HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Avalanche Head Coach Discussion l Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by col9duchie View Post
There's this guy from team USA we could use... apparently he led them to a medal, with a bunch of scrubs...

LOL JK, that's the last time he'll be coaching a pro team
Phil Housley would be a great guy to add to our staff. I think he'll be a head coach in3-5 years, he thinks the game so well. The thought of him running our special teams and/or coaching the defense.... would make me very happy for a team that has lacked a good special teams and is drafting Jones (and has a former #1 overall that could use some mentoring).

Alas...

Any news on the coaching front? I haven't been paying attention for a week.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:06 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Phil Housley would be a great guy to add to our staff. I think he'll be a head coach in3-5 years, he thinks the game so well. The thought of him running our special teams and/or coaching the defense.... would make me very happy for a team that has lacked a good special teams and is drafting Jones (and has a former #1 overall that could use some mentoring).

Alas...

Any news on the coaching front? I haven't been paying attention for a week.
No new news, I would not be surprised to see this thing play out after the Playoffs are over and closer to the Draft.

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
Old
05-19-2013, 02:12 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 50
Hopefully the Avs are waiting for the Marlies to get knocked off to hire Eakins

Old
05-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Dreger's response to Dater's article this morning:

Quote:
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
@adater. Interesting read. I keep hearing things are still tracking in direction of P. Roy as head coach of Avs.
I believe this is the first time someone other than Dater/Chambers has said anything about the Avs' new coach. Other than Friedman a few weeks ago.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:47 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Was just coming to post this, interesting that Dreger finally says something about the Avs' coaching search

Old
05-19-2013, 05:52 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 450
Quote:

I believe this is the first time someone other than Dater/Chambers has said anything about the Avs' new coach. Other than Friedman a few weeks ago.
i'm all for this move. Roy or Eakins is fine with me.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Was just coming to post this, interesting that Dreger finally says something about the Avs' coaching search
Dreger's credibility has been slipping as far as I'm concerned. He's started shotgun reporting a lot lately, throwing a whole ton of stuff up and leaning on his former credibility to lend credence to these quips.

Obviously I can't exactly prove he's full of it, but I'm less inclined to believe anything he says of late holds much water, especially regarding our organization. For all we know he's just repeating a rumor he heard a couple weeks back and the other day Sakic spoke to Roy and they both agreed to not push the topic further about coaching.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Dreger isn't as reliable as others but he works for TSN and does have sources. Some news (whether it turns out to be true or not) is still better than no news at all.

The guy who usually provides info about the Avs coaching search thought Eakins was a junior coach until a fan corrected him the other day. He also said the Avs won't hire a coach out of junior and now he's saying the Avs could hire a coach out of junior.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

I wouldnt mind that at all , but over here in Québec we didnt hear any rumours that Roy would go to Colorado ... at least not lately .

Old
05-19-2013, 07:02 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
Dreger isn't as reliable as others but he works for TSN and does have sources. Some news (whether it turns out to be true or not) is still better than no news at all.

The guy who usually provides info about the Avs coaching search thought Eakins was a junior coach until a fan corrected him the other day. He also said the Avs won't hire a coach out of junior and now he's saying the Avs could hire a coach out of junior.
That was me!

And now Dater responds to Dreger, saying:

Quote:
adater ‏@adater 27m
@DarrenDreger yes I am too

Old
05-19-2013, 07:42 PM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 160
I get so giddy when I think of Patrick as coach. It's so wrong, I'm not like that for any other athlete or situation. I just want him back and he's a clear winner. The best choice? I don't friggin' know, none of us are GMs, but Patrick back would be so awesome.

Old
05-19-2013, 07:44 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I get so giddy when I think of Patrick as coach. It's so wrong, I'm not like that for any other athlete or situation. I just want him back and he's a clear winner. The best choice? I don't friggin' know, none of us are GMs, but Patrick back would be so awesome.
Surely some of the players have talked amongst themselves, I wonder who (if anyone) they are preferring among the names that are being rumored.

Old
05-19-2013, 08:32 PM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

Elliot Friedman on the Hotstove:

- It's tough to get info out of the Avs.
- His guys tell him they have begun going down the Patrick Roy path.
- Historically the Avs don't pay well for the HC job and that would have to change for Patrick.
- If Roy doesn't want the job, there are plenty of top candidates who want the job.
- Word around the league is Colorado's core is attractive and we are 2 years away from winning things.

Kevin Weekes then says that if Roy does come in, expect lots of changes.

Old
05-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

cbc hotstove just talked about Roy , they said that talks were heating up with the Avs

Quote:

- If Roy doesn't want the job, there are plenty of top candidates who want the job
- Word around the league is Colorado's core is attractive and many guys want the opportunity

...or Pretty much what TPS said . lol

Old
05-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
RIP SvatosTheGreat

vCash: 400
The hotstove(Elliott) He talked about the avs and their coach, he said tipett was rumored but it's hard to get anything out of the avs organization(nothin new eh?). He said they now have gone the patty Roy way asked him what would it take to get him here and historically the avs haven't paid their coaches much. Asked If Roy would stand for that.

Weekes said the avs have the lowest salary from the coaching staff POV. SIGH.

Also Eliott said Tippet is waiting for the yotes situation to resolve itself until then he is off the market.

Wow you guys are fast lol.

Old
05-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:

- Historically the Avs don't pay well for the HC job and that would have to change for Patrick.
- If Roy doesn't want the job, there are plenty of top candidates who want the job.
- Word around the league is Colorado's core is attractive and we are 2 years away from winning things.

Pretty much this. Except Weekes didn't say "expect lots of changes". He just said Roy would have not only an impact behind the bench but also with the fans.

The best part about that whole segment was Friedman mentioning how coaches want the Avs job because they think we're about two years away from really being something.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:04 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

If our core is so attractive. And we could get a "top guy" why would we go after Roy with zero NHL-experience?

Old
05-19-2013, 09:11 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
If our core is so attractive. And we could get a "top guy" why would we go after Roy with zero NHL-experience?
Imagine his name isn't "Patrick Roy", but look at the credentials so far

307-138-32 Record since 2005 and 1 Memorial Cup (which is a difficult Cup to win)

That would certainly be somebody that I'd like the Avs to look at with great consideration, regardless of his ties to the franchise.

He's passionate, he has a winning track record, so this would be the ONLY "in-house" hire that I'd support by the Avalanche...even though I don't consider it "in-house" because he hasn't had anything to do with the Avs since his # Retirement

Old
05-19-2013, 09:12 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Dater now picking up on the Roy talks (whether or not he's just piggy backing off of Friedman on HotStove remains to be seen)

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...medium=twitter

Old
05-19-2013, 09:19 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Imagine his name isn't "Patrick Roy", but look at the credentials so far

307-138-32 Record since 2005 and 1 Memorial Cup (which is a difficult Cup to win)

That would certainly be somebody that I'd like the Avs to look at with great consideration, regardless of his ties to the franchise.

He's passionate, he has a winning track record, so this would be the ONLY "in-house" hire that I'd support by the Avalanche...even though I don't consider it "in-house" because he hasn't had anything to do with the Avs since his # Retirement
If we are an attractive team to take over. I wouldn't consider hiring someone straight out of juniors. But that is just me.

If his name wasn't Patrick Roy, I don't think he would have been considered for a second. And that is enough for me.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:23 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
If we are an attractive team to take over. I wouldn't consider hiring someone straight out of juniors. But that is just me.

If his name wasn't Patrick Roy, I don't think he would have been considered for a second. And that is enough for me.
I don't know man, that's a 64% win percentage, I would think that if a coach could amass that, that they'd be heavily involved in consideration...now, does him being "Patrick Roy" hurt? Obviously not

Old
05-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Roy isn't on my top three list of who I would want, but if he's the guy I will look forward to him as the coach with a mix of anticipation and fear.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Dater now picking up on the Roy talks (whether or not he's just piggy backing off of Friedman on HotStove remains to be seen)

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...medium=twitter
Friedman talks about Sakic possibly taking over, Billington getting a bigger role, and the Avs approaching Roy about the HC position. The next day Dater mentions the same stuff in his article and says he heard it from "league sources".

Today, Dreger tweets about Roy and Friedman says the Avs are talking to him. Then Dater comes out with an article saying Roy is back in the mix and he says he heard it from "a NHL source".

Old
05-19-2013, 09:26 PM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

Dater thinks we are ********.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Dater thinks we are ********.
Sometimes I think the same thing about some people here... not naming any names. Fortunately the collective IQ of the HF Avs group here won't be going down anytime soon until Dater gets an account.

Closed Thread