HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Avalanche Head Coach Discussion l Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2013, 01:52 PM
  #176
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,783
vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by col9duchie View Post
There's this guy from team USA we could use... apparently he led them to a medal, with a bunch of scrubs...




LOL JK, that's the last time he'll be coaching a pro team
Phil Housley would be a great guy to add to our staff. I think he'll be a head coach in3-5 years, he thinks the game so well. The thought of him running our special teams and/or coaching the defense.... would make me very happy for a team that has lacked a good special teams and is drafting Jones (and has a former #1 overall that could use some mentoring).

Alas...

Any news on the coaching front? I haven't been paying attention for a week.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 02:06 PM
  #177
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,604
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Phil Housley would be a great guy to add to our staff. I think he'll be a head coach in3-5 years, he thinks the game so well. The thought of him running our special teams and/or coaching the defense.... would make me very happy for a team that has lacked a good special teams and is drafting Jones (and has a former #1 overall that could use some mentoring).

Alas...

Any news on the coaching front? I haven't been paying attention for a week.
No new news, I would not be surprised to see this thing play out after the Playoffs are over and closer to the Draft.

__________________

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
RockLobster is online now  
Old
05-19-2013, 02:12 PM
  #178
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz
 
JWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 303
Country: South Korea
Posts: 16,000
vCash: 50
Hopefully the Avs are waiting for the Marlies to get knocked off to hire Eakins

JWK is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 05:46 PM
  #179
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,219
vCash: 500
Dreger's response to Dater's article this morning:

Quote:
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
@adater. Interesting read. I keep hearing things are still tracking in direction of P. Roy as head coach of Avs.
I believe this is the first time someone other than Dater/Chambers has said anything about the Avs' new coach. Other than Friedman a few weeks ago.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 05:47 PM
  #180
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,604
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Dreger's response to Dater's article this morning:
Was just coming to post this, interesting that Dreger finally says something about the Avs' coaching search

RockLobster is online now  
Old
05-19-2013, 05:52 PM
  #181
CalderKing21
Darth Calder
 
CalderKing21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,739
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Dreger's response to Dater's article this morning:



I believe this is the first time someone other than Dater/Chambers has said anything about the Avs' new coach. Other than Friedman a few weeks ago.
i'm all for this move. Roy or Eakins is fine with me.

CalderKing21 is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 05:54 PM
  #182
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,783
vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Was just coming to post this, interesting that Dreger finally says something about the Avs' coaching search
Dreger's credibility has been slipping as far as I'm concerned. He's started shotgun reporting a lot lately, throwing a whole ton of stuff up and leaning on his former credibility to lend credence to these quips.

Obviously I can't exactly prove he's full of it, but I'm less inclined to believe anything he says of late holds much water, especially regarding our organization. For all we know he's just repeating a rumor he heard a couple weeks back and the other day Sakic spoke to Roy and they both agreed to not push the topic further about coaching.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 06:01 PM
  #183
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,219
vCash: 500
Dreger isn't as reliable as others but he works for TSN and does have sources. Some news (whether it turns out to be true or not) is still better than no news at all.

The guy who usually provides info about the Avs coaching search thought Eakins was a junior coach until a fan corrected him the other day. He also said the Avs won't hire a coach out of junior and now he's saying the Avs could hire a coach out of junior.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 06:19 PM
  #184
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma , QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Dreger's response to Dater's article this morning:



I believe this is the first time someone other than Dater/Chambers has said anything about the Avs' new coach. Other than Friedman a few weeks ago.
I wouldnt mind that at all , but over here in Québec we didnt hear any rumours that Roy would go to Colorado ... at least not lately .

Frenchy is online now  
Old
05-19-2013, 07:02 PM
  #185
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,604
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Dreger isn't as reliable as others but he works for TSN and does have sources. Some news (whether it turns out to be true or not) is still better than no news at all.

The guy who usually provides info about the Avs coaching search thought Eakins was a junior coach until a fan corrected him the other day. He also said the Avs won't hire a coach out of junior and now he's saying the Avs could hire a coach out of junior.
That was me!

And now Dater responds to Dreger, saying:

Quote:
adater ‏@adater 27m
@DarrenDreger yes I am too

RockLobster is online now  
Old
05-19-2013, 07:42 PM
  #186
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct
 
RoyIsALegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,677
vCash: 160
I get so giddy when I think of Patrick as coach. It's so wrong, I'm not like that for any other athlete or situation. I just want him back and he's a clear winner. The best choice? I don't friggin' know, none of us are GMs, but Patrick back would be so awesome.

RoyIsALegend is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 07:44 PM
  #187
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,604
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I get so giddy when I think of Patrick as coach. It's so wrong, I'm not like that for any other athlete or situation. I just want him back and he's a clear winner. The best choice? I don't friggin' know, none of us are GMs, but Patrick back would be so awesome.
Surely some of the players have talked amongst themselves, I wonder who (if anyone) they are preferring among the names that are being rumored.

RockLobster is online now  
Old
05-19-2013, 08:32 PM
  #188
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct
 
RoyIsALegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,677
vCash: 160
Elliot Friedman on the Hotstove:

- It's tough to get info out of the Avs.
- His guys tell him they have begun going down the Patrick Roy path.
- Historically the Avs don't pay well for the HC job and that would have to change for Patrick.
- If Roy doesn't want the job, there are plenty of top candidates who want the job.
- Word around the league is Colorado's core is attractive and we are 2 years away from winning things.

Kevin Weekes then says that if Roy does come in, expect lots of changes.

RoyIsALegend is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 08:32 PM
  #189
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma , QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,654
vCash: 500
cbc hotstove just talked about Roy , they said that talks were heating up with the Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Elliot Friedman on the Hotstove:

- It's tough to get info out of the Avs.
- His guys tell him they have begun going down the Patrick Roy path.
- If Roy doesn't want the job, there are plenty of top candidates who want the job
- Word around the league is Colorado's core is attractive and many guys want the opportunity

Kevin Weekes then says that if Roy does come in, expect lots of changes.
...or Pretty much what TPS said . lol

Frenchy is online now  
Old
05-19-2013, 08:34 PM
  #190
Duchene2MacKinnon
RIP SvatosTheGreat
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,211
vCash: 400
The hotstove(Elliott) He talked about the avs and their coach, he said tipett was rumored but it's hard to get anything out of the avs organization(nothin new eh?). He said they now have gone the patty Roy way asked him what would it take to get him here and historically the avs haven't paid their coaches much. Asked If Roy would stand for that.

Weekes said the avs have the lowest salary from the coaching staff POV. SIGH.

Also Eliott said Tippet is waiting for the yotes situation to resolve itself until then he is off the market.

Wow you guys are fast lol.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now  
Old
05-19-2013, 08:39 PM
  #191
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Elliot Friedman on the Hotstove:

- It's tough to get info out of the Avs.
- His guys tell him they have begun going down the Patrick Roy path.
- Historically the Avs don't pay well for the HC job and that would have to change for Patrick.
- If Roy doesn't want the job, there are plenty of top candidates who want the job.
- Word around the league is Colorado's core is attractive and we are 2 years away from winning things.

Kevin Weekes then says that if Roy does come in, expect lots of changes.
Pretty much this. Except Weekes didn't say "expect lots of changes". He just said Roy would have not only an impact behind the bench but also with the fans.

The best part about that whole segment was Friedman mentioning how coaches want the Avs job because they think we're about two years away from really being something.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 09:04 PM
  #192
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,158
vCash: 500
If our core is so attractive. And we could get a "top guy" why would we go after Roy with zero NHL-experience?

RobinDIF is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 09:11 PM
  #193
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,604
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
If our core is so attractive. And we could get a "top guy" why would we go after Roy with zero NHL-experience?
Imagine his name isn't "Patrick Roy", but look at the credentials so far

307-138-32 Record since 2005 and 1 Memorial Cup (which is a difficult Cup to win)

That would certainly be somebody that I'd like the Avs to look at with great consideration, regardless of his ties to the franchise.

He's passionate, he has a winning track record, so this would be the ONLY "in-house" hire that I'd support by the Avalanche...even though I don't consider it "in-house" because he hasn't had anything to do with the Avs since his # Retirement

RockLobster is online now  
Old
05-19-2013, 09:12 PM
  #194
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,604
vCash: 844
Dater now picking up on the Roy talks (whether or not he's just piggy backing off of Friedman on HotStove remains to be seen)

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...medium=twitter

RockLobster is online now  
Old
05-19-2013, 09:19 PM
  #195
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Imagine his name isn't "Patrick Roy", but look at the credentials so far

307-138-32 Record since 2005 and 1 Memorial Cup (which is a difficult Cup to win)

That would certainly be somebody that I'd like the Avs to look at with great consideration, regardless of his ties to the franchise.

He's passionate, he has a winning track record, so this would be the ONLY "in-house" hire that I'd support by the Avalanche...even though I don't consider it "in-house" because he hasn't had anything to do with the Avs since his # Retirement
If we are an attractive team to take over. I wouldn't consider hiring someone straight out of juniors. But that is just me.

If his name wasn't Patrick Roy, I don't think he would have been considered for a second. And that is enough for me.

RobinDIF is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 09:23 PM
  #196
RockLobster
Moderator
Damnit, Jian Yang!
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,604
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
If we are an attractive team to take over. I wouldn't consider hiring someone straight out of juniors. But that is just me.

If his name wasn't Patrick Roy, I don't think he would have been considered for a second. And that is enough for me.
I don't know man, that's a 64% win percentage, I would think that if a coach could amass that, that they'd be heavily involved in consideration...now, does him being "Patrick Roy" hurt? Obviously not

RockLobster is online now  
Old
05-19-2013, 09:24 PM
  #197
Freudian
Clearly deranged
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 40,244
vCash: 50
Roy isn't on my top three list of who I would want, but if he's the guy I will look forward to him as the coach with a mix of anticipation and fear.

Freudian is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 09:25 PM
  #198
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Dater now picking up on the Roy talks (whether or not he's just piggy backing off of Friedman on HotStove remains to be seen)

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...medium=twitter
Friedman talks about Sakic possibly taking over, Billington getting a bigger role, and the Avs approaching Roy about the HC position. The next day Dater mentions the same stuff in his article and says he heard it from "league sources".

Today, Dreger tweets about Roy and Friedman says the Avs are talking to him. Then Dater comes out with an article saying Roy is back in the mix and he says he heard it from "a NHL source".

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 09:26 PM
  #199
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct
 
RoyIsALegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,677
vCash: 160
Dater thinks we are ********.

RoyIsALegend is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 09:31 PM
  #200
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,783
vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Dater thinks we are ********.
Sometimes I think the same thing about some people here... not naming any names. Fortunately the collective IQ of the HF Avs group here won't be going down anytime soon until Dater gets an account.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.