HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General OT Thread #29: Welcome To Pominville-Where Goals Come Better Than Girl Advice

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
If only we could live for a couple hundred years to see it all come together...how exciting would that be?
I'd rather not live any longer than I have to.

05-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Minnesota
L'…toile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post

Old
05-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
And I thought I was depressing.

I feel like I was born a couple hundred years too early. My biggest urge is to simply get off this planet and go some place new and exotic. Hell, I should put in an application to be a Mars colonist.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:11 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Anyone ever have those weird stories of what happens in the bathroom while your drunk ???

I kinda have one now...

Old
05-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I feel like I was born a couple hundred years too early. My biggest urge is to simply get off this planet and go some place new and exotic. Hell, I should put in an application to be a Mars colonist.
I'd want to go back in time to be honest, but I like some of the modern tech, too... Damn. I'd somewhat want the 1950s back in terms of parenting and cultural standards, but 1970s fashion, combined with 1930s architecture and modern technology. Minus smartphones. **** smartphones.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Anyone ever have those weird stories of what happens in the bathroom while your drunk ???

I kinda have one now...

Old
05-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Summary of my day:

System upgrade botches everything at work
Everyone needs me to start working on a variety of things
System is "fixed" and I need to test...System is still broken
E-mail asking why the system is not working, when will I get payments out?
Chrome takes a dump and no longer works, can't uninstall, reinstall, or launch
I'm asked to install desktop sharing software
Desktop sharing software cannot be installed because it conflicts with another piece of software that is nannying my Internet
Conference call request
Phone calls asking why the system is not working, when will I get payments out?
Another system issue pops up and I'm losing track of everything

About to get on a conference call. Last call, they ask if I'm having problems with the system. I start rattling off a number of them, they interrupt and ask me to e-mail them instead.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:51 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i think most humans would get bored after a couple thousand years of being able to do whatever they want and opt out. you could always suspend your consciousness for large chunks of time to pop back into life to see what was happening then go under if you get bored again. when people say they want to be immortal...i don't think they've thought that through well enough. imagine floating there in space twiddling your thumbs after the sun burns out or goes nova. forever.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

I think Alzheimer's is the result of having too many memories stored in the brain thanks to a long life.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:05 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
I think Alzheimer's is the result of having too many memories stored in the brain thanks to a long life.
and here i thought it was from cooking in aluminum! dammit.

there's fairly strong circumstantial evidence finding Tumeric can stave off alzheimers...curry curry curry!

Old
05-22-2013, 08:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

So we've moved from Star Trek/Star Wars to Doctor Who discussion? Alright.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
05-22-2013, 08:29 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I really hate this Spring right now.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
05-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Minnesota
L'…toile du Nord

vCash: 404
Tigger loves Spring. TTFN.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i think most humans would get bored after a couple thousand years of being able to do whatever they want and opt out. you could always suspend your consciousness for large chunks of time to pop back into life to see what was happening then go under if you get bored again. when people say they want to be immortal...i don't think they've thought that through well enough. imagine floating there in space twiddling your thumbs after the sun burns out or goes nova. forever.
For me it would depend on the current state of interstellar travel, superluminal propulsion, and possibly the reliability of long term automated stasis chambers.

The reason I would want to be around for that long would be to see what happens. I do not think I would like being immortal. Even if that immortality came with eternal youth. There are a lot more things worse than death I can imagine. What happens if the starship you are traveling on gets too close to an uncharted black hole and gets sucked down it? Well you get crushed and spaghettified and shrunk down to the size of nothing until the black hole evaportates in...well quite possibly forever. A stellar mass black hole would evaporate, assuming Hawking Radiation is something that exists, would take 2 times 10 to the sixty-seventh power years to evaporate. Larger black holes, like the supermassive ones at the center of galaxies, would take exponentially longer. A black hole with ten billion solar masses would take 10 to the one hundredth power years to evaporate. And they have actually discovered a supermassive black hole with twenty one billion solar masses about 350 million light years away or so.

And by the time a black hole with only one solar mass evaporates, all galaxies will have died out. All solar systems will have died out. Our sun will have long since stopped burning fuel and will in fact exist as a cold lump of degenerate matter that emits virtually nothing in the form of radiation. The universe at that point will be pitch black. Everything that still exists at that point will either be a black hole or a dead stellar object.

And that's even assuming those objects still exist at that point. There's a possibility that protons, one of the most important particles in nature, are not completely stable. If they are not, by the time a one solar mass black hole evaporates, all of the protons, everywhere in the universe will have decayed and will no longer exist.

So, if you are immortal and you get stuck in a black hole of any appreciable size, you are going to very much wish you could die, because you have nothing to look forward to once the thing evaporates and releases you, as the universe as you know it has long since ceased to exist.

And then 10 to the nine hundredth power years or so later, the universe experiences heat death and everything literally stops, because at that point the universe is completely homogenous.

Or, maybe you get lucky and the universe's ultimate fate is a big crunch, at which point you can look forward to feeling the entire universe crunched into that tiny point of nothing along with you until everything gets blasted out as a new big bang occurs. Assuming you somehow have the ability to perceive anything after being spaghettified and crushed into a single point of infinite density, you should be in for a real show as you get to watch the birth of an entire universe.

And then trillions and trillions of years later, you get crushed again as that universe collapses and big bangs again.

And at this point you feel like your multiversal tivo is just showing you the same repeat over and over and over again and sooner or later you get bored, but you just keep going, and going and going.

Or maybe even worse yet, maybe black holes don't evaporate, and the universe doesnt go in an endless loop of big bounces. Now you're stuck compressed into a point forever.

Either way, heat death ending in everlasting nothingness, neverending big bounces, or stuck in a black hole for all eternity, welcome to hell: population your idiotic, immortal ass who forgot to ask for an off switch when you became immortal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
So we've moved from Star Trek/Star Wars to Doctor Who discussion? Alright.
And now we've moved to theoretical physics and black hole mechanics.

Still, if I could live long enough, and the universe will eventually end in a big bounce, it might be cool to live through that and see the start of the next universe. Would probably be one HELL of a fireworks show.

And then after I got bored, I'd see if I could find a way to write everything I've seen down, chuck it at the most likely spot for intelligent life to find it, and then hit the off switch.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I suppose I'm pretty content just amusing myself with relatively trivial things.

Yesterday I thought I should probably come up with a little longer term goals for what it is I want to do with my life, but I'm so consumed by other things right now that I don't have time.

Too busy living to worry about what I want to do with my life I guess.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:15 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I don't know why but I'm excited to start College.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Probably because college is awesome.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:25 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Probably because college is awesome.
I really hope so..

Old
05-23-2013, 01:53 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
So apparently some kid from a town outside of Boston was trying to be a famous rapper. He referenced the Boston bombings and rapped: "**** a boston bombin wait till u see the **** I do, I’ma be famous rapping", and has been jailed since police found the video.

All media places have been reporting it as "**** a boston bombin wait till u see the **** I do, I’ma be famous", insinuating that he was planning on doing a bombing of his own and not becoming famous from rapping. Aside from this line, he's also apparently posted on facebook and twitter and stuff with things like "**** Obama" "**** the government" and so on, or classic dumb stuff.

The guy is facing 20 years in prison for apparent "terrorism" charges. That is ridiculous. Embarrassing. link
Quote:
On May 1st, Cam was skipping school and messing around online. He posted some lyrics that included a vague reference to the Boston Marathon Bombing and called the Whitehouse a "federal house of horror." Shortly after that he was arrested and charged with Communicating a Terrorist Threat, a felony that carries 20 years in prison.

The post contained no specific threat of violence against any person or group of people, and in the context of the rest of the lyrics and Cams' rap persona, it was clearly nothing more than a metaphor. A search of Cam's house found NO evidence that he was planning any violence, but a judge still ordered him held without bail for the next 3 months, pending trial.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:08 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

or is it genius on the part of an apparent mouthbreathing idiot? free publicity, free, anti-THE MAN cred.

Old
05-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I suppose I'm pretty content just amusing myself with relatively trivial things.

Yesterday I thought I should probably come up with a little longer term goals for what it is I want to do with my life, but I'm so consumed by other things right now that I don't have time.

Too busy living to worry about what I want to do with my life I guess.
Boy I wish I had that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
So apparently some kid from a town outside of Boston was trying to be a famous rapper. He referenced the Boston bombings and rapped: "**** a boston bombin wait till u see the **** I do, Iíma be famous rapping", and has been jailed since police found the video.

All media places have been reporting it as "**** a boston bombin wait till u see the **** I do, Iíma be famous", insinuating that he was planning on doing a bombing of his own and not becoming famous from rapping. Aside from this line, he's also apparently posted on facebook and twitter and stuff with things like "**** Obama" "**** the government" and so on, or classic dumb stuff.

The guy is facing 20 years in prison for apparent "terrorism" charges. That is ridiculous. Embarrassing. link
Complete stupidity on both sides of that.

Also I have a headache today that simply will not go away, and I have no ****ing idea whats causing it. It's not a particularly painful headache, just annoying as ****.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:40 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

That's just dumb.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:

Got any girl advice?

Old
05-23-2013, 09:11 PM
GMAN23
My grammer lacks

On the rapper topic. Anyone hear about the kid that got his football scholarship taken away from Michigan State for smoking weed in his rap video. The story was on ESPN last week. He says it's cool, he would rather be an rapper anyways. Yeah, that kid goes to my high school...

Old
05-23-2013, 09:54 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN23 View Post
On the rapper topic. Anyone hear about the kid that got his football scholarship taken away from Michigan State for smoking weed in his rap video. The story was on ESPN last week. He says it's cool, he would rather be an rapper anyways. Yeah, that kid goes to my high school...
I can't help but feel bad for him..

Closed Thread