*OFFICIAL* Saginaw Spirit 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Saginaw Spirit 2013-14 Season Thread

Time to look ahead to what the Spirit will do in the offseason.

I'm not going to throw out a roster projection until after tomorrow's OHL draft, but here's a quick list of players that could make up next year's team:

Players from this past season
Jimmy Lodge
Eric Locke (OA)
Dalton Young (OA)
Steven Strong (OA)
David Perklin
Andrey Alexeev
Justin Kea
Nathan Glass
Zach Bratina
Dylan Sadowy
Grant Webermin
Ramon Lopez
Nikita Serebryakov
Jeremiah Addison
Brandon Lindberg
Nick Moutrey
Jake Paterson
Jacob Ringuette
Terry Trafford
Marselis Subban
Brandon Prophet

Players from 2012 draft
Kris Bennett
Trevor Abbott
Brandon Lukezic

NCAA Prospects
J.T. Compher
Ian McCoshen
Mark Jankowski
Boo Nieves

----------------------------------------

-Of the NCAA guys, I don't think Nieves will report. I'd give Janko about a 33% chance he shows up just because he's a first rounder. The other two are interesting because they are both possible first rounders in this year's NHL draft. Depending on who drafts them, we could see one of them. But don't count on it.

-I think all three of the guys from the 2012 draft I listed will see some time next year. Maybe 30 games at least for each of them.

-We got alot of extra early picks and not alot of room for incoming players. Look for at least one really big deal to get done this offseaon. I think we're buyers this year.

-Can't wait to see how the draft plays out tomorrow.

Last edited by Kingpin794: 04-05-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old
04-05-2013, 09:36 PM
BigBuck

Did you forget Brandon Prophet?

Old
04-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

I did forget Prophet. Thanks for catching that BigBuck.

Fixed my original post.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Sonny Crockett

Looks like the D will be getting a lot younger and inexperienced, interesting. I don't see a lot of current D men returning including Young, Strong and Webermin. I get the feeling that Lopez will not be moved, instead they will use him as a forward and give him the ice time to develop.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
Looks like the D will be getting a lot younger and inexperienced, interesting. I don't see a lot of current D men returning including Young, Strong and Webermin. I get the feeling that Lopez will not be moved, instead they will use him as a forward and give him the ice time to develop.
I'm interested to hear why you think Strong won't be back. Young I get with how he got left out in the last game (would be tough to replace) and Webermin makes sense too because of his injury history. But why Strong?

Old
04-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Alright here's my VERY early and VERY rough roster projection for next year:

Lodge-Kea-Locke
Trafford-Bratina-Moutrey
Stephens-Lindberg-Alexeev
Addison-Sadowy-???

Rest of Forwards= 2 out of group of: Perklin, Bennett, Jankowski (would move up to first line center)

Strong-???
Prophet-???
???-???

Rest of D= 6 out of group of: Young, Orban, Abbott, Lukezic, Holmes, Crawford, Ringuette, Glass, Trade (If Young doesn't return)

Paterson
Serebryakov
--------------------------------

-Yes I know my second line projection has three guys that haven't played center but If you go back to the season thread I spell out why that line might work

-I left alot of openings, especially on D. It's still really hard to tell what the back end will look like right now until I see who and how many guys from both this and last year's draft get signed.

-Its weird for me to pencil in Addison on the fourth line, but unless someone gets moved I can't see who he'd be moving ahead of. That's not to say he doesn't have the talent to play up a line or two. It's just very raw talent at this point. Reminds me alot of Trafford in that he has alot of potential but we might not start to really see him do something with it for maybe 2 years.

Last edited by Kingpin794: 04-12-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 09:28 AM
bcspragu

Kingpin,

Here's my early stab at next years line up:

Lodge-Locke-Alexeev
Bratina-Kea-Moutrey
Addison-Lindberg-Stephens
Trafford-Sadowy-Traded for physical player ala Sutch potentially O/A if Young is gone

Perklin/Lopez

Prophet-Strong
Webermin-Orban
Ringette-Holmes

Subban/Abbott or Crawford

Paterson
Serebryakov

1st PP

Lodge-Locke-Alexeev
Prophet-Strong

2nd pp

Bratina-Kea-Moutrey
Holmes-Orban

1st PK

Kea-Moutrey
Strong-Prophet

2nd PK

Locke-Stephens
Webermin-Orban

Old
04-08-2013, 11:19 AM
WingsSpirit

Here is mine, with what we currently have:

Lodge – Kea – Locke
Alexeev – Lindberg – Moutrey
Bratina – Stephens – Addison
Trafford – Sadowy – Perklin

Bennett/Lopez/One of Bales, Carter, McPhail or Rajic

Strong – Young
Prophet – Ringuette
Webermin – Orban

Holmes/Glass/Subban/Crawford/Abbott

If Perklin works on it, he can fill that Sutch void, but he has to want to…

Otherwise I think he and/or Trafford could be traded. Keep hearing these Young trade rumors, but things can change in an off-season. I could see one of he or Strong being moved, but I’d also like some veterans on that blue line. I think Glass, Subban and of course Lopez are also possible trade candidates.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:41 PM
willy29

Just started to follow this team because of a recent midget draft pick. Can you breakdown the forwards and what type of player there are? Thx.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:56 PM
hockeyohl

This is my take I disagree some

Lodge - Kea - Locke
Trafford - Bratina - Moutrey
Alexeev - Lindberg- Stephens
Addison - Sadowy - Lopez

Bennet/Perklin/Carter

??????-Profhet-next year will be his draft year and they will want to showcase him.
Ringette - Glass
????? - Orban

Holmes/Subban/Caford/Addott

Paterson
?????
Young and Strong are unknow if they are coming back and Webermin to many injurys

I would think that the GM knows what he is looking for and there will be alot of trades
in the off season. I look forward to seeing how all this plays out.

Last edited by hockeyohl: 04-08-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
Just started to follow this team because of a recent midget draft pick. Can you breakdown the forwards and what type of player there are? Thx.
Eric Locke- Spark plug. A little on the small side but makes up for it by going 110% all the time. Great PP and PK guy. Just as good a goal scorer as he is a set up man.

Jimmy Lodge- Dynamic offensive talent. Deceptive speed. Great puck handler, and not afraid to go to the net in spite on his lack of bulk.

Justin Kea- Strong 2 way forward. Very very sound defensively. Always in great postion. A+ PK man. Developing offensively well. Still working on his work with the puck.

Zach Bratina- Future playmaker. Smooth skater and good vision. Going to be a great set up guy for a few years. Shot needs a little work.

Nick Moutrey- Power Forward. Great along the boards, and when he plays physically he does well. Could be really hard to stop if his develops a little more offensively.

Terry Trafford- Speedster. A guy you could play from lines 2 to 4 depending on what you need him to do. Great on the PK. Always seems to be on the verge of breaking out but yet to do so.

Brandon Lindberg- Two way forward. He's got a nice scoring touch. Plays with a little bit of physicality too.

Andrey Alexeev- Playmaker. Another guy with good vision. Actually put up pretty good numbers for never seeing top 6 top time this past season. Probably a good PP choice next year.

Jeremiah Addison- Future goal scorer. Alot of potential but still very raw. Might be the 2014-15 season before we see him really break out.

David Perklin- Grinder. Greg Sutch type player. Look for the hits from him. Not a guy you look for to produce the offense though. Good depth piece.

Dylan Sadowy- Two way forward. Good hustle player. For a 6 foot 2 guy, you never really see him play like it. I could see him ending up like a Kea 2.0 down the road.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:24 AM
willy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
Eric Locke- Spark plug. A little on the small side but makes up for it by going 110% all the time. Great PP and PK guy. Just as good a goal scorer as he is a set up man.

Jimmy Lodge- Dynamic offensive talent. Deceptive speed. Great puck handler, and not afraid to go to the net in spite on his lack of bulk.

Justin Kea- Strong 2 way forward. Very very sound defensively. Always in great postion. A+ PK man. Developing offensively well. Still working on his work with the puck.

Zach Bratina- Future playmaker. Smooth skater and good vision. Going to be a great set up guy for a few years. Shot needs a little work.

Nick Moutrey- Power Forward. Great along the boards, and when he plays physically he does well. Could be really hard to stop if his develops a little more offensively.

Terry Trafford- Speedster. A guy you could play from lines 2 to 4 depending on what you need him to do. Great on the PK. Always seems to be on the verge of breaking out but yet to do so.

Brandon Lindberg- Two way forward. He's got a nice scoring touch. Plays with a little bit of physicality too.

Andrey Alexeev- Playmaker. Another guy with good vision. Actually put up pretty good numbers for never seeing top 6 top time this past season. Probably a good PP choice next year.

Jeremiah Addison- Future goal scorer. Alot of potential but still very raw. Might be the 2014-15 season before we see him really break out.

David Perklin- Grinder. Greg Sutch type player. Look for the hits from him. Not a guy you look for to produce the offense though. Good depth piece.

Dylan Sadowy- Two way forward. Good hustle player. For a 6 foot 2 guy, you never really see him play like it. I could see him ending up like a Kea 2.0 down the road.
Thanks for the breakdown...very informative...

Old
04-09-2013, 01:25 PM
bcspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
The rookie mini camp will be the last weekend in April IIRC and is open to the public in case you were interested.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:12 PM
bcspirit

Congratulations to former Spirit captain Garret Ross on signing his ELC with the Blackhawks today, good luck in Rockford.

Old
04-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

On Ross's first shift of his first pro game, he gets into a fight and breaks his nose.

Got to love it. Way to make a debut Garret.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

A little update:

In last week or so Saginaw has signed Mitchell Stephens and Ryan Orban. Also Andrey Alexeev, Nikitia Serebryakov, and prospect J.T. Compher have competed in the U-18 world championships. Serebryakov has played 5 minutes and stoped all 5 shots he's faced. Alexeev has one assist and Compher has 2 goals and 4 assists so far.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Spirit draft picks that will be playing in this year's OHL Gold Cup:

F-Christian Rajic (208th overall, Team GTHL Red)
F-Mitchell Stephens (8th overall, Team GTHL Red)
D-Chase Stewart (188th overall, Team HNO)
D-Ryan Orban (23rd overall, Team ODHA)
D-Marcus Crawford (44th overall, Team OMHA Black)

EDIT:

Add F-Adam McPhail (Team NOHA) and D-Michael Holmes (Team ODHA) to the list of Spirit reps to make a total of 7.

Last edited by Kingpin794: 04-24-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old
04-28-2013, 01:06 PM
bcspragu

Had nothing going on this morning so I went to the Spirit rookie camp scrimmage. I figured I would do a little write up on a couple of guys I thought stood out.

Defense

Ryan Orban- Has an solid OHL body build already. But he is SLLLLOOOWWWW, and will need to be paired with a defense-man that is a good skater (Crawford worked well in the scrimmage with him). However, what impressed me was his physicality. It was a scrimmage so of course there was limited hitting and physical play but he stood out. Wasn't afraid to get physical in the corners and clear out the front of the net and get after guys. I cant wait to see him play in an actual game because his toughness is going to be fun to watch. I can see him lighting guys up on the regular when he comes to Saginaw.

Marcus Crawford- Was one of my favorite defense-man playing today (although I am a sucker for good offensive defense-man). Had good wheels for a dman and did an excellent job bringing the puck up the ice on the rush. Made good solid passes and while only letting it go a couple times has an excellent wrist shot. Very Dalton Young like player in my opinion.

Michael Holmes- I had read a scouting report about Holmes when he was drafted that said he is the kind of player that will be invisible on the ice for long periods of time (in the best way possible, i.e no mistakes). That was spot on today. I had to keep consciously thinking where is Holmes at I havent seen him in a while. But when I was watching I was impressed. He plays positionally sound and did an excellent job staying between the puck carrier and the goalie. He has a active stick and did a great job of poke checking the puck away from the attacking player and start a rush the other way. I think he has a solid OHL career in front of him.

Trevor Abbott- Good sized kid (although small compared to Orban) who played a solid two way game. Had a good shot from the point and could be a solid defense-man if given ice time. However, really didn't stand out compared to the previously mentioned 3 and is a year older.

Matthew Scott- I had to look this kid up to see where he was drafted (2013 draft 228th overall) because I didn't remember us taking him. The only kid out there that could compete with Orban in size. Rough now but watch out a couple of years down the line if he puts things together.

Forwards

Mitchell Stephens- This kid is going to be special. Bigger than I thought he was going to be and really liked to hit and played with energy. I thought it was interesting they were working him at center over wing considering we already have solid 2-4 line centers unless Kea is moving to the first and he slots in on the second. Has a hard shot which made a noticeably louder thump on the boards than anyone else's. What makes this kid special is his skating. He made a play when he was one on one with a defense-man then he flipped the puck behind the dman, shifted into another gear, and skated around the kid like he was standing still. Should have had an easy goal in the second half by playing smart and sneaking to the front of the net and unleashed a hellish shot to the top right corner but was flat out robbed by an amazing glove save by Boyko that earned stick taps from the all the players.

#43- I can not remember this kids names for the life of me (my best guess is Conner Graham from last years class). He played on the wing with Stephens and wore 43 I believe and wore a bright red set a hockey pants. The kid could absolutely fly out there and had a set of hands to match. Never paid attention to his defensive game but he was an offensive highlight. Even tried a Bertuzzi spin-o-rama in the shootout but was stopped by Boyko.

Kris Bennett- Looked like the kid that we seen in the couple of game call up last year. He seemed like he is quicker than fast and has a decent offensive repertoire. Definitely think he has a chance of making the club this season.

Christian Rajic- Small kid (Saginaw has him at 5-8 148) but has serious skill. If he was 6 foot and 170 he would have been a round 1-2 pick. If he gets any bigger he could be an absolute steal a couple of years from now.

Goalies

Josh Boyko- Small kid with some good skill. Will struggle at this level though because of his size. Shut out Stephan's team when he got to play in the second half and stopped all but two in the penalty shootout. Robbed Stephan's with a glove save when he was dead to rights right in the slot. Impressed to learn his goals against average was only 1.10 last season with the Marboros. The kind of kid I love to root for.

David Ovsjannikov- First off, this kid is not the 6-3 that the Spirit have him listed at on their prospects page. 6-5 is probably closer to being correct and he looks taller for reference his waist was only inches below the crossbar when standing. Looked very similar to Dekort from Windsor in net. Made some good saves and the goals he let in weren't necessarily his fault. Will need to work on his rebound control but will have plenty of time doing so with Paterson and Nikita currently in net. I'm probably more excited to see him 2-3 years down the road than anyone else on the roster not named Stephens or Addison

Old
04-29-2013, 11:28 AM
willy29

thanks bcspragu for the update.

I am sure you saw this article? http://www.mlive.com/spirit/index.ss...l#incart_river

Old
04-29-2013, 12:18 PM
bcspragu

I did get a chance to read that. Good article and pretty much sums up some of what I was trying to say

Old
05-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

I know he didn't finish the season with us but congrats to one the Saginaw greats, Vincent Trocheck, on winning the Red Tilson today.

I will NEVER remember him as a member of that other team. He will always be a Spirit to me.

Old
05-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

The signing of Crawford today clears up the D picture alittle. The way I see it there is one starting spot open and 5 guys from that could be there. My early guess is that Ringuette is the one that gets the starting spot. So the D would look like this.

Strong-Young/Trade
Prophet-Ringuette
Rookie Rotation
Extras-Third Rookie not being used and ??

Old
05-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Jimmy Lodge invited to NHL draft combine.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...to-nhl-combine

Old
05-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
The signing of Crawford today clears up the D picture alittle. The way I see it there is one starting spot open and 5 guys from that could be there. My early guess is that Ringuette is the one that gets the starting spot. So the D would look like this.

Strong-Young/Trade
Prophet-Ringuette
Rookie Rotation
Extras-Third Rookie not being used and ??
What about 2 96 draftees Abbott or Lukezic making the team, no?

Old
05-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
What about 2 96 draftees Abbott or Lukezic making the team, no?
Yeah I think they could. I still left one spot open for the eigth spot. If Subban or any of the 19 year olds (Ringuette, Glass, Webermin) aren't kept, then yes I could see one of them making the team in that bottom pairing rotation.

Closed Thread