothing and just drafted..they probably would have a core of Seguin, Hamilton, Rask, Kadri, Schenn, Frattin, Gunnarsson and Reilly.

Thats what a monkey would have done.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Durrr

vCash: 50
Quote:
Gotta get the fathead in there eh? He wasn't responsible for Optimus..probably would have ditched him for Looooooooooooooooooooooooou...given the chance. Dion is okay but giving him the C is a mistake. Kessel cost a lot...but a good player. "Gards and Lups and JVR" probably his greatest accomplishments. And actually McClement surprisingly the only decent FA signing in his tenure. Four years of bottom finishes...wow...is this some kind of huge accomplishment? Had previous GMs done nothing and just drafted..they probably would have a core of Seguin, Hamilton, Rask, Kadri, Schenn, Frattin, Gunnarsson and Reilly.

Thats what a monkey would have done.
I'd take JVR and Gardiner over Seguin(assuming Seguin is now a winger) and Hamilton at this movement, granted they may be older and a bit further in development. At Seguin's age JVR absolutely killed it in the post season and continues to do so. Seguin has failed to even put up a point thus far even though hes contributed post-season in the past, making it very hard to judge what kind of impact he will have going forward in this league.

To be honest just by your opening statement, I think your post loses most credibility. For good example of what bottom finishes gets you, take a look at the oilers or aves. They have some insanely skilled core players that haven't yet been able to show that they can really accomplish much at all. Burke and Nonis deserve full credibility for putting together a good core so far, I'd take our current core over the mix match of players you listed any day. This team may be down 1-3, but besides maybe the first game they have shown determination, fight and skill as a team.

Edit*** I'd take Rask over Reimer lol! That wasn't Burke's doing though, previous era B.S trying to trade youth to buy into the playoffs.

Lastly, if we had just beaten MTL the last game of the season we would probably be in the Sen's position right now, with everyone ranting about how amazing this team is. Going forward, even if we don't win this series this is valuable experience that will be built on going forward.

Durrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

JvR - 4.25 for 5 more years
Lupul - 5.25 for 5 more years

Two 1b LW's for 9.5 million combined is a steal.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:12 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrr View Post
I'd take JVR and Gardiner over Seguin(assuming Seguin is now a winger) and Hamilton at this movement, granted they may be older and a bit further in development. At Seguin's age JVR absolutely killed it in the post season and continues to do so. Seguin has failed to even put up a point thus far even though hes contributed post-season in the past, making it very hard to judge what kind of impact he will have going forward in this league.

To be honest just by your opening statement, I think your post loses most credibility. For good example of what bottom finishes gets you, take a look at the oilers or aves. They have some insanely skilled core players that haven't yet been able to show that they can really accomplish much at all. Burke and Nonis deserve full credibility for putting together a good core so far, I'd take our current core over the mix match of players you listed any day. This team may be down 1-3, but besides maybe the first game they have shown determination, fight and skill as a team.

Edit*** I'd take Rask over Reimer lol! That wasn't Burke's doing though, previous era B.S trying to trade youth to buy into the playoffs.

Lastly, if we had just beaten MTL the last game of the season we would probably be in the Sen's position right now, with everyone ranting about how amazing this team is. Going forward, even if we don't win this series this is valuable experience that will be built on going forward.
You get to have an opinion..But your opinion of Seguin is a joke. The guy has been a dominating force with no points to show for it. You guys and your stats. Do you even watch the games. Phil only has 3 lousy points in 4 games but is easily one of the best forwards on either side. I can say the same about Seguin. He is everywhere. Just not getting the bounces. What do you base Gardiner over Hamilton on?

You make a point about the Habs? What is it? Although this team had their own fate in their own hands, knowing full well that a win on home ice in the last game of the playoffs guaranteed them a weaker opponent in round one and they came out flat. Sucked large. Ridiculous. What is your point? Talk about the Oilers? Avs? You don't think either team has a plethora of talent that can be coming of age together very soon? Everyone laughed at the Isles...even the Kings...because they always sucked...and drafted high...guess what? They are here now. The Isles aren't far from being a legit team.

I even forgot to throw in possible Logan Couture as part of the core. Another boneheaded trade by JFJ. Basically if you suck for long enough.....and you have a clue in drafting...you will have a good core of young players.

Not rocket science...

Old
05-10-2013, 08:17 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:

It's hard to tell with Hamilton until he's good enough to crack the lineup consistently.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:24 AM
SprDaVE

JVR has played a physical game also, which should be exciting for Leaf fans going forward. I think Rask has seen JVR's arse more than Chara's this series.

He's been hitting and getting into scrums.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Durrr

Quote:
You get to have an opinion..But your opinion of Seguin is a joke. The guy has been a dominating force with no points to show for it. You guys and your stats. Do you even watch the games. Phil only has 3 lousy points in 4 games but is easily one of the best forwards on either side. I can say the same about Seguin. He is everywhere. Just not getting the bounces. What do you base Gardiner over Hamilton on?

You make a point about the Habs? What is it? Although this team had their own fate in their own hands, knowing full well that a win on home ice in the last game of the playoffs guaranteed them a weaker opponent in round one and they came out flat. Sucked large. Ridiculous. What is your point? Talk about the Oilers? Avs? You don't think either team has a plethora of talent that can be coming of age together very soon? Everyone laughed at the Isles...even the Kings...because they always sucked...and drafted high...guess what? They are here now. The Isles aren't far from being a legit team.

I even forgot to throw in possible Logan Couture as part of the core. Another boneheaded trade by JFJ. Basically if you suck for long enough.....and you have a clue in drafting...you will have a good core of young players.

Not rocket science...
You say I can have an opinion but it's a joke lol, then you go ahead and dismiss "stats". I left my opinion of Seguin pretty much wide open, saying it's hard to judge what kind of role he's going to play because hes either having an off year or settling into lower production. And no, I do not think the oilers or the avs will just "come together" soon. You can't just draft BPA and just pray your team comes together, which is exactly what the oilers have done. Burke traded and drafted core pieces that have already started to take shape, while these two teams are pretty much in the middle of no where with some small skilled forwards and have to yet again draft in the top 10 because they're teams are simply not good enough.

And please, the Islanders are in the post season because the East is a mess this year. JT is an amazing leader, and he's got some good support but they not an overall young team and are far far away from being a legit team. You're right when you say if you suck long enough you'll have a good core, but that's inevitable with all the talent coming through your system. My point was that that's not enough to have a competitive team. This is exactly what the kings did, and hopefully what the leafs will continue to do even without Burke. Trading for 2 huge impact players that were necessary for even making the playoffs were the only reason people now talk about LA like this was always going to happen.

Last edited by Durrr: 05-10-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old
05-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
It's hard to tell with Hamilton until he's good enough to crack the lineup consistently.
For sure, I obviously admit my opinion is a biased one. However Gardiner possesses an amazing skillset and skating abilities, he's been a huge factor this series where our vets have failed to make an impact.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:48 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
You say I can have an opinion but it's a joke lol, then you go ahead and dismiss "stats". I left my opinion of Seguin pretty much wide open, saying it's hard to judge what kind of role he's going to play because hes either having an off year or settling into lower production. And no, I do not think the oilers or the avs will just "come together" soon. You can't just draft BPA and just pray your team comes together, which is exactly what the oilers have done. Burke traded and drafted core pieces that have already started to take shape, while these two teams are pretty much in the middle of no where with some small skilled forwards and have to yet again draft in the top 10 because they're teams are simply not good enough.

And please, the Islanders are in the post season because the East is a mess this year. You're right when you say if you suck long enough you'll have a good core, but that's inevitable with all the talent coming through your system. My point was that that's not enough to have a competitive team. This is exactly what the kings did, and hopefully what the leafs will continue to do even without Burke. Trading for 2 huge impact players that were necessary for even making the playoffs.
Objectivity is not your strong suit. So the Isles only make the post season because of the shortened season? Okay. And the Leafs? A well built team thanks to Burke just a couple of players away from being a force. Sure. You know the Isles are taking the mighty Penguins to task don't you? You know the Isles are led by John Tavares. One of the best young #1 C in hockey don't you? Maybe you don't based on your posts.

Look...stop with the nonsense. Fools on this board were mocking teams like LA and the Isles and now the Oilers and the Avs...for drafting high without results. Matter of time. Of course you have to surround your great young players with wily vets that can lead them to greatness. But that is exactly what the Leafs have lacked and still do. Weak down the middle..weak on D. Finally getting the goaltending. (no thanks to your hero GM)... Decent coach (for a change...can be attributed to your hero GM).

How far do you seriously think a team can go in the gruelling NHL playoffs with Bozak, Grabovski, Kadri and McClement? Thats pretty weak.

Not gonna slam Kadri because I believe he will be fine. McClement is your #3 going forward (perfect #3 C...not effin Bozak like I have heard for 4 years now)...Then after those two guys...its a big black hole.

Burke acquired 50 defencemen while he was in charge (or so it seems) and the D core still sucks. Even with the fleecing of Calgary for the mighty captain. Maybe when Gardiner and Reilly are running the show...it will be a different story. But right now? Its the team's weakest area.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:52 AM
N4Z3M LUPUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post

this is the best part, especially since jvr is so young and will only get better.

oh and he was born to play in the playoffs

N4Z3M LUPUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:08 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post

In what world is Lupul a 1B?

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:11 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
In what world is Lupul a 1B?
Where every team has an Ovechkin or Kovalchuk.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote