HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF Game 5 | New York Islanders vs. Pittsburgh Penguins | May 9 | 7 PM | L 4-0

Old
05-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Hutz
Classless User

vCash: 500
Sens fan rooting hard for the Isles!!!

Long way off, but I'd love it if we could meet each other in two rounds.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:33 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
BS!?
Posted by the teams twitter account. Everyone said before the series the past is the past. I just thinks it's cool how there are some similarities here. Just need to win this now.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Echoes of 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Posted by the teams twitter account. Everyone said before the series the past is the past. I just thinks it's cool how there are some similarities here. Just need to win this now.
Makes sense, too, especially since 2003, 04, and 07 were garbage performances by the Islanders.

Echoes of 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
I just put up the lines. Did my best according to staple this morning and Pens board. Sorry if I get anything wrong. Let's go Islanders!

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:46 PM
islesfan186

ugh....reading comments on NHL.com. i really dont understand pens fans and their argument about vokouns stats against the isles. history has shown us 893284920184902814 examples of regular season stats not meaning anything come playoff time. case in point....vancouver canucks last year AND this year. bounced in 5 by 8 seeded kings last year, this year bounced in 4 by 6 seeded sharks. yeah vokoun has killer starts against the isles in his career IN THE REGULAR SEASON. MAF is a great regular season goalie too, but look at where that has gotten them recently. i just really wish people would come up with a more intelligent argument then "look at the regular season"....yeah cuz cup finals are always 1 seed vs 1 seed every year. so frustrating!!!!
anyway, hoping for big W....yes the proposition of senior softie not in net tonight scares me a little, but all the isles have to do is keep doing what they've been doing, and even if a slightly above average nabby shows up tonight, isles take it

islesfan186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:54 PM
dspbathroom

An early goal is key for the Islanders tonight and I think Okposo will provide it. Everyone is over looking the excellent saves that Fleury has made this series that I don't believe Vokoun will be able to stop. Lets go Islanders!

dspbathroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:54 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Beat down the Pens tonight and Saturday is going to be awesome!!! The Islanders have to be ready right from the drop of the puck because I think the Pens are done taking this series for granted.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Stay out of the box.

Keep the pressure on.

And beat the ever loving crap out of them!!

05-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Stay out of the box.

Stay out of the box.

Stay out of the box.

Fixed it for you.

A PP goal of our own would be a good idea too.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:23 PM
doublechili

My prediction before this series was that it would go the way all three previous Isles-Pens series have gone: it goes the limit and the Isles win by one goal in the decisive game. Therefore, tonight's result doesn't matter b/c it's going 7 anyway!

Seriously, would not be surprised if they go with Martinek and Hickey and the strategy is to play team-tough but not gooning it up and try to keep the puck away from the Pens with the transition game (kind of the strategy for the whole series). The Isles can't let the Pens get established in the offensive zone.

One other thing: I've had this feeling that JT has an epic performance in him this series. Something crazy like a 3rd period hat trick to win a game. Just saying.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:40 PM
srednalsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
BS!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
NYIslanders ‏@NYIslanders 5m
#Isles have 14G in the last 3 games. Last time they had 14G in 3-game span in playoffs were games 5-7 when they knocked out #Pens in '93.
To be exact the Islanders had 17 goals total in games 5,6,7 in 1993. 6g,7g,4g respectively. That series was also tied 2-2 going into game 5 and the Pens had a shutout in one of the first four games.

srednalsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srednalsi View Post
To be exact the Islanders had 17 goals total in games 5,6,7 in 1993. 6g,7g,4g respectively. That series was also tied 2-2 going into game 5 and the Pens had a shutout in one of the first four games.
Hate to be that guy

... but if we are being exact here, the isles had a total of 14 goals in games 5, 6 and 7. The game the isles scored 6 goals was game 4, not game 5. Game 5 the pens won 6-3.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:49 PM
No Need To Vanek

So pumped. Lets get it boys!

No Need To Vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:50 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Hate to be that guy

... but if we are being exact here, the isles had a total of 14 goals in games 5, 6 and 7. The game the isles scored 6 goals was game 4, not game 5. Game 5 the pens won 6-3.
Scored 6 goals in this game 4 too.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:54 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82isles View Post
I can't wait for the day your 9-1 score prediction is correct. I'll laugh so hard.
Laugh!?!? If we win 9-1 I'll take my pants off over my head.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:54 PM
srednalsi

Quote:
Hate to be that guy

You are correct I looked over the scores quick. But the 14g makes it even more eerie.

srednalsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:58 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Tired of the comparisons to the 1993 series. Outside of the laundry, nothing else is even remotely similar. I have a feeling if we lose tonight, that's going to get amplified ten-fold since we came back from down 3-2 in that series.

Let's just try to win this thing in six. Then it's better than 93.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:02 PM
periferal

I find myself quite nervous for this one tonight. I'm expecting a BIG time push from the Pens right out of the gate. Everyone is on them from their coaches to fans to media. The goalie change also usually invigorates a team.

Basically their collective pride is being challenged and when that happens, expect an intense reaction.

A tsunami on ice is waiting for the Isles once the puck drops tonight so we're going to learn a ton about where we stand after the first 5-10 minutes.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:06 PM
the sweetener

Just saw this is on Hornick's blog -

http://www.nyiskinny.com/2013/05/nab...and-draft.html

Nabokov, Vokoun playoff foes...and draft-mates

The Isles will face Tomas Vokoun in nets tonight in Pittsburgh.

As Kenny Albert pointed out to me yesterday, Vokoun's last five playoff appearances were against Nabokov in the 2007 playoffs. The Sharks won the series in 5 games.

The 9th round of the 1994 draft certainly produced some goaltenders -- check out this excerpt from picks 217-226

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:07 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Tired of the comparisons to the 1993 series. Outside of the laundry, nothing else is even remotely similar. I have a feeling if we lose tonight, that's going to get amplified ten-fold since we came back from down 3-2 in that series.

Let's just try to win this thing in six. Then it's better than 93.
It's been like 3 posts. If we win, still will not have the high profile upset '93 did. Just a reminder anything can happen.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:08 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I find myself quite nervous for this one tonight. I'm expecting a BIG time push from the Pens right out of the gate. Everyone is on them from their coaches to fans to media. The goalie change also usually invigorates a team.

Basically their collective pride is being challenged and when that happens, expect an intense reaction.

A tsunami on ice is waiting for the Isles once the puck drops tonight so we're going to learn a ton about where we stand after the first 5-10 minutes.
The counter to this is that their parts are easily rattled. Collectively, they should be a team on a mission and will come out flying. But put someone like Malkin through the glass and they will crumble like they have in recent history.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:15 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
My prediction before this series was that it would go the way all three previous Isles-Pens series have gone: it goes the limit and the Isles win by one goal in the decisive game. Therefore, tonight's result doesn't matter b/c it's going 7 anyway!

Seriously, would not be surprised if they go with Martinek and Hickey and the strategy is to play team-tough but not gooning it up and try to keep the puck away from the Pens with the transition game (kind of the strategy for the whole series). The Isles can't let the Pens get established in the offensive zone.

One other thing: I've had this feeling that JT has an epic performance in him this series. Something crazy like a 3rd period hat trick to win a game. Just saying.

I was thinking the same, can see it happening and it would be unreal ! At the end of they day there is a lot of things teams need to do. Tonight, just win. Tonight's game 4 is the number...4 goals win this game.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Knish Of The Crease

We just have to eliminate the bonehead odd man rushes and uncontested shots inside the circles.

Knish Of The Crease is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

I am so amped up for this game its all I can think about at work.

Stay out of the Box!!

Attack FAST AND FURIOUS

NABAKOV PLEASE BE DOMINANT!!

I have a fear that the Pens are going to play really dirty tonight with the intent to injure and thats why I want Carkner playing. We must win tonight!!

LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:24 PM
hunter7isles

Quote:
Hate to be that guy

I was at that game 4. What a crazy game. Back and forth the entire game. Crazy energy to the crowd. Even my dad, who is a Rangers fan was doing the "Let's Go Islanders" beeping as we were leaving.

hunter7isles is offline   Reply With Quote