Jagr in no hurry to hang 'em up
Bruins winger feels he has a few more good seasons left in his 41-year-old legs

Pierre LeBrun profile.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Patrice37

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patrice37
I normally stay away from ESPN hockey articles but that one is actually a pretty good read.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:39 PM
westernhome

hopefully we can sign him next year

Old
05-07-2013, 07:49 PM
mobileusa

I was impressed by his play last game. He needs more playing time

Old
05-07-2013, 07:56 PM
BubbaBoot

Unless Soderberg has a complete meltdown and Horton goes elsewhere, I don't see him resigning...unless Chia plans to use him as bait come deadline time. Maybe a one yr deal for short dough, but who knows? Let's get him jacked for these playoffs in the meantime.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:13 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
He'll likely get the same contract Dallas gave him this year. Ain't gonna happen here.

05-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
He'll likely get the same contract Dallas gave him this year. Ain't gonna happen here.
Could see it happen if they don't re-sign Horton, which they frankly shouldn't.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

[/I]"For me, it's more special if I can help to make somebody else happy, or the fans, or my teammates who have never won it," the Boston Bruins winger told a large media throng Tuesday. "That's what I enjoy more."[/I]

Only Redden, Hamilton and to an extend Rask fits the bill here. And people voted for the Leafs in the poll... Shame on them.

One defenseman Jagr no longer has to battle is Zdeno Chara … a fact he's thankful for. The two stars are central figures for their native countries, the Czechs and Slovaks of course being big-time rivals on the ice.

"He's half Czech; you probably didn't know that," Jagr said. "I didn't know that, either. His father is Czech.

"But I'm happy I'm on his side. He's the toughest guy to play against. I played so many years against him, he was always matched up against me. I had a tough time playing against him. Finally I'm happy to play on his side. He's the key of our success. If we're going to have any success, he's the key reason."

Jagr is just Chara. Physical freaks. So glad we got Chara and would be happy if Chia can get Jagr to come back next year. As well as Horton.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Curls13

I like the intangibles this guy brings. The work ethic, & commitment off the ice, it's a good thing for some of the younger guys to see & hopefully emulate. Based on his play, i wouldn't hesitate resigning him, think he could easily have another good year or 2 left.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:23 AM
tom nuetten

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
hopefully we can sign him next year
hope we don´t... he will be "expensive" and I´m not that impressed because he doesn´t fit our system...

I like his skills but he had bad games with us and hold on to the puck way too long

Old
05-08-2013, 10:27 AM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom nuetten View Post
hope we don´t... he will be "expensive" and I´m not that impressed because he doesn´t fit our system...

I like his skills but he had bad games with us and hold on to the puck way too long
Not that it's a good thing to have a hole in your top 9 forwards, but I sort of like the idea of not spending right to the cap in the off season because you use the regular season as a tryout for fringe guys like Caron and Bourque and then you have the flexibility to go out and fill your greatest need at the deadline.

Granted, Caron and Bourque didn't pan out, but if they had then suddenly you can use your cap space/LTIR to go out and get another defenseman or something. Of course, things are going to be very tight next season with the raises for Lucic and Seguin kicking in, plus having to give Rask a raise and possibly re-signing or finding his replacement.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:35 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Blows my mind how people are saying they wouldn't take Jagr back next season.

Was he not the Bruins best offensive player in their last 10 games (as soon as he arrived)? Did he not score at a PPG pace for that time?

He brings a whole different level to this team. He is (even now) an elite offensive talent. He thinks the game differently than any other Bruin.

To say you wouldn't take him back next year is foolish.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:37 AM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post

Was he not the Bruins best offensive player in their last 10 games (as soon as he arrived)? Did he not score at a PPG pace for that time?

He brings a whole different level to this team. He is (even now) an elite offensive talent. He thinks the game differently than any other Bruin.

Who are you letting walk/buying out?

Old
05-08-2013, 10:38 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post

Call me a fool then.

Not totally against him returning, but would all depend on the $$$ and whomever else becomes available after all the buyouts. He's good, but I'm not sure of his role here.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:46 AM
flannelman
goodbye.

I'd want Jagr back, but it does depends on the $. We'll all have more serious threads about this topic after the playoffs, but I'd rather have Jagr over Kelly/Spooner and sometimes Horton.

He's not what he once was, but I like him here.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

The issue is he'll get the money he did on the Dallas deal and he'll take it. I know he said he's wanted to play for a Canadian team so I wouldn't be surprised if he went up North to a team.

I'd like to see him stay, but with the cap going down and some other contracts to look at, I don't see it happening. If Horton was still laying an egg right now, into the playoffs, then there may be more serious talk on it, however, clearly that's not the case.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:54 AM
smithformeragent

What happens when some scoring starved team offers Horton $5M a year and Jagr gets offered 1 year @ $4.25M?

Old
05-08-2013, 10:55 AM
theswede2013

I think Chi has his formula for team success. One part of it is that cagey forward veteran with skill. Rechi held that role for a while. The off season will be interesting. I don't want to think about until after we win the CUP!!! Let's go Bruins!

Old
05-08-2013, 11:05 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Could see it happen if they don't re-sign Horton, which they frankly shouldn't.
This is my opinion as well.

Obviously Horton's playoff success is a monkeywrench but you have to consider his regular season inconsistencies and his concussion issues. If some team offers him $5 and multiple seasons, I would never match that. In that case I'd offer Jagr similar money for 1 year.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:07 AM
QC
Visionary.

A re-signed Jagr = a happy Krejci, fwiw

Old
05-08-2013, 11:44 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Who are you letting walk/buying out?
Not too up on the cap situation at the moment, but if I'm Chiarelli, barring a Conn Smythe I'm letting Horton walk. He's been good in these 3 playoff games but if the question is who would I rather have for an 82 game stretch at $4.5 million, I'm taking Jagr.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

I love Jags and wouldn't mind him being back for 1 more but the guy is all about the $$

Old
05-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Its either him or Horton in my opinion. Seeing as neither of them are apart of the "core" than I'd rather sign Jagr to a shorter term deal and let Horton go. Don't forget we have Soderberg, Spooner and Caron to fill in that last forward slot.

Lucic Krejci Jagr
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
XXX Kelly Peverley
Paille Campbell Thornton

I like Horton a lot, but with the cap structure someone has to go. Assuming Horton gets around 5 million a year for multiple years, I'd rather give that money to Jagr on a shorter term deal.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:24 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
I liked reading this in the article:

Quote:
The Bruins ask their forwards to do more than those on other teams. They must steer opposing puck carriers, backcheck fiercely, collapse in the defensive zone, and go on the attack with speed in center ice. In the Boston system, Jagr is more of a freelancer than company man.

“When we got him, the thing we wanted to see from him was to play within his strengths,” said coach Claude Julien. “He’s strong on the puck. He’s great in the offensive zone. He makes things happen. One of the things we told him was, ‘Go out and do that. Don’t worry about anything else. Just do what you do best.’ We accepted that, as an organization, he was going to come in and do that. We weren’t going to ask him to change.”
Kind of knocks the wind out of the sails of those who think the Bruins' system, and Claude specifically, are smothering Jagr's creativity by forcing him to play a more defensively-oriented game. Sounds to me like he has a free pass from the coach to play and contribute as only Jagr can.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:28 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Nor should he...Still a top 6 guy on any team not coached by Claude.

Closed Thread