HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cost of moving up to your 3rd overall...

Old
04-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Trobes

vCash: 500
Cost of moving up to your 3rd overall...

Sabres fan coming in peace...

What will it cost to move up to the third overall? Would a trade of Vanek, our 1st this year (8th) and one of our 2nd this year (38th) for your 1st (3rd) this year be enough?

Trobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:35 AM
TheGreatOutlaw

Most Lightning fans will disagree with me , but what about Bishop + Brewer 3rd overall for Miller Myers and your first? Salary comes back to both teams. We would take on more, but you would take on enough to keep you on the floor, but not overpay long term to any player. You get a possible starter, a top 4 d-man,veteran presence, and 3rd overall . We get a true starter and a top 4 D with major issues right now. If you want to add Stafford maybe we could add Malone. Both are similar players with similar salaries and skill sets, but who are not producing to their ability anymore. Maybe a low to mid level prospect coming back either way?

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:37 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOutlaw View Post
Most Lightning fans will disagree with me , but what about Bishop + Brewer 3rd overall for Miller Myers and your first? The Salary comes back to both teams. You get a possible starter, a top 4 d-man and 3rd overall . We get a true starter and a top 4 D with major issues right now. If you want to add Stafford maybe we could add malone. Both are similar players with similar salaries and skill sets, but who are not producing to their ability anymore.
Well, you got that first part right.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:01 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Why would we trade away a potential franchise player? For some reason, people feel compelled to believe we need an elite talent less than other teams?

If that wasn't clear, we're not trading the pick.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:58 AM
TheGreatOutlaw

You cannot guarantee that either of the top 3 picks will be franchise players. Miller would be the best goalie we ever had. Myers will immediately upgrade the D and be the second most talented player on it and one of the biggest. We also would be getting the 8th pick in a deep draft. Erik Gudbranson ,Zach Bogosian ,and Matt Duchene are all recent 3rd overall picks who are clearly not near franchise players at this point. I think Drouin and Mackinnon are good but guarantee franchise players is a far stretch for unproven players.

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:14 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
You cannot guarantee that either of the top 3 picks will be franchise players. Miller would be the best goalie we ever had. Myers will immediately upgrade the D and be the second most talented player on it and one of the biggest. We also would be getting the 8th pick in a deep draft. Erik Gudbranson ,Zach Bogosian ,and Matt Duchene are all recent 3rd overall picks who are clearly not near franchise players at this point. I think Drouin and Mackinnon are good but guarantee franchise players is a far stretch for unproven players.

Who the **** said anything about Miller and Myers? The offer was an 8th and 38th for our 3rd. There's 0 incentive for us to make that deal if we have the opportunity to select what professionals consider an elite top 3. If SFY wanted Miller he would have traded for him at the deadline.

How is Duchene not a franchise type player? He was almost PPG this season and had 67 points in his rookie year all with very poor Avs teams. The other two you listed are defensemen who were never considered in the same elite level as this year's top 3. In past years, it's been two elite players at the top (2008 & 2010) or drafts that were not considered to be extremely top heavy but fairly deep throughout (2011 & 2012). You also failed to mention that Toews, Huberdeau and Galchenyuk were also drafted 3rd overall in fairly recent drafts who all had great years.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

I dont think TB will trade this pick unless its for a Dman we cant say no to. Which is unlikely to happen. I think TB takes Drouin and he takes over for MSL when he retires. Perfect would have been getting Jones but to replace MSL as easy as this is the next best scenario we could have been given. Unless a team can find a way to wow us with a Dman we cant refuse. It will be fun looking at the proposals over the next couple months though.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Most Lightning fans will disagree with me , but what about Bishop + Brewer 3rd overall for Miller Myers and your first? Salary comes back to both teams. We would take on more, but you would take on enough to keep you on the floor, but not overpay long term to any player. You get a possible starter, a top 4 d-man,veteran presence, and 3rd overall . We get a true starter and a top 4 D with major issues right now. If you want to add Stafford maybe we could add Malone. Both are similar players with similar salaries and skill sets, but who are not producing to their ability anymore. Maybe a low to mid level prospect coming back either way?
Okay, our 3rd overall (with talent by the buttload) + a young goalie with a lot of potential + a throw-in for

A goalie on the wrong side of 30 + A defenseman who has been nothing but mediocre since his rookie year + a pick that will likely not have nearly the contribution of the #3.

That's a bad ****ing deal. Miller is still a solid goaltender, but his value is on the decline, and his production has declined since his Vezina + Olympic years.

Bishop may not win a Vezina, but he seems like he's solid, and we've got a stud goaltending prospect, maybe the best not currently in the NHL, waiting in the wings. Drouin has all the talent in the world, and if he works hard (and with mentors like Stamkos and Marty I doubt anyone is going to let him slack off), this guy could be a fixture on our top line for the next 10-15 years. Why the **** are people so eager to get rid of that?

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Its not hard to see what SY will ultimately try to do. We all know they need D. They will likely trade some of these forward prospects for the best D we can possibly get. If not wait until a good trade comes a long. This is a great group of young players and will be worth something the more they show what they are capable of. SY could benefit from being patient and maximizing his best offer down the road vs this offseason. It could come this offseason though. MSL isnt getting younger and if the team wants to make another push they may want to do it sooner than later but this teams best days are obviously in the future when these young guys are all ready and are playing in the NHL. Cant wait to see what happens.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:44 PM
HoseEmDown

We traded the #4 pick for Ruslan Fedotenko once so you never know with this franchise. We don't need a goaltender on the decline (Miller), a forward we can't fit under the cap(Vanek) or an overrated D(Myers).

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
We traded the #4 pick for Ruslan Fedotenko once so you never know with this franchise. We don't need a goaltender on the decline (Miller), a forward we can't fit under the cap(Vanek) or an overrated D(Myers).
When Feaster was GM

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:27 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
#WhenFeasterwasGM
Fixed it for you, only because I really think that hashtag could be a thing

Old
04-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Looked like a crap move at the time but we all know what Feds did for this team. There's nobody that wouldn't make that move again.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Fixed it for you, only because I really think that hashtag could be a thing

let's make this happen.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:39 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
Looked like a crap move at the time but we all know what Feds did for this team. There's nobody that wouldn't make that move again.
Especially since the whole trade was Fedotenko+2 2nd rounders (#34 traded to Dallas for Brad Lukowich and a 7th rounder which turned into Jay Rosehill; #52 traded to SJS for 2 picks) for the 4th overall pick (Joni Pitkanen). I'd make that trade every time.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
One extra bonus to that trade is Philly rushed Pitkanen in 03-04 and he was dreadful in the playoffs going -3 in 4 games with zero points vs. the Lightning in the ECF.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:16 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
One extra bonus to that trade is Philly rushed Pitkanen in 03-04 and he was dreadful in the playoffs going -3 in 4 games with zero points vs. the Lightning in the ECF.
There you go

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:47 PM
TBLHoser

I just can't envision trading a player such as Drouin to a division rival. Conacher yes, Drouin no.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:19 AM
Sky04

I actually wouldn't mind Myers, not for a 3rd overall obviously, but he has enormous potential that's on par with Hedman's.

I think the kid just needs a change of scenery, and if we can develop Myers properly next to Hedman, that would just be insane for the next 10 years, top pairing averaging 6'7 who can be elite at both ends would be a dream.

If we could get Myers for one of our up and coming forwards which we have in bundles, it's worth the risk.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Jacko95

Not many players I would think about trading for third overall. One of the few (I love him, so maybe I overrate him a little bit) would be Roman Josi, but obviously with a + like their 2nd rounder.
I think he would be the perfect partner for Hedman, is young and will even get better, while having quit a bit of experience already.

Jacko95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Not many players I would think about trading for third overall. One of the few (I love him, so maybe I overrate him a little bit) would be Roman Josi, but obviously with a + like their 2nd rounder.
I think he would be the perfect partner for Hedman, is young and will even get better, while having quit a bit of experience already.
I would like another asset coming back, honestly, but Josi is a good player without a doubt.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
I would like another asset coming back, honestly, but Josi is a good player without a doubt.
Well what would that have to be in your opinion?

If they give up Josi, I doubt they would be willing with any other defender and well their forward group doesn't offer a hell lot to look for, especially in our situation.
A minor asset that could be useful IMO would be Salomaki.A little sandpaper would be pretty good in Syracuse, though that should be good next year again with Paquette and Richard.
Rich Clune would be awesome as 4th line winger and Taylor Beck might be good as well as devensive forward (prospect).

Other than that nothing seems to be a real upgrade over anything we have.

I would be willing to pay the 3rd overall for a package of Josi 2nd rounder and Clune, but the problem is, they don't have a 2nd rounder this year. But otherwise we could couple their 2nd roudner for next year with our 2nd rounder and move up to around 22 or so and draft Müller or Hägg or somebody other.

Jacko95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

If we trade the third for a guy like Josi, we're going to regret it. I like Josi, and would love to package Connolly or something for him, but Connolly plays with Weber. I'd look good out there playing with Weber, and I can't skate backwards.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:17 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
If we trade the third for a guy like Josi, we're going to regret it. I like Josi, and would love to package Connolly or something for him, but Connolly plays with Weber. I'd look good out there playing with Weber, and I can't skate backwards.
No doubt that Josi is a top pairing defenseman, but he's certainly not an elite one either (not yet anyway, I don't think he will be). I would not give up an elite level prospect for anything on the basis that Marty isn't getting any younger and it's a beautiful thing to build the base of your team on two dynamic offensive talents (Toews/Kane, Cros/Geno, Zetts/Datsyuk, Getzy/Perry etc.).

Also, players of Josi's caliber on defense can be found in later rounds since defensemen take longer to develop anyway. I would rather package prospects (I'd even consider Connolly) to land us that first pairing dman to play with Hedman.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Canes fans liked a similar deal, so I figured I'd ask you as well since I think Tampa is looking to improve their defense (please correct me if I'm wrong).

How would you feel about a deal around Edler + 1st round pick (20 something) for the 3rd overall pick?

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote