HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Nikita Nesterov (2011, 148th overall, Tampa Bay)

Old
03-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Jacko95

vCash: 500
LD Nikita Nesterov (2011, 148th overall, Tampa Bay)

Can some Russians give me/ Tampa fans a scouting report? The Bolts seem to be incredible high on him (#4 on their prospects list according to Future Watch), but his stats aren't very meaningful, so it would be nice to get some inside.
Is he the top pairing shutdown D prospect, the list makes him? He is above the likes of Koekkoek and Barberio and those are projected as second pairing Ds at minimum.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Fedorov
Bab Bye Holland Next

I know he played in the WJC a few times. I am by no means a pro scout or even a casual scout. I kinda feel like the Tampa organization thinks they got a steal where they drafted him no matter where he cracks their lineup if he eventually does. I don't think he has a lot of offensive upside. I think he will be counted on to develop into a more defensive defensman. I am guessing he an Koekkoek will kinda be competing for the same role.

Fedorov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:23 PM
TampaBolt
Muck Fichigan!

He is projected as a #5-6 defenseman with some second pairing potential. He is an above average skater with puck moving skills that need a little work. While a little undersized, he is not afraid of contact. Decent shot. I saw him a lot while watching KHL streams during the lockout, since I followed Traktor because of Kuznetsov. I believe he is either hit or miss which ain't that bad for a 5th rounder. I am no scout but that's my take on him. Hope it helps.

Edit: I believe he is a tier under Koekkoek and in the same tier a Barb. I see him as a two-way D. Again take for what it's worth.

TampaBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:23 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Has a very high ceiling. Yzerman said when they got him that he should have gone much higher.. I can tell you that he wont be ready for a few years. He makes bad decisions on a regular basis. Has skills though just needs the sand paper. Its good that he's seeing time for Traktor, there team is ridiculously loaded.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:09 AM
Fulcrum

Yes, his decision making on and off the puck is poor. He tries to be creative, but it causes bad turnovers and he can get caught out of position defensively.

He has a solid shot, he sees the ice well, despite bad decisions, and he is gritty and will battle hard and win a lot of the battles for his size. It's obvious that if and when he matures in hockey sense and puts it together with his skill set he would make a solid player.

I would guess 2-3 years before we seem him reach a serious level as I think he will be a later bloomer.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
I know he played in the WJC a few times. I am by no means a pro scout or even a casual scout. I kinda feel like the Tampa organization thinks they got a steal where they drafted him no matter where he cracks their lineup if he eventually does. I don't think he has a lot of offensive upside. I think he will be counted on to develop into a more defensive defensman. I am guessing he an Koekkoek will kinda be competing for the same role.
I actually think he has far more offensive upside than defensive prowess. I thought he was Russia's most talented D man in the last WJC. The two things that seem to stand out about his play are: (1) a lot of talent as a skater, puckhandler, etc., and (2) notoriously bad blunders on the ice, as Fulcrum makes reference to. He just can't seem to get it right, but at the same time, he has a lot of talent.

Yakushev72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Jacko95

Thanks guys for the inside, but you all say he is more of a TWD than a shutdown D, so I wonder if he was rushed in the KHL? Wouldn't it be better to play him in the VHL, if he makes many mistakes? because wasn't able to get any points the whole season.

Old
12-11-2014, 04:48 AM
Flynn84

Any chance to get some NHL experience this season? Or next year?

Flynn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2014, 04:51 AM
Flynn84

Who will be the first call-up D from Syracuse if needed?

Flynn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2014, 09:09 AM
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming

Luke Witkowski will be the 1st call up

GoBoltz56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Zero chance this guy sees the NHL this season or even next season, we have a lot of depth on D. Witkowski and probably Cote and Koekkoek are ahead of him.

Mikey 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
Zero chance this guy sees the NHL this season or even next season, we have a lot of depth on D. Witkowski and probably Cote and Koekkoek are ahead of him.
Reading the interview from the Crunch, it sounds like Nesterov is actually ahead of Koekkoek on the pecking order.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Reading the interview from the Crunch, it sounds like Nesterov is actually ahead of Koekkoek on the pecking order.
And by next year this won't be the case. Anyways, we'd have to lose like 3 defenders to injury in order for him to play in the NHL

12-11-2014, 10:01 AM
wings5

Quote:
Too bad, two years in the AHL is usually the maximum amount of time for Russians before they begin to get fed up and go to the KHL, there are exceptions like Gratchev, Mayorov but many don't stick it that long. Hope he gets a shot somewhere he definitely is NHL caliber.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
And by next year this won't be the case. Anyways, we'd have to lose like 3 defenders to injury in order for him to play in the NHL
Perhaps, I actually read a few articles on the matter where they interviewed scouts from Tampa, pretty much all of them Agreed that Nesterov has a higher ceiling than Koekkoek. I guess the huge difference is the likely hood on reaching it. I could see Nesterov being a staple for us in a couple of years. If he hits his ceiling, he could very well be a top pairing defenseman, though the likelihood of that is still slim.

Old
12-11-2014, 06:22 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Perhaps, I actually read a few articles on the matter where they interviewed scouts from Tampa, pretty much all of them Agreed that Nesterov has a higher ceiling than Koekkoek. I guess the huge difference is the likely hood on reaching it. I could see Nesterov being a staple for us in a couple of years. If he hits his ceiling, he could very well be a top pairing defenseman, though the likelihood of that is still slim.
Link? I've literally never heard anyone say that. I've seen good reports about him but nothing saying he could have top pair potential.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Link? I've literally never heard anyone say that. I've seen good reports about him but nothing saying he could have top pair potential.
I was pretty confused about this too, considering even BP has him listed as our 23rd best prospect, behind the likes of Jake Dotchin and Brendan O'Donnell.

Old
12-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Mortgage Broker

vCash: 540
This guy must be showing something I dont see because I got Koekkoek ahead of him. Slater is the full package.

Mortgage Broker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Hockeynews magazine. Same issue that talked about Conachers diabetic issues. It was about two years ago. Sorry don't feel like digging throw a bunch of boxes to find a couple year magazine to take a picture to prove my point.

Old
12-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Callum
Kiwi

From what I understand from some friends who watch Syracuse regularly is Slater is ahead of him, but this has only happened recently. This is no knock on Nesterov but it's just Slater catching up on his development.

The couple of negatives I keep hearing about Nesterov's game is that his decision making is off at key times and he's one dimensional on the PP with just taking one-timers.

I like his upside though!

Callum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2015, 12:02 AM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Looks like I was wrong.

Played in his first NHL game tonight. Looked good, apparently, as I wasn't able to watch the game.

Old
01-01-2015, 01:55 AM
ZeroPT*
He's comin for us!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Looks like I was wrong.

Played in his first NHL game tonight. Looked good, apparently, as I wasn't able to watch the game.
He was solid. For a 1st NHL game he was good. I don't like the high numbers Tampa is giving all these Russians. Vasilevskiy 88, Kucherov 86, Nesterov,89, Namestnikov 90.

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2015, 05:07 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
He was solid. For a 1st NHL game he was good. I don't like the high numbers Tampa is giving all these Russians. Vasilevskiy 88, Kucherov 86, Nesterov,89, Namestnikov 90.
I was never into this numbers thing, but don't they chose their numbers on their own?
I mean they play the same numbers in SYR as well?

Also whats the problem behind those numbers? Other than just so many Russians seem to work out great for us

Old
01-01-2015, 07:49 AM
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
I think Tampa let's them choose their numbers, but man, 88 for a goalie and 89 for a Dman are weird to see.

Follower of Yzlam is online now   Reply With Quote