HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Congrats to the New York Islanders

Old
05-12-2013, 03:34 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 50
Congrats to the New York Islanders

This isn't a bull**** pity thread - it's just worth mentioning that after years of futility, they seem to have a really good thing going on the Island. I remember growing up hearing about how loud the Coliseum can be during the Playoffs and man, did they rock it out. Loudest building during the Playoffs by far - that's a badass fanbase over there.

Nice season - and all of the Pittsburgh goalie controversies aside, they surprised the hell out of me how they took the Pens to 6. I think most had the Pens in 4 or 5, myself included.

So a well deserved "see you next year" to the Isles.

05-12-2013, 03:42 AM
pixiesfanyo

vCash: 500
Didn't surprise me. Love the team. Die hard Pens fan. Have the team tattooed on my skin, but Tavares is a ****ing god. Love that dude. Love Streit, Okposo, and Bailey. TOTALLY DREADING, the conference we are going to be in next year. Carolina, Washington, Philadelphia, Rags, Jackets, UGHH. all young teams. we are going to be the old ones in the group.. weird.

pixiesfanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 03:44 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
This isn't a bull**** pity thread - it's just worth mentioning that after years of futility, they seem to have a really good thing going on the Island. I remember growing up hearing about how loud the Coliseum can be during the Playoffs and man, did they rock it out. Loudest building during the Playoffs by far - that's a badass fanbase over there.

Nice season - and all of the Pittsburgh goalie controversies aside, they surprised the hell out of me how they took the Pens to 6. I think most had the Pens in 4 or 5, myself included.

So a well deserved "see you next year" to the Isles.
Alright...
Goodjob whoever else didn't make it.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:23 AM
johnnydrum

Completely in agreement.
Caps fan here, in the UK, listened into the Islanders vs Pens last night (12-3am) and was so impressed by the Islanders "mustard"

Thought it was pretty disgusting of the usual hockey media, prior to the start of the series, to scoff at the Isles chances of "even pinching a game".
After years of ruining this once proud franchise, they have made a great turn-around.

Also I must say, what a display of equal "gusto" by the fans, who continued to chant for the team after the game was finished.

Welcome back to the NHL Islanders!

johnnydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 05:23 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

As an oiler fan I a jealous

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:22 AM
Bert Marshall days

Some goaltending and PP and we could've won.

Still, it was encoraging overall after years of futility as the future is bright.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

Ya it was a great showing by the Islanders. I was at the 2nd home game it was an awesome time.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 06:57 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Yeah. LI are going to be a force next year

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:41 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Great series guys.

Battled right up until the end.

In the OT, I was feeling a bit sad because the Isles had all the pressure and you were expecting one of those "puck goes the other way and they score immediately" goals.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 07:59 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Thanks for all the well wishes, it was an exciting season and the Isles seemed to grow up in front of our eyes for the last 2 months. Hopefully this experience is the catalyst for the team to make big strides next season.

For the first time in a long time, there is a lot of optimism surrounding the team and it's not 100% wishful thinking.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:00 AM
qc

vCash: 2000
I love watching David hold his own vs. Goliath.. What's NYI's payroll, like 40 mil? They're the devil rays of the NHL, hard to not to respect them.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Great series, always liked the Islanders. They have something good going there I hope UFA will sign there

Congrats to them

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:12 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

The Isles battled very hard and showed a lot of heart and determination. Isles fans should be very proud.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:13 AM
NYR713

Congrats to Isles. I was pretty happy to watch them play well all season. I miss the big Rangers/Isles rivalry that has been non-existent the last few years. I wish Wang and Snow would open up the pocket book a little bit though. With all the space they had this season, they could have filled in a few pieces at the deadline.

Great season boys.

NYR713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 08:45 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

When is this thread going to get serious? Is it time yet?

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
When is this thread going to get serious? Is it time yet?
Never.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

I'm only 18. The only New York Islanders hockey that I have ever witnessed has been failure not just on the ice, but in the stands as well. I heard about the dynasties and all the stories, but was unable to comprehend how such a rich city with hockey history seemed to have no ambition and no passion from their fanbase and their ownership

This playoff series put everything in to perspective for me. Made me realize that the stories were for real. I really hope that the fans get behind their team. With the new building, upcomming stars and a solid fanbase, why wouldn't they be considered a solid hockey market on and off the ice within the next 3-4 years that can attract top quality free agents?

Keep it up guys. Last year I thought you should be moving to Quebec City asap, but oh was I ever wrong. [Supposing everything continues like this.]

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
They played surprisingly well in the playoffs but IMO they severely overachieved. I'll be surprised if they make the playoffs next season. Still a lot of holes on that team.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

They did amazingly and it's a shame they lost yesterday. Great passion shown by their team and their fans.

05-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Could have won, Nabby let in a few weak ones. Definitely need to watch out next year, especially with that heavy prospect pool (Strome, Nino, Reinhart, perhaps even Kabanov and Nelson in the future)

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
I'm only 18. The only New York Islanders hockey that I have ever witnessed has been failure not just on the ice, but in the stands as well. I heard about the dynasties and all the stories, but was unable to comprehend how such a rich city with hockey history seemed to have no ambition and no passion from their fanbase and their ownership
Because it didn't happen that way. The islanders don't have a 'city'. They are an area team with a limited area. They got very good very fast and attracted bandwagon jumpers. When the team declined, the jumpers jumped off. And they've had no reason to jump back on since. The team isn't worth much by NHL standards and the Nets are long gone, so there's no incentive for a new $billion+ arena. The devils built one and it virtually bankrupted the team.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:39 AM
DMR

The Isles are definitely a team on the rise with a bright future. They showed a ton of heart and grit and should be nothing but proud. They left it all out on the ice.

DMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Because it didn't happen that way. The islanders don't have a 'city'. They are an area team with a limited area. They got very good very fast and attracted bandwagon jumpers. When the team declined, the jumpers jumped off. And they've had no reason to jump back on since. The team isn't worth much by NHL standards and the Nets are long gone, so there's no incentive for a new $billion+ arena. The devils built one and it virtually bankrupted the team.
The most affluent county in the US is a limited area?

the reason the fans left is because the team spent 20 years mired in perpetual suck. They're coming back.

To those of you who aren't trolls (most likely of the NYR variety with a perverse obsession with the NYI, see the Potvin chant), thank you for your well wishes. We will see you next year and we will be hungry.

RoseTintedVisor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Nice stuff in a congrats thread here lol.

Such class blows my mind!

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
Nice stuff in a congrats thread here lol.

Such class blows my mind!
Did he say anything inaccurate? Just asking because I have no clue about LI and very limited knowledge or interest in the Isles.

Ayways, congrats I guess, really don't like these threads, no matter what you say they are a pity thread, Game 7 in the SCF, maybe make it, losing in the 1st round, meh. Fans enjoy your playoffs, but thats about it, I expect nothing like this when/if Boston knocks us out.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote