HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Devan Dubnyk's effect on the youthful Oilers team

Old
05-11-2013, 05:57 PM
hlaverty06

vCash: 500
Devan Dubnyk's effect on the youthful Oilers team

This is just an outsider observation....He seems like he can be a stellar goalie in this league (has fairly decent numbers to back it up) but he has a tendency to allow soft goals in. Normally, this wouldn't really be a problem and all goalies do...BUT

The Oilers are a young team and talking from personal experience, when you're playing really hard in a game and its 2-1 or 1-0 and the game is right within reach and your goalie lets in a softy it is on eof the most deflating and hopeless feelings in the world. For a veteran team with leaders I feel like this wouldn't really be an issue but with so much youth I feel like Devan Dubnyk letting in a softy has a worse effect on a young team like the Oilers than it does on a veteran team (say Detroit, Rangers, etc.)

Not trashing Dubnyk at all, so please don't say that.

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:04 PM
missinthejets

The problem isn't Dubnyk, the problem is that Dubnyk put up good numbers overall, but the team in front of him couldn't score consistently enough. Lot of games where all that talent up front couldn't generate enough offence. No young team is going to win games 2-1 or 1-0 with any kind of regularity, they didn't get the needed offense as a team. Keeping pucks out of the net on most nights really wasn't the issue with that team.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:10 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Show Me Your TDs

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Even though I don't watch Edmonton often I see OP's point. However it seems like an odd time of year to post it. They should draft Nurse/Zadorov

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Lindo

This soft goal thing is extremely exaggerated. Dubnyk more often than not gave the Oilers a chance to win.

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:34 PM
taunting canadian

I just posted about this in the Oilers board. If the Oilers skaters are getting deflated by the odd mistake Dubnyk may make, they really need to take a look in the mirror. When the Oilers were in 8th in the West, they proceeded to run off a string of 10 games in which they scored 1 goal or less in 8 of them (losing all 8 of those games). They were also outshot in every one of those 10 games by an average margin of about 32-25. They were consistently outshot, night after night, throughout the season. It wasn't the goaltending that let the team down.

Dubnyk is not a Vezina contender or anything, but there are a lot bigger problems on the team, and if players are looking at Dubnyk (I can't say that they are, but if they are) as a justification for their poor play, I'd say that still would mean that the main problem was with them, not Dubnyk.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:00 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Dubnyk seems to make a lot of initial saves, the saves you ask your goalie to make, but the defence and forwards seem to have issues clearing the crease and the puck. Once the Oilers D gets better, Dubnyk will be one of the better tenders in the game IMO. Big fan of his.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Dubnyk is not at all the problem in any way. Unless you put in a goalie bot, every goalie lets in weak goals.

They need better defense, as well as scoring. Better coaching as well.

inb4 edmonton fans say I'm wrong, claiming none of these are the problems. Edmonton is the perfect team.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Hynh

That's a fair point OP. He was steady on the back end it's just that the goals he would allowed seemed to be the kind he should be able to stop. If he can improve on those he could be a great goalie, if not he's still a solid option in net.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:24 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
Dubnyk is not at all the problem in any way. Unless you put in a goalie bot, every goalie lets in weak goals.

They need better defense, as well as scoring. Better coaching as well.

inb4 edmonton fans say I'm wrong, claiming none of these are the problems. Edmonton is the perfect team.
Think its pretty spot on, Oilers need a top 2 guy and vet top 6, plus they need a caoch that can tighten things up in the D zone. Scoring will come with the young guns tho, no worried on that account.

Dubnyk will play a good overall game, wont steal a game, but will give you the opp to win. But each 2 games hell allow a deflating softie

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:50 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

He's not the problem, they need more size and D.

They'll only get better.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 09:55 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
I hate the Oilers as much as any civilized human being but Dubynk is probably the last issue Edmonton has to contend with. He posted the 14th best save% behind the worst shots for/against team in the league. He's fine.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

He'll do better when we don't have guys like Whitney, Potter, and the Schultzes running around aimlessly in the defensive zone.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Dubie wasn't bad this season from the limited games I saw.

He had maybe 1 game I can think of where he definitely let the club down, but thats it.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Yeah, because Dubnyk is that one goalie who allows soft goals. The teams's lack of offense is a complete manifestation of Dubnyk always allowing a soft goal.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:54 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
This is just an outsider observation....He seems like he can be a stellar goalie in this league (has fairly decent numbers to back it up) but he has a tendency to allow soft goals in. Normally, this wouldn't really be a problem and all goalies do...BUT

The Oilers are a young team and talking from personal experience, when you're playing really hard in a game and its 2-1 or 1-0 and the game is right within reach and your goalie lets in a softy it is on eof the most deflating and hopeless feelings in the world. For a veteran team with leaders I feel like this wouldn't really be an issue but with so much youth I feel like Devan Dubnyk letting in a softy has a worse effect on a young team like the Oilers than it does on a veteran team (say Detroit, Rangers, etc.)

This is one of those "things other teams' fans think" that's actually pretty true.

I will say this about Dubnyk: he's been steadily improving for a while now and it's not unrealistic to think he hasn't yet reached his peak.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:28 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Dubnyk's main problem is that his team rarely ever has the puck. Most goalies let in muffins once in a while, it just seems like it's going to happen more often when you're constantly being out shot and looking at 30+ every game. Maybe once his team figures out how to actually out shoot their opponents the soft goals will start going in their favor.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:42 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Watch some Oilers games OP.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:01 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
The team plays way better when he's playing in net for us. We generally play like crap whenever anyone else is playing in net.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:15 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post

Dub is not the problem. Oilers are just small and lack grit and toughness. If they ever become good they will be like the PENS. All flash, finesse and offense. Keep on drafting skill players to sell tickets but win zero cups.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:35 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Watch some Oilers games OP.
I do and from my perspective many games these last two seasons, Oilers had a good flow going, only to have it broken by DD giving up a bad goal--he usually gives up at least one bad goal a game

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I do and from my perspective many games these last two seasons, Oilers had a good flow going, only to have it broken by DD giving up a bad goal--he usually gives up at least one bad goal a game
In games I watched them play he's the one who keeps them in games game in and game out, he's not the issue, the lack of defense both from their defensemen and forwards is on the other hand.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 09:58 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Dub is not the problem. Oilers are just small and lack grit and toughness. If they ever become good they will be like the PENS. All flash, finesse and offense. Keep on drafting skill players to sell tickets but win zero cups.
The "zero cups" part doesn't really sound like Pittsburgh.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Dubnyk doesnt deflate the team cause they are rarely inflated.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:29 AM
marioni

Dubnyk is the least of Oilers issues.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 01:11 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Unlike most other teams in the league, the Oilers will sell out regardless of who they draft. They picked BPA, which is what all good franchises in every draft sport do at the top of the draft.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote