HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF Game 5|New York Islanders @ Pittsburgh Penguins|Thursday-May-9th-2013|CEC|7:00

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-08-2013, 06:54 PM
  #51
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 38,059
vCash: 500
Not sure what to say here.

I expected the Pens to come out flying yesterday and take hold of the series. They have the last line change at home, I suppose that is a good thing, though I doubt Bylsma utilizes it to much advantage.

Honestly, I do not expect much from the Pens tomorrow night. Oh they will score some goals, but I do not expect a single thing to change from what we have seen.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:57 PM
  #52
Beauner
Registered User
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 7,732
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Is there a Xs and Os guy in this thread who can answer this question...

From my POV, the reason the Isles have found success in this series (aside from MAF laying repeated turds) is that they consistently enter our zone with speed with the puck on their stick. I've never seen a team work zone entries with so much ease. So,

How do the Pens prevent the Isles from entering our zone with such ease? What adjustments are needed?
Gap control by the D has been pretty bad, that allows for easy entry into the zone and then the ability to drive wide and beat the Dman. The only real way to adjust is to confront a guy almost immediately at the blue line, but then that could allow guys like Grabner to beat Murray/Eaton/whoever else with easy. It's more of a "situation assessment" thing than anything else, but the D are apparently refusing to recognize when to confront and when to lay back. It's just always "be at the top of the circle as they're entering our zone".

Besides that, the NY forwards are getting ZERO back pressure from the forwards because they're either stationary at the red line waiting for a stretch pass or backchecking lazily. Back pressure forces players to dump the puck, but since they don't have to worry about a guy riding their butt, they are free to carry the puck in, especially since the D's gap control is brutal.

Everyone's fault here, quite honestly.

Edit: As far as adjustments, stopping the stretch pass, obviously. Having the breakout become a 5-man unit would help, as well as confronting guys at the blueline.

Beauner is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 06:58 PM
  #53
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 88,002
vCash: 50
I wish I could be as confident about a good performance coming tomorrow as you guys.

Shrimper is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:00 PM
  #54
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 38,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I wish I could be as confident about a good performance coming tomorrow as you guys.
Did you see my post?

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:04 PM
  #55
plaidchuck
Registered User
 
plaidchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Would love us to get 2 early goals to make it "easier" and take any pressure off. Then seal the series at LI.
LOL the two goal lead is poison for this team.

plaidchuck is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:05 PM
  #56
plaidchuck
Registered User
 
plaidchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I wish I could be as confident about a good performance coming tomorrow as you guys.
Same here. I'm expecting too see about a 50/50 split of people saying how we have no good goalies or making a million excuses for Vokoun.

plaidchuck is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:07 PM
  #57
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 27,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Is there a Xs and Os guy in this thread who can answer this question...

From my POV, the reason the Isles have found success in this series (aside from MAF laying repeated turds) is that they consistently enter our zone with speed with the puck on their stick. I've never seen a team work zone entries with so much ease. So,

How do the Pens prevent the Isles from entering our zone with such ease? What adjustments are needed?
I watched three Penguins back in at the blue-line for one guy. Nobody is stepping up, and for the life of me why wasn't the forward pressuring the Islander off the puck.

They have to step up at the blue-line period. Free passes every time is not gonna fly.

Ugene Malkin is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:15 PM
  #58
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 38,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
LOL the two goal lead is poison for this team.
We have had the lead late in the game every game this series. By two or more goals every game but one. And let it slip away every game but one.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:16 PM
  #59
Terrapin
Registered User
 
Terrapin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauner View Post
Gap control by the D has been pretty bad, that allows for easy entry into the zone and then the ability to drive wide and beat the Dman. The only real way to adjust is to confront a guy almost immediately at the blue line, but then that could allow guys like Grabner to beat Murray/Eaton/whoever else with easy. It's more of a "situation assessment" thing than anything else, but the D are apparently refusing to recognize when to confront and when to lay back. It's just always "be at the top of the circle as they're entering our zone".

Besides that, the NY forwards are getting ZERO back pressure from the forwards because they're either stationary at the red line waiting for a stretch pass or backchecking lazily. Back pressure forces players to dump the puck, but since they don't have to worry about a guy riding their butt, they are free to carry the puck in, especially since the D's gap control is brutal.

Everyone's fault here, quite honestly.

Edit: As far as adjustments, stopping the stretch pass, obviously. Having the breakout become a 5-man unit would help, as well as confronting guys at the blueline.
It's not always easy to see on television, but more than being lazy, I think they're just too slow to get back. The 2nd and 3rd lines look extremely slow. I think that's also a big reason why we can't sustain a forecheck. We lose every race.

Why they won't committ to playing defense is beyond me. If they stopped the stretch passes, and even played some form of a trap, our forwards are talented enough to bury shots even if they get fewer opportunites. It's just mind boggling.

Terrapin is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:18 PM
  #60
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres
 
Zatch88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Johnstown
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
counting on vokoun to flip some tables and whip these knuckleheads into shape. I think psychologically it should be easier playing knowing that every other shot isn't going to go in.

Zatch88 is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:19 PM
  #61
SHOOTANDSCORE
Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
 
SHOOTANDSCORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,214
vCash: 500
It is kind of pointless because it won't happen but I'm bored so, What about using something like the 1-3-1 at times?

ETA: I only bring it up because our forecheck is failing and it could be the next best way to keep the play tilted towards their end. We could insulate our slower d men and our 2 way d-men would be an asset on our transition.


Last edited by SHOOTANDSCORE: 05-08-2013 at 07:41 PM.
SHOOTANDSCORE is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:24 PM
  #62
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 53,451
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
2 things to fix:

1) Goaltending. Play as bad as Fleury and lose.

2) Support the puck. Less turnovers will happen if we aren't looking for 30 foot passes. You will be able to see this right away.

ColePens is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:28 PM
  #63
Beauner
Registered User
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 7,732
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
It's not always easy to see on television, but more than being lazy, I think they're just too slow to get back. The 2nd and 3rd lines look extremely slow. I think that's also a big reason why we can't sustain a forecheck. We lose every race.

Why they won't committ to playing defense is beyond me. If they stopped the stretch passes, and even played some form of a trap, our forwards are talented enough to bury shots even if they get fewer opportunites. It's just mind boggling.
You are right, part of it is being too damn slow. Iginla, Morrow, Neal, etc. aren't the fleetest of foot. I've been thinking the same thing about the forecheck too, we dump and chase but that doesn't work because we can't get the puck. Once again, we should stop the stretch pass and come with speed through the neutral zone so we can have guys going in top gear by the time they hit the blueline.


And yes, a simple adjustment could work wonders, but we just have to get to our game and everything will be fine.

Beauner is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:33 PM
  #64
CrozJawz*
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Is there a Xs and Os guy in this thread who can answer this question...

From my POV, the reason the Isles have found success in this series (aside from MAF laying repeated turds) is that they consistently enter our zone with speed with the puck on their stick. I've never seen a team work zone entries with so much ease. So,

How do the Pens prevent the Isles from entering our zone with such ease? What adjustments are needed?
At that there my friend is one of the biggest issues right now. For some reason they are allowing a HUGE buffer zone between them and the Isles as they enter the zone. For God's sake it looks like the Steelers' secondary lining up against the opposing WRs! It appears as if they are terrified of their speed and so they are trying to "stay in front of them" as they enter the zone, and all that is doing is allowing them the enter with ease and set up shop with their cycle.

It's maddening to watch the Pens consistently get stood up at the blueline and unable to even get into the zone, while the Isles just cruise right in untouched.

Literally everything that I said that the Pens had to do last night, they didn't.

Play smart on the breakout and avoid stupid turnovers? NOPE.

Find a way to beat the neutral zone trap and get some offensive zone time? NOPE.

MAF needs to play a better, more controlled game and not allow any softies. NOPE.

Stay disciplined because you just KNOW that the refs will be looking to call the Pens for ANYTHING that is remotely close to a penalty after the whole Crosby OT debacle?NOPE.

Stop with the limp wristed east/west passes in the offensive zone, especially on the PP? NOPE.

Less razzle dazzle with the puck and instead just get shots on net because Nabby has been shaky? NOPE.

Be more physical and take the play to the Isles? NOPE.

I'm no coach but, seriously, is this stuff not addressed in between games? Do they not watch the tape and keep seeing the same **** happening every night and not find a way to correct it? It is simply inexcusable to have a professional sports team look this badly in the postseason, 4 years in a row. And the worst part is that the highest paid players are the ones making the most mistakes and costing the team. These guys are making 8-9 million, 5 million+, and they are making mistakes that a league minimum rookie would make. WTF?

CrozJawz* is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:34 PM
  #65
CrozJawz*
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
It is kind of pointless because it won't happen but I'm bored so, What about using something like the 1-3-1 at times?
It's gotten this bad eh?

CrozJawz* is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:35 PM
  #66
plaidchuck
Registered User
 
plaidchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 200
Guess if you go all Therrien on the team with defense the locker room will "rebel" once again.

plaidchuck is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:35 PM
  #67
cheesedanish87
Registered User
 
cheesedanish87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 7,625
vCash: 500
Im surprised people aren't talking about Macdonald being hurt, i think that's a huge advantage for the pens, Isles have no depth on def, this is a team who was literally claiming every def that was on waivers before the year.

cheesedanish87 is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:36 PM
  #68
plaidchuck
Registered User
 
plaidchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Im surprised people aren't talking about Macdonald being hurt, i think that's a huge advantage for the pens, Isles have no depth on def, this is a team who was literally claiming every def that was on waivers before the year.
Hey anything that can benefit the team is good. Considering the Pens injury history I definitely don't feel bad for other teams when it comes to injury.

plaidchuck is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:42 PM
  #69
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47
 
MrBurghundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 20,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I think they'll play tomorrow night like they performed in practice today
They already have a head start from the halfway point of last game.

MrBurghundy is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:43 PM
  #70
SHOOTANDSCORE
Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
 
SHOOTANDSCORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrozJawz View Post
It's gotten this bad eh?
Possibly. But hey, it wouldn't be the first time trapping helped us win a cup.

SHOOTANDSCORE is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:44 PM
  #71
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47
 
MrBurghundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 20,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Would love us to get 2 early goals to make it "easier" and take any pressure off. Then seal the series at LI.
Because having leads has really helped us so much this far...

MrBurghundy is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:44 PM
  #72
plaidchuck
Registered User
 
plaidchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 200
Whatever happened to the players only meetings?

plaidchuck is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:47 PM
  #73
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47
 
MrBurghundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 20,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
I watched three Penguins back in at the blue-line for one guy. Nobody is stepping up, and for the life of me why wasn't the forward pressuring the Islander off the puck.

They have to step up at the blue-line period. Free passes every time is not gonna fly.
They are so damn afraid of the Isles ''speed'' and have built it up to such gigantic proportions, you would think it was some mythical ancient Greek god. They are all acting like a bunch of scared little *******.

MrBurghundy is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:47 PM
  #74
ObsessedCreative*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Is there a Xs and Os guy in this thread who can answer this question...

From my POV, the reason the Isles have found success in this series (aside from MAF laying repeated turds) is that they consistently enter our zone with speed with the puck on their stick. I've never seen a team work zone entries with so much ease. So,

How do the Pens prevent the Isles from entering our zone with such ease? What adjustments are needed?

ObsessedCreative* is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 07:48 PM
  #75
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47
 
MrBurghundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 20,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
2 things to fix:

1) Goaltending. Play as bad as Fleury and lose.

2) Support the puck. Less turnovers will happen if we aren't looking for 30 foot passes. You will be able to see this right away.
You are still asking for the moon.

MrBurghundy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.