HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Is Henrik Zetterberg currently punching his ticket to the Hall of Fame?

Old
05-14-2013, 06:22 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

vCash: 500
Is Henrik Zetterberg currently punching his ticket to the Hall of Fame?

He's had an amazing season. Fresh captain of a newly Lidstrom-less Detroit, many thought the Wings would miss the playoffs. To cap off a great season he had an amazing final month leading the Wings into the playoffs, and he's on another level in the postseason.

As for others, I think Ovechkin secured his spot in the Hall this season, as did Martin St. Louis.

At this point it's also going to take something drastic for Hossa and Kovalchuk to not make it.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:27 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Zetterberg at least is one of Detroit's greats of his era, just like Larry Aurie was in his (not in the HHOF either):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD
Larry Aurie, who had his number retired by Detroit after more than a decade on a line with Herbie Lewis. He led all NHLers in goals scored in his tenth NHL season and was the 1st team all-star selection to end a four-year stretch in which he finished top-10 in NHL assists three times and in NHL goals twice. He had led the playoffs in assists with 7 as the Red Wings went to the 1934 Stanley Cup Finals, then won the cup two postseasons later, contributing a goal and a couple of assists and noted defensive play. "Little Dempsey" fought when needed and he was also known as "The Little Rag Man" for his skill in holding onto the puck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Calgary Daily Herald - Mar 24, 1934
Busher Jackson... names Larry Aurie of the Red Wings the hardest-checking right-winger in the league
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leader-Post - Mar 18, 1938
One of the greatest two-way forwards in the National League, the mighty mite, 139 pound right winger veteran of the ice lanes is the last member of the club that introduced major league hockey to Detroit in 1927. A fighter throughout every game, Aurie always was ready to trade punches with the biggest players in the circuit when aroused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Windsor Daily Star - Oct 10, 1942
Lewis... and Larry Aurie, the two way terrors who sparked the Red Wings to their first Stanley Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit: City of Champions
He was XXXXXX' favourite player and he gained the respect of his opponents with his aggressiveness, intelligence and scoring touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by If They Played Hockey in Heaven:The Jack Adams Story
Little Larry Aurie caught Jack's attention early in the pre-season training sessions and before the 1927-28 campaign was halfway completed, Adams was proudly calling the gutty forward, "Hockey's best two-way player."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Although one of the smallest men ever to play, he was one of the toughest of the era as well.
Quote:
Aurie captained the team in the 1932–33 season, led the league in playoff scoring in 1934 with 10 points in nine games and led the league in goal scoring in 1937 with 23 while earning a first-team selection on the post-season NHL All-Star Team.

His selfless play and hustle made him a favorite of owner James Norris.

Aurie scored his NHL leading 23rd goal on March 11, 1937 in a 4–2 win over the New York Rangers, but later in the game fractured his leg in a collision with Rangers' defenceman Art Coulter, ending his season. Aurie's season leading scoring performance earned him a berth on the NHL First All-Star Team. Unfortunately, this was Aurie’s last strong season. The lingering effects of his fractured leg began to affect his play and in 1937–38, he dropped to 10 goals and 19 points and was forced to retire after the season at age 33. After the season, team owner James Norris decided to honor Aurie by retiring his jersey No. 6 - the first Detroit player to have this honor bestowed upon him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Aurie

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1326325

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Even if his career ended after this season, and I doubt it does Zetts would have a decent chance making the HHOF.

Aurie was a pretty decent player but not in Zetts class IMO.

Zetts overall playoff record and better consistency is what sets him apart.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:12 PM
yave1964
22 and counting

My perspective is skewed as a Wings fan, but quite frankly I believe he has entered the gray area. His ten best comps according to Hockeyreference.com through this point in his career are:
Mogilny
Sakic
Yashin
Busher Jackson
Denis Savard
Michel Goulet
Mats Sundin
Hawerchuk
Datyuk
Federov

Quite a group. Most are in the Hall, a few more will make it and the ones that don't aren't far out.
They say you put up your sizzle stats during your twenties to build your case, and build on them in your thirties with numbers that fluff your all time stats. I personally think regardless of how the team does, if he builds on his career stats for three or four more seasons he is a lock.

Of the other four you mentioned, Hossa, Ovie and St. Louis are pretty much locks, I think Kovalchuk needs to maintain his level for another couple of years but he is getting real, real close. He has been a monster talent on mostly very bad teams and has done even less than Ovie to get them over the top, with the exception of the Devils last season. If individual numbers are the only guideline he is right there, if team results count it will certainly count against him. It is just a matter of how much. Good post.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:28 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
My perspective is skewed as a Wings fan, but quite frankly I believe he has entered the gray area. His ten best comps according to Hockeyreference.com through this point in his career are:
Mogilny
Sakic
Yashin
Busher Jackson
Denis Savard
Michel Goulet
Mats Sundin
Hawerchuk
Datyuk
Federov

What a completely random group of players.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 09:32 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
Mogilny
Sakic
Yashin
Busher Jackson
Denis Savard
Michel Goulet
Mats Sundin
Hawerchuk
Datyuk
Federov

Quite a group. Most are in the Hall, a few more will make it and the ones that don't aren't far out.
They say you put up your sizzle stats during your twenties to build your case, and build on them in your thirties with numbers that fluff your all time stats. I personally think regardless of how the team does, if he builds on his career stats for three or four more seasons he is a lock.

Of the other four you mentioned, Hossa, Ovie and St. Louis are pretty much locks, I think Kovalchuk needs to maintain his level for another couple of years but he is getting real, real close. He has been a monster talent on mostly very bad teams and has done even less than Ovie to get them over the top, with the exception of the Devils last season. If individual numbers are the only guideline he is right there, if team results count it will certainly count against him. It is just a matter of how much. Good post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
What a completely random group of players.
Put no stock into those comparisons, they're based on adjusted point shares, which are useless and don't show anything if you ask me. I'm not sure Zetterberg gets in if his career were to end tomorrow, but considering the trajectory his career has taken and that he probably has a couple of good seasons left in him, I think it's enough to get in.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Big Phil

I think he's in the right direction. His playoff portfolio will be hard to ignore when all is said and done. Plus, his numbers aren't gaudy, but if you combine that with Selke-worthy defense at all times then it is more impressive. Plus the eye test. You always know when Zetterberg is on the ice. Much like Toews or before him Dave Keon, Zetterberg is a player who is better than his stats portray him to be. An eventual HHOFer in my book.

Oh by the way, Ovie and St. Louis are in there if they quit tomorrow. Hossa and Kovalchuk I will say are on the right path. And is it pretty much assumed that Thornton and Iginla are in there regardless?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I think he's in the right direction. His playoff portfolio will be hard to ignore when all is said and done. Plus, his numbers aren't gaudy, but if you combine that with Selke-worthy defense at all times then it is more impressive. Plus the eye test. You always know when Zetterberg is on the ice. Much like Toews or before him Dave Keon, Zetterberg is a player who is better than his stats portray him to be. An eventual HHOFer in my book.
Pretty much agree and maybe only needs one or two more 60ish point seasons to get in, given that playoff resume so far.

Quote:
Oh by the way, Ovie and St. Louis are in there if they quit tomorrow.
Yes both of these guys are getting in, despite less than impressive playoff resumes overall.

Quote:
Hossa and Kovalchuk I will say are on the right path.
they are both in the 85% plus area right now of getting that lock IMO.

Quote:
And is it pretty much assumed that Thornton and Iginla are in there regardless?
I think both thorton and Iggy are locks at this point, the rest is just extra.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:10 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
And is it pretty much assumed that Thornton and Iginla are in there regardless?
Yeah, they're both locks, I didn't think it was worth mentioning them.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 11:27 PM
pdd

It might be worth mentioning this:

Since Zetterberg was drafted:

Only Patrik Elias has more playoff points (114 to Zetterberg's 110), and only Patrick Marleau has as many playoff goals (54).

Since Zetterberg entered the league:

Only one other player has scored 100 playoff points (Daniel Briere, 106; Crosby and Datsyuk are likely to break 100 within the next couple weeks), and nobody else has hit 50 playoff goals (Briere is second with 48).

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Sentinel

He is in. AINEDebatable.

The real question is about his number being retired.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:11 AM
nwaZ

Complete hockey-player. He's a leader, playmaker, goalscorer, can be physical, great in both directions, always steps up in the playoffs and with the NT. Stunning player.

You really notice when Zetterberg is in the team. He makes everyone around better. Ofc he should be in the HOF.

nwaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:22 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I think he will. He probably needs a couple more consistent seasons and another decent playoff run to guarantee entry into the Hall.