HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs mis-handling the media this series

Old
05-09-2013, 02:52 PM
dutchy29

vCash: 500
Habs mis-handling the media this series

Maybe this has already been discussed at length, but I really feel the Canadiens as an organization have really mishandled the media during the series, playing right into the hands of the Ottawa Sens. A couple of the top of my head obviously is Brandon Prust's remarks concerning the "fat walrus"
Another one that really bugged me was before game 4 when Therien was asked about who would be starting and he laughed very sarcasticly and said "are you serious" "Price" I mean this doesn't send a good message to your back up goalie, it be-littles him IMO. there were countless others, but I fear the team as a whole listened a bit much to what the Sens were saying and should have stuck to their formula which was successful most of the season.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Gunners CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Maybe this has already been discussed at length, but I really feel the Canadiens as an organization have really mishandled the media during the series, playing right into the hands of the Ottawa Sens. A couple of the top of my head obviously is Brandon Prust's remarks concerning the "fat walrus"
Another one that really bugged me was before game 4 when Therien was asked about who would be starting and he laughed very sarcasticly and said "are you serious" "Price" I mean this doesn't send a good message to your back up goalie, it be-littles him IMO. there were countless others, but I fear the team as a whole listened a bit much to what the Sens were saying and should have stuck to their formula which was successful most of the season.
I definitely agree that they seemed to often be playing into exactly what the Senators wanted them to be doing. Therrien had multiple chances to simply use something that the Sens did as fuel in the locker room, and not bite back at them through the media.

I disagree about that game 4 comment about Price though. That was obviously meant as a vote of confidence for Price, that game 3 wasn't all on him, and that it was laughable that they'd move away from him for game 4.

Even Subban's comments before tonight, another good example of giving the Sens more to work with.

Gunners CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Captain Saku

Can Michel Therrien stop saying 'tsé' in press conferences when he speaks in french? It's annoying.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:06 PM
coolasprICE

Offending Budaj? Come on man.

I'm critical of MT but I think every coach in the NHL would say that. Budaj accepts his role, which is why he re-signed at that low price.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:08 PM
CanadiensVault

Sure, we could've handled the media piece better, but that's not the reason we're losing the series. Look no further than the 3rd period for your answer. No killer instinct.

CanadiensVault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Can Michel Therrien stop saying 'tsé' in press conferences when he speaks in french? It's annoying.
I actually love it.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
English players/coaches always say "Y'know", "Y'know what I mean", "Y'know what I'm saying". There's no difference.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:34 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonMonkey View Post
I definitely agree that they seemed to often be playing into exactly what the Senators wanted them to be doing. Therrien had multiple chances to simply use something that the Sens did as fuel in the locker room, and not bite back at them through the media.

I disagree about that game 4 comment about Price though. That was obviously meant as a vote of confidence for Price, that game 3 wasn't all on him, and that it was laughable that they'd move away from him for game 4.

Even Subban's comments before tonight, another good example of giving the Sens more to work with.
Sorry if I'm in the dark, but what did he say?

And I agree with the premise of the OP, Therrien is a hothead and it's not the first time he loses his cool in the playoffs.

But what can you do? Martin was lifeless, and everyone complained then too.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
English players/coaches always say "Y'know", "Y'know what I mean", "Y'know what I'm saying". There's no difference.
Swedish players: uhhhhhhh

Now we need to find Russians and Fins.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:36 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Sorry if I'm in the dark, but what did he say?
Said that the Habs are going to come to play tonight and that they feel they're the better team.

I don't see anything wrong with that but then again I'm a pretty pompous guy who's been likened to Lapierre when I play sports.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:37 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Said that the Habs are going to come to play tonight and that they feel they're the better team.

I don't see anything wrong with that but then again I'm a pretty pompous guy who's been likened to Lapierre when I play sports.
Eh, if that's all then much ado about nothing there.

Subban can say that honestly, he's been our MVP.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Frank Drebin

Crying in my arms...

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Crying in my arms...
Lmaoo I really think he didn't think it sounded as bad in his head before he said it. Still I laugh every time I hear it

Habs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

there is nothing wrong with players saying what they want to say to the media

you guys really want to go back to that Gainey/Gauthier lockdown? We had the most boring organisation of all time, and a terrible one too.

Bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:43 PM
LePoche69

Maybe... But still, beside the #3, they dominate all the games in this series up until now. So it seems they weren't deconcentrate, and it didn't seem to have over-motivate the Sens much.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:46 PM
CaptainBenn
The king is back

MT shouldnt tell the media that Gionta cried on his shoulders... That should stay in the lockerroom

CaptainBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reg Season SC View Post
Swedish players: uhhhhhhh

Now we need to find Russians and Fins.
English Canadian players: ehhhh
French Canadian players: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:52 PM
MrG

Quote:
Bob Cole? Is that you?!?

MrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Media score goals.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Kirk Muller

More never had a handle on the media from day one or about 2 months ago.

The media, CBC, have been humping Karlsson's and the rest of the Sens legs all season.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Not sure where you see any "mis handling" there? I like the attacking of MacLean, it's a good plan to create an "us against them" atmosphere.

I'm pretty sure Budaj knows he only starts if Price is hurt, he knew that when he signed his last contract as well as this one.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Offending Budaj? Come on man.

I'm critical of MT but I think every coach in the NHL would say that. Budaj accepts his role, which is why he re-signed at that low price.
Agreed. The coach's job was to pump his starting goalie, not pump up his backup at his starting goalie's expense. This is pro sports and Price makes 5 times what Budaj does for a reason.

Honestly in terms of the English media, there's not much Therrien could've done. The anti-Montreal bias on CBC is pretty remarkable to watch. The intermission panel is a fricking joke.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Jigger77

Last I heard series are won and lost on the ice.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:31 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yea but the mental aspect is very important. Like freshly re-painting the visitor's dressing room before the game... mind games are part of playoffs hockey and every great coach used these tactics in the past.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:54 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I agree, and thats why trash talking other teams and players post game can be a giant distraction, that seemed to hurt us more than it hurt them. Even the Eller hit I believe was overplayed and our guys should have focused and went out and won that series instead of letting their emotions get the best of them. Tough to play a great game on the ice when you are constantly thinking about revenge.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote