HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ottawa Senators eliminate Montreal Canadiens in 5 games

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
  #176
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,277
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
Game plan tonight should be to put shots on budaj from anywhere.....which is pretty much what the habs have limited the sens to 2/3 periods in anyways. I just think that the sens can focus on the perimeter game if the Habs continue to have their sticks in the right place all the time on the inside.
I don't get this logic.

I do get the logic that the Senators need to take shots on the net, but it's like people are expecting the Budaj we saw in overtime to be the Budaj that plays Thursday night.

Budaj had absolutely no expectation to play on Tuesday. When we had to draw in for Overtime, he didn't face a single "warm up" shot before the period. Now, Budaj has expected that he will start, has had multiple days to prepare for the game, and will face a barrage of rubber throughout Wednesday and Thursday. He's not going to be a pushover. His regular season stats dictate that rather well.

Marvelous Manked is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:39 AM
  #177
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Because it's a total troll fest.
To be fair the mods are doing their best to keep it clean. *props to Hurt for the good work*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
I think this game is gonna be tough for the sens.

I think Budaj has something to prove after that overtime goal and I noticed Habs were blocking a Ton more shots in game 4 as opposed to other games. It's definitely not going to be an easy to win even with injuries. Ottawa of all teams know key injuries don't mean a push over team.

The key point for Ottawa will be to score first. It'll put a lot of pressure on Montreal because they are down 3-1 even though they've played exteemely well, I't would be even better if it was a weak goal maybe take some confidence from the Habs. Sens also need to punish every Montreal player that goes into the corners with them wear them down. Maybe even agitate and frustrate like game 3 but not as dirty both ways.

As for the Habs the key for their success will be to play the speed game get screens infront of the net, play who's hot, don't get drawn into a physical battles, and try to draw some penalties. Habs PP is strong and almost guaranteed they could get some points on it. I think it'll be hard to solve Anderson for Montreal but their best bet is to play a skill game for the whole game. And not let off the throttle.
Very well written and quite unbiased. A refreshing take. Well done. Cheers.

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:40 AM
  #178
Uber Coca
Registered User
 
Uber Coca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
As someone who is going to school for something in the sports field and is surrounded by 70% Leaf Fans, 28% Habs fans, and only a couple Sens fans, I'll tell you why.

First, it's completely understandable that Montreal fans come out with "We would've won if ____" right after a series loss (if it happens). Every fanbase does that. But because of how my whole life resolves around sports (work, school, play) I'm merely interested to see if all my friends that are Habs fans will try and completely write off the accomplishments if they were to win the series. Also, I have to ask. If you're calling me out for something that is "irrelevant to me", than why are you doing the exact same thing? Why do you care about what I "wonder"?
Because it's an internet board meant to share opinions. You shared yours and I actually answered to your concern by saying that any sane person that understands sport shouldn't blame an entire series lost because of the officiating and injuries. Ottawa actually made it despite all their injuries.

Uber Coca is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:42 AM
  #179
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,277
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Because it's an internet board meant to share opinions. You shared yours and I actually answered to your concern by saying that any sane person that understands sport shouldn't blame an entire series lost because of the ofSenators ficiating and injuries. Ottawa actually made it despite all their injuries.
Well if that was your true intention, this last post did a lot better job communicating it than the first one.

I interpreted the first one as "Why do you care what we think you big dummy grow some thick skin".

Marvelous Manked is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:43 AM
  #180
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,556
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Now you just know Budaj is going wall mode just because.
I'm expecting him to be very, very good

Ottawa will find a way to win as long as they show up for the first 40 or Anderson goes into God mode if the rest of the team doesn't

It's almost a given that the Senators will be the better team in the third so we need to make sure we're not down by 2 or more going into it

EDIT: we also won't win if the Senators don't improve their passing game from Game 4, it was dreadful

Do Make Say Think is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:43 AM
  #181
BigZKingK
Registered User
 
BigZKingK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
I think this game is gonna be tough for the sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
I don't get this logic.

I do get the logic that the Senators need to take shots on the net, but it's like people are expecting the Budaj we saw in overtime to be the Budaj that plays Thursday night.

Budaj had absolutely no expectation to play on Tuesday. When we had to draw in for Overtime, he didn't face a single "warm up" shot before the period. Now, Budaj has expected that he will start, has had multiple days to prepare for the game, and will face a barrage of rubber throughout Wednesday and Thursday. He's not going to be a pushover. His regular season stats dictate that rather well.
Agreed the guy was insane in the 4-5 game i saw im this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Because it's a total troll fest.

I think this game is gonna be tough for the sens.

I think Budaj has something to prove after that overtime goal and I noticed Habs were blocking a Ton more shots in game 4 as opposed to other games. It's definitely not going to be an easy to win even with injuries. Ottawa of all teams know key injuries don't mean a push over team.

The key point for Ottawa will be to score first. It'll put a lot of pressure on Montreal because they are down 3-1 even though they've played exteemely well, I't would be even better if it was a weak goal maybe take some confidence from the Habs. Sens also need to punish every Montreal player that goes into the corners with them wear them down. Maybe even agitate and frustrate like game 3 but not as dirty both ways.

As for the Habs the key for their success will be to play the speed game get screens infront of the net, play who's hot, don't get drawn into a physical battles, and try to draw some penalties. Habs PP is strong and almost guaranteed they could get some points on it. I think it'll be hard to solve Anderson for Montreal but their best bet is to play a skill game for the whole game. And not let off the throttle.
Spot on

BigZKingK is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:45 AM
  #182
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Gionta, Eller, Price, White & Prust are all out.

Bourque and Pacioretty are banged up but they'll probably play. Same for Ryder.

Not looking good, but every team has to face adversity once in a while.
Yeah, like Ottawa all season.

SpezDispenser is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:46 AM
  #183
Karl Eriksson
Registered User
 
Karl Eriksson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
I don't get this logic.

I do get the logic that the Senators need to take shots on the net, but it's like people are expecting the Budaj we saw in overtime to be the Budaj that plays Thursday night.

Budaj had absolutely no expectation to play on Tuesday. When we had to draw in for Overtime, he didn't face a single "warm up" shot before the period. Now, Budaj has expected that he will start, has had multiple days to prepare for the game, and will face a barrage of rubber throughout Wednesday and Thursday. He's not going to be a pushover. His regular season stats dictate that rather well.
Budaj has shown that he an be very good at times, but not all that consistently. He is not Carey Price, and I think that if the Sens don't adjust for Price's absence, that's a mistake. Same for Prust and White, a lot of toughness will be gone from the Habs lineup, and I am of the mind that Kassian should sit as a result. That's counter the 'don't mess with a winning lineup' mentality, but I would say that Kassian brought nothing to the sens win last time.

You adjust your game in part as a function of the other team. Price is a franchise player who won't be in the lineup....so the game changes.

Karl Eriksson is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:46 AM
  #184
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 500
No excuses, with price, eller, emelin, gionta, white, prust and maybe bourque out I would not bet my house on this game.

One thing is sure, they will play their heart out tonight.

ClasslessGuy is online now  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:48 AM
  #185
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Yeah, like Ottawa all season.
Of course, no one ever said otherwise, but thanks for clearing it up.

I didn't know Ottawa had injuries.

It's time for Montreal to show what they're made of (insert more clichés here)

I am expecting a more basic game from the Habs tonight, due to a lack of talent in the lineup. It may just be what we needed.

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:49 AM
  #186
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,277
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
Budaj has shown that he an be very good at times, but not all that consistently. He is not Carey Price, and I think that if the Sens don't adjust for Price's absence, that's a mistake. Same for Prust and White, a lot of toughness will be gone from the Habs lineup, and I am of the mind that Kassian should sit as a result. That's counter the 'don't mess with a winning lineup' mentality, but I would say that Kassian brought nothing to the sens win last time.

You adjust your game in part as a function of the other team. Price is a franchise player who won't be in the lineup....so the game changes.
Adjust? Please elaborate.

Because my interpretation there is that you're saying that the Senators should prepare for a weaker goalie? If that's indeed what you're saying, you couldn't be more wrong. Price may be a "franchise goalie", but he hasn't played like one for the majority of this series. Simple as that.

No coach in the history of ever is going to "prepare differently" in a way that is "this goalie is less good". If they do, they've failed at their job. That said, they can prepare differently in the sense that "Hey guys, Price had better lateral movement that Budaj, let's try to exploit that". That makes sense. Going into a game thinking it's going to be easier because Budaj is playing over Price doesn't.

Marvelous Manked is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:51 AM
  #187
Dick Whitman
Registered User
 
Dick Whitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Here's a question for you;

Both teams learned what side the faceoff was going to be on at the same time, how does this provide an advantage to either team? Does a faceoff to the right of Price give him an inherent disadvantage?

I can understand that a mistake was made, but to put the goal on that error is about the whiniest thing I've ever heard of in all my time watching hockey. Can anyone think of an incident more minor than a faceoff positioning (right side vs left, not wrong zone) that has received this much complaining?
Everyone knows the habs can't faceoff right.

Dick Whitman is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:51 AM
  #188
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,651
vCash: 50
Appreciate the nice words, but lets stick to hockey.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:53 AM
  #189
TGV
Registered User
 
TGV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
Adjust? Please elaborate.

Because my interpretation there is that you're saying that the Senators should prepare for a weaker goalie? If that's indeed what you're saying, you couldn't be more wrong. Price may be a "franchise goalie", but he hasn't played like one for the majority of this series. Simple as that.

No coach in the history of ever is going to "prepare differently" in a way that is "this goalie is less good". If they do, they've failed at their job. That said, they can prepare differently in the sense that "Hey guys, Price had better lateral movement that Budaj, let's try to exploit that". That makes sense. Going into a game thinking it's going to be easier because Budaj is playing over Price doesn't.
I saw his interpretation differently and I see where he's going. Budaj just doesn't need as much distraction to be scored on. Efforts can be spent wisely somewhere else.

TGV is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:55 AM
  #190
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,277
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGV View Post
I saw his interpretation differently and I see where he's going. Budaj just doesn't need as much distraction to be scored on. Efforts can be spent wisely somewhere else.
Then do exactly what you just said. Isolate a single weakness, for the love of God don't make it seem like their job will be easier.

Marvelous Manked is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:57 AM
  #191
Dick Whitman
Registered User
 
Dick Whitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
Please discuss my rest of the point than.

Because I'm going to go ahead and use the cliche HF rebuttal "well clearly you've never _____". But this works too well here.

You can't honestly tell me Paul Maclean is going to simply tell his players that they are facing a ****tier goalie in Budaj. That's completely absurd. Sure he may say "Let's get lots of shots on him, and go glove high because he's weak there", but there certainly not going to trash Budaj's ability and make it seem like their job will be easier.

I think that's most evident by Paul MacLean's new catchphrase "Every game gets tougher".
They're going to breakdown the tape on Budaj just like they would on Carey Price. Budaj's a good goaltender and he still has Markov, Gorges, Diaz and Subban in front of him. You'll probably see more of a concerted effort by the Habs to block shots tonight.

Dick Whitman is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:57 AM
  #192
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
After reading 2/3 of Part XI, there are a few things I want to give my two opinion on and address. This might be a long post, so bear with me.

1) I want to summarize each game in the series so far as I've seen them and I think is pretty accurate.

Game 1: Montreal outplayed Ottawa for 40 minutes. Craig Anderson being Craig Anderson played extremely well. Montreal was flat and let Ottawa be Ottawa and capitalize on their opportunities in the 3rd period, leading to 3 goals in the period (one of which CP31 let a softy in). Sens win decisively 4-2.

Game 2: Montreal and Ottawa played pretty evenly throughout. Craig Anderson didn't play as well as he did in Game 1. Montreal capitalized on more of their chances than Ottawa did. Habs win decisively 3-1.

Game 3: Montreal and Ottawa played pretty evenly through 40 minutes. Ottawa capitalized on more of their chances than Montreal as per usual up until 12 minutes left in the game. Gooning ensues and I'm embarrassed by my team. Can't blame CP31 for this one. Sens destroy the Habs 6-1.

Game 4: Montreal and Ottawa played pretty evenly through 40 minutes. Montreal capitalizes on an odd man rush and a giveaway by Conacher. Montreal sits on the lead, it bites them in the ass. An error by the linesman (wrong faceoff location), a controversial goal that could have gone either way, Ottawa crashing the net in the end and Conacher putting it away, a lucky bounce in OT and that's the final 12 minutes of the game. Sens win 3-2 in OT.

There seems to be a prevalent message here in my summaries.

2) I want to talk about Subban. It seems to me that a lot of Habs fans (including myself) are kind of taken back by the amount of criticism and hatred this player gets from the media, from around the league and other teams' fanbases. I understand the criticism and maybe some of the hatred. PK's not the typical hockey player. He's flashy, he complains I guess, he's extremely talented, he gets under other players' skins, etc. I can see why people don't like the way he plays and how he acts on and off the ice. But it seems to me that it is a constant display of criticism and "attack" coming to him. The guy takes some extreme heat and some of it is warranted, but not all.

3) Carey Price's play this series has been pretty good, but not at the level it needed to be for the Habs to be leading this series or to have it at least tied. Had he played like he did 2 years ago against the Bruins where he outperformed Tim Thomas for most, if not all of that series, the Canadiens would probably be leading this series. Definitely cannot be certain that it would be the case, but I have a strong feeling about that. He hasn't played like he did in the final weeks of the regular season. He played pretty good, but not great.

4) With Price out for the rest of the series, Budaj is in net. I have a lot of faith in Peter Budaj. As a back-up, he's played extremely well for the Canadiens this season (outside games 1 and 2 for him against Ottawa and Buffalo respectively). He isn't going to rollover and let this team die. I think for this series to continue past tonight, he's going to have to play like his fellow countryman Jaroslav Halak did in the first 2 rounds of the 2010 playoffs with Montreal. Can he perform to that level? Probably not. But even if he performs anywhere close to that level, I'll be extremely surprised and happy.

5) Injuries. Both teams have had them through different points of the season and playoffs. I want to address both.

Ottawa:

Jason Spezza: Out for most of the season (if not all?) and the playoffs thus far.
Erik Karlsson: (edit) Out for most of the season (edit: playing injured).
Craig Anderson: (edit) Out for almost half the season.
Milan Michalek: Out for a good portion of the season.
Jared Cowen: Out for most of the season.

Did I miss anyone Sens fans?

Montreal:

Alexei Emelin: Out since end of March and gone for the rest of the season and playoffs (torn ACL).
Carey Price: Out for the rest of the series (lower body injury).
Brian Gionta: Out for the rest of the playoffs (torn bicep, surgery tomorrow I think).
Brandon Prust: Listed as day-to-day (nagging shoulder injury since the middle of the season where he missed time).
Lars Eller: Out most likely for the rest of this series (facial and dental fractures, concussion).
Ryan White Listed as day-to-day (i think upper body injury?)
Max Pacioretty: Playing injured as he missed Game 2 (upper body injury)

It's tough when a team is missing a lot of key players who have played well for them over the season. I'm not making excuses, just stating facts. I believe if Montreal has even a remote chance of winning this, the non-injured players need to step up, fill some roles and play their hearts out.

This series isn't over. I am hoping and expecting that Montreal comes out hard and this time, finishes hard and with the win. Otherwise, i'm jumping on the Sens bandwagon. Thanks for reading.


Last edited by dmanfish90: 05-09-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Took out something ;)
dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 10:57 AM
  #193
TGV
Registered User
 
TGV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
Please discuss my rest of the point than.

Because I'm going to go ahead and use the cliche HF rebuttal "well clearly you've never _____". But this works too well here.

You can't honestly tell me Paul Maclean is going to simply tell his players that they are facing a ****tier goalie in Budaj. That's completely absurd. Sure he may say "Let's get lots of shots on him, and go glove high because he's weak there", but there certainly not going to trash Budaj's ability and make it seem like their job will be easier.

I think that's most evident by Paul MacLean's new catchphrase "Every game gets tougher".
Habs will probably protect their goalie better too. Making the life miserable for defensemen should be a priority over making the goalie's miserable.

TGV is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 11:00 AM
  #194
Karl Eriksson
Registered User
 
Karl Eriksson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
Adjust? Please elaborate.

Because my interpretation there is that you're saying that the Senators should prepare for a weaker goalie? If that's indeed what you're saying, you couldn't be more wrong. Price may be a "franchise goalie", but he hasn't played like one for the majority of this series. Simple as that.

No coach in the history of ever is going to "prepare differently" in a way that is "this goalie is less good". If they do, they've failed at their job. That said, they can prepare differently in the sense that "Hey guys, Price had better lateral movement that Budaj, let's try to exploit that". That makes sense. Going into a game thinking it's going to be easier because Budaj is playing over Price doesn't.
Price has 30 career playoff games, Budaj has 4. I know that Price's playoff record isn't stellar, but he knows what to expect, he knows the pressure of playing in the Bell center in the post-season. Budaj arguably does not.

If the sens don't try to exploit that, and the fact that Budaj has only had a couple of days to get his head into the game, that's a mistake. Not sure that is really a debatable point. Pierre McGuire was on TEAM 1200 this morning (i know...it's mcguire) preaching the idea that the sens can afford to take some uglier shots.

Other adjustments that might be made:

- Get in his head
- Get in his face
- Make (some incidental) contact early

Basically do all the things that might rattle a player with 4 playoff games to his name, that a player with 30 might not be effected by.

Karl Eriksson is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 11:01 AM
  #195
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa > Wisconsin.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
After reading 2/3 of Part XI, there are a few things I want to give my two opinion on and address. This might be a long post, so bear with me.

1) I want to summarize each game in the series so far as I've seen them and I think is pretty accurate.

Game 1: Montreal outplayed Ottawa for 40 minutes. Craig Anderson being Craig Anderson played extremely well. Montreal was flat and let Ottawa be Ottawa and capitalize on their opportunities in the 3rd period, leading to 3 goals in the period (one of which CP31 let a softy in). Sens win decisively 4-2.

Game 2: Montreal and Ottawa played pretty evenly throughout. Craig Anderson didn't play as well as he did in Game 1. Montreal capitalized on more of their chances than Ottawa did. Habs win decisively 3-1.

Game 3: Montreal and Ottawa played pretty evenly through 40 minutes. Ottawa capitalized on more of their chances than Montreal as per usual up until 12 minutes left in the game. Gooning ensues and I'm embarrassed by my team. Can't blame CP31 for this one. Sens destroy the Habs 6-1.

Game 4: Montreal and Ottawa played pretty evenly through 40 minutes. Montreal capitalizes on an odd man rush and a giveaway by Conacher. Montreal sits on the lead, it bites them in the ass. An error by the linesman (wrong faceoff location), a controversial goal that could have gone either way, Ottawa crashing the net in the end and Conacher putting it away, a lucky bounce in OT and that's the final 12 minutes of the game. Sens win 3-2 in OT.

There seems to be a prevalent message here in my summaries.

2) I want to talk about Subban. It seems to me that a lot of Habs fans (including myself) are kind of taken back by the amount of criticism and hatred this player gets from the media, from around the league and other teams' fanbases. I understand the criticism and maybe some of the hatred. PK's not the typical hockey player. He's flashy, he complains I guess, he's extremely talented, he gets under other players' skins, etc. I can see why people don't like the way he plays and how he acts on and off the ice. But it seems to me that it is a constant display of criticism and "attack" coming to him. Maybe there's a hidden message that I am not seeing. Maybe not. All I know the guy takes some extreme heat and some of it is warranted, but not all.

3) Carey Price's play this series has been pretty good, but not at the level it needed to be for the Habs to be leading this series or to have it at least tied. Had he played like he did 2 years ago against the Bruins where he outperformed Tim Thomas for most, if not all of that series, the Canadiens would probably be leading this series. Definitely cannot be certain that it would be the case, but I have a strong feeling about that. He hasn't played like he did in the final weeks of the regular season. He played pretty good, but not great.

4) With Price out for the rest of the series, Budaj is in net. I have a lot of faith in Peter Budaj. As a back-up, he's played extremely well for the Canadiens this season (outside games 1 and 2 for him against Ottawa and Buffalo respectively). He isn't going to rollover and let this team die. I think for this series to continue past tonight, he's going to have to play like his fellow countryman Jaroslav Halak did in the first 2 rounds of the 2010 playoffs with Montreal. Can he perform to that level? Probably not. But even if he performs anywhere close to that level, I'll be extremely surprised and happy.

5) Injuries. Both teams have had them through different points of the season and playoffs. I want to address both.

Ottawa:

Jason Spezza: Out for most of the season (if not all?) and the playoffs thus far.
Erik Karlsson: Out for almost half the season.
Craig Anderson: Out for most of the season.
Milan Michalek: Out for a good portion of the season.
Jared Cowen: Out for most of the season.

Did I miss anyone Sens fans?

Montreal:

Alexei Emelin: Out since end of March and gone for the rest of the season and playoffs (torn ACL).
Carey Price: Out for the rest of the series (lower body injury).
Brian Gionta: Out for the rest of the playoffs (torn bicep, surgery tomorrow I think).
Brandon Prust: Listed as day-to-day (nagging shoulder injury since the middle of the season where he missed time).
Lars Eller: Out most likely for the rest of this series (facial and dental fractures, concussion).
Ryan White Listed as day-to-day (i think upper body injury?)
Max Pacioretty: Playing injured as he missed Game 2 (upper body injury)

It's tough when a team is missing a lot of key players who have played well for them over the season. I'm not making excuses, just stating facts. I believe if Montreal has even a remote chance of winning this, the non-injured players need to step up, fill some roles and play their hearts out.

This series isn't over. I am hoping and expecting that Montreal comes out hard and this time, finishes hard and with the win. Otherwise, i'm jumping on the Sens bandwagon. Thanks for reading.
I am going to agree with 99% of your post.

There is no "hidden message" when it comes to Subban being disliked by fans of other teams. He is, like every good player, a polarizing one. Some like him, some don't. Nothing hidden about it. It is what it is. Habs fans need to realize that their super star will not be liked by some people and that's OKAY.

Penny Lane is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 11:02 AM
  #196
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
It's hardly Ottawa's fault -- or even the ref's fault -- that your centre can't follow the rules. And if it was such an important face-off and Desharnais has been so useless at the dot, you have to wonder why Therrien even sent him out.
Throughout the entire regular season, he wasn't even thrown out as many times as he was in these first 4 games of the series. So your argument first is invalid. He follows the rules, but gets abused. And for the record, his faceoff win % has been pretty good for this season, so again your argument is invalid.

For the record, the legal procedure for faceoffs are that each centreman lines up on his side of the circle (along with the rest of the players). His feet cannot be past the red line below the dot. Each centreman's stick must be on the ice before the puck is dropped.

This bolded point is being disregarded by the refs/linesmen and a good portion of the Sens centremen.

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 11:03 AM
  #197
TGV
Registered User
 
TGV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Eriksson View Post
Price has 30 career playoff games, Budaj has 4. I know that Price's playoff record isn't stellar, but he knows what to expect, he knows the pressure of playing in the Bell center in the post-season. Budaj arguably does not.

If the sens don't try to exploit that, and the fact that Budaj has only had a couple of days to get his head into the game, that's a mistake. Not sure that is really a debatable point. Pierre McGuire was on TEAM 1200 this morning (i know...it's mcguire) preaching the idea that the sens can afford to take some uglier shots.

Other adjustments that might be made:

- Get in his head
- Get in his face
- Make (some incidental) contact early

Basically do all the things that might rattle a player with 4 playoff games to his name, that a player with 30 might not be effected by.
Those aren't changes, It has been done throughout the whole series.

TGV is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 11:03 AM
  #198
Dick Whitman
Registered User
 
Dick Whitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
After reading 2/3 of Part XI, there are a few things I want to give my two opinion on and address. This might be a long post, so bear with me.

1) I want to summarize each game in the series so far as I've seen them and I think is pretty accurate.

Game 1: Montreal outplayed Ottawa for 40 minutes. Craig Anderson being Craig Anderson played extremely well. Montreal was flat and let Ottawa be Ottawa and capitalize on their opportunities in the 3rd period, leading to 3 goals in the period (one of which CP31 let a softy in). Sens win decisively 4-2.

Game 2: Montreal and Ottawa played pretty evenly throughout. Craig Anderson didn't play as well as he did in Game 1. Montreal capitalized on more of their chances than Ottawa did. Habs win decisively 3-1.

Game 3: Montreal and Ottawa played pretty evenly through 40 minutes. Ottawa capitalized on more of their chances than Montreal as per usual up until 12 minutes left in the game. Gooning ensues and I'm embarrassed by my team. Can't blame CP31 for this one. Sens destroy the Habs 6-1.

Game 4: Montreal and Ottawa played pretty evenly through 40 minutes. Montreal capitalizes on an odd man rush and a giveaway by Conacher. Montreal sits on the lead, it bites them in the ass. An error by the linesman (wrong faceoff location), a controversial goal that could have gone either way, Ottawa crashing the net in the end and Conacher putting it away, a lucky bounce in OT and that's the final 12 minutes of the game. Sens win 3-2 in OT.

There seems to be a prevalent message here in my summaries.

2) I want to talk about Subban. It seems to me that a lot of Habs fans (including myself) are kind of taken back by the amount of criticism and hatred this player gets from the media, from around the league and other teams' fanbases. I understand the criticism and maybe some of the hatred. PK's not the typical hockey player. He's flashy, he complains I guess, he's extremely talented, he gets under other players' skins, etc. I can see why people don't like the way he plays and how he acts on and off the ice. But it seems to me that it is a constant display of criticism and "attack" coming to him. Maybe there's a hidden message that I am not seeing. Maybe not. All I know the guy takes some extreme heat and some of it is warranted, but not all.

3) Carey Price's play this series has been pretty good, but not at the level it needed to be for the Habs to be leading this series or to have it at least tied. Had he played like he did 2 years ago against the Bruins where he outperformed Tim Thomas for most, if not all of that series, the Canadiens would probably be leading this series. Definitely cannot be certain that it would be the case, but I have a strong feeling about that. He hasn't played like he did in the final weeks of the regular season. He played pretty good, but not great.

4) With Price out for the rest of the series, Budaj is in net. I have a lot of faith in Peter Budaj. As a back-up, he's played extremely well for the Canadiens this season (outside games 1 and 2 for him against Ottawa and Buffalo respectively). He isn't going to rollover and let this team die. I think for this series to continue past tonight, he's going to have to play like his fellow countryman Jaroslav Halak did in the first 2 rounds of the 2010 playoffs with Montreal. Can he perform to that level? Probably not. But even if he performs anywhere close to that level, I'll be extremely surprised and happy.

5) Injuries. Both teams have had them through different points of the season and playoffs. I want to address both.

Ottawa:

Jason Spezza: Out for most of the season (if not all?) and the playoffs thus far.
Erik Karlsson: Out for almost half the season.
Craig Anderson: Out for most of the season.
Milan Michalek: Out for a good portion of the season.
Jared Cowen: Out for most of the season.

Did I miss anyone Sens fans?

Montreal:

Alexei Emelin: Out since end of March and gone for the rest of the season and playoffs (torn ACL).
Carey Price: Out for the rest of the series (lower body injury).
Brian Gionta: Out for the rest of the playoffs (torn bicep, surgery tomorrow I think).
Brandon Prust: Listed as day-to-day (nagging shoulder injury since the middle of the season where he missed time).
Lars Eller: Out most likely for the rest of this series (facial and dental fractures, concussion).
Ryan White Listed as day-to-day (i think upper body injury?)
Max Pacioretty: Playing injured as he missed Game 2 (upper body injury)

It's tough when a team is missing a lot of key players who have played well for them over the season. I'm not making excuses, just stating facts. I believe if Montreal has even a remote chance of winning this, the non-injured players need to step up, fill some roles and play their hearts out.

This series isn't over. I am hoping and expecting that Montreal comes out hard and this time, finishes hard and with the win. Otherwise, i'm jumping on the Sens bandwagon. Thanks for reading.

I think this is a very fair and accurate assessment with the exception of Andy missing most of the season and Karlsson missing almost half. Those two should be flipped. Oh and Karlsson is also playing hurt but that's just nit picky stuff.

Montreal players have to get their nose dirty if they want to win this series. Get in front of the net, create some scoring chances that way. Ottawa has owned the front of the nets this series. Montreal needs to take some of that back.

Dick Whitman is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 11:04 AM
  #199
blackngold4877
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
Here we go....
No kidding, that implication is ridiculous, just say it if you want to say it.

I'm certainly not going to rule it out as a reason for "some" of the people who have a major dislike for Subban but I know for me personally it's for the following reasons:

1) He plays for Montreal
2) He embellishes like no other player in the league
3) He's got an enormous amount of talent and doesnt need to resort to said antics, it offends me as a hockey fan.
4) He plays for Montreal

blackngold4877 is offline  
Old
05-09-2013, 11:05 AM
  #200
TGV
Registered User
 
TGV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
After reading 2/3 of Part XI, there are a few things I want to give my two opinion on and address. This might be a long post, so bear with me.

1) I want to summarize each game in the series so far as I've seen them and I think is pretty accurate.

Game 1: Montreal outplayed Ottawa for 40 minutes. Craig Anderson being Craig Anderson played extremely well. Montreal was flat and let Ottawa be Ottawa and capitalize on their opportunities in the 3rd period, leading to 3 goals in the period (one of which CP31 let a softy in). Sens win decisively 4-2.

Game 2: Montreal and Ottawa played pretty evenly throughout. Craig Anderson didn't play as well as he did in Game 1. Montreal capitalized on more of their chances than Ottawa did. Habs win decisively 3-1.

Game 3: Montreal and Ottawa played pretty evenly through 40 minutes. Ottawa capitalized on more of their chances than Montreal as per usual up until 12 minutes left in the game. Gooning ensues and I'm embarrassed by my team. Can't blame CP31 for this one. Sens destroy the Habs 6-1.

Game 4: Montreal and Ottawa played pretty evenly through 40 minutes. Montreal capitalizes on an odd man rush and a giveaway by Conacher. Montreal sits on the lead, it bites them in the ass. An error by the linesman (wrong faceoff location), a controversial goal that could have gone either way, Ottawa crashing the net in the end and Conacher putting it away, a lucky bounce in OT and that's the final 12 minutes of the game. Sens win 3-2 in OT.

There seems to be a prevalent message here in my summaries.

2) I want to talk about Subban. It seems to me that a lot of Habs fans (including myself) are kind of taken back by the amount of criticism and hatred this player gets from the media, from around the league and other teams' fanbases. I understand the criticism and maybe some of the hatred. PK's not the typical hockey player. He's flashy, he complains I guess, he's extremely talented, he gets under other players' skins, etc. I can see why people don't like the way he plays and how he acts on and off the ice. But it seems to me that it is a constant display of criticism and "attack" coming to him. Maybe there's a hidden message that I am not seeing. Maybe not. All I know the guy takes some extreme heat and some of it is warranted, but not all.

3) Carey Price's play this series has been pretty good, but not at the level it needed to be for the Habs to be leading this series or to have it at least tied. Had he played like he did 2 years ago against the Bruins where he outperformed Tim Thomas for most, if not all of that series, the Canadiens would probably be leading this series. Definitely cannot be certain that it would be the case, but I have a strong feeling about that. He hasn't played like he did in the final weeks of the regular season. He played pretty good, but not great.

4) With Price out for the rest of the series, Budaj is in net. I have a lot of faith in Peter Budaj. As a back-up, he's played extremely well for the Canadiens this season (outside games 1 and 2 for him against Ottawa and Buffalo respectively). He isn't going to rollover and let this team die. I think for this series to continue past tonight, he's going to have to play like his fellow countryman Jaroslav Halak did in the first 2 rounds of the 2010 playoffs with Montreal. Can he perform to that level? Probably not. But even if he performs anywhere close to that level, I'll be extremely surprised and happy.

5) Injuries. Both teams have had them through different points of the season and playoffs. I want to address both.

Ottawa:

Jason Spezza: Out for most of the season (if not all?) and the playoffs thus far.
Erik Karlsson: Out for almost half the season.
Craig Anderson: Out for most of the season.
Milan Michalek: Out for a good portion of the season.
Jared Cowen: Out for most of the season.

Did I miss anyone Sens fans?

Montreal:

Alexei Emelin: Out since end of March and gone for the rest of the season and playoffs (torn ACL).
Carey Price: Out for the rest of the series (lower body injury).
Brian Gionta: Out for the rest of the playoffs (torn bicep, surgery tomorrow I think).
Brandon Prust: Listed as day-to-day (nagging shoulder injury since the middle of the season where he missed time).
Lars Eller: Out most likely for the rest of this series (facial and dental fractures, concussion).
Ryan White Listed as day-to-day (i think upper body injury?)
Max Pacioretty: Playing injured as he missed Game 2 (upper body injury)

It's tough when a team is missing a lot of key players who have played well for them over the season. I'm not making excuses, just stating facts. I believe if Montreal has even a remote chance of winning this, the non-injured players need to step up, fill some roles and play their hearts out.

This series isn't over. I am hoping and expecting that Montreal comes out hard and this time, finishes hard and with the win. Otherwise, i'm jumping on the Sens bandwagon. Thanks for reading.
Good post. But you should have left the ''hidden message'' cause people like to focus on that and the rest of your post will be ignored.

TGV is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.