HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF Game 5 | New York Islanders vs. Pittsburgh Penguins | May 9 | 7 PM | L 4-0

Old
05-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter7isles View Post
I was at that game 4. What a crazy game. Back and forth the entire game. Crazy energy to the crowd. Even my dad, who is a Rangers fan was doing the "Let's Go Islanders" beeping as we were leaving.
The night of the Tom Fitzgerald double shorty! Ahhh such good memories.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:34 PM
hunter7isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
And now this group is creating new memories. And the best part is that my kids will grow up watching a real organization which probably will now be competitive for years to come now. I grew up watching the best player leave the team every few years and then not knowing what a best player was any more at some point.

hunter7isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
I was at that game 4. What a crazy game. Back and forth the entire game. Crazy energy to the crowd. Even my dad, who is a Rangers fan was doing the "Let's Go Islanders" beeping as we were leaving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
That game was my first playoff game. I was stunned at how loud the building was that night!

And remember, Fitzgerald was supposed to be in the box for one of those shorties. He took a penalty, but the ref thought it was someone else who did it, so they went in the box. I bet the Penguins weren't too happy about that.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:46 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
We just have to eliminate the bonehead odd man rushes and uncontested shots inside the circles.
in other words, how 3/4 of NHL goals are scored lol

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:57 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Stay out of the box and capitalize on the powerplays and this game is yours.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:17 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Funny story about game 3. I was working at Home Depot in Farmingdale when it was behind Wendy's next to adventureland. I said to a bunch of my co worker friends "hey why don't we go to a playoff game?". I made a arrangement to go on my hour lunch break and take a ride to NVMC to see if I could pick up 6 or so tickets. One of the co workers was from Pitts and was a manager also. I don't recall much, but as we were walking into the building the place erupted (got their a few minutes late I guess) and we sat down and that was the only goal the Islanders scored and I beLIeve we lost 2-1. So in hindsight I never actually saw a playoff goal by the Isles = (

Edit: The final was 3-1
http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxs...305060NYI.html

I can't seem to find the scoring summary so if anyone else was there or remembers, I swore that goal was in the 1st 2 minutes.

Reedit: I found the Boxscore and I guess we got there real late because it was at the 2:18 mark, but in the 2nd period! It's all starting to come back to me now. I remember walking in and nobody was in the in the hallways.

Last edited by MattMartin: 05-09-2013 at 03:28 PM.
MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Knish Of The Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
in other words, how 3/4 of NHL goals are scored lol
Exactly. That's why the need to be ELIMINATED

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:33 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
So while I was trying to find the boxscore of a old playoff game I found this site.

http://hsp.flyershistory.com/

If you go to the bottom under summaries you can click for boxscores from 1917-2013 for regular season and playoffs..Real good stuff!!!

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:37 PM
BaileyToOkposo

http://imgius.com/photos/20130509136808541567205.gif
And I've seen him do that numerous times this series.

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
That game was my first playoff game. I was stunned at how loud the building was that night!

And remember, Fitzgerald was supposed to be in the box for one of those shorties. He took a penalty, but the ref thought it was someone else who did it, so they went in the box. I bet the Penguins weren't too happy about that.
Correct sir! It was a high stick that was CLEAR AS DAY committed by Fitzy. I believe Claude Loiselle was called for it instead and that eff up by the refs basically won us that game. Let's face it... Claude Loiselle would NOT have scored two shorty's on the same power play.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
So while I was trying to find the boxscore of a old playoff game I found this site.

http://hsp.flyershistory.com/

If you go to the bottom under summaries you can click for boxscores from 1917-2013 for regular season and playoffs..Real good stuff!!!
Yup I found that site a while ago. Really cool.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Echoes of 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
http://imgius.com/photos/20130509136808541567205.gif
And I've seen him do that numerous times this series.
Lol. Hilarious gif. Ovechkin engages in no motion whatsoever. Thanks for coming back to the play!

Echoes of 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:11 PM
JJA86

To prove regular season doesn't matter as we say Voukoon owned us ect, is the Isles were a bad 3rd period teams. Well in the last 3 games the Isles were down 1-2 goals and either won it or brought it to OT. With that being said. Isles down a goal or better going into the 3rd might just be a WIN

JJA86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Renbarg

It looks bad, but I contend its not. Ovechkin is a winger, and the Caps had 3 guys back, the Rangers only had 3 guys below the points. Oveckin was where he was supposed to be, it was the defense that screwed that situation up. Ovy, shouldn't be flying to the puck defensively, if his team has the numbers back, he stays with his point guy.

Obviously if he knew it was going to be an empty net he would go down there, but there is no way he would have knew in time to do anything about it.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:15 PM
BillD

Tons of pressure on the Pens.
They will start real hard but over do it, make mistakes.
We will not be steamrolled, we are great counterpunchers.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Echoes of 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
It looks bad, but I contend its not. Ovechkin is a winger, and the Caps had 3 guys back, the Rangers only had 3 guys below the points. Oveckin was where he was supposed to be, it was the defense that screwed that situation up. Ovy, shouldn't be flying to the puck defensively, if his team has the numbers back, he stays with his point guy.

Obviously if he knew it was going to be an empty net he would go down there, but there is no way he would have knew in time to do anything about it.
I think you're right in that it makes for a funny gif, but that goal doesn't have much to do with Ovechkin.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:00 PM
On Edge

I'm sure I'm one of the older guys and was at that first game back in 1972 but I have NEVER been to a Islander playoff game.

Was overseas in the military - wouldnt you know - from 1980 to 1985 lol. Didn't set foot in the US for almost 5 years...Just my luck. My dad gave up his season tickets after the 1985 season. Figures!

Jonesing to Stub hub it for Saturday and break my playoff chrry this Saturday for the clincher (wouldnt that be something!!!).

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Echoes of 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
I'm sure I'm one of the older guys and was at that first game back in 1972 but I have NEVER been to a Islander playoff game.

Was overseas in the military - wouldnt you know - from 1980 to 1985 lol. Didn't set foot in the US for almost 5 years...Just my luck. My dad gave up his season tickets after the 1985 season. Figures!

Jonesing to Stub hub it for Saturday and break my playoff chrry this Saturday for the clincher (wouldnt that be something!!!).
No matter the result of the game tonight, you should try to go on Saturday. The playoff atmosphere at the Coliseum is completely different than the prevailing atmosphere during the regular season. Besides, this is one of the team's last years at the Coliseum.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:08 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post

There's a subtle difference though. It's not that Ovechkin should have been there or he blew a coverage or something -- it's the absolute lack of hustle that is pretty disgraceful. It's the playoffs and a guy just passed it off and opens himself up wide open in front of the net and you are the closest guy to him. That means you bust your ass to him despite it not being your position, and whoever is supposed to be there should fill in your old slot since you are late to the play. The blame of the goal isn't on Ovie, but the lack of hustle is. Anybody who's played competitive sports know what hustle from the opposing team does. When you hear footsteps, you can easily get rattled -- maybe Stepan flubs the reception of the pass, or gets nervous because he's going to get rocked. Most likely not, but you never know. I tell you what though, when I played sports, nothing was easier than playing against a team that you knew the other team was going to give you time and the leisure to operate. There's only a very small difference between having time to operate and the perception of having time to operate.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:08 PM
LAIslanderFan

My keys for the game:
- Withstand the push the Penguins will throw at the Islanders to start the game. The home crowd will be a big lift for the Pens and I'm sure Pittsburgh will come out flying. I think we might see Malkin and Crosby togther early on to set the tone.
- Good Penalty kill. There's going to be penalties, I'm still not that confident in the Isles PK.
- MacDonald's replacement is steady and has a good showing. Andrew MacDonald has been very steady and he's been one of the on ice leaders in this series. Who's ever taking his minutes, needs to be sharp!
- Big saves from Nabby. Nabakov has made the routine save, but has yet to come up big in my opinion. When the Islanders score a goal, Pittsburgh seems to be able to come right back and score on the Isles. That has to stop, it changes the emotion of the game. Nabby needs to be the man after an Islander goal.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:10 PM
macleod50

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post

Do it. Even if you overpay by a lot. The atmosphere on Sunday and Tuesday is not something you're going to see very often. Saturday will be even crazier if it's to clinch.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Strummergas

Less than an hour to go! I'm fighting off a cold, but nothing can sap all the energy I've got pent up waiting for the puck to drop!

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:15 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
I'm expecting a much slower pace of game today. I don't think the Penguins want to keep running and gunning against the Isles. They need to play a puck possession game, wherein they cycle the puck and use individual talents to finish. It'll be interesting to see how well Vokoun plays.

The Isles have certainly been exciting. They have a lot of speed. Would certainly be good for the organization to engineer such an upset.

Go Isles!

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:33 PM
isleskovalchuk

Here we go!!

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

This guy is hanging from my Lab closet at work.

Also making the kiddies extra credit for the weather test:

Whats the score of the Isles game at 10 mins into the 1st?
Whats the score of the Isles game w/ 2:30 left in the 2nd?
Who was the 1st star of the game?

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote