HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues 3 Keys to Success in Games 5-7*

Old
05-08-2013, 01:54 PM
BBSuns

vCash: 500
Blues 3 Keys to Success in Games 5-7*

http://thehockeywriters.com/st-louis...ys-to-success/

Here to discuss.

BBSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:58 PM
carter333167

I would add that the D must return to the form it showed in the previous games and that Elliott must remain strong.

carter333167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:00 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter333167 View Post
I would add that the D must return to the form it showed in the previous games and that Elliott must remain strong.
Agreed but their in zone play hasn't been poor lately; its been the mental breakdowns on the fore and back checks thats killing this team. they dont let up those odd mans and they win game 4 easy

Old
05-08-2013, 04:22 PM
carter333167

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSuns View Post
Agreed but their in zone play hasn't been poor lately; its been the mental breakdowns on the fore and back checks thats killing this team. they dont let up those odd mans and they win game 4 easy
These thoughts are just my opinion:

I thought Bouwmeester had a slightly off game all over the ice whereas previously he, Elliott and Steen were probably our MVP's.

Leopold was awful in Game 4....his pinch gave up one of those odd man rushes.

Jackman's blown tire gave up another odd-man.

My only point is that our D-Men are our advantage and were our rock up until the last game.

Old
05-08-2013, 04:26 PM
carter333167

Another huge factor is whether the Blues can survive the pressure of playing at home. Their previous two home games had less pressure whereas now the home games may feel like "must win." This team traditionally has shown tightness under extreme pressure (for example, the OT period in Game 1.) They must play freely despite the pressure.

Old
05-08-2013, 04:29 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:

I thought Bouwmeester had a slightly off game all over the ice whereas previously he, Elliott and Steen were probably our MVP's.

My only point is that our D-Men are our advantage and were our rock up until the last game.
The Polak slip coincided with Oshie failing to get the puck in deep just inside the blue line. The defense need to be able to rely on that puck getting in at that point on the ice, and it didn't happen. It was exactly the wrong time to slip. But Oshie bore some responsibility there.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:04 PM
BBSuns

Quote:

the article outlines the issues on both odd man rushes and it was a result of mental errors by the defensemen

Last edited by BBSuns: 05-08-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: wrong word used
Old
05-08-2013, 05:06 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
The Polak slip coincided with Oshie failing to get the puck in deep just inside the blue line. The defense need to be able to rely on that puck getting in at that point on the ice, and it didn't happen. It was exactly the wrong time to slip. But Oshie bore some responsibility there.
Oshie's failed pinch was huge but Leopold had a clear look at the development of the play and he still pinched with 3 kings rushing up ice/all 3 blues fw's deep

Old
05-09-2013, 10:02 AM
BBSuns

So i reiterate the question...where is Chris Stewart?

Old
05-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Maya Blue

Quote:
So i reiterate the question...where is Chris Stewart?
Hiding Tarasenko's skates.

Maya Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:29 AM
BlueAero

Key #1: Win game #5

BlueAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:22 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Hiding Tarasenko's skates.
you can't replace stewart w/tarasenko. mcdondald i'd take out though.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Maya Blue

Quote:
you can't replace stewart w/tarasenko. mcdondald i'd take out though.
I agree about Andy, but what has Chris done this series to make him untouchable?

Maya Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Pens fan coming in peace. I heard Tarasenko played the other night... what happened? Hitch give him 6 minutes TOI and then scratch him the next game(s) because he didn't score? I don't see what you guys have to lose at this point. Cut the beast loose. Give him 18 TOI and see what he does with it. Watched the first two games closely. Love the hitting and whatnot but would be great to see some fireworks / some creativity out there. What could be better than having your rookie beat LA?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:59 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
I agree about Andy, but what has Chris done this series to make him untouchable?
nothing but you don't take out your regular season leading goal scorer and perennial X-factor when your team is tied heading into Game 5 and now down 1 heading into Game 6.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:01 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Pens fan coming in peace. I heard Tarasenko played the other night... what happened? Hitch give him 6 minutes TOI and then scratch him the next game(s) because he didn't score? I don't see what you guys have to lose at this point. Cut the beast loose. Give him 18 TOI and see what he does with it.
Hitch put Tarasenko on the 4th line in place of Cracknell, seemingly just to get him in the lineup as a potential, idk, offensive spark plug if you will..but he didn't utilize him they way he should be used>he can't be stuck on a 4th line with Porter and Reaves. If they replaced Mcdonald with Tarasenko, there would have been better results IMO..it was a stupid move to break up the 4th line to begin with as they've been a momentum swinging line all series long

Old
05-09-2013, 04:01 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
You can when he is playing the worst in the top 9.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:03 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
You can when he is playing the worst in the top 9.
While perron has "agitated" quick in front of the net, id say him and mcdonald are 2 better candidates to be replaced than Stewart..imagine the media frenzy that would occur benching your leading regular season goal scorer? people would have a field day and idt it'd really do stewart ne good to sit and watch. he needs to be out there, plain and simple.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:12 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
While perron has "agitated" quick in front of the net, id say him and mcdonald are 2 better candidates to be replaced than Stewart..imagine the media frenzy that would occur benching your leading regular season goal scorer? people would have a field day and idt it'd really do stewart ne good to sit and watch. he needs to be out there, plain and simple.
This isn't the Cardinals, there is no such thing as media frenzy with the Blues.

Stewart had one hot stretch, it's not long his regular season success was sustained throughout the season. What's really telling about him is when we needed a goal, he wasn't on the ice. When we pulled Elliott, he still wasn't on the ice.

Perron has been one of our better forwards, and this is coming from one of his bigger critics.

I know people bashing McDonald is the trendy thing to do, but he has had a bigger positive impact in game than Stewart. He can still win faceoffs and is still great at controlling the puck in the offensive zone.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Pens fan coming in peace. I heard Tarasenko played the other night... what happened? Hitch give him 6 minutes TOI and then scratch him the next game(s) because he didn't score? I don't see what you guys have to lose at this point. Cut the beast loose. Give him 18 TOI and see what he does with it. Watched the first two games closely. Love the hitting and whatnot but would be great to see some fireworks / some creativity out there. What could be better than having your rookie beat LA?
Tarasenko has looked pretty weak on defence since returning from his injury, and has not created almost any offence. He has not been playing with the grit and energy he had before being injured. He was not really all that well integrated into The Blues' system. That shows up quickly in the playoffs, where every play is crucial. A team is only as good as its weakest link (as we saw when Jackman fell down, and when The Kings got odd-man rushes.

Tarasenko, the way he's been playing lately, would likely be a detrement to his team's effort, rather than a help.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:04 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Stewart had one hot stretch, it's not long his regular season success was sustained throughout the season. What's really telling about him is when we needed a goal, he wasn't on the ice. When we pulled Elliott, he still wasn't on the ice.
Replace Stewart's name with Tarasenko and you'd have this be a correct paragraph. Has Tarasenko done anything since the first two weeks of the season? Answer: No. Yeah Stewart had one crazy hot streak but he's been A LOT more consistent than Tarasenko.

And what's really telling about Tarasenko is not only would he not be on the ice on the 6 on 5, he hardly ever sees the ice in OT and it's debatable he would in the 3rd period and a tied game either.

Yeah Stewart sucked the first 4 games, but in game 5 he did actually finally look like he had a pulse. I'm not defending him or saying he's been good this series at all because we all know the truth about that, but replacing him with Tarasenko would really do nothing. Tarasenko hasn't been a factor for so long, I don't understand why fans still think he's gonna turn into a monster this season. I don't see it.

McDonald can win faceoffs yes but his small size is so useless against the Kings. I at least see him trying, but the guy has no future here, so sitting him really would not hurt us at all.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:12 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Replace Stewart's name with Tarasenko and you'd have this be a correct paragraph. Has Tarasenko done anything since the first two weeks of the season? Answer: No. Yeah Stewart had one crazy hot streak but he's been A LOT more consistent than Tarasenko.

And what's really telling about Tarasenko is not only would he not be on the ice on the 6 on 5, he hardly ever sees the ice in OT and it's debatable he would in the 3rd period and a tied game either.

Yeah Stewart sucked the first 4 games, but in game 5 he did actually finally look like he had a pulse. I'm not defending him or saying he's been good this series at all because we all know the truth about that, but replacing him with Tarasenko would really do nothing. Tarasenko hasn't been a factor for so long, I don't understand why fans still think he's gonna turn into a monster this season. I don't see it.

McDonald can win faceoffs yes but his small size is so useless against the Kings. I at least see him trying, but the guy has no future here, so sitting him really would not hurt us at all.
So much this. BTW, according to his player usage, Tarasenko was the most protected PLAYER on the team. 67% of his shifts started in the offensive zone..thats absurd

Old
05-09-2013, 11:21 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
So much this. BTW, according to his player usage, Tarasenko was the most protected PLAYER on the team. 67% of his shifts started in the offensive zone..thats absurd
No, that's Sedin-like...

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:51 AM
HockeyGuy73

Going into game 6, to me, its quite simple. PLay the guys that you are going to depend on in the future. Tarasenko is part of the future, play him and let him get the experience. I like Andy, but he wont be back next year. Are they going to bring Stewart back? Hard to say at this point. With the development of Shattenkirk, cutting Stewart free wont look near as bad when you look back at the trade that brought them here. We have not won in LA in a long time, so why not try something new?

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post

You could replace anyone's name in that paragraph and you'd be correct. We may have finished red-hot in April but none of our forwards were individually great. Stewart had more points in April(7) than Steen(6), Perron(3), and Berglund(6). Tarasenko(3) and Perron were the ones struggling the most.

I agree Stewart was FAR better in Game 5 than in Games 1-4. Hopefully he carries it over to tonight's game and Monday's game.

I wouldn't take McDonald out for Tarasenko. It's too late for that. With our backs against the wall facing elimination, we can't try anything desperate. We just have to go with what has worked before and hope it works tonight. We dominated Game 5 with McDonald in the lineup. McDonald was actually pretty good in Game 5. There were no bad turnovers, he used his speed to create chances, and he was fine defensively. Like Stewart, it was by far his best game. We just have to hope we get some goals, the defense plays well, and Elliott stops the ones he has to stop.

I wouldn't want Tarasenko catching up to the speed of this series in an elimination game. His time to catch up was Game 4 but Hitch replaced him with the wrong guy and made it hard on him. Tarasenko will just have to sit and wait for Round 2.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote