HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBS Sports: Panthers to host 2015 or 2016 NHL draft

Old
05-15-2013, 01:38 PM
FrolikFan67

vCash: 500
CBS Sports: Panthers to host 2015 or 2016 NHL draft

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...new-scoreboard

"The Florida Panthers lobbied Broward County for funds to install a new scoreboard at BB&T Center on Tuesday and were successful. With the new scoreboard the franchise will also get the NHL Entry Draft in a couple of years, CBSSports.com has confirmed.

As part of their pitch to the county for the bond, the Panthers presented a list of events (acquired by the Miami Herald) that would come to the arena with a new scoreboard. At the top of the list was the draft in 2014, 2015 or 2016. A league source confirmed the NHL committed to bringing the draft to Florida in the near future if the new scoreboard is installed.

Since the 2014 draft is already scheduled to take place in Philadelphia, it means Florida will host the draft in either 2015 or 2016. The Panthers held the draft at their arena in Sunrise in 1999.

In addition to getting the draft, the source said there is also a chance the NHL All-Star Game will come to Florida, though the Panthers were given no guarantees. From the sounds of it, though, you can expect that Florida will be the host to the NHL's best relatively soon --certainly after Columbus gets its game.

BB&T Center is owned by Broward County but the Panthers pay for arena maintenance. The expense for a new scoreboard was a bit more than they could handle so they turned to the county for help with the promise of these events as a carrot. There were other events too, such as a Jehova's Witnesses gathering that were said to come only with a new scoreboard.

From a hockey perspective, a new scoreboard was definitely needed. The current one has been there as long as the arena and from NHL standards is well below par."

considering the draft has been my favorite thing for years, i.am.ecstatic! i cant wait for this if true!

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:45 PM
gudzilla

how do they actually build a scoreboard? are there complete moulds or does it take weeks or even months to order and build it?

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:59 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dej View Post
how do they actually build a scoreboard? are there complete moulds or does it take weeks or even months to order and build it?
They are selecting a vendor supposedly by the end of the week. It apparently will be ready by middle of Sept so I assume it will take a few months before its installed. Keep in mind also that the control room for the scoreboard is also being updated so that requires some labor & equipment to do so.

As far as the draft goes, I think we probably will get the draft in 2016 seeing as there are probably a few teams that were already in the queue that have missed out previously. Then it'll be 15 yrs since the last draft (2001) was held in South FL so it makes sense to me to do it in 2016.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Killerinstinct

vCash: 50
Would like to see all-star game in BB&T center. Could they even get sell out crowd for that?

Killerinstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:26 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettu View Post
Would like to see all-star game in BB&T center. Could they even get sell out crowd for that?
sofla is nice enough to get people to travel down for vacational reasons too IMO. if columbus can sell it out, florida can.

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
They did the last time it was here...

Was an awesome event...

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Killerinstinct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
They did the last time it was here...

Was an awesome event...
Ok. Just asked because there wasn't sell out crowd even in playoffs last year.

Killerinstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:09 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
What are you talking about? Two games were at 101% capacity, one at 100%, and the other at 99.3%. They did fine with attendance in the playoffs, and will do again the next time they are in.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

Quote:
What??? The games were sellouts. More than 19,000 each home game.

Howboutthempanthers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:48 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
If you are going to come on our board, please at least know what your talking about for gods sake.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:42 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Dude, even if NO locals went to see the game it would still sell out! Hockey fans from all over North America would be chomping at the bit to spend some time in sunny SoFlo in the middle of winter. Not to mention all the snowbirds and vacationers who are here every year anyway.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 06:57 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I went in 2003 and every entrance had a huge line of people waiting to get in. Thinking that they couldn't sell out an All-Star game is just an absurd notion.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 07:16 PM
PanthersHockey1
The Ring of Fire

i would love to see either the draft or all star game live, never got the chance first time around.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:26 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
i would love to see either the draft or all star game live, never got the chance first time around.
Was at the draft, and I also was lucky enough to work the All-Star game with my mom. I still have the All-Star jerseys they gave out for the volunteers. I was offered some money for mine, but it wasnt worth selling.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:20 AM
CoolburnIsGone

As far as the All-Star game goes, there are at least 3 teams already ahead of us in line (Columbus obviously already mentioned as one). Also keep in mind that there are 2 Olympics in the next 5 yrs and that means no All-Star games those yrs. Also factor in that the 100 yr anniversary of the league will be in 4 yrs so expect that All-Star game to be somewhere significantly more important than Sunrise. So we wont be getting the All-Star game for at least 6-7 yrs at the earliest, most likely we're in line about 8 yrs from now.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:46 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
As far as the All-Star game goes, there are at least 3 teams already ahead of us in line (Columbus obviously already mentioned as one). Also keep in mind that there are 2 Olympics in the next 5 yrs and that means no All-Star games those yrs. Also factor in that the 100 yr anniversary of the league will be in 4 yrs so expect that All-Star game to be somewhere significantly more important than Sunrise. So we wont be getting the All-Star game for at least 6-7 yrs at the earliest, most likely we're in line about 8 yrs from now.
Just in time for an even newer scoreboard!!!!

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

I did have the opportunity to go to the 2001 Draft, which was cool and all since I got the opportunity to see Stephen Weiss drafted in front of mostly home fans.

However, I never did get the opportunity to go to the Allstar Game or Skills Competition. I would absolutely love to do that the next time it comes to Sunrise.

I did partake the festivities outside and there's were tons of thousands of people from all over North America sporting just about every NHL jersey out there. I remember having to park on the opposite of Sawgrass Mills, walk through the mall, and across the street to the arena because parking was insane. To say that it didn't sell out or won't couldn't be further away.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Eggblag
#1 Fanthers Pan!

I was also at the last all star game in sunrise. It was a fun weekend. Lots to do outside the arena as well. It was a blast to party with all the different fans. The ducks fans brought duck callers and blew them whenever Paul Kariya touched the puck. The loudest fans were the Blackhawks fans chanting for Thibault the entire period he played. There was a shoot out and Dany Heatley was sick.

The only thing that brought the weekend down a notch was the space shuttle Columbia burned up during re entry that day.

It was a full house for sure!

Eggblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 06:13 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Kneading Goals View Post
I was also at the last all star game in sunrise. It was a fun weekend. Lots to do outside the arena as well. It was a blast to party with all the different fans. The ducks fans brought duck callers and blew them whenever Paul Kariya touched the puck. The loudest fans were the Blackhawks fans chanting for Thibault the entire period he played. There was a shoot out and Dany Heatley was sick.

The only thing that brought the weekend down a notch was the space shuttle Columbia burned up during re entry that day.

I remember when they made that announcement the place went nuts! Definitely a great weekend. The only thing negative I remember was after the skills competition, we tried to go back to the merchandise tents (it was 9:30 and they were supposed to close at 10:00) but they didn't let us go back in. People were freaking out and my Dad told security to get Bettman on the phone.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Cosmonaut

This is slightly disappointing news as we'll have the 30th overall pick those years.

Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Great8Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
This is slightly disappointing news as we'll have the 30th overall pick those years.
True, but Tallon will be able to trade his Rocket Richard winner and Conn Smythe winner - Scottie Upshall - to move up to the 2nd pick.

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:42 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8Cam View Post
True, but Tallon will be able to trade his Rocket Richard winner and Conn Smythe winner - Scottie Upshall - to move up to the 2nd pick.
Is that some new inside info you know of

Old
05-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Parise9Crosby87

i would go

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:46 AM
Rats96Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Was at the draft, and I also was lucky enough to work the All-Star game with my mom. I still have the All-Star jerseys they gave out for the volunteers. I was offered some money for mine, but it wasnt worth selling.
HA! Yeah, I got my first one confiscated cause I got Rick Nash to sign it, I didn't think they were serious, but they took it and gave me another, which I still have also. I worked at the speed puck where they clocked your shot. I remember Craig Minnervini had the fastest shot through my line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Kneading Goals View Post

The other controversial thing that weekend was the Ozolinsh trade and whether he would play for the East or not. Leave it to the Panthers to mar such an event!

Rats96Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:18 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 50000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Is that some new inside info you know of
Inb4 Eklund has this as his "news".

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote