HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Tradition?

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 08:34 AM

vCash: 500
New Tradition?

On the Coyotes site forum, someone mentioned changing the tradition from the White Out to the Bloodbath, given the home jersey changes to red this season.

Discuss.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:47 AM
gibber1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
On the Coyotes site forum, someone mentioned changing the tradition from the White Out to the Bloodbath, given the home jersey changes to red this season.

Discuss.
Bad idea, the white-out is incredible to see!!

Old
09-25-2003, 11:11 AM
Straydog

vCash:
Summarizing the general consensus of all the postings on all the boards, it’s a coin flip for us to make the playoffs. Why in heck would we propose a new tradition that may not occur? The white out is a tremendous link to the Jets fans that deserve credit for starting the most widely recognized playoff spectacle in hockey (besides the cup, I mean). To even suggest replacing the white out is like saying I’m divorcing my wife because she dyed her hair. The Coyotes have two established traditions, Gretzke and White Out, the only other one we need is winning…………..I’m embarrassed that I took the time to respond to such a dumb idea!

Old
09-25-2003, 11:26 AM

Embarrassed? I'm embarrassed for you that you take it that seriously.

Anyway, I think I like the White Out better, the tradition is unmatchable, but I found the topic interesting. I don't think the Coyotes would sponsor a "Bloodbath" because they are likely going for a family friendly environment. Someone mentioned that the new seats in the arena are red, making it harder for the White Out effect, which is null in my opinion.

I did mention I would like to see the Coyotes sponsor more White Out events though, especially given that we could go a few years out of the playoffs conceivably. Not meaningless events, but maybe National TV games, or major games against rivals or something.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:03 PM
Hordichuk_24

A blood bath would sound good to me!!!!

Old
09-25-2003, 12:30 PM
PhoPhan

Terrible idea.
The white-out is incredible, and is one of the very few lasting ties to the Jets. It is one of the few things that make the Coyotes unique.

About your point of the seats being red: What color are they at AWA? Even if they are red, they'll still look white as long as someone is sitting in them in a white shirt.

If you look out into the stands and see a sea of red, you're just going ot assume the Red Wings are in town again .

I also disagree that the White-Out should be staged outside of playoff games. You can't beat it to death.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:44 PM
ulf

i was always a fan of the white out. but blood bath has a nice ring to it.

either one should be used more often as you say for nationally televised
games or the grand opening of the new arena.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:54 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulf
i was always a fan of the white out. but blood bath has a nice ring to it.

either one should be used more often as you say for nationally televised
games or the grand opening of the new arena.
Those events, maybe.

How about keep the White-out for the playoff games, but for stuff like national televisation and a grand opening, they start to incorporate the bloodbath. Eventually, the more popular one will take over, or will stay with one in the regular season, and one in the playoffs.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Those events, maybe.

How about keep the White-out for the playoff games, but for stuff like national televisation and a grand opening, they start to incorporate the bloodbath. Eventually, the more popular one will take over, or will stay with one in the regular season, and one in the playoffs.
I must say that I prefer this idea above overall. We only get 1-2 National TV games a year, so it's not like we are overloaded with it. And of course the new home opener is cool for it as well.

I like the idea of keeping with tradition, yet offering up an alternative to it. Heck, I don't care if some of the red is from the Red Wings, if it's in Phoenix it will be prodominantly Coyote!

The seats are a non-factor like I said earlier, but someone else did mention them.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
This might simply be because away teams are wearing white this year so the Coyotes will wear red at home.

In any case, I still think the uniform change is done to blend the Wings jerseys in with the home fans now.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:07 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
The seats are a non-factor like I said earlier, but someone else did mention them.
yeah, AWA isnt called the Purple Palace for no reason.

Bloodbath? Perhaps, although I wish we had the physical play to match the name.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:15 PM
hbk

the name sounds good but the logistics behind having everyone dress in red is a lot harder to coordinate than it is white. How many red shirts do you have in your closet versus white? It's as simple as that.

I've seen other teams try the "red out" and it usually ends up being about 50% red, 20% white, 20% black, etc. It looks absolutely horrible as all the other colors but red stand out. Trust me, stick to the white out.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:23 PM
Hordichuk_24

The white out would be pretty stupid now if we are wearing red. It would look like everyone is cheering for the visiting team. My vote definitely goes for the "blood bath".

Old
09-25-2003, 03:25 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
The white out would be pretty stupid now if we are wearing red. It would look like everyone is cheering for the visiting team. My vote definitely goes for the "blood bath".
Of course when we wear white the dark team wins (well the series anyways). That's reason enough to wear white.

Old
09-25-2003, 03:54 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
Hordi, you don't just have that skull so that the opposing goons can try and fracture it, the other reason is 'cause it holds your BRAIN! YES, your BRAIN!!!

It will not appear as if "everyone is cheering for the visiting team", when:

-you take into consideration, that EVERY NHL player (and most hockey fans in the world) has/have heard about the whiteout tradition

-the fans at the new arena make noise when appropriate

-the organization (and local media) is able to market the whiteout as the unique, fantastic spectacle that it is

IMHO, this is THE last tie to the 'Peg days. If it goes - so does the tie to the franchise called Winnipeg Jets.

Also, a lot of professional sports franchises never develop such a unique custom. Others would be glad if they could have something like the whiteout. WHY IN THE HELL WOULD THE COYOTES LET IT DIE?!

I guess, I would have to agree with the people that want to change it to 'blood bath' because of this franchise' lasting troubles in the first round of the playoffs.

No, seriously, I would not take my seven year old son to a playoff game promoted as a 'blood bath' - for obvious reasons. There should be a few more people like me out there...

Dancin' Gabe rules!

Old
09-25-2003, 04:01 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
Of course when we wear white the dark team wins (well the series anyways). That's reason enough to wear white.
LOL, good point.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Hordichuk_24

Matzel-

I understand what you're saying and I agree. I was just pointing out the obvious. No need to go into so much depth there.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:07 PM
ulf

i like pho's take but think the white is too unique to mess with. blood bath although cute is not a serious promotional tool...or politically correct.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:25 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulf
blood bath although cute is not a serious promotional tool...or politically correct.
Exactly why it is a good idea.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:12 PM
XX
Lots of Try

All we need is something like the tomahawk song for the Braves

and we can all scream KILL KILL KILL!

Old
09-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
All we need is something like the tomahawk song for the Braves

and we can all scream KILL KILL KILL!
Not a bad idea at all.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:19 AM
Let'sGoCoyotes

vCash:
Anyone remember the year when the Coyotes Whiteout proved so exciting, that the Suns tried to pull off the "Orange Aid?" Ugh! Keep the Whiteout, it's a great and easy way to fire up the fans and it honors the franchise history in Winnipeg. Plus...c'mon, "Bloodbath?" Do you really want to see the Coyotes ripped to shreds by every columnist and media outlet in North America? Try doing a search for "Loaded Weapon," the new Converse shoe that was just released to get an idea.

Old
09-30-2003, 07:01 PM
Lam7825
Go Goldy Go!

keep the Whiteout. might as well schedule it for Dec 27th Opening Night, to guarantee at least one Whiteout this season :p

seems to me I suggested calling it a "bloodbath" in a post over a month ago. you all stole my idea. lousy marketing tool though- almost as bad as those bland uniforms. stick to what works- the Whiteout, that is. no one does it better than this organization...kudos to fans in Winny and Phx for pulling it off. others have tried (Anaheim, Carolina that I can recall) and it didn't work as well. can't mess with the original.

now, if Wayne and Co. had kept the old coyote colors, you all could have gone to purple- as in Purple Haze. wouldn't that be cool? just a thought............

Lauri in Tacoma

Closed Thread