HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Switzerland Roster (Released, post #1)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2013, 04:12 PM
  #126
Shawn Heins 44
Registered User
 
Shawn Heins 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageteam View Post
I believe the rankings to an extent and Sweden is #1 right now, so it's no disrespect to the Swiss that someone is skeptical they can take out Sweden in a do-or-die. But I think this Swiss team can beat anybody on their night... they're no longer part of the "free points" group (Slovenia and Austria, and to a lesser extent Latvia and Norway). Any team who decides to take a night off against them should expect to get romped.

Weber was waived by the Canucks and seems to be considering going back to Switzerland, although is so far tearing it up in the AHL. Any chance he makes the team? What about Sbisa who is injured again?
You summed it up pretty well. We can beat any team if our goalie gets hot and of course we have a good portion of luck.

I would be very surpised to see Weber at the Olympics. He really needs to tear the AHL up big time to get an invitation. There are better options back home that are also used to the big ice.

Sbisa is probably a lock if he gets healthy, we dont have anyone that brings the physilcal element that he does on our D.

Josi - Diaz
Sbisa - Streit

are probably the first two pairs.

Shawn Heins 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:29 AM
  #127
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
Vauclair seems to be a big question mark, it's not even clear if he can return on the ice again after the check he recieved from Holden.
Vauclair will play tomorrow, hopefully this time he has fully recovered.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 06:54 AM
  #128
Richi
Registered User
 
Richi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 830
vCash: 409
How I see it at the moment:

Goalies:

Tobias Stephan (Genève Servette) - Not going, let´s in too many soft goals
Reto Berra (Calgary Flames NHL) - Probably the starter or 1A/B
Martin Gerber (Kloten Flyers) - Should be goalie number 3, providing his experience
Benjamin Conz (Fribourg Gottéron) - Definitively not going
Jonas Hiller (Anaheim Ducks NHL ) - Possibly the back-up, or tandem with Berra
Leanardo Genoni (HC Davos) - The fact that he's injured destroys any chance of his
Lukas Flüeler (ZSC Lions) - The best goalie in the swiss league this season, but still slim chance of going

New:
Lukas Flüeler (ZSC Lions)

Defenseman:

Roman Josi (Nashville Predators - NHL) - A lock!
Luca Sbisa (Anaheim Ducks - NHL) - If he's healthy he'll play
Mark Streit (Philadelphia Flyers - NHL ) - Probably the captain! Sharing the role with Seger, if Seger makes the team!
Yannick Weber (Vancouver Canucks - NHL )- He´s been playing very well in the AHL, but there are better offensive defensemen on the team (Streit, Josi, Diaz)
Rafael Diaz ((Montreal Canadiens - NHL) - A Lock!
Severin Blindenbacher (ZSC Lions) - He definitively has chances of making the team, tough guy with offensive skills. He´ll have to battle for a spot with Weber, Von Gunten and Du Bois
Matthias Seger (ZSC Lions) - Was the captain during the World Championships last year, should make the team due to experience, even though he´s not
Eric Blum (Kloten Flyers) - No
Philippe Furrer (SC Bern) - No, until very recently he´s had a really bad season with his team and he battled with injuries
Robin Grossmann (HC Davos) - Maybe, but his chances aren´t that good
Julien Vauclair (HC Lugano) - Will not make the team, he suffered a concussion that threatened his career. I don´t think he´ll be fully recovered until the Olympics
Patrick von Gunten (Kloten Flyers) - Slim chances
Felicien Du Bois (Kloten Flyers) - Slim chances, stepped up his play lately
Goran Bezina (Genève Servette) - Should make the team. Strong guy with a booming slapshot. But he´s a defensive liability...
Tim Ramholt (HC Davos) - If Sbisa doesn´t make it, Ramholt possibly gets his spot as tough guy
Dean Kukan (Lulea SVE), - No, but he´s got potential

Forwards:

Andres Ambühl (HC Davos) - Almost a Lock
Matthias Bieber (Kloten Flyers) - Maybe
Simon Bodenmann (Kloten Flyers) - Maybe, very skilled forward
Dario Bürgler (HC Davos) - Slim chances. Last season he played great, but this season...
Luca Cunti (ZSC Lions) - A Lock. Great season until now, probably the best player in the Swiss League!
Ryan Gardner (SC Bern) - Hell no!
Denis Hollenstein (Genève Servette) - Should make the team
Thibaut Monnet (Fribourg Gottéron) - My favourite hockey player and a great goal scorer, but he probably won´t make the team due to his bad defensive play
Simon Moser (Milwaukee Admirals) - Very good defensive forward
Nino Niederreiter (Minnesota - NHL) - A lock!
Martin Plüss ( SC Bern) - Not the best season thus far
Reto Suri ( EV Zug) - He´s got good chances of making the team. Best player for Zug this season and he´s improved over the last few weeks
Morris Trachsler (ZSC Lions) - Had to battle with injuries, but one of our best defensive forwards. Has a chance of centering the fourth line
Julian Walker (HC Lugano) - Chances of being on the fourth line
Julien Sprunger (Fribourg Gottéron) - Definititvely has chances of making the team, one of the most skilled Swiss players
Andrej Bykov (Fribourg Gottéron) - Very, very skilled but he won´t make it
Roman Wick (ZSC Lions) - Great season so far, good chances
Kevin Romy (Genève-Servette) - Should be there...
Sven Bärtschi (Calgary Flames NHL) - He should make the team. Skilled forward with lots of potential, but he hasn´t hat a good season until now
Damien Brunner (New Jersey - NHL) - I guess he´ll make the team even though he plays horribly and without any confidence right now
Tanner Richard (Syracuse Crunch AHL) - No
Christoph Bertschy (SC Bern) - No
Joel Vermin (SC Bern) - No
Sven Andrighetto (Hamilton Bulldogs - AHL) - Slim chances. I like the kid, he´s played quite good in the AHL
Lino Martischini (EV Zug) - No
Grégory Hoffmann (HC Davos) - No
Dino Wieser (HC Davos) - Chances of making the fourth line
Benjamin Plüss (Fribourg Gottéron) - Best player for Fribourg this season. But he´s got very little international experience
Inti Pestoni (HC Ambri-Piotta) - Great scorer. He´ll get his chance, but maybe not for 2014
Patrik Bärtschi (ZSC Lions) - Best goal scorer in the Swiss League. The way he plays right now he should be considered by the coaches
Daniel Steiner (HC Ambri-Piostta) - One of the guys who´s responsible that Ambri has a great season. Skilled, but maybe to old


New:

Dino Wieser (HC Davos), Benjamin Plüss (Fribourg Gottéron), Inti Pestoni (HC Ambri-Piotta), Patrik Bärtschi (ZSC Lions), Daniel Steiner (HC Ambri-Piostta)


Last edited by Richi: 12-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Richi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:04 AM
  #129
Richi
Registered User
 
Richi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 830
vCash: 409
Thus my possible line-up:

Bärtschi - Cunti - Niederreiter
Bodenmann - Suri - Brunner
Ambühl - Sprunger - Hollenstein
Moser - Trachsler - Walker
Wick

Josi - Diaz
Seger - Streit
Bezina - Sbisa
Blindenbacher

Berra / Hiller
Gerber

Richi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:01 AM
  #130
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI
 
SCBdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eisstadion Allmend
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
My proposed line-up:


Goalies:

Reto Berra (Calgary Flames NHL)
Martin Gerber (Kloten Flyers)
Jonas Hiller (Anaheim Ducks NHL )


Defenseman:

Roman Josi (Nashville Predators - NHL)
Luca Sbisa (Anaheim Ducks - NHL) (If healthy)
Mark Streit (Philadelphia Flyers - NHL )
Yannick Weber (Vancouver Canucks - NHL )
Rafael Diaz ((Montreal Canadiens - NHL)
Matthias Seger (ZSC Lions)
Philippe Furrer (SC Bern) (Should be there if he's healthy. During the stretch where SCB played horribly he was often our best player.)
Goran Bezina (Genève Servette)


Forwards:

Luca Cunti (ZSC Lions)
Denis Hollenstein (Genève Servette)
Simon Moser (Milwaukee Admirals)
Nino Niederreiter (Minnesota - NHL)
Martin Plüss (SC Bern)
Reto Suri (EV Zug)
Morris Trachsler (ZSC Lions)
Julien Sprunger (Fribourg Gottéron)
Roman Wick (ZSC Lions)
Kevin Romy (Genève-Servette)
Sven Bärtschi (Calgary Flames NHL)
Damien Brunner (New Jersey - NHL)
Tristan Scherwey (SC Bern)


Last edited by SCBdude: 12-09-2013 at 04:05 PM.
SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:21 AM
  #131
chokei
#59
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 362
vCash: 500
As the season goes on... it seems to me that there are no big positive surprises, only negative let downs. The coming national games will hopefully clear things up a bit.

I don't see a spot for Scherwey on an Olympic National Team roster; has he even played a meaningful NT game yet?

Few thoughts: Walker - Trachsler - Bieber is the defensive line to go for Switzerland IMO; Moser and Niederreiter should be together on a big offensive line; Brunner will play better on big ice, Bärtschi needs to show how he can be useful to this team; maybe keep some of the ZSC guys together?; Cunti is still rocking.

Anyone watch a lot of Nashville games this season? Josi's play seems so unspectacular, he only scored his first goal of the season last weekend; is he able to lead the team now that Weber is gone? You hear neither good nor bad about him.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:19 AM
  #132
Richi
Registered User
 
Richi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 830
vCash: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by chokei View Post
I don't see a spot for Scherwey on an Olympic National Team roster; has he even played a meaningful NT game yet?
He won´t get a spot.
Blindenbacher has way better chances than Furrer.
Bodenmann probably has been the most efficient forward at the last World Championship.
Plüss would need to step up his play in order to get a ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokei View Post
maybe keep some of the ZSC guys together?; Cunti is still rocking.
I´d love to see that but I don´t see Nilsson getting the citizenship before the Olympics
A line of Wick - Cunti - Patrik Bärtschi should do very well. But sadly, I don´t see Patrik Bärtschi getting a spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokei View Post
Anyone watch a lot of Nashville games this season? Josi's play seems so unspectacular, he only scored his first goal of the season last weekend; is he able to lead the team now that Weber is gone? You hear neither good nor bad about him.
Mostly he´s played quite well, even though he wasn´t able to carry the team on his back. They´re missig Weber desperately. Josi is not yet a capable number 1 defensemen in the NHL.

Richi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:26 AM
  #133
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best
 
Aspirine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
Hey dudes just dropping by to tell you Yannick Weber isn't a part of the Montreal Canadiens anymore
We still got Diaz though, good luck for the Olympics!

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:54 AM
  #134
Richi
Registered User
 
Richi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 830
vCash: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
Hey dudes just dropping by to tell you Yannick Weber isn't a part of the Montreal Canadiens anymore
We still got Diaz though, good luck for the Olympics!
That's the problem with quoting

Richi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 04:12 PM
  #135
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI
 
SCBdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eisstadion Allmend
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricci1991 View Post
He won´t get a spot.
Blindenbacher has way better chances than Furrer.
Bodenmann probably has been the most efficient forward at the last World Championship.
Plüss would need to step up his play in order to get
When Furrer is healthy he's better then Blindenbacher IMO. But Blindenbacher would be the next best guy if Furrer remains injured.

Also I'm guessing that you didn't see a lot of SCB games this season. While the team was awful until Törmänen's firing, Plüss has almost been as good as usual and Scherwey has improved. Scherwey would be the perfect 4th line winger for this team.
But you're right, he probably won't make the team.

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:07 PM
  #136
Richi
Registered User
 
Richi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 830
vCash: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
When Furrer is healthy he's better then Blindenbacher IMO. But Blindenbacher would be the next best guy if Furrer remains injured.
If he would live up to his full potential, then yes. As of now, Blindenbacher is ahead of him in the race for a spot. I´d love to see Furrer playing well and going to the Olympics instead of Blindenbacher. Blindenbacher just has a thing for getting PIM in the worst situations and this is why he´s my least favourite player on my favourite team! Great first pass though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
Plüss has almost been as good as usual
He´s kind of a streaky player. He needs a good team around him to really fleurish. I wouldn´t be unhappy if he makes the team but I think we have better options

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
Scherwey has improved. Scherwey would be the perfect 4th line winger for this team.
But you're right, he probably won't make the team.
Scherwey certainly is a good winger, but I´d rather take Walker. He always seems to get better with the international competition.
Scherwey also seems to be a guy that constantly flies unter the radar since Simpson doesn´t seem to notice him.

Richi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:44 PM
  #137
Cashville
RIP Lindback
 
Cashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chokei View Post
As the season goes on... it seems to me that there are no big positive surprises, only negative let downs. The coming national games will hopefully clear things up a bit.

I don't see a spot for Scherwey on an Olympic National Team roster; has he even played a meaningful NT game yet?

Few thoughts: Walker - Trachsler - Bieber is the defensive line to go for Switzerland IMO; Moser and Niederreiter should be together on a big offensive line; Brunner will play better on big ice, Bärtschi needs to show how he can be useful to this team; maybe keep some of the ZSC guys together?; Cunti is still rocking.

Anyone watch a lot of Nashville games this season? Josi's play seems so unspectacular, he only scored his first goal of the season last weekend; is he able to lead the team now that Weber is gone? You hear neither good nor bad about him.
I watch every Preds game. Josi is exceptional and his play this season has been quite good despite missing substantial time after taking a near-questionable high hit from Downie early on. He had a great goal at the end of the first on Saturday against the Caps. Looking at the stats is somewhat misleading without context; Josi's -12 looks terribad but Weber is -7 and Seth Jones is -12 as well. We've been missing Rinne virtually the entire season; Mazanec has stepped up nicely as of late, but we used Carter Hutton for 11 games with largely disastrous results (3.3GAA / 0.890 SV%). The defensive pairings have also been very fluid due to Josi's injury. Lastly, the team just isn't very good to be frank.

The biggest thing is just watching Josi on the ice. I almost never watch Josi and say "what were you thinking!? / what are you doing!?" He plays a very disciplined game and is just incredibly good with the puck. He's probably my favorite player on the Preds and he's the reason why I'm pulling Switzerland alongside the US (until they meet of course). You don't hear a lot about Josi because A) he's on the Preds, and B) he's not Canadian. I realize Seth Jones is also A+B, but his potential to be a major star with a bi-racial background in a historically caucasian dominated sport is a storyline that interests a lot of media outlets.


Last edited by Cashville: 12-09-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 01:10 AM
  #138
SwissStef
Registered User
 
SwissStef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricci1991 View Post
He´s kind of a streaky player. He needs a good team around him to really fleurish. I wouldn´t be unhappy if he makes the team but I think we have better options
So, what better options do we have at Center? I think Cunti, Plüss and maybe Romy/Trachsler are locks! Bykov won't make the team...

SwissStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:09 AM
  #139
Richi
Registered User
 
Richi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 830
vCash: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissStef View Post
So, what better options do we have at Center? I think Cunti, Plüss and maybe Romy/Trachsler are locks! Bykov won't make the team...
Brunner (yes, originally he´s a center), Suri, Sprunger, Romy, Trachsler and Cunti can all play Center and are ahead of Plüss right now. My favourites are Cunti, Suri, Sprunger and Trachsler

Richi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:28 AM
  #140
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chokei View Post
As the season goes on... it seems to me that there are no big positive surprises, only negative let downs. The coming national games will hopefully clear things up a bit.
I don't agree with that, guys like Cunti, Wick or Suri are having a very good season, Plüss is showing that age is not slowing him down, Romy and Hollenstein have been on fire lately after a slow start, and Niederreiter and Bärtschi have established themselves as full time NHLers.

The only player that worries me is Brunner. Ambühl is not having his best time either, but we all know he always performs well for the national team, and he doesn't need to score to be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
Scherwey would be the perfect 4th line winger for this team.
But you're right, he probably won't make the team.
What will work against Scherwey is that the 4th line is hard to crack after their performance last year. I'd say it's more likely to be changed for a player like Ambühl or Moser being bumped from the top 9 than for a new player.

But he will be a strong contender for the world championship team next spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricci1991 View Post
Brunner (yes, originally he´s a center), Suri, Sprunger, Romy, Trachsler and Cunti can all play Center and are ahead of Plüss right now. My favourites are Cunti, Suri, Sprunger and Trachsler
Brunner hasn't played center in ages, he became the player he is now playing on the wing (a position that suits his skillset much better). Same goes for Suri.

Sprunger probably won't make the team as a winger (he doesn't skate well enough for international hockey, and can't handle physical play), let alone in a position he doesn't play regularly.

But even if all three of them were comfortable playing center, Plüss would still be a lock. He's having a good season, and even if he wasn't, he has proven he can contribute at this level. The way he played with Moser and Niederreiter also helps his case.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:44 AM
  #141
SoundAndFury
Registered User
 
SoundAndFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
and Niederreiter and Bärtschi have established themselves as full time NHLers.
Actually in Bartschi's case the writing on the wall is that he should be sent down to the AHL because he well.. stinks. At this point he's nowhere near being an established NHLer.

Also, I see that many of you see Berra as a starter or at least one of 1A/1B goaltenders so I wanted to ask, do I not know something or are you guys crazy? With all Hiller's experience, NHL All-Star honors, the way he played last Olympics, his 11-4-4 record this season.. Why is Berra even in the conversation?

__________________
no kind of logic, intelligence or philosophy can ever win a fight against ignorance, superstition or stupidity (Justinov) - a thing to remember on HFBoards
SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 04:57 AM
  #142
Richi
Registered User
 
Richi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 830
vCash: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
Also, I see that many of you see Berra as a starter or at least one of 1A/1B goaltenders so I wanted to ask, do I not know something or are you guys crazy? With all Hiller's experience, NHL All-Star honors, the way he played last Olympics, his 11-4-4 record this season.. Why is Berra even in the conversation?
Recent experience with the big ice, his play at the last world championships and the fact that Hiller isn´t the same after the injury he suffered at the All-Star game. Hiller has been great only for the last few games, but at the start of the season he played terrible.

Richi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 05:04 AM
  #143
SoundAndFury
Registered User
 
SoundAndFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricci1991 View Post
Hiller has been great only for the last few games, but at the start of the season he played terrible.
So did Lundqvist but I don't see Enroth taking over a Sweden's crease even though he has won the WC for them. On the big ice, too

But yeah, I understand your point.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:21 AM
  #144
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,113
vCash: 931
This tournament might just become the first real test of you becoming a true contender. Obviously it's good for you to get more and more NHL-players, but at the same time you lose that tight-knit team that plays many times a year together. Your NHL-defenders might not be 100 percent inside of that. Luckily for you they are quite good as individuals.


Last edited by Darth Yoda: 12-10-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 09:52 AM
  #145
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie
 
TheNeutrality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 8,523
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricci1991 View Post
Recent experience with the big ice, his play at the last world championships and the fact that Hiller isn´t the same after the injury he suffered at the All-Star game. Hiller has been great only for the last few games, but at the start of the season he played terrible.
It's not like Berra is oozing consistency so far. It's actually quite the opposite.

Hiller is definitely not on the same level as pre-vertigo Hiller, but he still shows flashes of it. And the last few games he has been exceptional.

Berra on the other hand isn't even a starter at this point. He overcommits at times and gets into bad positions due to that.


Until Berra goes on a rampage and takes over the starting position in CGY with ease, it's Hiller AINEC.

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 11:33 AM
  #146
Shawn Heins 44
Registered User
 
Shawn Heins 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeutrality View Post
It's not like Berra is oozing consistency so far. It's actually quite the opposite.

Hiller is definitely not on the same level as pre-vertigo Hiller, but he still shows flashes of it. And the last few games he has been exceptional.

Berra on the other hand isn't even a starter at this point. He overcommits at times and gets into bad positions due to that.


Until Berra goes on a rampage and takes over the starting position in CGY with ease, it's Hiller AINEC.
I absolutely agree with that. I love Berra, great guy and I think he has a lot of potential and we definately have not seen the best of him in the NHL yet. But it really is Hillers job to lose and he should and will start at the Olympics.

A note on the forward part: Sprunger is one of my favourite players in the Swiss league, probably top 5 in talent, but I would not take him to the Olympics... Have watched him closely this year and the is just afraid of any physical game. I do not even blame him for that with his injury history, but I guess he would just disappear against teams like Canada and another player could contribute more. Sprunger can play the WC again if he wants to.

Shawn Heins 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 01:06 PM
  #147
chokei
#59
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
I don't agree with that, guys like Cunti, Wick or Suri are having a very good season, Plüss is showing that age is not slowing him down, Romy and Hollenstein have been on fire lately after a slow start, and Niederreiter and Bärtschi have established themselves as full time NHLers.

The only player that worries me is Brunner. Ambühl is not having his best time either, but we all know he always performs well for the national team, and he doesn't need to score to be useful.
I agree on the NLA guys. But I expect supposed star players to have very good seasons and be on fire. So if Hollenstein and co. don't perform very well, it's a let down to me. But maybe that's just me.

Brunner will be fine when he has more room and time on the bigger ice, and it's hopefully only a matter of time until he turns it around in the NHL...

I don't think you can say Bärtschi has established himself as an NHL regular. His play is underwhelming and he has been benched a lot. He is not an important player on the Flames yet.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 04:35 AM
  #148
stv11
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 500
Regarding the goalie situation, they will both get the opportunity to show what they can do anyway. Whoever performs better in the first round will start in the elimination games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokei View Post
I agree on the NLA guys. But I expect supposed star players to have very good seasons and be on fire. So if Hollenstein and co. don't perform very well, it's a let down to me. But maybe that's just me.
Hollenstein is actually scoring at a higher pace than last season, so let down here.

Anyway, good club performances doesn't always translate to success in international hockey, you also have to take a player's skillset and international experience into account. That's why I'd take Ambühl without thinking twice about it, even though he's not having his best season so far.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 07:46 AM
  #149
chokei
#59
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
Regarding the goalie situation, they will both get the opportunity to show what they can do anyway. Whoever performs better in the first round will start in the elimination games.



Hollenstein is actually scoring at a higher pace than last season, so let down here.

Anyway, good club performances doesn't always translate to success in international hockey, you also have to take a player's skillset and international experience into account. That's why I'd take Ambühl without thinking twice about it, even though he's not having his best season so far.
So you would say Hollenstein has been a positive surprise this season? You don't have high expecations for him then, do you.

Wick, au contraire, is playing a phenomenal season.

Skillset and experience are important, but not everything. You have to make a decision at some point, and how you play in the league is an important base to decide whether you belong on an olympic roster or not. Otherwise you could just put the same players on the ice all the time, because at some point their skillset was judged to be useful and they're the only guys with experience. It's not wrong to give young, well playing but unexperienced players a chance instead of old, out of form guys.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 11:50 AM
  #150
jonas2244
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 500
Hollenstein has 26 points in 25 games and a +10. He is 10th in scoring in the league despite having not as many games as the 9 players in front of him because of his injury. Doesn't sound that bad for me.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.