05-14-2013, 03:34 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
Go Rangers
Go Senators
Go Red Wings

If those three teams win in the Conference Semi-finals our three draft picks would be as follows:

6th overall
19th overall
25th overall

Best case scenario regarding our picks.

The Kings/Sharks series has no effect.
I will eat all of the hats in Calgary if the Wings beat the Hawks.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Ashasx

vCash: 500
I don't expect any of these teams to win their series'. The pick will be 22nd.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
I can see the Rangers winning but that's about it.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Money Baer
COYS

I could see Ottawa riding some hot goaltending and wearing down the Penguins physically. NYI carried the play most of last series... I personally feel like Ottawa is a stronger team, and could potentially pull a big upset.

I could see the same thing with NYR.

I doubt Detroit will knock off Chicago.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:01 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
you don't draft a potential elite player just to change their position, you need to give them a chance to succeed.
Well technically it would not be changing his position.
Outside of the WJC's Elias Lindholm played on the wing for the entire year in Brynas. In saying that his skillset will allow him to transition to either position moving forward. With his speed, hands, tenacity, and high hockey IQ there is not much doubt that he can excel at either position in my opinion.

He only took around 60 faceoffs this year and won them at a 58% clip which is quite impressive despite the short sample size.

If Calgary does select him then I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't be projecting him as a center considering the importance Jay Feaster and John Weisbrod have placed on that position.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:27 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Well technically it would not be changing his position.
Outside of the WJC's Elias Lindholm played on the wing for the entire year in Brynas. In saying that his skillset will allow him to transition to either position moving forward. With his speed, hands, tenacity, and high hockey IQ there is not much doubt that he can excel at either position in my opinion.

He only took around 60 faceoffs this year and won them at a 58% clip which is quite impressive despite the short sample size.

If Calgary does select him then I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't be projecting him as a center considering the importance Jay Feaster and John Weisbrod have placed on that position.
Makes you wonder if they'll pass up on him and either take Shinkaruk or Monahan.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:54 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Makes you wonder if they'll pass up on him and either take Shinkaruk or Monahan.
Well Shinkaruk is in the same boat as Lindholm in that he can play both on the wing and in the center of the ice. However from what I have seen and read of Hunter, I would say that he definitely projects as a full time winger at the NHL level, whereas Lindholm has a much larger probability of playing down the middle full time.

I think there is a very real possibility that Calgary has Monahan over Lindholm.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I'll do my best

However, my original question was open to everyone and anyone.
I will not cheer for my team to lose. I don't ****ing care if the Flames losing will save babies and kittens and puppies from dying a horrible and painful death. I will not do it under any circumstance. (well maybe to save puppies, but you get the idea)

If other teams winning or losing help my team, it doesn't matter to me. Those aren't my teams.

Would you cheer for the Flames to lose in the first two rounds of the playoffs so they get a better draft pick?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Flames1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
What about his game makes him better suited to wing.
It may be that I am simply oldschool but I prefer having my playmakers in the middle and keeping my snipers to the outside. I mean wherever this kid plays he is going to be a stud, likely a franchise player but having him on the opposite side to bartschi would just give us two snipers on both sides that we have lacked for many years. In centers I like a big frame, someone who can take a beating down low, and Lindholm although very very tenachious is not a bruiser. He is a shooter, with one hell of a shot, and centers dont get as many chances to tee it up from the circles as wingers do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
Why do you think that Lindholm can't make plays?
I am not concerned with him not being able to make plays, he is just better suited for a finisher role, and not the set up man.

Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
I am not concerned with him not being able to make plays, he is just better suited for a finisher role, and not the set up man.
He may be but thats not a reason the put him on the wing. The first real top line center prospect we've drafted in years and you want to throw him on the wing?

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Leafs03

for Leafs to get to 17th overall, what has to happen???

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Flames1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
He may be but thats not a reason the put him on the wing. The first real top line center prospect we've drafted in years and you want to throw him on the wing?
But he isn't necessarily a center prospect, like another said in the highest level of competition that he has played in he coincidentally played the wing. I see everyone here yelling center and such but we need to put a player in the best place for him to succeed. I know that I am not an NHL coach but i believe for him to be the best player he can be that would mean placing him on the right wing.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Flames1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
Your pick and Blacker maybe, but I believe the St Louis pick you may be talking about cannot be lower than 19th.

Old
05-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Leafs03

Quote:
Your pick and Blacker maybe, but I believe the St Louis pick you may be talking about cannot be lower than 19th.
No i meant like, for leafs to get the highest pick, who has to win right now lol

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Flames1217

Quote:
No i meant like, for leafs to get the highest pick, who has to win right now lol
Oh sorry I misunderstood, You'll have to ask someone else for that.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:08 PM
herashak

vCash: 0
Quote:
i think ottawa and san jose winning would help your pick

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
For the Leafs to pick 17th the Eastern Final would need to be Ottawa v. New York and the West Final would need to be Detroit v. San Jose.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:26 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I will not cheer for my team to lose. I don't ****ing care if the Flames losing will save babies and kittens and puppies from dying a horrible and painful death. I will not do it under any circumstance. (well maybe to save puppies, but you get the idea)

If other teams winning or losing help my team, it doesn't matter to me. Those aren't my teams.

Would you cheer for the Flames to lose in the first two rounds of the playoffs so they get a better draft pick?
I said right from the start it was like a Paradox. I think it's because you have emotional fans, logical fans, and the varying mix. Personally I don't care what people prefer, but I like the discussion.

So to answer your question "objectively" (for a lack of a better word), It could depend on the terms. Here's a scenario:

Quote:
The Calgary Flames have made a unheardof late-season cinderella run to 8th place and now have to face the cup favorite, all while having the basement dweller's conditional 1st/2nd round pick where its a second rounder if the Flames go to the semi-finals; all during a year where the upcoming draft is the deepest in years and all top 5 draftees are record breaking CHLers and generational talents.
Maybe I could understand if some people were to cheer for another team.

Last edited by MarkGio: 05-14-2013 at 07:41 PM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:55 PM
K19*

Draft order should be further established after each round. First round exit teams ordered from least to best reg season points, then second round exit teams do the same, and so on.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19 View Post
Draft order should be further established after each round. First round exit teams ordered from least to best reg season points, then second round exit teams do the same, and so on.
should be, but it isn't

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:15 PM
MarkGio

Quote:

Wow. I can't believe I missed that at first

Old
05-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I said right from the start it was like a Paradox. I think it's because you have emotional fans, logical fans, and the varying mix. Personally I don't care what people prefer, but I like the discussion.

So to answer your question "objectively" (for a lack of a better word), It could depend on the terms. Here's a scenario:

Quote:
The Calgary Flames have made a unheardof late-season cinderella run to 8th place and now have to face the cup favorite, all while having the basement dweller's conditional 1st/2nd round pick where its a second rounder if the Flames go to the semi-finals; all during a year where the upcoming draft is the deepest in years and all top 5 draftees are record breaking CHLers and generational talents.
Maybe I could understand if some people were to cheer for another team.
I still wouldn't cheer for them to lose. Especially not in the playoffs.

If they did lose, I'd be able to console myself knowing that we had a helluva draft pick. Not the same as cheering for them to lose.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Huffman

Quote:
It may be that I am simply oldschool but I prefer having my playmakers in the middle and keeping my snipers to the outside. I mean wherever this kid plays he is going to be a stud, likely a franchise player but having him on the opposite side to bartschi would just give us two snipers on both sides that we have lacked for many years. In centers I like a big frame, someone who can take a beating down low, and Lindholm although very very tenachious is not a bruiser. He is a shooter, with one hell of a shot, and centers dont get as many chances to tee it up from the circles as wingers do.

Are we talking about the same Elias Lindholm? He doesn't shoot very much at all. Both his linemates had way more SOG than Lindholm this year, he is a pure playmaker and a pass-first guy.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Anglesmith
Lord Byron

vCash: 775
Quote:

If they did lose, I'd be able to console myself knowing that we had a helluva draft pick. Not the same as cheering for them to lose.
I agree, absolutely. If you're in the playoffs, you have a chance at the cup. There is nothing more important than that. In the playoffs, there's no case of having to "catch up" in the standings to teams which are way above you. There are no meaningless games.

The regular season is a completely different animal, though, because you can be mathematically eliminated and still have to play hockey games. At a certain point, winning games only benefits the morale of your hockey team and nothing more. In the playoffs, that is not the case.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:03 PM
MarkGio

Quote:

Again, cheering for another team to win doesn't (always) equal cheering for your team to lose. Ultimately you want your team to win, the question is when, and more importantly, what are they winning? In the dynamics of hockey that includes business among many paradigms, the game at hand might not be the priority. Basically, are they winning a 60 minute hockey game, or are they winning a cup 5 seasons from now?

Take the dynamics of injury. If you know a player is on the trade block and is being shopped, do you want them blocking shots, fighting, and doing all the things that's helping the immediate victory while risking injury that affects the greater organizational victory?

Now let's take the Sharks for example. A playoff club that has a solid playoff position is selling off assets that (arguably) are important to a playoff run at the deadline. Is that not the greater victory? Would that be looking for/cheering for losses?

Perhaps this is a better scenario:

Quote:
Its the 82nd game and the Flames are playing the club that they're tied for 8th with. The Flames have the basement dweller's conditional first rounder, conditional on making the playoffs in a year where the upcoming draft has some of the best talent ever seen. How the Flames even made it to 8th place was a miracle as they were 14th at the deadline