HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Treatment For Concussion Victims

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-02-2013, 02:05 PM
  #1
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,838
vCash: 500
Treatment For Concussion Victims

Perhaps there is renewed hope for long term concussion victims like Michael Sauer.

It's the machine credited for curing the concussion of NHL star Sidney Crosby. It's the machine Avalanche first-round draft pick Joey Hishon credits for helping him get back on the ice after nearly two years of conventional but fruitless medical treatment for a concussion.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...#ixzz2V5EEUUrL

(I hope the Rangers organization is aware of this treatment option)


Last edited by bobbop: 06-02-2013 at 02:49 PM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:36 PM
  #2
LetterJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Perhaps there is renewed hope for long term concussion victims like Michael Sauer.

It's the machine credited for curing the concussion of NHL star Sidney Crosby. It's the machine Avalanche first-round draft pick Joey Hishon credits for helping him get back on the ice after nearly two years of conventional but fruitless medical treatment for a concussion.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...#ixzz2V5EEUUrL

(I hope the Rangers organization is aware of this treatment option)
The title is somewhat misleading, because we, as a board, have discussed Dr. Carrick before. Carrick is, as you mentioned, the doc that treated Crosby:

Quote:
But Maher thought his spinning chair should be in the hands of the medical community, so in 2010 he loaned one to Life University in Marietta, Ga., for experimental use.

A functional neurologist there, Dr. Ted Carrick, noticed immediate results in patients with various brain injuries. Carrick practices chiropractic neurology, a field that uses no drugs or surgery. Carrick has since been recognized as the first to effectively use the GyroStim for brain injuries, and his profile became much bigger after he treated Crosby in 2011. The Pittsburgh Penguins star suffered a concussion in January of that year and saw little improvement for several months before seeing Carrick and undergoing treatment in the GyroStim.
If Sauer has not gone this route, it is baffling to say the least.

LetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:52 PM
  #3
Thumpz
Registered User
 
Thumpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando FL
Country: United States
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Somebody forward the link to someone like jim cerny on Twitter and see if he knows whether it's been tried. You might just save Sauer's career.

I love reading stories like this, from a purely scientific standpoint. I've heard about similar spin treatments in the past, but nothing so specific. I've never heard of anyone trying those treatments while focusing on a stationary object, it sounds like if this works the key to it was so simple all along. Not that it's guaranteed to work or work for everyone, but a leap forward in terms of treating brain injuries would be amazing.

Thumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 03:43 PM
  #4
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpz View Post
Somebody forward the link to someone like jim cerny on Twitter and see if he knows whether it's been tried. You might just save Sauer's career.

I love reading stories like this, from a purely scientific standpoint. I've heard about similar spin treatments in the past, but nothing so specific. I've never heard of anyone trying those treatments while focusing on a stationary object, it sounds like if this works the key to it was so simple all along. Not that it's guaranteed to work or work for everyone, but a leap forward in terms of treating brain injuries would be amazing.
Do you honestly think someone suffering concussion symptoms for 18 months wouldn't at least be aware of this treatment option? Particularly when we're not talking about some joe 6 pack...clearly the NHL and multiple players are already familiar with it.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 03:56 PM
  #5
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Do you honestly think someone suffering concussion symptoms for 18 months wouldn't at least be aware of this treatment option? Particularly when we're not talking about some joe 6 pack...clearly the NHL and multiple players are already familiar with it.
I wouldn't be certain. Kurt Sauer has received treatments for his severe whiplash injury (for the 1000th time read: not a concussion) here in Phoenix. The way he found out about the treatment? A company offering the treatment read a newspaper article about the injury and posted a comment suggesting he call. It has allowed him to lead a much more normal life.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:09 PM
  #6
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
If sauer has a twitter account you could always send him a tweet saying he should check out that article.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 08:57 PM
  #7
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,174
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
If sauer has a twitter account you could always send him a tweet saying he should check out that article.
What are the chances he reads/looks at em though.

Still good idea though/

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:36 PM
  #8
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
What are the chances he reads/looks at em though.

Still good idea though/
For someone like Sauer? Much better chance of him reading them then someone like crosby.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 10:06 PM
  #9
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,174
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
For someone like Sauer? Much better chance of him reading them then someone like crosby.
Good point. I haven't seen him on twitter yet at least, he may be somewhere. Although, I'd be a little bit confused as to why him/the Rangers (Haven't found this unless they did.) By this I mean treatment method.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 10:08 PM
  #10
Thumpz
Registered User
 
Thumpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando FL
Country: United States
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
It's possibly a case of, "out of sight, out of mind". In this case, it's such a new, not actually medically defined treatment that it's entirely possible the team doctors, or any doctors that he's seen may not have even heard of it yet. Doctors are generally good at keeping up to date on the latest treatments, but there are definitely times when there are things they don't know of yet.

It's also completely possible he's tried it with no results. It's probably a safe bet that there have been patients who tried this treatment and not received results, this article is clearly biased towards looking at it in a purely positive light. But you never know.

Thumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 10:20 PM
  #11
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 500
Amazing article.


In regards to Sauer, I agree it's possible that he may or maynot have heard it. Tweeting an article to him or even to the Rangers takes seconds to do & if they have heard of it no big deal, but if there is a slight chance that they haven't, they have now.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.