Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Badger Bob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Brown
RObyn Regher was a great pick up, but Rene Corbet is a checking line player,
This is like having a fantastic dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, and complaining that the garlic mashed potatoes wasn't up to snuff.

Your fixation on Rene Corbet is indefensible.

Quote:
if thats what you get for a superstar your not a good gm.
That superstar was an impending FA. The only reason he lasted as long as he did in Calgary was to get the team points record in a Flames uniform.

Quote:
Wade Belak, and a 2nd rd pick common man. We all know now Regher for Theo is amazing, but back then Button could of gotten more then Corbet. Maybe Stephane Yelle, we have him now, but just a thought.
Look at it this way:

* Iginla didn't click with Sakic the way it was expected. Then, he left for greener pastures in New York.

* Regehr would've been the ideal heir apparent to Adam Foote.

If the Avs could undo it, don't you think they would? BTW, it wasn't Button, who did the Fleury deal, it was Coates.

Old
05-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
RObyn Regher was a great pick up, but Rene Corbet is a checking line player, if thats what you get for a superstar your not a good gm. Wade Belak, and a 2nd rd pick common man. We all know now Regher for Theo is amazing, but back then Button could of gotten more then Corbet. Maybe Stephane Yelle, we have him now, but just a thought.
You're not making any sense at all.

"We all know now Regehr for Theo is amazing"

"If thats what you get for a superstar your not a good GM"

"Button could of gotten more then Corbet"

Could you contradict yourself any more?

1. Coates made the deal

2. Regehr WAS the centrepiece of the deal whether you knew about him at the time or not. It wasn't like the trade was for Corbet with Regehr as the throw in. Regehr was the trade, Corbet was the throw in.

3. Fleury was an unrestricted free agent in a couple months. We were about to lose him for nothing. Conceivably we would have gotten more for him if he had been under contract.

4. Fleury is not a "superstar"

I can't follow your logic. The trade was Fleury and Dingman for Regehr, a 1st/2nd rounder, Corbet and Belak. You acknowledge it's an "amazing" deal in one sentence and then say we should have gotten more in the next.

Try making some sense next time. Please.

I don't see how anybody in their right mind could argue that two months of Fleury + Dingman for Regehr, 1st/2nd, Corbet and Belak was not a steal for us. As Bob says, the Avs would dearly love to undo that trade.

Old
05-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Badger Bob

Let's have a rant now that the Nieuwendyk for Iginla trade wasn't quite what it seemed, because Corey Millen was included.

Old
05-13-2005, 11:39 AM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Remember, Chris Dingman also went to Colorado in that deal. Pierre Lacroix and Al Coates probably saw it as an opportunity to exchange former 1st round picks, that didn't turn out, and give each a fresh start with a new team. Georges Laraque admitted that Belak gave him one of the toughest fights he'd faced. Belak ended up being Don Hay's albino whipping boy. Then he ended up being an important member of the defensive corps in Toronto. Strange how these things sometimes turn out...
Sorry I couldn't resist.

Old
05-13-2005, 01:49 PM
chriss_co

I would like to add to Button's top 3 move's:

drafting the likes of kobasew and lombardi

Old
05-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Flames 1st pick

My summary of Button

Good:
1) Leopold trade

Bad:
1) Everything else.
The Savard deal, the St. Louis release, the Guigeure protected situation, the Turek signing were all works done by an amateur GM.

There is a reason the team started getting much better after the clown is gone.

BTW, I dont hate Button :lol

Old
05-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Jessie Lumsden

I think it's unfair to critisize Button, hindsight is 20/20. He did his best and was very unlucky. He just wasn't the type of GM to trade a 2nd rounder for a guy like Marcus Nilson. Honestly, how many of us were asking "who the hell is nilson?" when we saw that trade. Turned out to be one of the greatest trades in franchise history, and yes I realize that he hasn't played 40 games for us yet.

Closed Thread