HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Top 5 players on a breakaway/penalty shot

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2005, 02:40 PM
  #1
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,753
vCash: 500
Top 5 players on a breakaway/penalty shot

This should spark a wide range of opinions. Who was the best player ever on a breakaway? Who were the top 5 in your opinion. Who was on a breakaway and it was lights out, you KNEW they'd score in the pit of your stomach.

My 5 and why:

1. Mario Lemieux - Like you had to even ask eh? There was a reason that when Lemieux was in all alone on a goalie the goalie would have this deer-in-the-headlights look on him. That's cause Lemieux knew he mad them at his mercy. he almost looked like he would toy with the goalie, but it didnt matter anyways. He'd either put it top shelf over the goalies shoulder or in the top corner after it grazed the post on the inside, or he'd use his big reach and when the goalie goes the other way he'd just casually slide it in. My favourite one of Lemieux is when in '93 he had a clear cut breakaway vs. the Rangers and with such ease he just dekes Healy out of his jock. Its on Rock 'Em Sock Em #5. Healy looks so bad on that one but he wasnt Mario was just that good. Plus he's 6/8 on penalty shots. Who stopped him? I'm not sure. Why was Mario so good on breakaways? I dont know ask Mylnikov (Russian goalie in Game 3 of '87 Canada Cup who allowed mario's famous top corner goal from Gretzky).

2. Pavel Bure - The thing with Bure is that his speed scared the pants off of you. A goalie wouldnt have time to react cause he'd be in there so fast. His best move was forcing the goalie to open up his legs and then putting it five hole as he was moving side to side. He made it look so easy, but no one else did it with such ease. Bure was more of the type to deke the goalie out of position rather than putting it top shelf. It was a miracle when Richter stopped him on a penalty shot in '94. But for whatever reason it was always lights out when he was in all alone. Mike Vernon will tell you that one.

3. Mike Bossy - The thing about Bossy was his scoring touch. He could put the puck up on the edge if he had to just to find a hole. And he did. He was another guy who hypnotized goalies back in his day, maybe not to the extent of Lemieux but he was just a pure bona fide sniper who scored, scored and scored. He scored the Cup winner in '83 on a breakaway form centre. Let's just say the puck was in before he even shot.

4. Jaromir Jagr - Love him or hate him, this guy scored when it was just him or the goalie (or two defenseman for that matter). He may be past his prime now but think about him from '94-01. Jagr made your jaw drop witht he way he deked the goalies out. He also had a gave the goalies a mental disadvantage much to the way Hasek did to shooters. In his prime he always did the same thing on goalies. He'd go back and forth with the puck 5 or six times before finally making his mind up to go forehand or backhand, which by then the goalie was usually dizzy. I remember Glenn Healy making a glove save of Jagr when he had been deked out of position in the late 90s. Even Healy looked surprised that he had it. Remember in the '98 Olympics in the shootout when he was the 4th shooter against Roy? If he scores its over. I remember just watching him come down the ice with those trademark hair locks and time just stopped, somehow he just hit the post. But he did that to you. When he had a breakaway, you never got up and went to the bathroom.

5. Joe Sakic - I may or may not get grilled on this one. But to me if I needed a goal on a penalty shot in the current NHL (not all time), I'd bet the farm on Joe. He WILL score. You just know that. It isnt his breakaway prowess that makes you think of him, but how often does he get stuffed when he's alone. Sakic has the best wrist shot in the game, and arguably the most accurate. He'll look for a hole and just aim. Remember in '02 Olympics when he went in alone on Richter. Lets just say he was NOT going to miss on that one, you knew it. It was his smarts and accuracy that set(s) him aside. That and his speed. He just had shots labelled before they left his stick.


Okay there it is. Feel free to disagree on that one I know some will. Other guys I think of are Lafleur, Goulet, Cournoyer. Currently Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, St. Louis, come to mind.

Big Phil is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 02:45 PM
  #2
sparr0w
Registered User
 
sparr0w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,384
vCash: 500
I'll go with your top 4 and keep the 5 spot open. (I hate filling out top# lists because there are usually a ton more that could fill it out.)

sparr0w is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 03:05 PM
  #3
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
This should spark a wide range of opinions. Who was the best player ever on a breakaway? Who were the top 5 in your opinion. Who was on a breakaway and it was lights out, you KNEW they'd score in the pit of your stomach.

My 5 and why:

1. Mario Lemieux - Like you had to even ask eh? There was a reason that when Lemieux was in all alone on a goalie the goalie would have this deer-in-the-headlights look on him. That's cause Lemieux knew he mad them at his mercy. he almost looked like he would toy with the goalie, but it didnt matter anyways. He'd either put it top shelf over the goalies shoulder or in the top corner after it grazed the post on the inside, or he'd use his big reach and when the goalie goes the other way he'd just casually slide it in. My favourite one of Lemieux is when in '93 he had a clear cut breakaway vs. the Rangers and with such ease he just dekes Healy out of his jock. Its on Rock 'Em Sock Em #5. Healy looks so bad on that one but he wasnt Mario was just that good. Plus he's 6/8 on penalty shots. Who stopped him? I'm not sure. Why was Mario so good on breakaways? I dont know ask Mylnikov (Russian goalie in Game 3 of '87 Canada Cup who allowed mario's famous top corner goal from Gretzky).

2. Pavel Bure - The thing with Bure is that his speed scared the pants off of you. A goalie wouldnt have time to react cause he'd be in there so fast. His best move was forcing the goalie to open up his legs and then putting it five hole as he was moving side to side. He made it look so easy, but no one else did it with such ease. Bure was more of the type to deke the goalie out of position rather than putting it top shelf. It was a miracle when Richter stopped him on a penalty shot in '94. But for whatever reason it was always lights out when he was in all alone. Mike Vernon will tell you that one.

3. Mike Bossy - The thing about Bossy was his scoring touch. He could put the puck up on the edge if he had to just to find a hole. And he did. He was another guy who hypnotized goalies back in his day, maybe not to the extent of Lemieux but he was just a pure bona fide sniper who scored, scored and scored. He scored the Cup winner in '83 on a breakaway form centre. Let's just say the puck was in before he even shot.

4. Jaromir Jagr - Love him or hate him, this guy scored when it was just him or the goalie (or two defenseman for that matter). He may be past his prime now but think about him from '94-01. Jagr made your jaw drop witht he way he deked the goalies out. He also had a gave the goalies a mental disadvantage much to the way Hasek did to shooters. In his prime he always did the same thing on goalies. He'd go back and forth with the puck 5 or six times before finally making his mind up to go forehand or backhand, which by then the goalie was usually dizzy. I remember Glenn Healy making a glove save of Jagr when he had been deked out of position in the late 90s. Even Healy looked surprised that he had it. Remember in the '98 Olympics in the shootout when he was the 4th shooter against Roy? If he scores its over. I remember just watching him come down the ice with those trademark hair locks and time just stopped, somehow he just hit the post. But he did that to you. When he had a breakaway, you never got up and went to the bathroom.

5. Joe Sakic - I may or may not get grilled on this one. But to me if I needed a goal on a penalty shot in the current NHL (not all time), I'd bet the farm on Joe. He WILL score. You just know that. It isnt his breakaway prowess that makes you think of him, but how often does he get stuffed when he's alone. Sakic has the best wrist shot in the game, and arguably the most accurate. He'll look for a hole and just aim. Remember in '02 Olympics when he went in alone on Richter. Lets just say he was NOT going to miss on that one, you knew it. It was his smarts and accuracy that set(s) him aside. That and his speed. He just had shots labelled before they left his stick.


Okay there it is. Feel free to disagree on that one I know some will. Other guys I think of are Lafleur, Goulet, Cournoyer. Currently Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, St. Louis, come to mind.
Man its so tough to choose.

Rocket, Lafleur, Lemieux, Bossy, Bure and Jagr. Sakic is great but not the best. Cournoyer was great but he lost control of the puck on breakaways sometimes due to his incredible speed.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 03:13 PM
  #4
West19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Not as flashy as others but Forsberg always seems to get it done on a breakaway otherwise i pretty much agree with Big Phils top 5


Last edited by West19: 05-09-2005 at 03:32 PM.
West19 is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 03:20 PM
  #5
BuppY
100% Aloe Vera
 
BuppY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,233
vCash: 500
Sakic is great on a penalty shots but where he's really great and scores bunch of his goals is on 2 on 1's or 3 on 1thats when his wrist shot becoems even more important and he just picks his corners.

BuppY is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 05:05 PM
  #6
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuppY
Sakic is great on a penalty shots but where he's really great and scores bunch of his goals is on 2 on 1's or 3 on 1thats when his wrist shot becoems even more important and he just picks his corners.

I know everybody believes that Gretzky was horrible on penalty shots and breakaways but, when it mattered, he always scored.

He never missed a penalty shot in his career and during a critical time in the playoffs (I clearly remember the 1991 Canada Cup semifinal vs. Sweden) he always put it in. He was clutch when one on one.

Is he the best ever on breakaways? No way. But, when the game is on the line, give me Gretzky. (Crawford you idiot)

Ogopogo* is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 05:41 PM
  #7
Galchenkel
Registered User
 
Galchenkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint Pierre
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 1,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
datsyuk is strong! don't you never heard of that time in Detroit when during a practice guys had 10 breakaways opportunities and datsyuk was the only one to score 10 times! and more...he scored in 10 different way

Galchenkel is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 06:06 PM
  #8
tom_servo
Registered User
 
tom_servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 13,049
vCash: 500
"Plus he's 6/8 on penalty shots. Who stopped him? I'm not sure."

One was Hasek, in either '96 or '97. I think Hasek always had some relative success against Lemieux. I remember he stopped Lemieux on a breakaway in the '92 Finals.

tom_servo is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 06:30 PM
  #9
VanIslander
Don't waste my time
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 23,143
vCash: 500
I'm sorry but... this thread is inane without statistics!

Could someone provide a link?

VanIslander is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 07:35 PM
  #10
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
"Plus he's 6/8 on penalty shots. Who stopped him? I'm not sure."

One was Hasek, in either '96 or '97. I think Hasek always had some relative success against Lemieux. I remember he stopped Lemieux on a breakaway in the '92 Finals.
How many people have scored against Hasek on breakaways? Not too much to say the least

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 07:40 PM
  #11
FLYLine27
BrassGod
 
FLYLine27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 38,787
vCash: 500
Bure Bure Bure, every goalie knows the exact deke he is going to do (since he always does the same one) and bure always manages to still get the puck past them. (Cept Richter who is definitely top 3 goalies on breakaways/Penalty shots...10/11 on PS's)

FLYLine27 is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 07:43 PM
  #12
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Bure Bure Bure, every goalie knows the exact deke he is going to do (since he always does the same one) and bure always manages to still get the puck past them. (Cept Richter who is definitely top 3 goalies on breakaways/Penalty shots...10/11 on PS's)
Bure had two moves. The one deke, and then the quick wrist/snap shot through the 5-hole. He's the 2nd best I've ever seen, and the only one even in Lemieux's universe.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
05-09-2005, 07:54 PM
  #13
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 36,070
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
Lemieux
Bure
Jagr
Sakic
Mogilny

Porn* is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 02:22 AM
  #14
Marcus-74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Sergei Makarov!

Great on breakaways, great on 1-on-1... with Lemieux, the most difficult guy to handle ever for the goalies and defensemen.

Marcus-74 is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 07:08 AM
  #15
Masao
Registered User
 
Masao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 10,547
vCash: 500
Aside from the obvious guys like Lemieux or Jagr, in the past couple of years I've been really amazed by Ilya Kovalchuk's finish on breakaways. He just seems to beam through the ice and beat the goalie with such quick moves that it's hard to see what he did. Unbelievable quickness and agility.

Masao is offline  
Old
05-10-2005, 07:39 AM
  #16
joepeps
Registered User
 
joepeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,820
vCash: 500
Lemieux
Bure
Mogilny
Jagr
Nash

joepeps is offline  
Old
05-28-2005, 09:17 AM
  #17
David
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Big Phil]This should spark a wide range of opinions. Who was the best player ever on a breakaway? Who were the top 5 in your opinion. Who was on a breakaway and it was lights out, you KNEW they'd score in the pit of your stomach.

My 5 and why:

1. Mario Lemieux - Like you had to even ask eh? There was a reason that when Lemieux was in all alone on a goalie the goalie would have this deer-in-the-headlights look on him. That's cause Lemieux knew he mad them at his mercy. he almost looked like he would toy with the goalie, but it didnt matter anyways. He'd either put it top shelf over the goalies shoulder or in the top corner after it grazed the post on the inside, or he'd use his big reach and when the goalie goes the other way he'd just casually slide it in. My favourite one of Lemieux is when in '93 he had a clear cut breakaway vs. the Rangers and with such ease he just dekes Healy out of his jock. Its on Rock 'Em Sock Em #5. Healy looks so bad on that one but he wasnt Mario was just that good. Plus he's 6/8 on penalty shots. Who stopped him? I'm not sure. Why was Mario so good on breakaways? I dont know ask Mylnikov (Russian goalie in Game 3 of '87 Canada Cup who allowed mario's famous top corner goal from Gretzky).

2. Pavel Bure - The thing with Bure is that his speed scared the pants off of you. A goalie wouldnt have time to react cause he'd be in there so fast. His best move was forcing the goalie to open up his legs and then putting it five hole as he was moving side to side. He made it look so easy, but no one else did it with such ease. Bure was more of the type to deke the goalie out of position rather than putting it top shelf. It was a miracle when Richter stopped him on a penalty shot in '94. But for whatever reason it was always lights out when he was in all alone. Mike Vernon will tell you that one.

3. Mike Bossy - The thing about Bossy was his scoring touch. He could put the puck up on the edge if he had to just to find a hole. And he did. He was another guy who hypnotized goalies back in his day, maybe not to the extent of Lemieux but he was just a pure bona fide sniper who scored, scored and scored. He scored the Cup winner in '83 on a breakaway form centre. Let's just say the puck was in before he even shot.

4. Jaromir Jagr - Love him or hate him, this guy scored when it was just him or the goalie (or two defenseman for that matter). He may be past his prime now but think about him from '94-01. Jagr made your jaw drop witht he way he deked the goalies out. He also had a gave the goalies a mental disadvantage much to the way Hasek did to shooters. In his prime he always did the same thing on goalies. He'd go back and forth with the puck 5 or six times before finally making his mind up to go forehand or backhand, which by then the goalie was usually dizzy. I remember Glenn Healy making a glove save of Jagr when he had been deked out of position in the late 90s. Even Healy looked surprised that he had it. Remember in the '98 Olympics in the shootout when he was the 4th shooter against Roy? If he scores its over. I remember just watching him come down the ice with those trademark hair locks and time just stopped, somehow he just hit the post. But he did that to you. When he had a breakaway, you never got up and went to the bathroom.

5. Joe Sakic - I may or may not get grilled on this one. But to me if I needed a goal on a penalty shot in the current NHL (not all time), I'd bet the farm on Joe. He WILL score. You just know that. It isnt his breakaway prowess that makes you think of him, but how often does he get stuffed when he's alone. Sakic has the best wrist shot in the game, and arguably the most accurate. He'll look for a hole and just aim. Remember in '02 Olympics when he went in alone on Richter. Lets just say he was NOT going to miss on that one, you knew it. It was his smarts and accuracy that set(s) him aside. That and his speed. He just had shots labelled before they left his stick.


[QUOTE]

I can't think of anyone I would choose over your top 5...although not necessarily in the same order. And I would bet the farm of Joe too!

David is offline  
Old
05-28-2005, 10:26 AM
  #18
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Bure
Lemieux
Jagr
Kovalchuk
Forsberg (see avatar )

Heat McManus is offline  
Old
05-28-2005, 10:38 AM
  #19
jacketracket*
 
jacketracket*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ... double cream."
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil

5. Joe Sakic - I may or may not get grilled on this one. But to me if I needed a goal on a penalty shot in the current NHL (not all time), I'd bet the farm on Joe. He WILL score. You just know that. It isnt his breakaway prowess that makes you think of him, but how often does he get stuffed when he's alone. Sakic has the best wrist shot in the game, and arguably the most accurate. He'll look for a hole and just aim. Remember in '02 Olympics when he went in alone on Richter. Lets just say he was NOT going to miss on that one, you knew it. It was his smarts and accuracy that set(s) him aside. That and his speed. He just had shots labelled before they left his stick.

One of my all-time favorite CBJ/Nationwide Arena moments ... CBJ and Colorado, in an OT game late last season. Sakic goes in all alone on a breakaway from the red line, puts a shot high glove-side, and Denis gloves it.

CBJ score later in OT to take their first franchise win against the hated Avs.

Edit: forgot to mention that Denis had also stoned Kariya on a penalty shot earlier in the game


Last edited by jacketracket*: 05-28-2005 at 11:34 AM.
jacketracket* is offline  
Old
05-28-2005, 11:43 AM
  #20
SSM12
Registered User
 
SSM12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
bondra aint to shabby either

SSM12 is offline  
Old
05-28-2005, 07:12 PM
  #21
tom_servo
Registered User
 
tom_servo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 13,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM12
bondra aint to shabby either
I was under the impression that Bondra wasn't terribly good on breakaways.

tom_servo is offline  
Old
05-29-2005, 03:07 AM
  #22
12# Peter Bondra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
I was under the impression that Bondra wasn't terribly good on breakaways.
Id say he was good on breakaways but not on penalty shots.

12# Peter Bondra is offline  
Old
05-29-2005, 07:10 AM
  #23
someguy44
Registered User
 
someguy44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Space Jail
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
"Plus he's 6/8 on penalty shots. Who stopped him? I'm not sure."

One was Hasek, in either '96 or '97. I think Hasek always had some relative success against Lemieux. I remember he stopped Lemieux on a breakaway in the '92 Finals.
Bill Rantford (sp?) was the other. Now, do I get a cookie?

someguy44 is offline  
Old
06-04-2005, 02:23 AM
  #24
Hadoop
25 to Life
 
Hadoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by medmed
datsyuk is strong! don't you never heard of that time in Detroit when during a practice guys had 10 breakaways opportunities and datsyuk was the only one to score 10 times! and more...he scored in 10 different way
Wow that's INSANE!

Hadoop is offline  
Old
06-04-2005, 04:03 PM
  #25
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,898
vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
"Plus he's 6/8 on penalty shots. Who stopped him? I'm not sure."

One was Hasek, in either '96 or '97. I think Hasek always had some relative success against Lemieux. I remember he stopped Lemieux on a breakaway in the '92 Finals.

The late Bunny Larocque stopped Wayne on a ps in a 6-1 Leaf win sometime around 81/82 on Hockey Night in Canada.

Bring Back Bucky is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.