HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phaneuf discussion thread

Old
05-10-2013, 07:52 PM
pcruz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
Excellent and very accurate article here!:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle11839336/

A Calgary fan says:
I'd say that Phaneuf can't be moved because of his contract is insane, but I said the same thing in Calgary until that sucker Burke came along and took him off their hands. I guess Toronto media is pretty far behind the curve because this is the same thing that people were saying about him in Calgary years ago. He signed a big contract because he got a lot of goals on the powerplay even though his defensive game was lacking. He doesn't have great mobility, his positioning isn't great, and he often gets out of position when he goes for big hits. Exactly what people were saying about him in Calgary, exactly why people questioned the move by Toronto to get him, and exactly what people are saying now. This is old news.

Another fan says:
D.P. needs to take a page from the Hal Gill school of Dmen. Gill sucked for years until someone reshaped his game and he became a stay-at-home Dman with strong positional play and fewer up ice mistakes.

This is the only positive comment and perspective that I can accept. Phaneuf's only upside is to be a stay-at-home Dman.

If I recall, Calgary had this guy on the team, Jay Bouwmeester. I'd like someone to name me someone on the Leafs who is equivalent (today, not in 5 years) to Jay. They traded one of their 2 top 2 d-men because they were both getting paid way too much for their production, but being that they had 2, if they traded one, they'd still have one.

If the Leafs trade one, they have none. Dio is going nowhere unless Nonis can get a #1 or 2 defenseman.

pcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:54 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

great bounce back game from our captain
though I know he made one mistake, and now some clowns will say that he had a terrible game

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:58 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Captain was solid tonight, he made several goal saving plays. ie Seguin that probably went unnoticed.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
great bounce back game from our captain
though I know he made one mistake, and now some clowns will say that he had a terrible game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Captain was solid tonight, he made several goal saving plays. ie Seguin that probably went unnoticed.
Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:02 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed.
I respect him more tonight than ever, he not only stepped up to the mike and manned up for the goal Reimer may want back, I am sure Reims had that on his mind tonight. Having Dion's back. But he bounced back with a solid game tonight.

And under the criticism I am sure he has heard, really I never blamed him, the leafs gave up a 2 goal lead, plenty of blame in the 3 straight goals the B's scored when we could close it out.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Great game tonight. Was scary when the wingers became spectators though.

Tie Domi Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:12 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tie Domi Esquire View Post
Great game tonight. Was scary when the wingers became spectators though.

I called him having a bounce back game today, and he did that
when phaneuf just plays solid 2 way hockey, while not doing too much
he looks great out there

Old
05-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Dion's injure. I called it when he was injured after that tendon scratch that took him out for a while and he came back early. He was playing awful and as the season ended he admitted it, and the way he is playing now is almost the shades of how it was then. His shot and skating to start the acceleration is taking a toll. I hope he adjusts to it and gets even better for the enxt game.

05-10-2013, 10:19 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Dion's injure. I called it when he was injured after that tendon scratch that took him out for a while and he came back early. He was playing awful and as the season ended he admitted it, and the way he is playing now is almost the shades of how it was then. His shot and skating to start the acceleration is taking a toll. I hope he adjusts to it and gets even better for the enxt game.

his skating looks a little off, but tonight, played great. needs to keep it up

Old
05-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
his skating looks a little off, but tonight, played great. needs to keep it up
he looked good to me except the last bit where he was jamming too much it seems. However I didn't watch the full game so I dont want to pass judgement Gotta be fair here

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcruz View Post
If I recall, Calgary had this guy on the team, Jay Bouwmeester. I'd like someone to name me someone on the Leafs who is equivalent (today, not in 5 years) to Jay. They traded one of their 2 top 2 d-men because they were both getting paid way too much for their production, but being that they had 2, if they traded one, they'd still have one.

If the Leafs trade one, they have none. Dio is going nowhere unless Nonis can get a #1 or 2 defenseman.
He does things that make me want to scratch my eyes out, but, for a dman who has never had anyone to teach him how to control the tempo as a two way dman, he's getting there. He needs help and a 2nd pairing that can eat some of those tough minutes. He's also just entering his prime as a dman. Not worried. As with all players, you have to take the good with the bad and hope the good outweighs the bad sooner rather than later, and for the most part, that's been the case.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Superstar

Quote:

A Calgary fan says:
I'd say that Phaneuf can't be moved because of his contract is insane, but I said the same thing in Calgary until that sucker Burke came along and took him off their hands. I guess Toronto media is pretty far behind the curve because this is the same thing that people were saying about him in Calgary years ago. He signed a big contract because he got a lot of goals on the powerplay even though his defensive game was lacking. He doesn't have great mobility, his positioning isn't great, and he often gets out of position when he goes for big hits. Exactly what people were saying about him in Calgary, exactly why people questioned the move by Toronto to get him, and exactly what people are saying now. This is old news.

Another fan says:
D.P. needs to take a page from the Hal Gill school of Dmen. Gill sucked for years until someone reshaped his game and he became a stay-at-home Dman with strong positional play and fewer up ice mistakes.

This is the only positive comment and perspective that I can accept. Phaneuf's only upside is to be a stay-at-home Dman.
Funny, Phaneuf is one of the main reasons the Leafs are in the playoffs. Where's Calgary? I didn't know you love Stajan, White, Hagman and Mayers that much.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:26 PM
zeke
#freewilly

great job by Gunnar and Phaneuf tonight hammering down on that Krejci line. Played them tight, played them physical, and pretty much took them right out of the game. good stuff.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:27 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:

A Calgary fan says:

Another fan says:

Yup, and look how calgary has done since trading Phaneuf.

the guy is right that Phaneuf is a great shutdown defensive dman, but he just has the added bonus of being one of the elite offensive dmen in the league as well.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:28 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
The Leafs are nothing even resembling one of the better teams in hockey. They are, at best, a middle of the pack team.
The Leafs finished 9th in the league, and 3rd in regulation wins.

one of the better teams in hockey.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:06 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
The Leafs finished 9th in the league, and 3rd in regulation wins.

one of the better teams in hockey.
Well, first of all, 9th out of 30 isn't really impressive. That's pretty much middle of the pack, isn't it?

More importantly, they had a good half-season.... after sucking for a decade. If they do the same thing next year, I would agree they are one of the better teams.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well, first of all, 9th out of 30 isn't really impressive. That's pretty much middle of the pack, isn't it?

More importantly, they had a good half-season.... after sucking for a decade. If they do the same thing next year, I would agree they are one of the better teams.
I agree. Wins and losses aside, we all watched these games. I can absolutely pick out 5 games they had no right winning, and a couple others where 50-50 was best case scenario. They could just as easily missed the playoffs with another 10 games in the season. I'm glad they did make it because win or lose this series is going to help them for next year. It's all about the monkeys

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:53 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:

9th in hockey, 3rd most regulation wins, 6th in scoring, 7th in goaltending.

one of the better teams in hockey this year.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Tak7

I didn't think he was great tonight.

Gave the puck away a lot, didn't put himself about physically.

Nowhere near as calm and solid as he was in the regular season.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:19 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:

A Calgary fan says:

Another fan says:

I'm going to listen to a bunch of jaded Calgary fans for insight on a player they don't even watch anymore because....?

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:39 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
9th in hockey, 3rd most regulation wins, 6th in scoring, 7th in goaltending.

one of the better teams in hockey this year.
You forgot 2nd in penalty kill percentage, Zeke.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:53 AM
studebaker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
You forgot 2nd in penalty kill percentage, Zeke.
top 1/3rd in every catagory, nothing about them is middle of the pack. hitting and fighting majors are up there as well.

studebaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Leaftors

how can you even say 9 out of 30 isnt that impressive?

give your head a shake seriously. that means we were better then 21 other teams, but only 8 were better then us.

Leaftors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:21 AM
notdoneyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
I didn't think he was great tonight.

Gave the puck away a lot, didn't put himself about physically.

Nowhere near as calm and solid as he was in the regular season.
I take it from this comment you didnt watch the game. Dion lead the team with 7 hits and probably 5 of them were on lucic. He pounded lucic evry time he had a chance.

Look dion gambled the other night and lost. If he keeps that puck in we have a 3 on 4 on 2 and a good scoring chance and then he would hve been a hero. But we all know how it ended.

Even norris niminated dmen make mistakes and look bad on some plays.

Watched the game (NYI/PITS) and tavares went around letang like he was standing still.

Watched the (OTT/MTL) games and everytime someone went to hit subban he bailed out of the way and gave up the puck. He was scared to death to take a hit.

Watched the (CHI/MIN) games and Suter couldnt clear the front of the net and it resulted in chicago scoring 2 goals.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Dion had a very good game last night. Steady and was physical. He hits Lucic and
Marchand every chance he could.

When he makes a mistake all the Dion haters have something to say. They come out in force. When he has a good game they are nowhere to be found. At least the good posters will criticize a bad game but then give credit when he plays a good one.

There is no way we would be in these playofs this year without Dion. He plays the harders minutes of anyone on the ice and always with an inferior partner.

notdoneyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 08:51 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
I'm just assuming he's really hurt, but still playing. Has not looked great the past few games. Still fairly effective out there, as evidenced of what he can do with that ice time but can't be close to 100%.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote